Dustman Robes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 -Kriztaen-

-Kriztaen-

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:02 PM

I suppose this would be the best place to ask this as it is technically a "tweak" of sorts (I apologize in advance if there is a more appropriate forum to place this topic/post)

After quite a few years (nearly a decade) I am replaying and enjoying PS:T (spent the past month or so replaying all my favourite old Black Isle/Troika/etc. games with the lastest and best mods/fixes)

One thing that bugged me very much though when I first played this game (and that is bugging me now) is the fact that I can not use Dustman Robes outside the Mortuary. The fact that it does not have animations for anything other than fists and daggers doesn't really bother me since I want it mainly for a Mage. I love playing (and especially roleplaying) diplomat/strategist/mages in RPGs and it always kinda rubbed me the wrong way how in PS:T I am for the most part looking like a barbarian in loincloth...

I have been tearing out my hair trying to figure out how to remove the restrictions on area use for the robes, after giving up on that for a while I instead decided to do a bit of messing around with alternative armors. I downloaded the Armor/Robes mod and was dissapointed to find the armors had new animations but the robes did not.

Of course I tried to do the obvious/logical thing and simply use the "Animation Change" effect which was working just fine for the armors and simply add it to the robes using the "Nameless One as Dustman" animations.

The "(cl 1) Nameless as Dustman" does nothing other than make little black dots blink on and off on TNO's chest and the actual "Nameless One, Dustman Disguise" causes the game to crash regardless of where I use it (funny enough I went through every single other animation and all others worked save for the "Nameless One" animations.

This is frustrating to say the least. I was hoping perhaps someone here might know of a workaround? I would really appreciate any help on the subject.

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:12 PM

I tried to do the same as you before, and got similar results. IIRC, the Dustman disguise for TNO is tied to a Global variable (or more, attached to the Mortuary I presume), and that's why simply changing the animation doesn't work. I think.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 -Kriztaen-

-Kriztaen-

Posted 13 February 2011 - 03:53 PM

Well, I know that Platter managed to make a "TNO-Dustman" mod which changed TNO to look like he was in Dustman Robes at all times. What I am trying to do is replicate the effect, only instead of making it the perma-sprite for TNO, I instead am trying to connect it to a piece of armor.

I've pretty much given up on making the Original robes "world accessible" and am now just trying to find out how I can get something else to carry that. I know it's almost stupid on my part to be doing so when there is already something out there that makes you have the look, but really I am doing it purely for roleplaying reasons (something the game is heavy on).

Funny thing is how the devs made the game in such a way that you really incorporate who TNO becomes, but they don't seem to take into account that some of us don't wanna look like a half naked gray barbarian all the time x

#4 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 04:19 PM

Well, I know that Platter managed to make a "TNO-Dustman" mod which changed TNO to look like he was in Dustman Robes at all times. What I am trying to do is replicate the effect, only instead of making it the perma-sprite for TNO, I instead am trying to connect it to a piece of armor.

Yeah, I had that one before Qwinn's mods arrived. But since it was in .IAP format or some such, I never managed to extract it properly to see exactly how he did it.

If Qwinn comes back, I'll ask him to include this in the tweakpack.

#5 -serotonin-

-serotonin-

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, I had that one before Qwinn's mods arrived. But since it was in .IAP format or some such, I never managed to extract it properly to see exactly how he did it.

If Qwinn comes back, I'll ask him to include this in the tweakpack.

If its the old mod I recall, all there is to it is a "resdata.ini" file dropped into the override folder with a few edited lines pertaining to TNO's appearance sprite, changing it to the dustman disguise sprite.

I could see how there might be problems editing the existing vanilla dustman robe item to not be bound to the mortuary area, but I don't see why a custom, completely new equippable item couldn't be created that uses the dustman disguise sprite.

Frankly, I'm amazed its never been done.

