Font problem with Near Infinity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ABlake

ABlake
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Hi,
I have BGT with a lot of mods installed. Now I want to edit something in the file DIALOG.TLK using Near Infinity. The problem is, every time I click the "Save" button (even if I don't make any changes,) then close and open the file again with NI, there's an annoying font problem: 90% of all the ' are replaced with the question mark ?, like he's becomes he?s, or I'll becomes I?ll. Originally there are only 4 of these errors in the whole file, but I just click "Save" and they'll be all over the place and there're too many of them to correct all manually.

Someone already told me to use a batch file with REPLACE_TEXTUALLY to fix this problem, but it didn't work. I have no idea why. This is what he gave me:

BACKUP ~Dialog_tlk editing~
AUTHOR ~anita_blake~
BEGIN ~Change *?*s with *'*~
ALTER_TLK BEGIN
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~\?\([a-zA-Z]\)~ ~'\1~
END

I just want to edit some minor stuff, but this problem won't let me do that. I used to mess with the dialog file of Baldur's Gate 1 many times, but this never happens.

Anyone has any idea? I guess maybe the mods for BGT use some kinda different font when they add entries to the dialog file or something...

Edited by ABlake, 27 February 2011 - 01:21 AM.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:28 AM

Which version of Near Infinity are you using ?
Open the program, push the Help and About Near Infinity ... if you don't know where to look.

The problem with the ' s comes probably because your default program language has different mark than the '. So try this:

If you have a different codepage and wish to change it manually yourself (and only if), you can set the default system locale for non-Unicode applications to English. This can be done as follows on Windows systems:
* Start ->
* Control Panel ->
* Regional and Language Settings in Classic View OR:

Clock, Language and Region -> Region and Languages, in the fancy view ->

* Click on the Advanced or Administrative tab ->
* Then where it talks about non-Unicode programs, change the language to English(United States) ->
* Then remember to click the Apply. And you need to restart the computer for it to actually take effect.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 February 2011 - 01:30 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 ABlake

ABlake
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

I checked the language. It's already in English (United States.)
My NI version is 1.32.
I don't think it's because of the language, because I had no problem with BG1 dialog.tlk.

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

I checked the language. It's already in English (United States.)
My NI version is 1.32.

Try the latest, v1.33b20 from here. The "2010-12-19"...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 February 2011 - 09:34 AM.

#5 ABlake

ABlake
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

It seems things are good now. I replaced the old version with the new one, and it did do the trick. Is this really a problem of NI version??

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help and the link bro. Cheers!

#6 Rana

Rana
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:51 AM

Oh my god, thank you for posting this. I've had this issue too and it's been driving me crazy.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:05 AM

Is this really a problem of NI version??

I would assume so, but it's easy to assume, as the program has actually been updated 20 times between the two versions, and compiled a few hundred times between them and the programming checking has progressed a bit during the 5 years between two. ^_^