102 replies to this topic

#81 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 01:42 AM

Salvanas-

Just Ctrl+Y all the monsters as you see them... and concentrate for now on the dialogs with the principles:

Vidar
Dominated Knights
Hiding Knight
Jailor
Sir Donalus
George and Bert
Enghrath
Dasypus

Cuv

#82 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 05:43 PM

In that case...Vidar is ALWAYS in mist form when I encounter him...yet he's described as if he were in actual vampire form. While the description is cool...doing it while he's in mist form is kinda...ah, whack. Did I accidentally kick his arse somewhere else before entering that room?

The Knights of the Order...Ah...I don't think a single cautious person (or rather...person that isn't nieve) can get through that dungeon without piling their corpses all over the place. There's the first three that are suspect and then the second batch that are even more suspect because they're tripped up the same way as the first group. I simply don't trust them because their talks of the 2 "exits" sounds like total and utter BS coming from their mouths. And...because you don't trust and attempt to leave one batch that attack you, forcing you to respond in self defense, you have to kill them all? Even the one in hiding? Why? Viconia seems to be the only responsive member in my party (consisting of Keldorn, and also Imoen). Perhaps it's the tight spaces...but...I believe I control + J'ed on my second attempt to get all possible dialogue. They only noticed Viconia that time, as well...but it could just be my memory. It's been over a week since I last tested it.

The ghouls are cool.

Everybody knows about the gas-spores.

I believe Quitch mentioned a lot of unneccessarily repeated areas. I side with him fully in this one. I dunno...to be honest...I REALLY hated stumbling into that beholder lair, yet again. There's the one under the Temple district in Athkatla and the same in the underdark. Would it be possible for you to do some minor editing, color-wise, scramble the place up a little bit, or put them somewhere entirely new? We all know where the monsters will be located as soon as we step into the lair...even on first-time experiences.

I laughed at the item-placement. Quitch is also right in his opinion of this, as well. It's a little too convenient. And there sure are a lot of anti-mage rods...are there even that many in Watcher's Keep?

My game crashed at some point during the talk with the red cloaked-dudes when they asked for the Carsomyr. It was probably just my PC, though.

I hope I'm not too blunt...and please don't take offense.

EDIT: OH!!! How the does a beholder use a hand-held key? It might need a description change. Vidar's key...should in Vidar's possesion. Either you find it before you meet him and wonder who Vidar is...or you find his key lying on a table after he's gone. Why would he leave his own key lying around like that?

#83 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 23 October 2002 - 08:57 PM

In that case...Vidar is ALWAYS in mist form when I encounter him...yet he's described as if he were in actual vampire form. While the description is cool...doing it while he's in mist form is kinda...ah, whack. Did I accidentally kick his arse somewhere else before entering that room?

His form will be changed, he isnt supposed to appear in mist form... that isnt the way I made his creature. He is supposed to leave as a bat. All this is being reworked with the new dungeon graphics.

There's the first three that are suspect and then the second batch that are even more suspect because they're tripped up the same way as the first group. I simply don't trust them because their talks of the 2 "exits" sounds like total and utter BS coming from their mouths.

Those are the same three Knights, there cutscene to leave the first dungeon isnt firing for some reason.

Even the one in hiding? Why?

The Hiding Knight is 0n-the-level, but you will have to calm him down before getting information from him. He isnt dominated, just really scared.

I believe Quitch mentioned a lot of unneccessarily repeated areas. I side with him fully in this one. I dunno...to be honest...I REALLY hated stumbling into that beholder lair, yet again.

All those areas are being dumped and replaced with new graphics. There will still be a beholder lair, but it will have unique geography when finished. I'm working on the main dungeon first.

I laughed at the item-placement. Quitch is also right in his opinion of this, as well. It's a little too convenient. And there sure are a lot of anti-mage rods...are there even that many in Watcher's Keep?

I'm sure its easy to side with Quitch, unless you know that all that crap was just temporary for testing and awaiting feedback on what should be there. There will only be 3 containers in the first dungeon anyway. While I welcome criticism, I would rather it be constructive and not just taking someone's side in a matter:p The whole dungeon was presumably cleared out by the player on the first visit anyway.

