Photo

My thoughts on Darian so far!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Setepenre

Setepenre
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

I love the gorgeous avariel who "thinks" light blue is his favourite colour! He's strong, stalwart, silent, and smexy. And he's not so hardened that he can't open his mind to new possibilities and ways of seeing other races and the world.

I like that. And he kept true to that all the way through SOA.

That said, I must say he also affected me more than I thought! I mean that in a good way! His talks with Aerie actually made me sit here and feel jealous! I know he's "romancing" my pc, but his comments to her, well, a few of them, got my dander up, so to speak! I half hoped (okay, more than half hoped!) he'd tell her to shut up already. LOL

I like the questions and the flirts. However, I wish there more flirts, and that after you are "intimate" with him, that there were a few more daring ones. I don't necessarily mean x-rated or anything, but just a bit more intimate than the ones there are. And I wish there were a few more. His list feels short. I hate to compare him to other mod romances that way, but they've spoiled me! But, keep in mind that WANTING MORE is a huge compliment to both creators/workers on this fantastic character.

Also, I was SO happy to see him voice the same thoughts that I have always wanted to - such as his reactions to Demin's speech about Irenicus. That was absolutely perfect and my feelings EXACTLY! Nicely done!

The Tree of Life left me expecting a little more later, however, and it never came. He says that declarations can wait...but they waited and waited...and never came! I had hoped that they would and felt rather that I was left hanging. SOA is not the entire story, I know, but I usually feel some sort of completion, and with Darian I didn't feel it. I'm just dangling here thinking...isn't there one more dialog? Just one?

However, that is minor and probably in character for him. Besides, TOB has yet to begin (with him) and so more may come in the Pocket Plane.

There is usually a reaction to the "moment of weakness" when you are first reunited with Immy at Spellhold and he said nothing. It felt odd that he said nothing there. And now, darn it, I can't remember if I got the Slayer Change talk upon resting? I don't think I got one, and that felt odd and empty.

Plus, when Anomen fails his Test and kills Aerie...I think it would be appropriate for him to say something about it. I usually don't take Aerie much, but this time I did, Anoman failed his test, kills an Avariel...and he says nothing. Just food for thought.

So, all in all, I was left wanting a few minor things, but overall...

A HUGE TWO THUMBS UP! I love Darien and am beginning a new game with him again just about...now!

Well done! Very, very well done!

Mankind will never be free until the last king is strangled to death by the entrails of the last cleric.

God may be your co-pilot, but never let him take the stick.

#2 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:32 PM

I think you must have missed one of the romantic sequences if you didn't feel it came to completion. There are notes on these in the readme, you might want to check through and see if you saw them all?

#3 Setepenre

Setepenre
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:29 PM

I think you must have missed one of the romantic sequences if you didn't feel it came to completion. There are notes on these in the readme, you might want to check through and see if you saw them all?

Hmmm...I'll check! I read the Readmes, but when they contain spoilers I skim those parts. Perhaps I did miss something? I'll see. I definitely don't want to miss a single thing. Thank you, K'aeloree!

Mankind will never be free until the last king is strangled to death by the entrails of the last cleric.

#4 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 22 January 2011 - 10:31 PM

No problem. There's a certain scene important scene it sounds like you may have missed--with romances, it's often a good idea to check the readme to make sure you've seen everything there is!

#5 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Thank you for the feedback. :)

Flirts: I don't like flirts and don't like writing them. Sorry, but Darian will never be a champion of overt affection.

Tree of Life: Definitely sounds like you missed the final scene of Darian's romance. It's easy to miss, which is precisely why I pointed it out in the readme and how to get it. :P Rest in a forest after killing Bodhi.

Slayer/Spellhold stuff: Darian should have said something after the first Slayer change, and his reaction to Charname's moment of weakness is part of that Spellhold lovetalk. Adding an extra thing for the Imoen chat would have been redundant.

Anomen/Aerie: I completely forgot about that. I never make Anomen fail his test, and I've never actually seen Anomen kill Aerie. Completely slipped my mind - something to add a reaction to in a future version, I suppose.

