Photo

Baldur's Gate 3?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:13 AM

Would you like Baldur's Gate 3 if it ever came out? Or would you prefer a mod to BG2 ToB that happens some 30 years later?

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:32 AM

No to both. Let Baldur's Gate rest in peace - the story is complete.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#3 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:33 AM

I agree with Tempest. Another BG game now would only ruin things.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:13 AM

Ouh, you two are totally helpless, see there's a mod that's... well, was coming out, with the theme mentioned above. :whistling:
The maker is occupied with RL, whatever that is and so cannot promise anything for now... now don't fall on that joke, please.

Now, the third Baldur's Gate game is already out, it was nothing like the first 2+extensions, but it had the same title, so it's not likely even that a Baldur's Gate 3 will ever come out.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:52 AM

Ouh, you two are totally helpless, see there's a mod that's... well, was coming out, with the theme mentioned above. :whistling:
The maker is occupied with RL, whatever that is and so cannot promise anything for now... now don't fall on that joke, please.

I know about that mod, but I'd prefer your old companions in said BG3 (even if it's just a mod).

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

I know about that mod, but I'd prefer your old companions in said BG3 (even if it's just a mod).

And who would go fighting against a god of murder ?
The abilities that that level characters have are totally our of other world.

The only other kind of mod that I could think is "The Journey of Gorion"...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 March 2011 - 11:36 AM.

#7 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Now, the third Baldur's Gate game is already out, it was nothing like the first 2+extensions, but it had the same title, so it's not likely even that a Baldur's Gate 3 will ever come out.

I consider Dark Alliance more of a spin-off... a really, really awful spin-off that I'd like to forget.

#8 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:34 AM

I am extreme anti-BG3. No, I don't ever want to see it. The story is complete. Let it be.

#9 AndrewB

AndrewB
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

hm, a continuation or extension of the Child of Bhaal saga doesn't interest me, but I don't think it necessarily has to be contain the same plot, protagonist, characters or even be in the same time frame to bear the name Baldur's Gate. There are tons of different angles you could explore for a new iteration of the series that don't involve a linear continuation. The Child of Bhaal and company certainly weren't the only adventurers before or since in the forgotten realms whose tales would be worth telling. It could be a parallel story of another company of adventurers during the events of the Child of Bhaal Saga. You could set it during the Time of Troubles. You could tell Gorion's story, or heck, even Sarevok's story before it's inevitable conclusion at Baldur's Gate. Or you could choose to break from continuity entirely and just wipe the slate clean; tell a different story, with a new cast of characters. Final Fantasy (love it or hate it) has stayed alive for years and years because it's managed to reinvent itself. It doesn't need to have any continuity.

To me, Baldur's Gate is about a riveting story, memorable characters, excellent gameplay based on one of the most intricate, complex, and fun games ever created and exploring one of the coolest and most popular campaign settings D&D has to offer. Can a Baldur's Gate game ever be about anything other than a certain Bhaalspawn? I think it can.
BEGIN BIFFING

ACTION_IF!(FILE_EXISTS ~McFly~) THEN BEGIN
SAY ~BUTTHEAD!~
Posted Image
END BIFFING

#10 Bane

Bane

Grand Master Noober

• 1472 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:20 AM

Would love to see a BG3 though with today's market they would probably ruin it.

I've always wanted a BG3 since a 'After the end' mod was in the works like 7 years ago but the poor girl who was working on it lost everything during a power surge.

Had a portrait similar to princesspurpleblob actually, lol!

Though ideally with the 4th edition setting it would no longer work, they should just start a new franchise and return to the roots of roleplay, dungeons and dragons and maybe do something with Bhaal or completely remove his essence from the river beneath that bridge :D

Edited by Bane, 28 April 2011 - 07:22 AM.

Power for the Keep, Power for the Zhentarim!

Defy me and die!

Posted Image

#11 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

Would love to see a BG3 though with today's market they would probably ruin it.

I've always wanted a BG3 since a 'After the end' mod was in the works like 7 years ago but the poor girl who was working on it lost everything during a power surge.

