• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Introduction

In a bout of nostalgia, I started rummaging through some of my old BG2 stuff and found this tiny mod that I had made for personal use a while back. It was largely inspired by several other Wizard Slayer mods which came before it, most notably Gray Acumen's Kit Improvements, Konalan's Tweaks, Ashes of Embers and Kitanya's fixes (by SixOfSpades). I originally made this because I liked certain elements from the aforementioned mods and wanted to use them together, without having to endure the features which I felt took the kit too far away from Bioware's original design. After streamlining and polishing things up a bit, I thought other people might enjoy it too, hence my decision to release the mod to the public.

While the other mods granted the Wizard Slayer some pretty cool abilities, I felt that things like Detect Illusions and Dispel Magic made him too similar to the Inquisitor, despite being very useful and effective. This version is a bit more conservative, as I deliberately chose not to stray too far from Bioware's original concept and decided to simply enhance the Wizard Slayer's strong points while adding several features from the aforementioned mods which I thought worked really well. Lastly, I've thrown a few of my own design elements into the mix, like the re-imaged kit and ability descriptions and the temporary loss of magic resistance when certain abilities are used. Hope you all like the end result. Enjoy!

Component 1: Wizard Slayer kit revision:

WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior specializes in hunting down wielders of arcane magic. To that end, he conditions his body to resist magic and learns attack techniques that can disrupt arcane spellcasting. This rigorous training regimen requires the Wizard Slayer to forgo the use of any magic items besides weapons, armor and healing potions. In addition, he must remain fully devoted to his cause and cannot pursue additional professions.

Advantages:
- Starts with 10% base magic resistance
- Gains an additional +2% bonus to magic resistance for every level of experience
- Gains the Disrupt Magic passive ability at first level
- Gains the Shatter Magic ability at first level and every 8 levels thereafter

Disadvantages:
- Cannot use any magic items except for weapons, armor and healing potions
- Cannot dual-class

Disrupt Magic:
Whenever a Wizard Slayer lands a successful hit on an arcane spellcaster the target is afflicted with a cumulative spell failure penalty. During the next 3 rounds, the victim has a 10% base chance to miscast any arcane spell plus 1% for every experience level the Wizard Slayer attains. This passive ability is always in effect.

Shatter Magic:
A Wizard Slayer can channel his innate magic resistance into his weapons in order to break through the magical defenses of arcane spellcasters. During the round when this ability is activated, each successful hit removes one combat and one specific protection from his target. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to magic during the next 2 rounds. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it.

Component 2: Wizard Slayer High Level Ability revision

Reflect Magic (replaces Resist Magic)

An experienced Wizard Slayer eventually learns to channel his innate magic resistance in a manner which allows him to reflect magic back to its source. For 3 rounds after this ability is activated, all spells targeted directly against the Wizard Slayer are redirected back to the original caster. However, this temporarily nullifies the Wizard Slayer's innate magic resistance making him vulnerable to any spells that are not directly targeted at him. This vulnerability takes effect when the ability is activated and persists for 3 rounds after it expires. Until his magic resistance recovers, the Wizard Slayer cannot use any special abilities that rely on it.

Arcane Bane (replaces War Cry)

An experienced Wizard Slayer can apply a special technique to his attacks making them extremely effective against wielders of arcane magic. For 2 rounds after this ability is activated he gains a +5 bonus to damage against all arcane spellcasters. Furthermore, the Wizard Slayer's attacks become so forceful that his opponents must save vs. death with a -4 penalty or lose one of their memorized spells on each hit.

Component 3: Revised Wizard Slayer item restrictions

This component slightly loosens the item restrictions that are normally imposed on the Wizard Slayer. It can be installed in two ways.

The "Minimal changes" option will allow the Wizard Slayer to use items which increase magic resistance, such as the Amulet of 5% Magic Resistance, Kaligun's Amulet of Magic Resistance, the Cloak of Balduran and the Potion of Magic Protection. On IWD:EE the following items are also included: Potion of Magical Resistance, Potion of Arcane Absorption, Potion of Aura Enhancement and Potion of Dissipation.

In addition to everything mentioned above, the "Moderate changes" option allows the Wizard Slayer to also use items which provide protection from magic in some form, such as the Cloak of Mirroring, Belt of Inertial Barrier, Amulet of Spell Warding, Ring of Spell Turning, Potion of Magic Shielding and Potion of Magic Blocking. On IWD:EE the following items are also included: Ring of the Protector +2.

Compatibility notes

• The mod is fully compatible with BG:EE, BGII:EE and IWD:EE. It also works on normal Baldur's Gate II games as well as either of the two Baldur's Gate conversion projects: (Easy)Tutu and Baldur's Gate Trilogy (BGT).
  • If you intend to use this mod alongside Refinements, a specific install order must be followed. The kit revision component of this mod should be installed before Refinements while its High Level Ability revision component should go after Refinements.
  • In case you are using TobEX, make sure that the Magic Resistance Mod Fix option in TobExCore.ini is set to 0. Otherwise, you may experience some problems when using Shatter Magic and Reflect Magic. Specifically, the magic resistance of the Wizard Slayer will not be nullified while these abilities are in effect.
  • Since this mod is largely inspired by similar components of Gray Acumen's Kit Improvements, Konalan's Tweak Pack, Kitanya's Wizard Slayer Fixes and Ashes of Ambers it is not intended to be used together with them.
Relevant links

Edited by aVENGER, 13 August 2016 - 11:30 AM.

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Since I'm not sure how much time I can devote to regular mod maintenance nowadays, I've asked K'aeloree to move the WSR link into aTweaks' download section so that Wisp can update the mod as well. We had to do this due to some forum software file permission stuff.

Unfortunately, moving the file seems to have automatically deleted the old thread in this forum, so I'm re-posting it again.

Edited by aVENGER, 10 May 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#3 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

Nice to see you again, aVENGER! Translation in progress!

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#4 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hi prowler! :)

I'll be happy to add your translation when it's done.

#5 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 06:16 AM

It's done now.

For readme file:
Translation by Silent, Hawkmoon, Njkzy & Prowler - Arcanecoast.ru

Hope you public more your unreleased project! ^_^

Attached Files

• Attached File  wsr.rar   6.07K   629 downloads

Murloc-translator

#6 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Russian translation added in v1.01

Cheers! :)

#7 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thank you, friend! :cheers:

Murloc-translator

#8 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

Updated to v1.02.

If TobEx is detected, this mod will now set the "Magic Resistance Mod Fix" option in TobExCore.ini to 0 in order to avoid some minor compatibility issues. Of course, this only works if you install TobEx before WSR.

Edited by aVENGER, 20 May 2011 - 11:48 PM.

#9 -Hoo-

-Hoo-

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

Hi, I have a question about some compatibility issue of Item Revision mod.

As you know, IR changes a lots of items.

I wonder WR's item restriction component works correctly with IR.

Does the component operate as you intend even if IR is installed?

#10 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:08 AM

Does the component operate as you intend even if IR is installed?

At the moment, Wizard Slayer Rebalancing doesn't take IR's item changes into account. In effect, the list of items provided in the documentation will be affected, regardless of IR's changes.

I may look into what IR does to those items and make the necessary adjustments in some future release.

#11 Graoumf

Graoumf
  • 594 posts

Posted 25 November 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hello aVENGER,

The french translation is done and proofread. Our translator's name is Sanctifer.

Here is the french files (.tra and ReadMe).

Cheers! :)

Edited by Graoumf, 26 November 2011 - 12:14 PM.

#12 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:05 PM

Added in v1.03.

Cheers! :cheers:

#13 Reverendratbastard

Reverendratbastard
  • 37 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

arcane bane... yum!
i always thought the MR boost in AoE was astonishing, being adjacent to calling stone/ironskin 'cheesy' xD ... but this looks more tastily-balanced. thanks!
FAVORITE BUMPERSTICKER:

~ god was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and i had to eat him ~

#14 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:08 AM

Updated to v1.02.
If TobEx is detected, this mod will now set the "Magic Resistance Mod Fix" option in TobExCore.ini to 0 in order to avoid some minor compatibility issues. Of course, this only works if you install TobEx before WSR.

Corrected issue for next version. p2 = 0 will work as vanilla, p2 = 3 will perform the post-sum modifier.

Isn't the compatibility issue resolved? If it is, I'm so using this kit, it's very nicely done with low-key changes :)

Edited by Dakk, 29 December 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#15 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 01:35 AM

Isn't the compatibility issue resolved? If it is, I'm so using this kit, it's very nicely done with low-key changes :)

It should be resolved in the latest versions of TobEx, but I left the check in place because some mods still ship with older TobEx versions.

Glad you like the mod. :)

#16 hindo's doom

hindo's doom
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:07 AM

It's Chinese s&t translation.
Happy new year.

Attached Files

#17 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:41 AM

Thanks! :)

Added in v1.04

#18 -Visitor from another bar-

-Visitor from another bar-

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hello to everyone here, I have a weird problem now having installed wsr...
I started a new party of bg1 with my wizard slayer having 18 in WIS... I should then gain 3 to my saves against spell... But instead of this I start with 13% Magic resistance and comparing with a simple warrior WIS 12 beginning level 1 I have exactly the same save agaiinst spell 17...
Any clue?

#19 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

Hello to everyone here, I have a weird problem now having installed wsr...
I started a new party of bg1 with my wizard slayer having 18 in WIS... I should then gain 3 to my saves against spell... But instead of this I start with 13% Magic resistance and comparing with a simple warrior WIS 12 beginning level 1 I have exactly the same save agaiinst spell 17...
Any clue?

Hi,

In case you are referring to the Magical Defense Adjustment which high Wisdom grants in PnP AD&D, those bonuses are unfortunately not implemented in the BG2 version of the Infinity Engine. This mod doesn't change that.

Edited by aVENGER, 17 April 2012 - 12:36 AM.

#20 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:35 AM

Updated to v1.05. Here's the full list of changes:

• The "Revised Wizard Slayer item restrictions" component can now be installed on SoA-only games
  • Wizard Slayer Rebalancing now uses ENGINE_IS to determine the type of your installation (i.e. BG2-SoA, ToB, BGT... etc.)
  • Added the German translation (courtesy of Florianthure and Jarl)
  • Updated the Russian translation

Edited by aVENGER, 28 April 2012 - 04:39 AM.