Modding help please

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

Updated Information:

The Mod I am currently working on is starting simple and working towards a very ambitious undertaking. Any help in any particular area would be appreciated. I am creating a joinable NPC named Raven, a drow elf with multi-class Fighter/Mage/Thief. In a few days I should have a beta ready for testing, the beta will be SoA, with no banter or interjections at this point and include unique upgradeable items through Cromwell. The Cromwell part is also going to add some rings and amulets upgrades for Cromwell as well, I am trying to make it so he can create for example a Ring of Protection +1 out of a generic ring/scroll/gem because I feel it should be that way anyways. Anyone who wants to beta test this for me is of course welcome, and I want all feed back I can get.

Now, where I want this Mod to end up? I want it to be compatible with BGT; ToB; and CtB. Ctb, I want a cameo of sorts for a young Raven to be visiting Candlekeep during the Candlekeep Chores quest. I also want to be able to at some point add a new area set and quests for Raven, as the Weapons, Armor, Helm, and ring of Raven are going to have a unique background and would like to include the PC in this history, I also want to have history books scattered in the game that refer to Raven's family history.

Help wish list:
1. Spawn locations for BG1 portion of BGT; and also ToB.
2. Any help on quest modding, and area creation.
3. Feedback on the History of Drizzt in the novels, to tie into Banter/Interjections since Raven will be a Drow(tentatively) I figure there should be some dialogue about the history of the intrepid Drizzt(perhaps shared adventure with his father) But I am not familiar with the books about Drizzt so any suggestions would be appreciated.
4. I am open to allowing a much more experienced modder lead the quest/area part of the Mod, I would of course contribute, but as I want it to be done well, I recognize I am too new to this to expect I will excel in this area.

Hope this is more in-depth, and as I said I expect a bare bones SoA beta version lets say 0.1 so that anyone who wishes to help can get a feel for what I am trying to do. I expect to have that up and ready around the 12th

Update Time:

Some things have changed been or been tweaked. Heh, I am fluid and open to changes and suggestions, these changes are the result of being able to bounce ideas off of Zyraen to help the idea grow as it were. Raven, has been shrunk down and has dropped the Drow, he will die at some point in the middle BGT and the PC will have a choice as to whether or not become resurrected in a new slightly more powerful form. Raven is now a Swashbuckler/Fighter, at the start of BG1, resurrected Raven will add the Mage side or possibly add specific useable spells without growing as a total mage, still ironing out the details here. Any thoughts of course would be appreciated. The goal is to add a small quest set with a possible new area for BG1 portion of BGT, and adding a small town, a tower and a dungeon to BG2. Also while I want this to be seemless in BGT, I do want a SoA/ToB version to be available as I don't think the BG1 portion is absolutely essential to the BG2 culmination. There will also be a cameo spot if CtB is installed, nothing big, just an easter egg. There will also be multiple upgrade options for a number of things from low enchanted rings and amulets to the equipment on the NPC and the sword of choice. I also am toying around with other ideas as well, minor tweaks and the like. Though NOTHING is set in stone.

Areas I still could use help and/or feedback.

1. Any area modders who can help and/or give some direction on creating good .bmp files to create the areas.
2. Voice actors, overall there are 21 roles ranging from Major (Raven) to minor (Non-Joinable NPC's to initiate quests, shopkeepers etc.) This isnt I think essential to the Mod, but I have insufficient tools to do the work myself and think it would add to the experience if it donw seemlessly.
3. Any and all feedback that I can get, I am always open to criticism and am willing to change my vision, my goal is to make it good, not to have a narrow vision and shove it down people's throats as it were.

I have completed at this point a base character model for BGT BG1 portion, working on banter and interjections however. I have also completed the base Ring upgrades for Cromwell as well.

Edited by RavenSW, 15 April 2011 - 12:25 PM.

Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD

#2 Thanatos.

Thanatos.
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

Hello and welcome!

Could you give us a bit more of an in-depth description of what it is you're doing? That's a good summary but might be considered a bit vague. Same thing applies with your NPC mod.

Good luck!

Thana

#3 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:08 PM

I am creating a multi-class(Fighter/Mage/Thief) Elf joinable NPC, I want to add items (Swords, Armor and ring that are only useable by the NPC but can be upgraded twice to more powerful items through Cromwell, I also am thinking of adding enchanted rings and amulets using the generic sellable items from the game so he can make them into ring/amulet of protections etc if it idn't too much of a head ache. I am working the dialog files now, but want to make the character a little more special by adding the Cromwell tweaks as well to make the player only items more powerful as the game progresses. I am sure it is quite an undertaking for a Noob, but it is my goal none the less. Also, I am running BGT with CtB, TOD, DSotC, Grey Clan Candlekeep, Unfinished business for 1 & 2, Subrace, and various lesser item/tweak mods, its a fairly massive mod, though the only compatibility I think I need to concern is BGT and possibly Subrace. Also if I need to do anything more then the basics for a BGT NPC through the entire campaign any advice/direction would be appreciated as well. Hope that answers your questions, like I said I am a Noob in modding, though did some Basic programming a LOOOOOOOOOONG time ago so I have some concept of what I need to do (I hope)

#4 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:45 AM

Updated main post to include more infromation

#5 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:12 PM

I have finished the early beta, and have a bug I need to work out, I have started with a sampling of the Cromwell upgrades and it installs fine, but freezes the game when I have Cromwell search my inventory for upgradeable items. I am inquiring to post the beta, but am unsure how long it will be before I can post it here. If anyone is interested in the mean time in taking a look and helping me iron the kinks before I can post it here, you can email me at raven.sw@gmail.com, I think it is small enough to send in an email at this point.

#6 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:52 PM

You can send the .D file for Cromwell to me at my email which I have PMed to you :) cheers.
Pls identify yourself as RavenSW in the email, thank you!

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#7 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 12:26 PM

Updated information about what I am trying to do

#8 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:02 PM

Raven is now a Swashbuckler/Fighter...

Swashbuckler or Fighter, I take it ? since from the sound of it, he will need to be one class only to reasonably Dual to gain a Mage class, and a Swashbuckler has no advantage over a Fighter whatsoever except in his Thief skills (less Backstab, since they have none of that)

That's one of the weird things about 2.5E, you can't bring 3E stuff into it where you can just decide to gain levels in XX class at will.

Edited by Zyraen, 15 April 2011 - 06:03 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression