The Ring Quest

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 -Grand Poobah-

-Grand Poobah-

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:55 AM

No, not that Ring.....in the Silverale Hall there is a lady in an upstairs room who had a ring stolen by thieves. She states that it occurred "in the poorest part of town" and that "they entered the sewers," or words to that effect. Charname even says that he probably knows where they are. I searched the sewers below The Copper Coronet, but can't find anyone who isn't already there. I didn't enter the room with myconids in it because...well, I just don't like myconids. Anyway, am I looking in the wrong place?

#2 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:10 PM

Very much the wrong place :P. Where do thieves normally go in Athkatla? BTW you can't solve this quest if you've sided with Bohdi - that's deliberate.

-Y-

#3 -Grand Poobah-

-Grand Poobah-

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

Okay, I found the guy with the ring...and his dialog was inconclusive, there was no Continue or End after his last statement. I tried this 3 times and got the same result; I had to hit Ctrl Alt Delete to restart my computer. I think that I am just going to skip this little quest.

#4 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:31 AM

What was his last statement? (A paraphrase will do - just something I can use to track down a possible bug).

-Y-

#5 -Grand Poobah-

-Grand Poobah-

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:49 AM

To paraphrase: "I guess it isn't worth much, she can have it back."

#6 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

The ring should now be in your inventory, unless something has gone wrong.

-Y-

#7 -Grand Poobah-

-Grand Poobah-

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

The problem was that the dialogue screen was freezing up at the last remark, but I swished the cursor back and forth, and that resolved the issue.

#8 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:54 AM

Strange, I never saw this bug when testing. I even did that quest many times.

Hope everything will work out fine.

Cheers

#9 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

Very much the wrong place :P. Where do thieves normally go in Athkatla? BTW you can't solve this quest if you've sided with Bohdi - that's deliberate.

-Y-

I'm really lost, the logical places for thieves I can think of are thief guild, taverns, or sewers (the one at temple district). I check them all but found nothing. Could you please be more specific, where exactly is the ring? :D
And oh, I sided with Aran btw

#10 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:13 AM

Thieves' Guild. There's a new NPC in there that you need to speak to before the quest will move on. If you absolutely cannot find him, please post a savegame after you have been through all rooms in the guild (ignore Aran Linvail's area).

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 07 July 2011 - 02:15 AM.

#11 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Thieves' Guild. There's a new NPC in there that you need to speak to before the quest will move on. If you absolutely cannot find him, please post a savegame after you have been through all rooms in the guild (ignore Aran Linvail's area).

-Y-

Absolutely nobody new, and I can't seem to find Elminster either (is he really in Trademeet?). I have FFT ver 1.1 (with the patch) installed, so it's supposed to be okay. Maybe it has something to do with another mod I have, it's the Ellistrae's song.
Here's my latest savegame, maybe you can figure something out :)

#12 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:46 AM

-Y-

Sorry, for some reason I just can't attach my savegame, is there any other way I can send it to you?

#13 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 02:54 AM

Finally, here's my savegame :D

Attached Files

#14 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:11 PM

Right - according to your savegame the required trigger variables are set but you definately have not found Oengus. He is in ar0306 just next to the entrance to Aran Linvail's lair.

Using Near Infinity, can you open ar0305.bcs and check for the following code snip:-

//Create Oengus of Caer Callidyrr
IF
	Global("ys_Oengus","GLOBAL",0)
	Global("ys_talkedToEP","GLOBAL",2)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
	CreateCreature("ysoengus",[664.550],14)
	SetGlobal("ys_Oengus","GLOBAL",1)
	Continue()
END
It's most likely the only code in that script unless someone else has modified the area too.

-Y-

#15 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:49 PM

Right - according to your savegame the required trigger variables are set but you definately have not found Oengus. He is in ar0306 just next to the entrance to Aran Linvail's lair.

Using Near Infinity, can you open ar0305.bcs and check for the following code snip:-

//Create Oengus of Caer Callidyrr
IF
	Global("ys_Oengus","GLOBAL",0)
	Global("ys_talkedToEP","GLOBAL",2)
THEN
	RESPONSE #100
	CreateCreature("ysoengus",[664.550],14)
	SetGlobal("ys_Oengus","GLOBAL",1)
	Continue()
END
It's most likely the only code in that script unless someone else has modified the area too.

-Y-

If you mean it's the one under AR0306.ARE, there's area script AR0306.BCS, the code is there allright, exactly as you said.
I finally removed both mods (ellistrae song and FFT) and installed only FFT and the patch, and suddenly Elminster is there in Trademeet :), as for Oengus, I had to use cluaconsole to bring him out :D.
So far everything looks okay, I'll let you know if anything wrong comes up.
And finally, thank you very much for the FFT, you know, it's amazing how I still play the game after like, 10 or 11 years? Great job :Bow:

Edited by udjank_ali, 07 July 2011 - 06:51 PM.

#16 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

Was that the only code in ar0306.bcs? Or is there some additional code too? If there is, would you be kind enough to paste the entire .bcs file here.

Thank you.

-Y-

#17 udjank_ali

udjank_ali
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Was that the only code in ar0306.bcs? Or is there some additional code too? If there is, would you be kind enough to paste the entire .bcs file here.

Thank you.

-Y-

I don't see other code in the file than you posted earlier, but you might want to check it yourself, here's the file :)

Attached Files

#18 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:24 AM

Okay - I just wondered if someone else had also modified the area and added code above mine, then missed out a Continue() statement. That situation would have prevented Oengus from spawning.

Given that, I can only conclude that you've had a one-off glitch in that the area script doesn't run for some unknown reason. Your recovery - spawning in Oengus via the CLUAConsole - was the right way to fix the problem.

-Y-

#19 -Rick-

-Rick-

Posted 23 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Hey there. I found the guy with the ring, but the dialog locked up on me as well. Do you know of a solution to this?

#20 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:49 AM

Where exactly does the dialog lock up? Can you post a screenshot?

-Y-