Problem While Delivering Letter to Prelate Wessalen

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 micbaldur

micbaldur

Retired Perkele, Ultimate BWP player

• 1692 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

I have Letter to Prelate Wessalen. I enter Order of the Radiant Heart (AR0903) and go to office.

Prelate Wessalen keeps spawning endlessly. I quickly talk to one of him and he takes the letter (and leaves?). Spawning continues and when i try to talk one of Prelete Wessalen he has nothing to say about Soubar letter until i find the right one and i get the answer to Soubar.

Then the spawning stops and i have many Prelate Wesselan that have nothing to say. Odd.

Edited by micbaldur, 04 February 2011 - 03:27 PM.

CHARNAMEs excellent adventures in the world of BWP expert-install here

Thanks to Leonardo Watson for making this possible

#2 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:34 PM

I have Letter to Prelate Wessalen. I enter Order of the Radiant Heart (AR0903) and go to office.

Prelate Wessalen keeps spawning endlessly. I quickly talk to one of him and he takes the letter (and leaves?). Spawning continues and when i try to talk one of Prelete Wessalen he has nothing to say about Soubar letter until i find the right one and i get the answer to Soubar.

Then the spawning stops and i have many Prelate Wesselan that have nothing to say. Odd.

Strange. I've looked at the script; there are two different 'prelate Wesselan"; when the first one is spawned, he should deactivate "hprelate", and that should prevent him from spawning again. Unless someone tampered with some death variables..
IF
  Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1)
  IsActive("HPRELATE")
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("HPRELATE",Deactivate("HPRELATE"))
    CreateCreature("CBFIXPRE",[348.587],10)
    Continue()
END

IF
  !Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1)
  !IsActive("HPRELATE")
  Exists("CBFIXPRE")
  Delay(3)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("CBFIXPRE",DestroySelf())
    ActionOverride("HPRELATE",Activate("HPRELATE"))
    Continue()
END
Could you attach your area script, hprelate.cre and cbfixpre.cre?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#3 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:47 PM

Strange. I've looked at the script; there are two different 'prelate Wesselan"; when the first one is spawned, he should deactivate "hprelate", and that should prevent him from spawning again. Unless someone tampered with some death variables..

IF
  Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1)
  IsActive("HPRELATE")
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("HPRELATE",Deactivate("HPRELATE"))
    CreateCreature("CBFIXPRE",[348.587],10)
    Continue()
END

IF
  !Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1)
  !IsActive("HPRELATE")
  Exists("CBFIXPRE")
  Delay(3)
THEN
  RESPONSE #100
    ActionOverride("CBFIXPRE",DestroySelf())
    ActionOverride("HPRELATE",Activate("HPRELATE"))
    Continue()
END
Could you attach your area script, hprelate.cre and cbfixpre.cre?

Here they are.
Attached File  AR0903.BAF   7.8K   581 downloads
Attached File  CBFIXPRE.CRE   1.13K   477 downloads
Attached File  HPRELATE.CRE   1.72K   468 downloads
Hope it helps. But i wonder do these NPC comments when enter area might cause trouble. For example Arktivisti Wandering Merchant goes berserk like this spawning endlessly sometimes when NPC comment or something like that happens appearing first when enter new area.

Well i playing right now and also watching this funny Mike Prolla drama. He He :D

#4 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:40 AM

Might have found the problem

If Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1) and hprelate is active
SoS (through area script) spawns a new version of the prelate (cbfixpre) and deactivates hprelate (which should prevent the spawning to occur again).
but Check the Bodies gives hprelate a script (CBXTRSDS) which activates it under particular circumstances.
Spoiler

Therefore, the area script deactivates hprelate and spawns CBFIXPRE, then HPRELATE re-activates himself, and the area script is triggered again, thus creating an endless spawning.

I don't know CtB so I can't be sure that the conditions for the re-activation of HPRELATE are met in your case, but this could explain the issue (especially the forelast block, which does not include shouts, anyone becoming enemy,...).