#6 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

I dunno what platter's mod did, probably some haxie work around to get robes to show up. There really is only one main check that is controlled by exe. I don't see anything in scripts or globals. Basically one function checks if TNO is currently in is AR0201/AR0202/AR0203 (ie. Mortuary). If not, then it won't let you equip the robe or even display it if it's equipped. Anyway, patching this function to always be true is best solution. So game thinks you're still in Mortuary zone and allows you to wear robes. You'll have to obtain dustman's robes tho, it won't be automatic. But it will allow you to equip them outside normal areas. This also won't make any changes to restrictions to animations or how robes work in Mortuary. It just disables hardcoded area check preventing robes from being used outside.

search: E9 57 FF FF FF 8B 45 F4 8B E5 5D C3 55 8B EC 51
replace: E9 57 FF FF FF 8B 45 F4 8B E5 5D C3 33 C0 40 C3

Unless someone can find any problems (there shouldn't be), I'll include this in next round of updates as tweak for those that would like it.

Edited by scient, 08 February 2012 - 07:46 PM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#7 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:58 PM

That's great, scient. Thanks! :Bow:

#8 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:28 PM

Yah, I was just skimming through posts on here and noticed this. Took like 15-20 mins to look into and come up with patch data. :)

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#9 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:46 AM

scient, do u look at all the old posts? i'm asking this because several bug reports were made in the 4 planescape sub-forums while you and Qwinn didnt post/werent here and i fear the fact that you and qwinn wont look at all of them due the age/bad reports/etc. :|

#10 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:34 AM

Such as? I do try to skim through even old posts but I might of overlooked them.

#11 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

for example, i know this isnt your area but you'll understand what i mean, in fixpack section, a dude went through the mortuary files and found that some zombies werent implemented by Qwinn, my fear is that kind of thing for smallest that may be, may not be put in the game. ;)

#12 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:24 PM

Yah, I never really messed around with those type of things. Can you post a link to specific thread or post you're talking about? I mean, I understand how scripts and stuff work but that was always Qwinn's domain. He did say to me in PM he was interested in working on patch some more like last month so will see.

#13 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

I think this is thread, and I would let Qwinn handle this when he has time. I'd have to read up on how to do IE modding to get everything working properly which I don't really have time at the moment. Its bad enough to find time to work on engine fixes heh.

http://www.shsforums...506#entry472506

#14 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

I think this is thread, and I would let Qwinn handle this when he has time. I'd have to read up on how to do IE modding to get everything working properly which I don't really have time at the moment. Its bad enough to find time to work on engine fixes heh.

http://www.shsforums...506#entry472506

meh, that's exactly the post i was talking about, why did you make the search? i was searching this for some time just to post it for you. :P

dont worry about the zombies, i only mentioned this because of the fear this small stuff could be overlooked, that's all. ;)

my recommendation to prevent this would be going from the oldest to the newest post to see what's worth fixing/changing with you and Qwinn caring each for your own forum/area of course ;) this when each of you have the time and will to do it. ;)

thanks for looking at this.

#15 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Yah I do this for time to time (like with OT) and make notes. I have in my project folder a txt file with my own set of notes that I've made of stuff I'm working on or want to look into. I'm sure Qwinn has a similar system where he keeps notes of stuff he was working on or wanted to work on.

As for search term, I did an advanced search for PST section only with display results as topics (easier to find buried posts) for "zombies". :lol: It's great that search finally works now after forum upgrade.

#16 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yah I do this for time to time (like with OT) and make notes. I have in my project folder a txt file with my own set of notes that I've made of stuff I'm working on or want to look into. I'm sure Qwinn has a similar system where he keeps notes of stuff he was working on or wanted to work on.

i see, good to know that.

As for search term, I did an advanced search for PST section only with display results as topics (easier to find buried posts) for "zombies". :lol: It's great that search finally works now after forum upgrade.

i did the same but with the word "mortuary" ;)

#17 -Reekwind-

-Reekwind-

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:51 AM

Hello, just want to point out that platter's dustman robe causes a crash when entering alley of dangerous angles. If I swtich the original resdata.ini back, I can enter fine, but if I'm using the robe resdata, CTD when entering, at least form market entrance.

I'm using latest fixpaks, tweakpaks etc.