Aerie: Well, it's kinda deliberate that Darian/Aerie inspire a bit of jealousy on a female Charname's part. :P Darian will admit it overtly in ToB if Charname asks: he is attracted to Aerie. He's pretty bad at expressing such feelings, though, as Charname can attest. However, you don't need to seriously worry about any wandering hearts in ToB - they'll become genuine friends, but Charname takes precedence romantically.

Thank you very much for your feedback and praise. :)

Edited by Tempest, 23 January 2011 - 12:45 PM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#6 Setepenre

Setepenre
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

Thank you for the feedback. :)

Flirts: I don't like flirts and don't like writing them. Sorry, but Darian will never be a champion of overt affection.

****Understood! However, I just think that maybe having 5, say, would be better than 2 or 3. I don't expect a Kelsey list of 20! But I like Darian anyway, so, I'll just deal! *****

Tree of Life: Definitely sounds like you missed the final scene of Darian's romance. It's easy to miss, which is precisely why I pointed it out in the readme and how to get it. :P Rest in a forest after killing Bodhi.

*****Yeah...I thought that part would be too spoilerish. Besides, I wonder if there's a time limit on when to get to a forest? I usually rest in the Crypts. Also, I had Edwin Romance installed, and I wonder if that, even tho it didn't hurt Darian's at all, thank goodness, messed up when I DID rest later on? ******

Slayer/Spellhold stuff: Darian should have said something after the first Slayer change, and his reaction to Charname's moment of weakness is part of that Spellhold lovetalk. Adding an extra thing for the Imoen chat would have been redundant.

*****Ah...true! I probably forgot, since I waited until I had finished SOA before "reviewing." :) ******

Anomen/Aerie: I completely forgot about that. I never make Anomen fail his test, and I've never actually seen Anomen kill Aerie. Completely slipped my mind - something to add a reaction to in a future version, I suppose.

****Yeah..well...I ALWAYS have him fail. (guilty look) Goody goody Anomen annoys me too much! And yes, I had also forgotten that he kills Aerie if he fails his Test. But, yes, please do add in a reaction. It is a pretty important moment, I'd say. ;)*****

Aerie: Well, it's kinda deliberate that Darian/Aerie inspire a bit of jealousy on a female Charname's part. :P Darian will admit it overtly in ToB if Charname asks: he is attracted to Aerie. He's pretty bad at expressing such feelings, though, as Charname can attest. However, you don't need to seriously worry about any wandering hearts in ToB - they'll become genuine friends, but Charname takes precedence romantically.

*****Cool! Otherwise Aerie would have to...uh...lose her armour before the next battle... LOL :P ****

Thank you very much for your feedback and praise. :)

****You're welcome! I'm playing a new game with him, realise that there are NO real spoilers in the Readme, and will make sure to get that forest love talk. I'm positive now that I missed it. And if I have to rest right away, I'll just not let the party rest in the Crypts at all after killing Bodhi, and this time I'm not taking Edwin, just in case he added to the problem. I don't want to take any chances. I'll be sure to let you know how I like it when I reach that part of the game again!*****

#7 -Braewyn-

-Braewyn-

Posted 26 January 2011 - 09:26 AM

I am currently just at the beginning of this Mod, and well.. yes, at the beginning Darian really is more a meanie than anything, but not enough to keep me from playing through this Mod, just to know..

Also how he talks to Aerie.. in one Part I want to scream after playing a little of her Romance: Yes, stop her whining!
On the other Hand, he is really harsh to her and I just want to shut him up sometimes^^" (or for Minsc to do it^^")

Just a little I found. I have skipped a little through the Dialogue-File and found, that for me he skips Love Talk Number 5 completly.
Than Darian asks if he can speak with me, my only Option is "No" and this way I can't get the Class-Talk. This is sad, I love this talk in most Mods^^

I am playing actually right now Triple Class, so that would be the Failure. Where is not talk for such an Option, I think and it doesn't skip to the Class who has the most experience or so..

Just something I found out..

