Photo

Vecna is Back!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:27 AM

Hi all just a quick post to say the Vecna mod is back with release of V16, hopefully all the bugs are now squashed, and i am actively supporting the mod ( expansions are comming and am here to squash future bugs )

Thanks

Jube

#2 Cerest

Cerest
  • 157 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:27 AM

I'm excited :D
Thank you for your work!

#3 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:35 AM

Nice!

Expansion: Provide an alternative end for the game. After one has finished Vecna, why mess around with some former Bhaal-Hillbillies in Tethyr? (I am serious, Vecna provides some "difficulties" in terms of the normal story).

#4 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

Good point mate, in a "proper" BW setup there is more than enough xps available to get to around 18-30th lv and launch off into plane travel ( the hunt for the eye and hand being the first of several extraplanar adventures ). And if a character/party has the skill power and balls to complete hand/eye quest and the BALLS to own the said items they would only do TOB for a laugh :)
I am very wary of changing the game plotline though that would make vecna a mega mod? and i would be getting into a world of pain when it comes to compatibility, so virtually all the vecna content is offworld or places where one recalls or teleports to.
But yes i totally agree with you some change at the end of tob would be good to lead into vecna if not attempted before that. And yes if vecna was completed before that he/she would prob refuse godhood since they are effectively god killers. ( gods are children compared to the forces characters and plots in Vecna )
The current expansions are
Start of the search for the Rod of Seven Parts
"If you own the hand and eye, things are never the same again"

There is an open invite to other modders to write high/extream level adventures in the planes ( vecna curently provides 14 unpopulated, out of 50, areas where other modders can host their adventures, they just have to populate and script ) but as yet have had zero response, so doing it myself, but there is only me so its Slooooooow :)

#5 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:12 PM

And if a character/party has the skill power and balls to complete hand/eye quest and the BALLS to own the said items they would only do TOB for a laugh

Hand, Eye and Balls of Vecna? Ew. I shudder to think of what one'd have to do to use the latter...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#6 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Think the set would become immediately damn unpopular

#7 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi all V18 is up for download, the only things not checked now are Android1 encounter and final fight, all other reported bugs should be done with this version.

Thanks

Ps Hand and eye must be equiped/activated again to apply fixes

#8 Cerest

Cerest
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Gosh Jube, I really want to help bug test, but my last BG2 save game has become @$@@%@($(*$($ and I now have to start over.

Thank you again for your hard work at this! The last version I played was V16, and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

#9 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:45 AM

Oww now thats quite a load of game playing to get to vecna levels :), i had a similar thing for the past 2 days the little Win tablet i do BG2 stuff on picked up a nasty virus/trojan/worm, had to reformat and reinstall, win,drivers etc etc etc, so put me back a bit. Just finishing up now and getting back to v19 which i hope is not far away, scripting is a pain!!!

#10 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Hi all Vecna V19 is uploaded and ready for DL.

Thats about it for the core adventure, have checked all keys and subquests are there, everything needed to get to the final battle is correct. I think i can now, with some confidence, say we are out of alpha and into beta1.

#11 Shuv-Oohl

Shuv-Oohl
  • Modder
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

Well... dunno how to start, 'cause i got no complains nor bugs to report.

Let's put it that way: You mess with ToB!

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed v12 of Your mod in a tactics install playing a solo C/M dwarf on insane.
As a member of the german kerzenburg forum I posted a review there, which, stressing by the way Fennek's one month ago post, may be condensed like that: ToB doesn't permit a Vecna Artifacts mod!

In fact, one could say the same thing in a much more polite way: If there had been a version x of Vecna in 2001, nobody would ever have designed ToB.

Vecna Artifacts (for me) is the natural continuation of HC's struggle to godhood: Saving his/her soul and fighting and gaining reputation amongst avatars of different gods until HC proves worthy of having the choice to accept or deny the throne of the god of murder. And obviously slaying yet another halfbreed like Ilasera=Nice Butt or Yaga-Shura=The Dumb or Sendai=The multiple schizophrenic should not be sufficient nor qualifying.

But we do have ToB!

So how can You suppose me to even CARE about some hostile drow in ToB, after that I've killed Orcus, Demorgorgon and Lloth(!) united in the final Vecna battle? A fingertip on there forehead should be sufficient to let them evaporate from the living side of the world. Whatever gelugon or pitfiend comes up to me I should adress: Well, I've already talked to your boss about your life. I'm sorry!

Well... dunno how to end, 'cause i got no complains nor bugs to report.

Just thinkin'....

#12 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:20 AM

Well... dunno how to start, 'cause i got no complains nor bugs to report.

Let's put it that way: You mess with ToB!

A couple of weeks ago I enjoyed v12 of Your mod in a tactics install playing a solo C/M dwarf on insane.
As a member of the german kerzenburg forum I posted a review there, which, stressing by the way Fennek's one month ago post, may be condensed like that: ToB doesn't permit a Vecna Artifacts mod!

In fact, one could say the same thing in a much more polite way: If there had been a version x of Vecna in 2001, nobody would ever have designed ToB.

