Photo

Any of the BIG mods any good?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Big Mods (8 member(s) have cast votes)

What

1. NEVER ENDING JOURNEY (NEJ) (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

2. The Darkest Day (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

3. Shadows Over Soubar (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

4. Check the Bodies (4 votes [15.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

5. Tortured Souls (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

6. Region of Terror (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

7. Dark Horizons (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

8. Dark Side of the Sword Coast (3 votes [11.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.54%

9. Northern Tales of the Sword Coast (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

10. Secret of Bonehill (5 votes [19.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

11. Drizzt Saga (1 votes [3.85%] - View)

12. Other (explain) (2 votes [7.69%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Eagleheart

Eagleheart
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:55 PM

I've tried all the different mods that are listed in the BWP as the Big BG1 and BG2 mods. I've reinstalled several times each time I find myself removing more and more of them because they either cause crashes, don't at all fit into the "Child of Bhaal" storyline. Oftentimes the areas are purely recycled so seeing Nalias' Castle again with a different name isn't all that exciting to go through again. I really WANT to like NEJ because it's IWD but the added extra stuff on top of IWD like the deathtraps if you don't have Hrothgar are just ridiculous as is the level of difficulty for a party just starting out in Irenicus' dungeon particularly in the Vale of Souls.

I like Secret of Bonehill because it's well done and doesn't break anything and is optional and added areas are mostly original and well thought out.

Anyway I just wanted to throw this out there and see what you all thought as well.

#2 Karmapowered

Karmapowered
  • 42 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 05:17 PM

I haven't much delved into the content of the mods that you listed above yet.

The main issue I am having with some of these mods is when their authors feel the need to cater to a population of players that don't mind NPCs walking up to them, teleporting them to the other end of the world, to kill stuff non-stop, giving the story and other non-combat content a very secondary role.

Bhaalspawn or not, I guess I just don't enjoy playing Diablo in my BG/PST games.

There should be more incentives for the player to leave their usual "main quest" route, and explore this extra-content, than earning additional XP, or some mostly overpowered items.

In my opinion, some "big" NPC mods do a much better job at achieving this : Kelsey, Keto, Imoen Romance, Nalia Romance, etc.

Still, I played through "Secret of Bone Hills", and found it pretty interesting, mainly because it used rather convincing story frames.
"Check the Bodies" also has some short but "rewarding" interludes.
"Region of Terror" I cannot tell, as I avoid installing anything with Drizzt in it for sanity reasons.
"Tortured Souls" is still on my "want to play through" list, as the premises of conflicting personalities appeals to me.

Edited by Karmapowered, 29 April 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#3 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:10 PM

The only one of those I've managed to play through so far is Secret of Bonehill (well, ok, only part 1), and I agree that this is a fun and rewarding mod. I did find that the start was slow moving, that exploring the town was kind of tedious. But once in the wild areas, it shifts gear. (Nice music too!)
"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#4 RavenSW

RavenSW
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 08:38 PM

The main Major mod I use everytime is BGT, having the entire run between both games is a must for my game
Creator~MOD in progress Raven NPC/Quest Mod

Contributor~MOD in progress Valiant's City MOD

#5 Ranadiel

Ranadiel
  • 174 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:48 AM

From the list in the poll.

Haven't Played(or at least don't remember playing)
NEJ(well actually refuse to install this one for compatibility reasons....at least that is one reason)
The Darkest Day
Shadows over Soubar
Check the Bodies
Region of Terror
Dark Horizons

Played
Tortured Souls(a little)
Dark Side of the Sword Coast
Northern Tales of the Sword Coast
Secret of Bonehill
Drizzt Saga

Most of the ones I haven't played are just ones that I never get to as I get bored before they come up. I wasn't really a big fan of any of the BG1 Mega Mods. Secret of Bonehill was alright the first time, but it got tedious after having finished it once. Drizzt Saga is alright for what it is, but it introduces continuity issues and is far from being properly balanced.I honestl don't remember a whole lot about the Sword Coast mods. Although I do dislike a couple of the quests(althoguh I don't think I feel that way about all of them). And for Tortured Souls....well I never actually made it to the main island for the quests. However I strongly disliked the banter involving Sime who was part of the mod and can't imagine the dialogue from the main mod was much better.

#6 Eagleheart

Eagleheart
  • 42 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:52 PM

I never got far on Check the Bodies. The whole thing with hijacking your game to make you perform junk like milking cows and getting stuck because it's not always clear what you are supposed to do is not what I call fun before you can even get to the joy of irenicus dungeon. And since I played BGT I was kinda attached to the bhaalspawn powers I would have and didn't want them taken away and replaced by the buggy ones the mod gives you.

#7 JohnMoonlord

JohnMoonlord
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:07 PM

I never got far on Check the Bodies. The whole thing with hijacking your game to make you perform junk like milking cows and getting stuck because it's not always clear what you are supposed to do is not what I call fun before you can even get to the joy of irenicus dungeon. And since I played BGT I was kinda attached to the bhaalspawn powers I would have and didn't want them taken away and replaced by the buggy ones the mod gives you.

The Candlekeep Chores are an independent component, I believe, that you can unselect during setup.
"Alright, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health, what has the humans ever done for us!?"

#8 smeagolheart

smeagolheart
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 05:57 PM

The Candlekeep Chores are an independent component, I believe, that you can unselect during setup.

The rest of the mod any good? Does it fit in well with the base game or is it unbalanced like some of the others?