Vidar's key...should in Vidar's possesion. Either you find it before you meet him and wonder who Vidar is...or you find his key lying on a table after he's gone. Why would he leave his own key lying around like that?

You are very observant, and yet you miss the point of testing. The key is only lying on that table so that testers can pick it up and use it:p

I hope I'm not too blunt...and please don't take offense.

No offense taken, I'm glad you are paying close attention. As a tester, I would suggest that you read all the threads thoroughly from the other testers and mine and Quitch's comments. We need the dialog tested at this time, monsters and item reports dont help us much... as that will all be changed. I am currently working on the main Firkraag dungeon. It will be an entirely new tileset for the next build, complete with the custom difficulty level monster placement, only 3 containers and new graphics.... much has changed since your last visit to Windspear:D

Cuv

#84 Salvanas

Salvanas
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 05:01 AM

Well...I did convince that hiding Knight that I wasn't out to get him. He was hostile before and after I encountered him though, so he still attacked my party.

EDIT: I was never able to actually talk to the other Knights of the Order because of my scuffle with the first three makes them all hostile. I'll try to keep them on my side next time, so I can check the dialog.

#85 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 06:45 AM

Thanks Salvanas:)

Yeah, there seems to be something wrong with the Knights. The hiding knight is supposed to be hostile until calmed down, but the others shouldnt go hostile unless they have reason to be. Its either in their creature flags or something in the scripts they share that is making them all hostile.

I would love to hear some comments on the Dasypus dialog. See if you can talk him into leaving and giving you everything:p You will have to listen to his whole story, have the right stats and make the right choices... but its supposed to be possible to talk him out of his revenge plans. There is a nifty cutscene with him casting a special Gate spell and leaving through it if you succeed. I think you will need high Wisdom, Int and Charisma to do it.... and NO Keldorn in your party.... I think. Quitch can confirm or correct that.

Cuv

#86 Dyara

Dyara
  • 262 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:33 AM

I think you need only INT>7, but there a lot of possibilities, maybe some of them need higher stats.

You can talk him down with or without Keldorn or Sir Anomen (at least in the current version).

#87 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 07:54 AM

Excellent:D Thanks for keeping me up to date Dyara:) I would think that talking him down shouldnt be possible with Keldorn in the party... considering his family history:p At least Keldorn should be able to explain... or help convince the dragon that revenge is a futile and meaningless goal to waste so many years pursuing.

FYI:The work with the new render of ARRTW1 is going well after adding the new door overlay, adding back in the principles again and the three containers, got all the doors working, but still need to add back the ambient sounds. There is a problem with both NI and IETME about ambients crashing the game... but I will work it out.

Cuv

#88 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 09:42 AM

He fires a polymorph spell, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Incidently, thoughts on intejections (both included and not) are welcome. Does X sound like X? Should Y chip in at point Z? They are a little thin on the ground right now.

#89 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 04:19 PM

Ok my version is really messed up, I think most of the rtw files are either missing or corrupt or something, because nothing is working right. What files should be there, and what mods will really mess rtw up?

#90 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 08:25 AM

What mods do you have installed with RTW, Delvar?

I would strongly suggest that you uninstall all mods, and reinstall RTW for testing. We can determine which mods it will and will not work with later, and put that into the ReadMe. As a WeiDU mod, it *should* work with all other WeiDU mods, unless something is being changed in the other mods. RTW has mostly unique file names and should be independent of other mods.

Cuv

#91 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 10:34 AM

I have all the non-tweak WeiDU mods installed and they haven't caused me any problems. They really should affect us in any way since they change existing game elements, which we don't touch. This is a new quest after all.

The most likely cause of a problem would be one of the following:

* You're using a save from a previous beta in a RtW affected area.
* You've installed and uninstalled several WeiDU mods in varying orders.
* Your MOD download was corrupt (though your archiver should pick this up)

A clean install of everything is always the best way to go.

#92 Delvar

Delvar
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 10:11 PM

I'll try playing it again tonight after another wipeout. One bug that I was able to find was when the pc goes slayer when they talk to Jart nothing happens and you have to alt f4 out of the game, and my rogue was unable to disarm her, and I think his dex would have been high enough.

