Photo

DDraw Fix (For Slowdowns/Stuttering)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

Ubuntu 11.10 32-bit, Wine 1.3.28, nVidia GT 240 with nVidia proprietary drivers.
GoG's version of PST, PsTFixPack 4.12, PsTTweaks 4.11, Widescreen 3.05.
Game installed on a ciopfs mount to avoid the need of tolowering and biffing the game (the tolower's function of creating linux.ini is still needed to install widescreen).

I had several problems :
- the trailing cursor problem
- very slow rendering while in widescreen mode
- crash at saving next to the first door of the first room

Installing this seems to have fixed all three problems above. Thank you for that gem!

I had a remaining problem though, the avatars's background were messed up. Turning on the software transparency game option fixed this (but it slows down the game).

Edited by Anomaly, 28 October 2011 - 01:42 PM.

French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#62 -Jarrod-

-Jarrod-

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:32 AM

Thanks for this awesome fix, it worked a treat for me. (Win7 via Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro w/ Radeon HD 6750M).

#63 -Jay Sosa-

-Jay Sosa-

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:51 AM

Thanks Dude!

Finally I can play PST in all it's glory without any stuttering or black boxes.

Play on a laptop with an ATI card and Vista. Had to do a complete reinstall and also install the widescreen mods but now everything seems to work fine.

Again, thanks so much to you and anyone who created all these awesome mods!

#64 oceanclub

oceanclub
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

*Note: pst-drawfix has been reported to introduce minor flashes/glitches when casting spells
the best alternative to my patch IMO...
open wined3d.exe inside of 7zip
and extract libwine.dll, wined3d.dll, and ddraw.dll from $SYSDIR into your torment folder
( adds a few seconds to the game's startup time, but worth it. )

Brilliant - no other solutions fixed the issue for me, this works perfectly. I can now have spell battles without my laptop grinding to a halt, and indeed the whole game is now snappier.

P.

#65 -Mordosskul-

-Mordosskul-

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

The creator of this fix should be given their own feifdom.

THANK YOU!! This worked perfectly on Win 7 64 with all the mods listed above.

#66 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

Thanks for the fix!! I had some (minor) flickering problems, mostly in the intro screen - and flickering opening the inventory with the wheel on screen. This fix fixed both, thanks for the help, aqrit!
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#67 2xCut

2xCut
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

open wined3d.exe inside of 7zip
and extract libwine.dll, wined3d.dll, and ddraw.dll from $SYSDIR into your torment folder

I tried this and the game crashed on startup. Could you specify whether this solution is for Linux or Windows users? I'm using Windows XP and it seems like this wine3d library won't work on my system. I have an old graphics card too: GeForce 2 Ti. Could this be the reason?

Before this I'd been using the ddraw fix and I was satisfied, but now that you mention graphical glitches I suddenly feel like I don't want to miss out on any effects present in the game :). I haven't noticed anything in particular, but, for instance, the selection marker tends to disappear on every character once in a while when I enter a new area (it comes back upon re-entering).

Edited by 2xCut, 04 May 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#68 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

The solution is for Windows Users (Linux users are already using it)

Do you need any fixes with XP + Geforce2? I would think it would run okay without having to do anything extra.

#69 2xCut

2xCut
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Do you need any fixes with XP + Geforce2? I would think it would run okay without having to do anything extra.

The card itself runs fine on Windows XP and performs decently (for its age) in other games. I use this old PC to run retro games for best compatibility, but apparently this is not the case of Torment. I also tried installing WineD3D directly with its .exe in safe mode, but it's just the same: the game crashes on startup referring to errors in wined3d.dll. GF2 drivers are really old (the 2005 are the latest and final), so maybe Wine doesn't support ddraw library for these particular drivers? Any idea what "extra" things I could do to make it work?

Edited by 2xCut, 04 May 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#70 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

a thread of other alternatives is link in the opening post

but you could try D3DWindower or DxWnd

you could try my ddraw wrapper here
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
RedundantFlip = 1
to be honest, I haven't check to see if that fixes the issue with spells, but you can try it :P

edit:
the selection mark disappearing I think is a game bug and is not related to ddraw problems.
the spell glitch is very minor ( orange flash when meteor hits, etc. ) I'm not entirelty sure
that it is even a glitch.,. I need to check it out on my old system sometime

Edited by aqrit, 05 May 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#71 2xCut

2xCut
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:50 AM

you could try my ddraw wrapper here
ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1
RedundantFlip = 1

Thanks for the wrapper. I've tried it (along with the config) and it works similarily to your ddraw fix, but performance is somewhat worse: slow and jerky movement of the mouse pointer.

