Photo

Spoilers: Tester area for BETAv3.0

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#61 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:19 PM

Strohm's Infernal Guards - When talking to them, I asked "Why do you not attack?" and one of them said "I have no name, for my purpose is to serve.", which didn't seem to match up to me.

Wrong link in the dialogue. The 'answer ' should be 'The guards stand perfectly still, not making a sound.'

Hive Mother - I noticed that she attacked me, as neutral, before ever beginning her dialogue. Is that supposed to happen?

I guess there should be a dialogue. At least I´ve converted one into WeiDU.

#62 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:27 PM

There's something with the bats that causes the slowdown, but I don't have time to fix it now. :(

Hmmm... I never had any problems with speed or slowdowns (1GH AMD, 256 MB Ram, 32 MB ATI).

#63 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:41 PM

What exactly should we be looking for, I've only found a few new things.

There's over 40 000 words of new dialogue. Take a guess.

If you really need help, check the version history.

#64 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 13 October 2002 - 10:46 PM

Vampire that gets taken away - I know headstrings are going, but I wasn't sure if this one would be. The mage says "His lord requires the remaining paladins, so must look elsewhere for sustenance." His lord doesn't look right and shouldn't it be "so you must look...".

It should be "Our Lord" but the rest is fine.

Infernal Guards - Occasionally when fighting these guys when they cast a spell, in the info screen, the game displayed a journal entry from the Five Flagons Inn.

Cuv test string I suspect (so he can check when they're casting such and such)

Hive Mother - I noticed that she attacked me, as neutral, before ever beginning her dialogue. Is that supposed to happen?

Easily sorted.

Dialogue - It might be just because of the tiny-as hell corridors of Windspear Hills, but i haven't got an interjection yet (Just before the Cult). I'm going to go to a save right at the start of ToB.

There's a lot of paths and only so many interjections. Have a good party and do something evil, that'll trigger a few.

Edit: The third Imoen banter can happen outside the dungeon. Judging by the options, it's not supposed to run until inside the dungeon.

Until all the dungeon stuff is in place I can't really work out what timings we'll need. This will be sorted out later.

Battle - I have had my butt handed to me several times so far, but it's yet to get to the point of frustration. I died three times fighting Strohm, but I expected that.

Monster layout and difficulty are being overhauled.

#65 -Delvar, to lazy to log in-

-Delvar, to lazy to log in-

Posted 13 October 2002 - 11:41 PM

The only big dialogue I had was with the cult mage, everything else either says you big galoot or attacks me, and that dumb cobalt dragon still won't talk to me.

#66 Xyx

Xyx
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 04:59 AM

So, Xyx, why exactly are the vampires acting so strange when they should be trying to kill me?

Because something seems to be wrong. :ph34r:

#67 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 October 2002 - 05:26 AM

Alright. Looks like my report will have to wait until i can figure out what is wrong with my damn computer. BG2 crashes after about 2 minutes. Not the ideal environment for testing.
This way? That way? Which way?

#68 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 17 October 2002 - 10:05 PM

Still awaiting some feedback from testers. Please post your observations and comments.

#69 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 12:32 AM

I apolagize for this taking so long guys. And I really hope this is the type of feedback you are looking for.

Character: Sorceror/Chaotic Good
Imoen
Keldorn
Aerie
Mazzy
Minsc

**DIALOGUE FEEDBACK**

Imoen Dialogues:

My thoughts: I really enjoyed these. I thought they were well written and Imoen was in character. It was a bit odd, to start with, getting called Little Brother. (Odd like Aerie calling me ?my love?), but I got used to it.

Improvements: I can?t think of anything that these need to be improved upon. Well written and in character.

Jarata: N/A. I played good, so no Jarata Chat.

Introduction: This was excellent. Set the mood for the mod.

Bert and Ernie: Heh, this was funny. I chose the Ignore option and Minsc killed one of them.

Vidar:

Problem: Is it possible to make him initialize dialogue later then he does? He initiated dialogue when I was still outside the door, which wouldn?t help with interjections, if your going to add them/already in.