Vecna Artifacts (for me) is the natural continuation of HC's struggle to godhood: Saving his/her soul and fighting and gaining reputation amongst avatars of different gods until HC proves worthy of having the choice to accept or deny the throne of the god of murder. And obviously slaying yet another halfbreed like Ilasera=Nice Butt or Yaga-Shura=The Dumb or Sendai=The multiple schizophrenic should not be sufficient nor qualifying.

But we do have ToB!

So how can You suppose me to even CARE about some hostile drow in ToB, after that I've killed Orcus, Demorgorgon and Lloth(!) united in the final Vecna battle? A fingertip on there forehead should be sufficient to let them evaporate from the living side of the world. Whatever gelugon or pitfiend comes up to me I should adress: Well, I've already talked to your boss about your life. I'm sorry!

Well... dunno how to end, 'cause i got no complains nor bugs to report.

Just thinkin'....

What can i say, you are perfectly correct!! ( and very well put :) :) :) )
But i suppose same can be said for many Tactics games, where you can get to 30th lv+ before even bothering to sail to spellhold.

My only answer is to keep adding content to vecna, currently there are 50 new areas, when they are all fully populated that should be a LOT of hours of gameplay, maybe over 100, hopefully no one will miss TOB if they embark off-world before.

An obvious problem i have to address, and am really open to suggestions, is how to handle Watchers keep, I have 2 options,

1) Write code to modify watchers keep to reflect having faced demigorgon once before
2) Use another god for the final battle

I quite like the first option, it would tie Vecna more into the TOB plot-line, but then it would be logical to make many more changes to the TOB plot-line, and obviously rewrite the ending, but then we are into partial-conversion territory, and would immediately become incompatible with a lot of BW mods.

I would like to know what the BW community thinks.

#13 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:57 PM

As you said in one of the posts above, I think it would be nice if one could play Vecna after one decided to become some sort of demi-god at the end of ToB. That doesn't mean that it should become impossible to start Vecna during ToB, but if it is encouraged to start it afterwards, it would be better in ways of storyline. Just my point of view...

And thanks for the new version! :cheers:

#14 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

As you said in one of the posts above, I think it would be nice if one could play Vecna after one decided to become some sort of demi-god at the end of ToB. That doesn't mean that it should become impossible to start Vecna during ToB, but if it is encouraged to start it afterwards, it would be better in ways of storyline. Just my point of view...

And thanks for the new version! :cheers:

Cool i agree, and if i make that mod an optional component then vacna will still be compatible with the other tob mods such as prophecy. Will start looking at it, expect something around v21

#15 Cerest

Cerest
  • 157 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 10:41 PM

And if a character/party has the skill power and balls to complete hand/eye quest and the BALLS to own the said items they would only do TOB for a laugh

Hand, Eye and Balls of Vecna? Ew. I shudder to think of what one'd have to do to use the latter...

This is old but...
http://namingway.dev...Vecna-159481725

Edited by Cerest, 21 June 2011 - 10:43 PM.

#16 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Hi all what is this about a "fix" for vecna on BPv10?, what is the issue the fix is for? is it for versions pre v20? cos fairly confident v20 is free of serious bugs. If so what is the fix doing to v20 and v21 which am just about to release?

#17 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

Hi all what is this about a "fix" for vecna on BPv10?, what is the issue the fix is for? is it for versions pre v20? cos fairly confident v20 is free of serious bugs. If so what is the fix doing to v20 and v21 which am just about to release?

It seems to fix several script errors, though I don't know if they're still present in the latest version of Vecna. All those patch files will be applied to their corresponding baf namesakes. Every - in front of a line means that this line will be removed and eventually replaced by the next line beginning with a +.

If you already fixed those script errors, the corresponding patches won't be installed, as they've got no faulty code to replace.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#18 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

It seems to fix several script errors, though I don't know if they're still present in the latest version of Vecna. All those patch files will be applied to their corresponding baf namesakes. Every - in front of a line means that this line will be removed and eventually replaced by the next line beginning with a +.

If you already fixed those script errors, the corresponding patches won't be installed, as they've got no faulty code to replace.

10th

Ur ok that sounds fine, as long as the patching code recognizes rewriting and/or extending of dialogs and scripts then all is cool ( oh and possible renaming )
Yes i believe everything is fixed, am waiting for any bug reports for v20, if there are none then v21 should be a wrap, will call it release candidate 1 and have a well earned rest from modding.

Thanks for that mate, i assume the patch was made for versions before v20, but i would advise people to download v20 rather then using the patch on previous versions, but each to their own :)

#19 jube

jube
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

Hi all VecnaV21 i now uploaded, as mentioned before MUCH harder than v20, a real challenge, and have kept my original design goals, take whatever overpowered / uber / items or spells and you will still get a good fight :)

Still few things not perfect so not calling it RC1 yet, but nothing a player will notice, v22 will be done in approx a week and WILL be perfect, and WILL be RC1 :)

#20 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:36 PM

Nice. Let's see what we get next week. :)