Photo

Windows 7 help.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Civian

Civian
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

Hi to anyone who can help or is having the same problem.

I'm trying to import my BG1 character into BG2. So I copied my character into the appropriate file and saved over the CHAR1 from BG2. When I try to import the character at Character Gen, the char from BG2 that I saved over pops up.

I have another problem where I can't mod the character in Near Infinity or mod it mid-game by opening the save file (I need to take the saved game folder OUT of the folder and drag into the main folder, change it and drag it back in)

I know it this is because of the compatibility file thing, so I guess my question is that does anybody know how to modify these files so they are importable etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

Cheers.
[Sign here please]

The tragedy of life is not in the fact of death, but what dies inside of us while we live - Norman M. Cousins

Live with confidence and joy. There is so much beauty and wonder in this world. Seek it.

Posted Image

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:09 AM

I'm trying to import my BG1 character into BG2. So I copied my character into the appropriate file and saved over the CHAR1 from BG2. When I try to import the character at Character Gen, the char from BG2 that I saved over pops up.

Install the game to anywhere else than the default Program Files folder... and do the following.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Civian

Civian
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Hi Jarno,
Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Uhm, when I search for the "gpedit.msc" file, the search doesn't come up with anything. I tried searching for it on the system - it brought up some relevant files but most of them could not be opened due to the MCC snap-in file not being created and those that did opened the group policy editor.

Is there a specific path where his file is located?

thanks again.
[Sign here please]

The tragedy of life is not in the fact of death, but what dies inside of us while we live - Norman M. Cousins

Live with confidence and joy. There is so much beauty and wonder in this world. Seek it.

Posted Image

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Uhm, when I search for the "gpedit.msc" file, the search doesn't come up with anything. I tried searching for it on the system - it brought up some relevant files but most of them could not be opened due to the MCC snap-in file not being created and those that did opened the group policy editor.

Is there a specific path where his file is located?

The Windows is stupid enough to not find every possible combination without being enough specific, the "regedit.exe" can only be found with "regedit"(both without the quotes), as it finds from "r" to "regedi" other things :doh: , especially if you have not enabled the find hidden files, don't know about this, but... the file is in the C:\Windows\System32\ or C:\Windows\Sytem64\ -folder if the C drive is the system drive.
Posted Image
FAQ updated... :D

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 05 February 2011 - 01:39 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 LonerAoshi

LonerAoshi
  • Validating
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

An easier way to start system tools like gpedit.msc or services.msc is to simply hit Windows Key+R (ie bring up the run dialog box) and just type in "gpedit.msc". That way you don't have to go looking for it.

Posted Image

#6 The Arcanamach

The Arcanamach
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

I couldnt find anywhere else to post this problem so here goes. I am unable to play a multiplayer game for BG/BGII on Window 7. Ive never had this problem before and dont know how to solve it. The closest I got was Shed's info here about opening ports. Unfortunately there is no more info on that thread on HOW to do it. I usually play a 'Serial' game so I can export/import my character at will. My wife is also interested in playing so I may setup a TCP/IP game.

And just in case this step in necessary...My attempts to find gpedit was a success (using Jarno's method...the 'Run' option never finds it) but the computer tells me I cant open it without the appropriate software. That leads me to a search in which I would have to download a .dll file opener. Is this safe/recommended? I have no other way of getting into it. Or is there a Windows update I should look for?