First choice: Chose the top-most option, about being surprised there?s any living creatures left in Amn. I don?t get the second thing he said after this. ?When you have been granted such a gift as I, perhaps you will not be so swift to condemn what you have become?? It may just be me, but that does not seem to match to the initial player choice or what he said before that.

Second choice: Chose the ?Whatever you are plotting, I shall stop you? option. The first thing he says, at the end ??Does this surprise you?? and then follows it up with ?We both have our parts to play??, which seemed a bit odd, that he would ask a question that seems to want an answer and then gives no chance to answer, but speaks again. Maybe it?s intended, but doesn?t seem right.

Third Choice: I chose the, ?Indeed, neither seem in control of our lives.? Option. He told me my end is inevitable should our paths meet again. This dialogue was quite enjoyable, although a bit short. Definitely could do with an interjection, although maybe it does, because, as I said, I couldn?t get all my party close to him.

Knights of the Order: Should they recognize Keldord/Anomen? Or Keldorn/Anomen recognize them? Maybe even Mazzy? Seemed a bit odd that I went through the dialogue (leading to them attacking me) without Keldorn or Mazzy saying anything, especially when they attacked me.

Other then that, it was enjoyable. I was quite surprised when they attacked me, wasn?t prepared either, so that caused some problems.

And then they were in the room that is north(?) of them, with the original dialogue again. So I had to kill them a second time.

Lone Knight: This was excellent. I managed to convince him to go to the entrance, but once there he was an enemy, so when I walked back to check he got there, I had to kill him. Again though, I couldn?t get my characters close enough to get any interjections.

That?s all I have managed to get through for now. As it?s Friday and I?m going out.

#70 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 05:57 AM

Vampires bats: The one that cast spells switched between neutral and hostile, but never went to Vampire form.

Beholder Lair: This was an extremely interesting area. I can't remember making so much use of spells like Death Ward and Zone of Sweet Air before. I believe it's already been pointed out, about the Gas Spheres? I died quite a few times, but that was from sheer stupidity on my part.

Xylaxia:

First Choice: Chose the "Intruders? What happened here?" option. Ignores the more important question and answers about intruders. But then...I wouldn't expect a Hive Mother to be accomodating.

Rest of the dialogue: All the choices I made matched up and was well written. I can't think of any improvements it needs or any other questions I would want to ask.

Infernal Guards: I really enjoyed this dialogue. I especially liked the descriptions of what they were doing. Again, I can't think of any improvements/questions.

King Strohm: Maybe I just chose the wrong dialogue options. But this seemed a bit short, there was five pieces of dialogue with the choices I made. Or is that intended as a sign of his insanity?

The Battle: The fight upstairs was way hard, after the fight with Strohm. Both were very enjoyable however. His time-stop spells are just plain nasty. Glad I had a few freedom scrolls.

Time for bed. I'll finish up my report some time tomorrow.

#71 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 09:13 AM

I played good, so no Jarata Chat.

Just create an evil character and summon in RTWJarat.

Heh, this was funny. I chose the Ignore option and Minsc killed one of them.

Part of this chat is picked at random when you enter the dungeon.

First choice: Chose the top-most option, about being surprised there?s any living creatures left in Amn. I don?t get the second thing he said after this. ?When you have been granted such a gift as I, perhaps you will not be so swift to condemn what you have become?? It may just be me, but that does not seem to match to the initial player choice or what he said before that.

Vidar is just smarter than you then. Anyway, do you always reply to the question asked, or rather answer the one you wish they had asked, or perhaps you simply ignore someone and reply with whatever answer you wanted to give anyway?

Second choice: Chose the ?Whatever you are plotting, I shall stop you? option. The first thing he says, at the end ??Does this surprise you?? and then follows it up with ?We both have our parts to play??, which seemed a bit odd, that he would ask a question that seems to want an answer and then gives no chance to answer, but speaks again. Maybe it?s intended, but doesn?t seem right.

People often ask rhetorical questions. He's not really asking you, he's assuming you are surprised.

Should they recognize Keldord/Anomen? Or Keldorn/Anomen recognize them? Maybe even Mazzy? Seemed a bit odd that I went through the dialogue (leading to them attacking me) without Keldorn or Mazzy saying anything, especially when they attacked me.

