5 replies to this topic

#1 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:07 AM

Hello,

My mod NPC has the following custom amulet (I call it a pendant)

// Erysseril's pendant
COPY ~Erysseril/items/EP#ERYAM.ITM~ ~override~
COPY ~Erysseril/lib/EP#LYCH.EFF~ ~override~
COPY ~Erysseril/lib/EP#LYCD.EFF~ ~override~
  SAY NAME1 ~Unicorn Pendant~
  SAY NAME2 ~Unicorn Pendant~
  SAY DESC ~A Mielikkian's holy symbol, this pendant appears as the head of a sleeping unicorn on a blue field. The item is blessed to protect a follower of the Lady of the Forest from damage, as well as to hit better and do extra damage against lycanthropes.

STATISTICS:

Wearer may case Cure Moderate Wounds and Neutralize Poison three times per day each.
   Grants +3 to hit and to damage vs. Lycanthropes

This item cannot be removed.~

Does it look reasonable, or is it OP?

Is it possible to add an effect/ability to grant the wearer an always-active Know Alignment when she's relatively close to another character? Would doing so be OK, or would that make the item OP?

Please share your thoughts on this. Erysseril, the item's owner, objects to certain types of people (Red Wizards, Invokers, Necromancers, and evil Drow), and won't work in a party that includes any such characters, but it would be unfair to assume she can detect evil without that ability being present, somehow.

The previously attached .itm has been removed.

Thanks,
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 14 April 2013 - 10:32 AM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#2 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:22 AM

Comments:

* If you want feedback, post the entire description from the start, don't force people to download your item just to see what it does.

* The above is especially valid when your item uses two custom .EFFs which you do not include in the post (and as a suggestion, I'd use your own modder prefix for those, too).

* Cure Medium Wounds and Neutralize Poison both once/day, plus whatever + to Hit & Damage against lycanthropes, doesn't sound overpowered at all, assuming that + is reasonable. I don't see anything protecting from damage FROM lycanthropes, though.

* Adding Know Alignment to the item is IMO worthless. The only time said spell is useful is for one of the Paladin's stronghold's quests, and there are scrolls for that. Just say something about it in the item's description and that'd be enough. Script her reactions to the vanilla/mod NPCs that fit those descriptions and you're set.

Edited by Daulmakan, 03 August 2011 - 08:25 AM.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#3 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

What Daulmakan says.

And since it's a holy symbol you could do more IMO.

Cheers

#4 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:24 PM

Looks like I need to do some serious editing of the item. I haven't looked at it for a very long time, but I knew it needed revisiting. I attached it only in case anyone was interested; the descriptive text comes straight from the .tp2, and I forgot all about the .effs, so I'll have to re-create those (assuming I figure out how), unless there's an easier way to achieve what I'm after with the item, which is simply to give the wearer a bonus to AC, allow her to cast Cure Medium Wounds and Neutralize Poison, and to grant a bonus to hit and to damage against lycanthropes. So, I'll put it on the workbench and retool it.

As for adding anything else, I figured there were enough things packed into the item already. However, as was mentioned above, this is a holy symbol, of a sort. Mielikki saw to it that Erysseril would receive it, following the religious experience that inspired her to dedicate her life to Mielikki's service, thereby becoming a Needle.

[EDIT] The two .eff files used are vanilla, if memory serves: LYCANHIT.EFF and LYCANDAM.EFF. NearInfinity sees them, so I'm guessing I don't need to include the two files in my mod. The value of each should be 3, so I've created two custom .EFF files to reflect this.[/EDIT]

Thanks!
Eric

Edited by Eric P., 18 January 2014 - 09:41 AM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#5 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:05 PM

Comments:

* If you want feedback, post the entire description from the start, don't force people to download your item just to see what it does.

* The above is especially valid when your item uses two custom .EFFs which you do not include in the post (and as a suggestion, I'd use your own modder prefix for those, too).

* Cure Medium Wounds and Neutralize Poison both once/day, plus whatever + to Hit & Damage against lycanthropes, doesn't sound overpowered at all, assuming that + is reasonable. I don't see anything protecting from damage FROM lycanthropes, though.

* Adding Know Alignment to the item is IMO worthless. The only time said spell is useful is for one of the Paladin's stronghold's quests, and there are scrolls for that. Just say something about it in the item's description and that'd be enough. Script her reactions to the vanilla/mod NPCs that fit those descriptions and you're set.

I appreciate your taking the time to address these issues! Already responded, but I wanted to back up and state this, if for no other reason than to let you know I didn't ignore you wink.gif

Gotta go I've gone back to the .tp2 and mentioned that the item allows Erysseril to detect evil, in the interest of full disclosure. She'll still be highly suspicious of such exceptions as Yasraena, and of all arcane spellcasters, to one degree or another. Her sect (the Needles) opposes mages who deal in fire magic.

Edited by Eric P., 18 January 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#6 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:08 PM

What Daulmakan says.

And since it's a holy symbol you could do more IMO.

Cheers

This gets me to thinking that I've should examined the vanilla holy symbols, to get a better idea of the relative power scale of the items. I don't want to get out of hand with it.

OK, I've seen that the holy symbols add MR and STR, but I don't want to include either on the pendant. At some point during the game, Erysseril will have the opportunity to gain a special belt that grants additional abilities, so that will more than make up for any weakness of this item, relative to the vanilla holy symbols.

Edited by Eric P., 14 April 2013 - 10:36 AM.