#8 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 10:57 AM

I am currently just at the beginning of this Mod, and well.. yes, at the beginning Darian really is more a meanie than anything, but not enough to keep me from playing through this Mod, just to know..

To be fair, Darian does eventually realize what a jerkass he is/was, though Charname's the only one he'll apologize about it to in SoA.

Also how he talks to Aerie.. in one Part I want to scream after playing a little of her Romance: Yes, stop her whining!
On the other Hand, he is really harsh to her and I just want to shut him up sometimes^^" (or for Minsc to do it^^")

Again, he'll eventually realize how harsh he was. ToB will see him admitting as much. Portraying overall character development in SoA is hard.

Just a little I found. I have skipped a little through the Dialogue-File and found, that for me he skips Love Talk Number 5 completly.
Than Darian asks if he can speak with me, my only Option is "No" and this way I can't get the Class-Talk. This is sad, I love this talk in most Mods^^

I am playing actually right now Triple Class, so that would be the Failure. Where is not talk for such an Option, I think and it doesn't skip to the Class who has the most experience or so..

Hmmm. That slipped through testing - guess no one, myself included, tried a triple-class during testing. My personal computer is still out of commission for the foreseeable future, so that's probably something for K'aeloree to fix. :(

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#9 Setepenre

Setepenre
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, at one point all you can say is "no, not really." But he does, thankfully, talk to you later. It was odd to have that come up, because I also feared that I had somehow screwed up the romance. Imagine my relief when he apologized later and I realised we were on track just fine!

Anyway, I finally DID see that important Forest Lovetalk. I think it just randomly skipped for me. I recall that I HAD rested in a forest at the right time, but maybe the fact that I have a LOT of mods installed...it just skipped. But this time, it ran just fine. So, sorry!

And yes, it really made ALL the difference! I don't feel so "hanging by a thread" now! :)

Still loving him! <3

#10 -Shy-

-Shy-

Posted 08 February 2011 - 02:55 AM

Uhm, hello... looong time lurker here deciding to speak up.
Really enjoying the mod, I like DarianŽs personality and character ("racial slurs" and xenophobia aside), currently in chapter 6 due to restarting another playthrough halfway through my original playthrough.

I even brought along Aerie, which I generally avoid due to a personal dislike for the woman.
To me she possesses several of the worst character traits available to a person; she is a manipulative, whiny, self-absorbed attention-whore, but since I knew that there`d be more interaction in bringing her, I for once did.
I really liked Darian`s exchanges with Aerie, as I see it, he is one of the few good npcs that sees through her manipulation and pretense, everyone else seem to just fall for her machinations which annoys me as player.
I`m rather disappointed to hear that this is not actually the case though, as he will actually romance her in ToB, but writers privilege and users interpretation and all that :) .

I do have some questions if I may ask them here, as the reason I started a new playthrough was I got very uncertain whether the romance had "broken" somehow or if it was a bug or possibly a feature.

The situation was that I had both Anomen and Darian in the party, I had read in the ReadMe that this was safe since IŽd get the option of choosing one at some point.
And so originally, I wasn`t too worried about accidentally ruining the Darian romance due to the Anomen romance having some odd development (you end up in it without actually realizing, simply by not being rude or mean), however everything seemed to go along nicely until I suddenly get a conversation between the two where Darian says something about respecting Anomen and CHARNAME and the choice she made.
Now this would be all well and good, but what choice is he on about here? I never got the option of having CHARNAME choose anyone prior to this conversation, I am here presuming he refers to a choice between which romance to pursue?

This conversation caused me to restart a new game, leaving Anomen out completely to ensure that there would be no accidents, as I had some troubles getting my CLUA-console functioning properly, and the solution I discovered precludes me from using it with these saves, so I can`t check Darians RomanceActive.
But I am wondering if, for future reference, it was possible to ask for the name of Darians romance variable?
As when I got the console up and running,calling getGlobal() with the parameters "DarianRomanceActive" and "GLOBAL" returns an error message saying that no such variable exists.