Almost any route which leads to them attacking should have all the good people interjecting. What route did you take?

Lone Knight: This was excellent. I managed to convince him to go to the entrance, but once there he was an enemy, so when I walked back to check he got there, I had to kill him. Again though, I couldn?t get my characters close enough to get any interjections.

Will look into it.

Maybe I just chose the wrong dialogue options. But this seemed a bit short, there was five pieces of dialogue with the choices I made. Or is that intended as a sign of his insanity?

It's actually as long as both Hive Mother and the guards... longer in fact, it may simply be that the routes are less connected (thus leading to it being shorter, but wider).

I appreciate the dialogue feedback, and look forward to any further thoughts you have... especially on the dialogue with the boss. That's something I will need extensive testing on. There are a lot of variables involved in that one.

If you're not bored of it, you haven't tested it enough.

#72 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I was planning on playing an evil character, after I finish the current game.

Knights of the Order: The route I took, If I remember correctly was.

Asking them if they were dominated/converted. Then saying I was there to help the order. Then asking what was going on there and finally saying that we would not travel together.

I'll finish up my current game later on today and then begin an evil game.

#73 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 October 2002 - 08:30 PM

Vampires: Is there repurcussions for not staking them? Or is it just a bonus for people who came prepared?

Knights in the cells: Are these guys hostile because I was attacked by the group of Knights earlier?

Cult: All the questions I would have asked were there and both Keldorn and Mazzy had there piece to say. I had to CTRL+Y the Cult to kill them before they starting casting spells. Other then that, it was an enjoyable dialogue.

Prison Spirit: Is he supposed to have dialogue? I got 'has nothing to say to you.'

Vampire: In the same room there is something you can try and stake, but won't let you stake it.

Lich fight: Phew this was a tough fight. The combination of spells messed me up, like 4 or 5 times. Very enjoyable.

I will get to the dialogue with Dasypus when I am feeling a bit better.

#74 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 02:34 AM

Dasypus:

First Path: There was two Jarata options here. One was where I said I suspected she was working for him. And another asking what he did to her. Should there be two options?

I chose the I suspected she was working for him option. I then chose the "I'd say her plan has worked well so far" option. After that I chose the "What does it all mean? Who knows your name? Who will fear you coming?". His response seemed odd, to me. He said "Your concern for her is slim indeed; so easily distracted from your cause..." but I never showed any concern for her. Just that I believed she was working for him.

I then chose the "Do not attemtp to distract me..." option. And went through the path about who Jarata is, until I got back to the beggining. Most enjoyable so far.

Second Path: I then chose to ask about my "Destiny and what he knows about it". I followed the path with him blowing me off with questions about myself. This is one frustrating Dragon. ;)

No problems with that path.

Third Path: I asked him about his Destiny and why he is reluctant to speak of it. His story was very well done. I wonder why he didn't respond to Keldorn? He seems to me the kinda dragon who would respond to such a doubtful remark as Keldorn made. (IMO).

This was excellent however. No problems that I saw.

Fourth Path: I got the option to say I had killed Vidar, even though, I hadn't. Or at least don't remember doing so. Also there was the option to ask why he hates the order, even though I already knew why. Maybe he should say that you've already asked. Or maybe I shouldn't ask questions, I've already asked...

No other problems, that I saw.

Fifth Path: Heh. I had to laugh at the option to say "I must admit, I thought they would have more to say." when talking about the other BG2 Dragons. After he says "Unlike myself, I suspect they were unimpressive beasts..." You can say "You did kill them, though. Is that a habit of yours?" Who did he kill? We were talking about the other dragons. Why can I now talk about him killing something? Or am I reading it wrong?

Other then that, a most enjoyable path. No other problems.

Sixth Path: No problems with the "..considering how fast I could kill you." path. It was good to see a boss who actually recognizes you *are* powerful, at least.

Last path: I chose the "I have listened to all you said, and have thoughts on your situation, if you would hear them." I then chose the "then entrance is blocked" and "After Garren died" choices. Time for the fight.