Possible fixes (if this is really the issue): as I don't know the mod, I don't know which of the two quests should 'dominate', so there are two possibilities:
1- Change the ctb script: instead of just re-activating, you should also Destroy cbfixpre and set CbStopPrelate to some strange number (this causes the SoS quest to be broken if you make the prelate angry due to the CtB quest)
2- add a condition to all blocks that trigger if he's not active:
!Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1) would prevent him from re-activating till the letter-quest is finished, thus saving the SoS quest.
I don't know which would be more realistic (the first one, perhaps?); another option would be to remove cbfixpre and just add some more dialogues to hprelate, with the sos content

edit: I would not, on the other hand, use a "spawn-variable" (which is set to 1 when he's spawned, and is checked to be 0 in order to spawn) which would only prevent him from spawning more than once, but not really solve the problem; it would cause two prelates to exist together

Edited by Turambar, 30 January 2011 - 02:42 AM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#5 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:22 AM

Might have found the problem

If Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1) and hprelate is active
SoS (through area script) spawns a new version of the prelate (cbfixpre) and deactivates hprelate (which should prevent the spawning to occur again).
but Check the Bodies gives hprelate a script (CBXTRSDS) which activates it under particular circumstances.

Spoiler

Therefore, the area script deactivates hprelate and spawns CBFIXPRE, then HPRELATE re-activates himself, and the area script is triggered again, thus creating an endless spawning.

I don't know CtB so I can't be sure that the conditions for the re-activation of HPRELATE are met in your case, but this could explain the issue (especially the forelast block, which does not include shouts, anyone becoming enemy,...).

Possible fixes (if this is really the issue): as I don't know the mod, I don't know which of the two quests should 'dominate', so there are two possibilities:
1- Change the ctb script: instead of just re-activating, you should also Destroy cbfixpre and set CbStopPrelate to some strange number (this causes the SoS quest to be broken if you make the prelate angry due to the CtB quest)
2- add a condition to all blocks that trigger if he's not active:
!Global("CbStopPrelate","GLOBAL",1) would prevent him from re-activating till the letter-quest is finished, thus saving the SoS quest.
I don't know which would be more realistic (the first one, perhaps?); another option would be to remove cbfixpre and just add some more dialogues to hprelate, with the sos content

edit: I would not, on the other hand, use a "spawn-variable" (which is set to 1 when he's spawned, and is checked to be 0 in order to spawn) which would only prevent him from spawning more than once, but not really solve the problem; it would cause two prelates to exist together

Thank you. :coolthumb:

Oh.. ah.. :blink: You want me too what? :blink:

I think that i let Hoppy to take care of this. I'm only a humble player no modder so that's all greek to me and i'm not from Greece. :D

Fortunately i'm rather late in stage in SoA. After Soubar i'm going to Suldanesselar and to Hell then TDD Main Quest and then probably ToB. So i don't probably need (any of those 13) Prelate Wessalen any more. Well at least i hope i don't know for sure.

#6 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thank you. :coolthumb:

Oh.. ah.. :blink: You want me too what? :blink:

I think that i let Hoppy to take care of this. I'm only a humble player no modder so that's all greek to me and i'm not from Greece. :D

Fortunately i'm rather late in stage in SoA. After Soubar i'm going to Suldanesselar and to Hell then TDD Main Quest and then probably ToB. So i don't probably need (any of those 13) Prelate Wessalen any more. Well at least i hope i don't know for sure.

yeah, that was a general hint for whoever will take care of this (Hoppy?)

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#7 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

yeah, that was a general hint for whoever will take care of this (Hoppy?)

Yes it's Hoppy.

Well thanks anyway. :coolthumb: I hope it will be fixed before my next BWP install.

Edited by micbaldur, 30 January 2011 - 09:30 AM.

#8 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:20 AM

@ micbaldur: could you please also attach hprelate's dialogue file?
I think it's Hprelate.dlg
Thanks

Perhaps, SoS could only patch the dialogue (using weights) instead of adding a new prelate.

Edited by Turambar, 01 February 2011 - 03:33 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#9 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:48 AM

Thanks

Perhaps, SoS could only patch the dialogue (using weights) instead of adding a new prelate.

Of course. Here's the file.
Attached File  HPRELATE.DLG   31.15K   494 downloads

#10 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:57 AM

Thanks

Of course. Here's the file.
Attached File  HPRELATE.DLG   31.15K   494 downloads

thanks. Unfortunately, I can't see all modded string references
could you please decompile it and post the .d file (just command line, from your game folder, weidu.exe hprelate.dlg )

the fix is almost ready, but I need to know something more about the prelate's dialogue

edit: no need; I've managed to get the fix working; it still needs testing, but I hope it can be useful for the next version.
I'm not sure if it can break anything else, but it shouldn't: the weight does not interfere with more urgent states from other mods.
I've added some extra-replies which allow to also ask for help for the solamnic knights/against Bodhi, instead of asking for the letter, even when the conditions for the SOS dialogue are met