I don`t mean to presume or impose or anything, but if I may suggest that the ReadMe includes a note on the fact that you will lose all flirts et cetera at some point and that this is intended behaviour and does not mean the romance is broken in any way.
It might just be me, but after the forest talk where all the flirts and the "Can we talk?" vanished, I was really concerned that the romance was broken somehow and I was now experiencing the friendship path.

The previous posters mention a conversation where your only option is to answer "Not really" when Darian asks to talk to you, which I got as well, only I didn`t play triple-class, but dual-class, worked fine when I played single class however.

Wow, this post got to be quite a bit longer than intended, so thanks if you stuck through reading to the end.

Thanks for a great mod, and IŽll be waiting with great anticipation for the ToB portion! :)

#11 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:48 AM

@Aerie: I definitely don't see it as Aerie being manipulative or any of that nonsense. Darian does call her out in ToB on her being (in SoA) absorbed in her own self-pity and refusing to recognize her own strength. Aerie calls Darian out on his harsh, judgmental approach to people and his generally guilty-until-proven-innocent approach to life. Neither of them are perfect, but Aerie is, in my eyes at least, nowhere near as negative as you seem to consider her. Equally, Darian is a deeply flawed individual and Aerie is perfectly justified to call him out on it.

@Anomen: If you got the banter where Darian concedes Charname to Anomen, that meant AnomenRomanceActive went to 2. You did make a choice, and that choice in this case was Anomen. Darian backed off when he saw how close you and Anomen were.

@Globals: The global in question is T1DarRomanceActive. :P

@Forest talk: The intent is for that particular talk to occur right before you hit Suldanessellar. You aren't supposed to have time for more afterwards.

@Class issue: Noted. The beta testers, including me, weren't as careful as I thought. >_>

#12 -Shy-

-Shy-

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:49 AM

@Aerie: I know that this is a point of interpretation of her character, so wasn`t criticising, if it seemed like I was, my apologies.
Suppose I was presenting my interpretation, which isn`t based solely on your mod, so I did not mean that your mod displayed her as more (or less) negative than the impression I already had of her.
Probably wasn`t as clear as I should have been, I simply meant that I enjoyed the exchanges between the two as it was, and I did not mean to imply that characters with no negative traits are more enjoyable in any way, in fact they tend not to be :) .

@Anomen: Ah, it was me who misunderstood then, I thought there would be a more "tangible" decision point, as in some sort of dialogue where youŽd make a distinct choice, but thanks for clearing that up, will be more careful in potential future playthroughs.
But this means I need to actively break off the Anomen romance as in telling him so at some point?

@Globals: Right, thanks! :D

@Forest Talk: Hmm I think we are referring to two different talks now, I mean the one with the rock-slide, 5 innocents, little crushed girl talk, which I think is the Prime-talk, causes the flirts and "Can we talk?" to disable until I hit Spellhold, but then they get re-activated after that, but it was just a long while where I was worried the romance was somehow broken.
The ReadMe states that if the romance is stalled you should move to Spellhold, but I thought that was just for the main romance-talks.

I was also wondering if it is intentional that Darian says nothing to Yoshimo betraying you, or if it was sort of covered by them chatting about "doing what you have to when the time comes", or if I missed something?

Thanks for the very speedy reply and the answers! :D

#13 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:08 AM

@Forest talk: Disabling the flirts there wasn't intentional. Something to fix in the next release, I suppose.

@Yoshimo: Darian has no especially strong reaction to Yoshimo's betrayal. If you were to ask him, he'd simply say that Yoshimo did what he thought he must, and Darian won't fault him for that.

@Anomen: Darian isn't going to interfere with Anomen's romance, and the conditions of Darian's developing relationship with Charname preclude Anomen interfering overtly with that romance - and I don't see Anomen as the type to directly confront Charname or Darian about it. Darian's romance is designed to take a backseat both to Anomen and, if crossmod content is ever developed, other mod romances. It's intentional that Charname has to actively work to pursue the romance - Darian isn't that outgoing, and the nature of the relationship in SoA will have consequences in ToB.