I died like 4 or 5 times. Heh. I'll remember to prepare for dragon fights, one day.

I will start my evil game some time tomorrow. Hopefully the feed-back will be better as well, sorry.

#75 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:18 AM

Vampires: Is there repurcussions for not staking them? Or is it just a bonus for people who came prepared?

There are a system of globals in the mod to accomodate vampire respawning, but it isnt activated yet. There will be some repercussions for not staking these coffins... they will come back:p. One of the coffins belongs to Vidar, and the others to the other named vamps: Hareishan, Del and Parisa (Valen may also appear if not in the party).

Knights in the cells: Are these guys hostile because I was attacked by the group of Knights earlier?

I will have to look closely at their creature files and see why they also go hostile... they shouldnt. I had the same thing happen in my testing.

Prison Spirit: Is he supposed to have dialogue? I got 'has nothing to say to you.'

His dialog isnt in place yet. He is Father Mathias,the spirit of a cleric sent to destroy Karlash the Unmerciful... but was somehow trapped inside that sarcophagus while still alive and died inside. He doesnt know that he is dead. He helped with the construction of the pit that you describe in your next question.

Vampire: In the same room there is something you can try and stake, but won't let you stake it.

That is a special pit with the fire of Torm that will destroy the phylactery of Karlash when placed inside. The vampire staking cursor is temporary. It will also destroy the phylactery of King Strohm (if you are fortunate enough to find it)..... and it will also cleanse Carsomyr should the dragon complete his plans and use it for his dark ritual:p

Would that be better as a container where you could put the items to have cleansed? That would be just as easy to do... the scripts could be based upon the puzzle chest in the Spellhold Assylum. When a certain item is in the container, then the script would do something to the item.

Lich fight: Phew this was a tough fight. The combination of spells messed me up, like 4 or 5 times. Very enjoyable.

Hehe... that is a purely standard SoA lich, more precisely; one of the elemental lichs. I think what is making it more challenging is the tight corridors and banshees?

First Path: There was two Jarata options here. One was where I said I suspected she was working for him. And another asking what he did to her. Should there be two options?

I questioned this myself, and I believe Quitch is working on that. My gripe was that I was trying to avoid talking about Jarata entirely, but kept getting it as possible questions.... I was eager to hear his story:p

Third Path: I asked him about his Destiny and why he is reluctant to speak of it. His story was very well done. I wonder why he didn't respond to Keldorn? He seems to me the kinda dragon who would respond to such a doubtful remark as Keldorn made. (IMO).  

There is no need for response to Keldorn here... as Dasypus should recognize Keldorn as a decendent of those that twisted the truth about him and killed his mate. He should not allow Keldorn to leave under any circumstances. There are books you can find in SoA and WK that will help you understand: Fall of Valier vol.I and II. I wont go pinpointing where I put them, but one of the books is a partial diary by Galdor Firecam of his trek through the mountains to kill some dragons:p I do believe that Dasypus *should* be given a response to Keldorn personally... and claim to know his family history.

"You did kill them, though. Is that a habit of yours?" Who did he kill? We were talking about the other dragons. Why can I now talk about him killing something? Or am I reading it wrong?

Yes you are reading it wrong, but that also means that it isnt clear enough to the player... so that is our fault, not yours. He killed every single inhabitant of the city of Valier; men, women, children, beasts... not to mention Knights of the Order and Priests of Talos. It appears that response it in the wrong place in the dialog... you should get any of those options unless you have listened to his tale.

I died like 4 or 5 times. Heh. I'll remember to prepare for dragon fights, one day.

Quick question for everyone here: Have any of you managed to talk the dragon down? This is important to know... neither Quitch nor myself have been able to do so yet, but it should be possible.

Thanks for the report Mael.... excellent feedback:D

Cuv

#76 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 03:35 AM

"Yes you are reading it wrong, but that also means that it isnt clear enough to the player... so that is our fault, not yours. He killed every single inhabitant of the city of Valier; men, women, children, beasts... not to mention Knights of the Order and Priests of Talos. It appears that response it in the wrong place in the dialog... you should get any of those options unless you have listened to his tale."