I think I'll just stick to your ddraw fix as it's fine for me. I'm just not sure about all those glitches people report. Maybe it's the widescreen/Ghostdog's UI issue. I don't use these mods and I can't really say I've noticed any spell glitches. Well, maybe some gray and black pixels appearing for a split second around casting area which might as well be just a game flaw (Chain Lightning). As for orange flashes with meteors, do you mean the spell called Elysium Tears or something similar (bluish meteor-tears pounding on targets in AOE)? I used that spell some time ago and I don't remember any glitches happening, there are blue flashes after each hit, so maybe I'm just lucky ;).

Edited by 2xCut, 06 May 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#72 -PhattieM-

-PhattieM-

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:44 AM

Im new to these mods, however, I was wondering if after following this guide:

http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html

it would be possible to run the game in windowed mode? (I actually installed the widemod at the max resolution of my monitor but I realize that I want it lower and running on 1 of my 3 monitors non-full screen).

I know normally people want to play it in full mode, but I'm really interested in keeping it on only a corner of a screen.

Thanks.

#73 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:01 PM

Did you see this comment?
---
edit: (some random info) - the ForceDDrawEmulation switch of my patch prevents ddraw from selecting a display GUID to full screen on... is that the root cause of your issue?

Edited by aqrit, 18 June 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#74 -Sauge-

-Sauge-

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

Just a heads-up on Windows 8 the fix for cursor trail is not necessary and it does actually cause the trailing
just in case anyone is having the same issue, all you have to do is comment out these lines in setup-pst-drawfix.tp2
PATCH_IF( offset != (0 - 1) ) BEGIN WRITE_BYTE ( offset + 26 ) 0x02 END

ELSE BEGIN PATCH_WARN "Cursor Trail Fix Failed: patch location not found" END

LAUNCH_PATCH_MACRO DpiAware

COPY ~Torment.ini~ ~Torment.ini~
REPLACE_EVALUATE ~SoftSrcKeyBltFast=1~ BEGIN END ~SoftSrcKeyBltFast=0~
REPLACE_EVALUATE ~SoftBltFast=1~ BEGIN END ~SoftBltFast=0~
REPLACE_EVALUATE ~SoftSrcKeyBlt=1~ BEGIN END ~SoftSrcKeyBlt=0~
REPLACE_EVALUATE ~SoftBlt=1~ BEGIN END ~SoftBlt=0~
REPLACE_EVALUATE ~SoftMirrorBlt=1~ BEGIN END ~SoftMirrorBlt=0~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

#75 aqrit

aqrit
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yes, someone also shared this with me over at the GoG forums.
PST-Drawfix is obsolete. I have ported the mod to work with all Infinity Engine games.
In the new version the cursor artifact fix is optional.
You can find the new version here: http://bitpatch.com/ie_ddrawfix.html

I was delaying updating this thread because the "no-pause wheel" option doesn't yet have a home.

Edited by aqrit, 07 October 2012 - 10:10 PM.

#76 -Felipe-

-Felipe-

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

congrats aqrit for your work, do u know if ghostdog will embed your stuff on his patch?

#77 -Houseberry-

-Houseberry-

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:14 PM

Does installing this fix invalidate saved games made before installing it?

#78 -aqrit-

-aqrit-

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:23 AM

no

#79 olnorton

olnorton
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

With GOG now installing your ddrawfix by default in BG2

If I use EasyTuTu, do I need to uninstall it from BG2 before running TuTu & then install it in my TuTu directory after.

#80 prune1

prune1
  • 74 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:02 PM

This is not working for me. I am still getting cursor trails and flickering. Used BWS to install, everything went fine. Fiddling with all sorts of other options right now, but hoping someone can point out a silly mistake I probably made.

Edit: Weidu log:

Spoiler

Is it perhaps that the drawfix was installed first, before anything else?

Edit 2: Uninstalled this. Everything is fine.

Edited by prune1, 06 April 2013 - 04:21 PM.