Though ideally with the 4th edition setting it would no longer work, they should just start a new franchise and return to the roots of roleplay, dungeons and dragons and maybe do something with Bhaal or completely remove his essence from the river beneath that bridge :D

Hmmmm.... I agree with you on this statement. And I do not believe that 4th Edition rules would work with a world and setting that uses the 2nd Edition rule set. (<CHARNAME>: I thought that Kobolds were little yapping cat-dogs that bark? Martin: They changed it for the next generation because dinosaurs and lizards rock.)

But the largest problem would be what is game canon and what is not game canon. For example: In Fallout: New Vegas, the people that made F3:NV put into the game that the Chosen One had a child with either Mrs. Bishop or her daughter. But that is not what my Chosen One did. And Baldur's Gate 2 assumes that you had Minsc and Jaheria and that you did not finish the game with Shar-Teel or Brawin. The best sequel product that dealt with game canon was KOTOR2 which had you answer some questions about what Revan was like, and if Revan was a female or male. So if it is a sequel of the children of Bhaal, then the role of Canon is very tricky. And most games assume that you were a good person in the game, that you saved the world and did nothing bad. ( See Fallout and BG2:SOA) And Baldur's Gate TOB had you become a good god even if you were murdering Halflings and wanted to become the new lord of Murder. just because you said something wrong.
And the largest problem would be who got romanced.

Because if you are a male <CHARNAME>, you have the choice of Jaheria, Aerie, or Viconia based only on the Vanilla game. And females: You know, tis the reason Chloe was made. :lol:

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance just has Edwina because he always turns into a girl. :lol: So the biggest problem is the Canon.

But when I finished the Baldur's Gate Bhaal sage, I saw some things and some characters that could go into the third one, but if Baldur's Gate III will only destroy everything: then let it rest in peace and in our computers.

So the only question is what is Game Canon and what is not Game Canon. And KOTOR2:The Sith lords was a good example of a game sequel when it dealt with possible romance canon even if it does not talk about one person that could have be romanceable.

But it would be interesting if the <CHARNAME> in Baldur's Gate III is a child of <CHARNAME>, Imoen, Veikang, Savorak?, or some other Bhaal Child. And Imoen only did not become a god because she gave up her Bhaal Essence, and Veikang could have had a family after being cured of his strange illness that caused him to jump to other parts of the map.

Edited by Neane, 28 April 2011 - 11:33 PM.

#12 princesspurpleblob

princesspurpleblob

Princess

• 329 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 01:59 AM

What? >.> No one steals my portrait!! *shakes fist*

#13 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 04:39 AM

My answer is no because I think it's too late for BG3.

I wish that back in the day ToB had been BG3 rather than just an expansion to BG2.

#14 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Baldur's Gate 3 itself would be a bad idea overall. However, Baldur's Gate is named for the town, and not for the Child of Bhaal, that was the story for the first game and they continued it for the second. Ironically, the game probably should have been renamed for the sequel since Baldur's Gate isn't a locale you can visit again.

That said I think a NEW Baldur's Gate game could be *emphasis could be* well done, if it is handled properly. New story line but keeping the locations and expanding on it. There can be references to what happened with the Child of Bhaal but the story would have to be completely new. As far as choices of character, it seems canon assumes a good player, so there wouldnt be that much loss in following canon, since none of the characters would be the same. You *might* have a character who could be a distant relation of one of the NPC's as nod to the original games.

There have been a lot of great advancements in game design, and one area that I think RPG's failed to utilize is the sandbox style games. Oblivion touched on it, but it was still a pushed story line in an open environment. I think it could be done better, and Baldur's Gate would fir that bill a little better then newer franchises as graphics do suffer in the sandbox design, graphically Baldur's Gate is around that threshold now, so translating it into a new game is plausible.

Again, the main determining factor is if it is done right. Of course the original companies and designers could not be involoved beyond a hand full. So it would probably be best handled by a new starting company that will be trying a little harder to make a name for themselves. Of course then there IS the issue of who owns the name rights in VG for Baldur's Gate; and Forgotten Realms: and Dungeons & Dragons. Those have been largely absorbed by larger compaines who seem more then content to let this franchise sit.