Edit: Re-read what you said again. Oops.

"Hehe... that is a purely standard SoA lich, more precisely; one of the elemental lichs. I think what is making it more challenging is the tight corridors and banshees?"

The banshees and the Infernal guards. When I fought them, there was 2 banshees, 2 infernal guards and the lich. Plus a stray wight or two that wondered up. I don't think the corridors messed me up at all. The combination of spells I meant, was the Banshees, the greater malison and the lichs spells.

"Would that be better as a container where you could put the items to have cleansed? That would be just as easy to do... the scripts could be based upon the puzzle chest in the Spellhold Assylum. When a certain item is in the container, then the script would do something to the item."

I don't think so. I tend to click on anything that can be clicked on, so if it's clickable, then I imagine most people will click it and find out what it does.

"Quick question for everyone here: Have any of you managed to talk the dragon down? This is important to know... neither Quitch nor myself have been able to do so yet, but it should be possible."

No I haven't really tried talking him down, yet. Will try on my next time through. Which should start tomorrow some time (as Evil, with a good party.)

#77 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 08:42 AM

I think one of my other mods is messing up rtw so I'm going to get rid of everything and try again.

#78 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 12:01 PM

There was two Jarata options here. One was where I said I suspected she was working for him. And another asking what he did to her. Should there be two options?

I don't want to tell the player they do or do not trust Jarata, that's for them to deicde.

I chose the I suspected she was working for him option. I then chose the "I'd say her plan has worked well so far" option. After that I chose the "What does it all mean? Who knows your name? Who will fear you coming?". His response seemed odd, to me. He said "Your concern for her is slim indeed; so easily distracted from your cause..." but I never showed any concern for her. Just that I believed she was working for him.

That's me being sloppy. I'll clear that up.

I questioned this myself, and I believe Quitch is working on that. My gripe was that I was trying to avoid talking about Jarata entirely, but kept getting it as possible questions.... I was eager to hear his story:p

The paths are carved up on a per-subject basis for good reason. If you ask the same questions in every path then it quickly becomes tedious.

He does. When Keldorn expresses doubt that Dasypus could be one of the dragons involved he switches to another section (without Keldorn he says something else). When Keldorn interrupts again Dasypus simply awaits your response (Keldorn's is to be expected after all). It's you he's interested in.

I got the option to say I had killed Vidar, even though, I hadn't. Or at least don't remember doing so. Also there was the option to ask why he hates the order, even though I already knew why. Maybe he should say that you've already asked. Or maybe I shouldn't ask questions, I've already asked...

If you haven't then feel free to lie. I didn't limit options to truth only, nor my perception of a character (for example, how you view Jarata is up to you).

Fifth Path: Heh. I had to laugh at the option to say "I must admit, I thought they would have more to say." when talking about the other BG2 Dragons. After he says "Unlike myself, I suspect they were unimpressive beasts..." You can say "You did kill them, though. Is that a habit of yours?" Who did he kill? We were talking about the other dragons. Why can I now talk about him killing something? Or am I reading it wrong?

You're reading it wrong. He says *you* not *I*. Something like "them" or "it" is always talking about the last thing mentioned, in this case the dragons.

He is pointing out that you expected them to say more, yet you hardly stuck around for talking, since you killed them. Hard to talk when you're dead.

"You [the player] did kill them [the dragons], though. Is this a habit of yours [the players]?"

Last path: I chose the "I have listened to all you said, and have thoughts on your situation, if you would hear them." I then chose the "then entrance is blocked" and "After Garren died" choices. Time for the fight.

Close... can you check the Dasypus LOCAL RTWDasypusBond value next time? If you've heard his story, and he likes you, then Dasypus will go further down this road with you. You appear to have heard the story, but not formed a close enough bond with the beast.

Good stuff, keep it up.

#79 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 04:56 PM

Edit:

Next time I play, I will pay closer attention to the globals.

#80 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 05:12 PM

...My computer is too weak to handle RTW at the moment. The amount of enemies within the dungeon make for massive slowdown. I'll be upgrading soon, however and will get back to you all once I'm able to test RTW without problems (from my PC).