1. Remove following lines from .tp2
EXTEND_TOP ~AR0903.BCS~ ~SOS/SNIP/tAR0903.BAF~

COPY + ~SoS/CRE/CBFIXPRE.CRE~ ~SOS-CRE~

2. Delete following files:
SOS/SNIP/tAR0903.BAF
SOS/CRE/cbfixpre.cre
SOS/D/cbfixpre.d

3. Add following lines to .tp2:
COPY_EXISTING - ~hprelate.dlg~ ~override~
 READ_LONG 0x110 weight
BUT_ONLY

COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER ~SOS/DLG/cbfixpre.d~
(the first part should read the weight of the state which leads to the paladin stronghold; the SOS dialogue is then appended with that same weight, so that it triggers just 'after' that state)
4. Create a new DLG folder in the SOS folder and put attached file inside:

Edited by Turambar, 01 February 2011 - 07:17 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#11 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 12:23 AM

@micbaldur: do you still have a save just before that bug occurred? If you do, please tell me, because I could give you a fix to test

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#12 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:29 AM

@micbaldur: do you still have a save just before that bug occurred? If you do, please tell me, because I could give you a fix to test

I'm have still multiple saves from Soubar before and after the Prelate Wessalen. Well not just before at Temple but not far away from it at Soubar.

#13 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:57 AM

I'm have still multiple saves from Soubar before and after the Prelate Wessalen. Well not just before at Temple but not far away from it at Soubar.

That's great. Could you please keep that save?
I'll prepare a way to install that fix on your game; when I post it, could you please test it (I'll tell you what I need when it's ready)? TIA

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#14 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

That's great. Could you please keep that save?
I'll prepare a way to install that fix on your game; when I post it, could you please test it (I'll tell you what I need when it's ready)? TIA

Ok. I'll test it.

#15 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

Ok. I'll test it.

Thanks. Here it is; please install it, load that game you were talking about (before giving the letter to the prelate) and go there with the letter; when you enter, wait a few moments and count the prelates (there should be only one and he could be away at night; if there's none, try returning a bit later). If that's ok, talk to him and please screenshot the first dialog state, so that I can see the possible answers.
Thank you very much for your cooperation

edit: I've corrected the fix; now it works.
If you have SoS in other languages and you still have the SoS folder, you can edit the .tp2 file in the tu_wassalen folder (with any text editor such as wordpad) in order to have the fixed dialogue in your language: after USING ~, just replace tu_wassalen/ with the path to the SoS language directory (eg USING ~SOS/LANGUAGE/italian/cbfixpre.d~

Attached Files

Edited by Turambar, 03 February 2011 - 05:07 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#16 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Thanks. Here it is; please install it, load that game you were talking about (before giving the letter to the prelate) and go there with the letter; when you enter, wait a few moments and count the prelates (there should be only one and he could be away at night; if there's none, try returning a bit later). If that's ok, talk to him and please screenshot the first dialog state, so that I can see the possible answers.
Thank you very much for your cooperation

I ran to problem. It won't install.

Here Debug file.
Attached File  SETUP-TU_WASSALEN.DEBUG   68.27K   428 downloads

Hopely this Cleanup-bat didn't cause this. I was stupid and run it back on May last year when made this BWP install. I know better now not to run it.

#17 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

ops my mistake! Here's the (hopefully) correct tp2 file; copy it into the tu_wassalen folder and overwrite the wrong one

And here's the dialog file which was missing (to be put into the same folder):

Edited by Turambar, 02 February 2011 - 02:13 PM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#18 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

It didn't install.

Here's Debug.
Attached File  SETUP-TU_WASSALEN.DEBUG   70.72K   451 downloads

#19 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:15 PM

It didn't install.

Here's Debug.
Attached File  SETUP-TU_WASSALEN.DEBUG   70.72K   451 downloads

I'm sorry, I had it in the wrong folder and forgot to upload the dialogue file (always to be put into the same folder)

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#20 micbaldur

micbaldur

• 1692 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

Ok i tested. Only one Prelate Wessalen.

Here's screenshot.
Attached File  Baldr001.bmp   2.25MB   564 downloads

Also rest of the talk went ok. He takes the letter and then reads it. I talk him again he says what he should say no help for Soubar and so on.

I had also forgot previously talk Prelate Wessalen about rescuing Sir Ajantis NPC and that talk went ok after the Soubar talk ended.

Edited by micbaldur, 02 February 2011 - 02:35 PM.