Interestingly enough Atari did come out 3 years ago and say they wanted to revisit Baldur's Gate franchise. No news has come out about this since then, but even then they said it would not be for at least a year before they looked at it. So... who knows?

Then again many would point at Neverwinter Nights and say there is the sequels
Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD

#15 Neane

Neane
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:39 AM

Hmm.. I believe that Neverwinter Nights does nod towards thr Baldur's Gate series with a member of the Jansen family.
And yes, I have found that great RPG games come from small-time companies, however they must try to keep on the cost and time even more than big companies. ( A lot of missing stuff from Black Isle studios.) And yes, a sandbox approach would work greatly in a new "Baldur's Gate" game. But every company wants their self-interests first, so they will do anything that makes the most cash.
A RPG sandbox in the past always gives you the chance to do the long way or the short way. And a non-linear RPG is being shouted for by the HARDCORE RPG gamers on the Internet.

That said, I have been to every crack in the Internet and 40% of gaming forums there is. And based upon that, a new "Baldur's Gate" would make a lot of money, becasue the public's interests in the old school RPGs are very high right now. But you must make it so that people who played the first games and new gamers can both enjoy it. What Bethsaida did with the Fallout series proves this point.

And Hasbro owns the Wizards of the Coast , and Atari owns Baldur's Gate now.
Side-note: BG2:TOB does say that the adventure continues into Neverwinter Nights, but I see no signs of Immy having a huge Guild.

#16 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:01 AM

Side-note: BG2:TOB does say that the adventure continues into Neverwinter Nights, but I see no signs of Immy having a huge Guild.

Yeah, originally you were supposed to be able to export your characters from BG2 to NWN1, but I think they scrapped that idea.

#17 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Yeah, originally you were supposed to be able to export your characters from BG2 to NWN1, but I think they scrapped that idea.

I remember that...and I was quite ticked off when you could not do that! Anyways...I think its been too long to try a BG3...and if they did try it...well I would have more faith in it being bad then good...they would really have to work their butts off for it to be anywhere as near as good as BG2 or heck even BG1...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#18 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 09:38 AM

I remember that...and I was quite ticked off when you could not do that! Anyways...I think its been too long to try a BG3...and if they did try it...well I would have more faith in it being bad then good...they would really have to work their butts off for it to be anywhere as near as good as BG2 or heck even BG1...

Of course it would have to be done right, and as far as the possibility of having people still interested in it, well just look at this site and other like it. 13 years after it was released there is still a strong following, and not just by original fans. If memory serves correctly the Admin here and quite a few modders in this community were too young to be waiting for Baldur's Gate 2 to be released. One thing it would have to be is as Open to mods as this game was, that ability has kept this game quite alive and quite relevent
Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD

#19 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

Of course it would have to be done right, and as far as the possibility of having people still interested in it, well just look at this site and other like it. 13 years after it was released there is still a strong following, and not just by original fans. If memory serves correctly the Admin here and quite a few modders in this community were too young to be waiting for Baldur's Gate 2 to be released. One thing it would have to be is as Open to mods as this game was, that ability has kept this game quite alive and quite relevent

True enough I suppose. But the main question is how they would go about the story...Would it be a whole new thing with all new people...just with the BG3 title on it? Or would they go the "love child" of CHARNAME...or they could do something even more...It would really determine how they go about what the story is about...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#20 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 11:46 AM

True enough I suppose. But the main question is how they would go about the story...Would it be a whole new thing with all new people...just with the BG3 title on it? Or would they go the "love child" of CHARNAME...or they could do something even more...It would really determine how they go about what the story is about...

Well, you would give the player 6 starting possibilities as their back grounds, adjust the d20 ruleset a bit, a call the game Age of Dragon :unsure: ... ups, but they did that already. :doh:
Yes, the Dragon Age Origins is very open for mods, and the producers even gave a tool to use to make the mods... now they just got to give the modders the same kind of tool to the DAII, and the eventual DAIII... and I am pretty sure they'll have the same kind of following like the BG2 has around the 2022, if they'll play their cards right.