Help wanted: WHAT IS A MEGAMOD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 -Orphiex-

-Orphiex-

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

Before anyone posts any kind of comment, I would like to point out that I have gone through seven different explanations and FAQs and not one of them has provided sufficiently simple answers to the questions that I am asking here. Not that it's your fault. You guys operate at a higher level of programming and gaming than I do, so I might have missed this. But I would like explanations of one thing.

Several FAQs describe a megamod as being two or more big modifications being installed together. But lots of people also reference packs like Check the Bodies, The Darkest Day and Shadows over Soubar as being mega-modifications all by themselves. So I'm asking:

Are these stand-alone mega-modifications just packs of new quests and content that integrate themselves into the original games, or are they Total Conversion mods which would make it impossible to play the original game without a reinstall?

And yes, I have read the explanation on how to make multiple backups of a game, so that I can run as many different ones as I want. But this is my first time at this, so I only want to run BGT and a few extra little mods. I just want to understand this first.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Several FAQs describe a megamod as being two or more big modifications being installed together. But lots of people also reference packs like Check the Bodies, The Darkest Day and Shadows over Soubar as being mega-modifications all by themselves.

Well, the CtB, TDD, BGT and SOS are big mods, and they were originally all Total Conversion mods... which they kinda still are, but they can all be installed if you do it properly with the tools provided to you... and that's Megamoding to you.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 -Orphiex-

-Orphiex-

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thanks, but while that helps, it doesn't really answer the big question. Let me rephrase it:

If I install a megamod properly with the tools provided to me, will it drastically rewrite or replace the original main storyline of the game?

#4 superbai

superbai
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

Storyline wise, no. Most of the mods will add NEW quests, NPCs, and stuff, and maybe make small changes to some parts of the original game- in order to incorporate the new contents. But the MAIN storyline will still be the same for you to enjoy from the beginning to the end.

#5 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:38 PM

I would suggest that all the mods are Partial Conversions than Total Conversions, since they all add stuff to the same storyline, but some mods may slightly change the mechanics of parts of the storyline. But in essence, you will still play the main storyline that game with BG1, BG2, ToB.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:18 PM

But the MAIN storyline will still be the same for you to enjoy from the beginning to the end.

Well, there are new opportunities in the main story, as in a new faction is added to content with the Shadow Thieves and the other group, but you'll still need to go and get Imoen and then kill the evil bastards(Sarevok & Irenicus ++++)... only to be given a chance to resurrect them :P (yes, that's new content from a mod)... and fight for the throne of bhaal(the original end of ToB + and additional content). That's totally non spoiler free comment, but near it.

What comes to the Partial Conversions vs. Total Conversion; well, had they been partial, there would never had been a version that the BGT's story line is played before the CtB's start, after all the CtB is the characters early days in the Candlekeep, milking cows as little child, and the BGT is the story played in their early adulthood during and after the escape from the Candlekeep. Nor one of the big mods had ever been made... as a continuation for the Shadows of Amn when the Throne of Bhall wasn't available for everyone, yet. Yes it was later then first converted to ToB and then to the BiG Picture Megamod Combo, but the story line brings this forth a bit, let alone say what the Never Ending Journey's twists would bring into the whole plot line... as said, they were, originally... as you cannot play the original BGT & TDD without any other synchronization tools/mods.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 February 2011 - 03:22 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 LonerAoshi

LonerAoshi
  • Validating
  • 24 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 02:07 AM

I think the only two things from the original storyline that are extensively changed are the addition of a third faction to the Shadow Thieves and Vampires (can't remember which mod does that) and the addition of much greater free will in ToB (from the Wheels of Prophecy mod). That doesn't mean that the old storyline has been replaced, you can still do virtually everything the same way you would in a vanilla game. You just get more options regarding how to go about things.

Oh, and the Vault mod for BG. If it's you're first time playing that through without reading about the mod, then at some point you'll go Posted Image before realising what you need to do. At least, I did.