#93 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 12:40 AM

You may think that, but I assure you, you are wrong.

There is a way to lower the check though.

#94 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 12:08 AM

The third Immy kitty conversation can start on it's own(As in, outside the RtW dungeon), if you wait long enough, methinks? ?:)

There's one weird thing if it does, maybe mowe... :D

After kissing Immy kitty on the forehead(Gweat stuff! Meow!!!), then helping her up *purrs* The third dialogue choice is "You are not well, Imoen. I want you to wait at the main entrance, you will be safe there until my return." Mrrr ^_^

That happened in the Marching Mountains(Outside, not in Yaga Gugu's home), so main entwance seems a bit out of placies? ?:)

*purrpurrrs* :)
Is kitty :)

#95 Quitch

Quitch

Perfection

• Modder
  • 1132 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 01:19 PM

Once the area order is finalised the Imoen chat triggers will be sorted.

#96 Michel

Michel

Damn. I'm good!

• 1003 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 02:00 PM

I have 2 questions:

1) How much dialogue testing is still requierred?

2) When can we expect the next beta version?

#97 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 02:37 PM

Quitch has been taking a bit of a break from the mod the last week... cant say that I blame him one tidbit. It shouldnt be too long... I am ready with a bunch of new areas that could at least be put into a patch added to 3.05. They add considerably to the download size though; about another 15MB RARed.

*Vidar Coffin room
*New main dungeon graphics
*New door in the dragon lair... so no need for complicated area switching cutscenes to open the treasure room, just a simple door that can be locked to prevent parties from running in there before the dragon is dead or gone.
*Karlash room
*New Undead Beholder lair

Ooops... forgot to answer your question about dialog testing: Alot is needed. Most of the feedback we have heard is about monster encounters which were destined to change. We need detailed feedback on all dialogs and any missing NPC interjections where appropriate.

Also needed is testing of the NPC dialog, as it has not been tested yet. You can now get the new NPC if you download the new ARRTW3.rar from Michel's site.

Cuv

#98 Gospel

Gospel
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 03:00 PM

Once the area order is finalised the Imoen chat triggers will be sorted.

Okies, Quitchy cat ^_^

Thankies :)
Is kitty :)

#99 Mael

Mael
  • 84 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 12:50 AM

ARRTW1

Overall look: Did Dasypus go nuts in here? ;) Certainly looks like someone had some fun messing the place up. But, it looks good, imo

Secret Door: Was this the one that led to the "Throne" room? If so, yes I found it. ;)

Door to Maze: I guess this is more of an 'exit', but yes it works.

At x2830 y1504 is something suppose to appear when you click with the '?' cursor? Because nothing happens.

At x444 y1954 is something suppose to appear when you click with the '?' cursor? Because nothing happens.

A bit further over (Golem room in standard Firkraag dungeon): Crap. Almost had a heart attack when those vampires and bats appeard. I don't think my computer likes that fight. Almost made BG2 crash.

Door to ARRTW4: Works fine.

King Strohm Door: Uhh. This was locked. Is it supposed to be locked?

In the area before Dasypus: Both of the map notes display log dialogue text, instead of the map note. Kinda minor, just thought I'd point it out.

ARRTW8

There is a body (or something) on the floor near the sarcophagus, nothing happens when you click on it.

The torches lit and the Karlash appeared.

ARRTW3

There is another pile of thing to click on and nothing appears. Sorry if you guys are aware of this stuff.

Door to treasure room opened and Shel appeared.

I could not find the door to ARRTW7. I had Jan searching for traps all over the place, as well.

Sorry this took so long, been kinda busy with alot of stuff lately.
This way? That way? Which way?

#100 Cuv

Cuv

Area Maker (retired)

• Modder
  • 925 posts

Posted 09 November 2002 - 05:17 PM

Long post with heavy spoilers for non-testers. You have been warned.

ARRTW1

Overall look: Did Dasypus go nuts in here?  Certainly looks like someone had some fun messing the place up. But, it looks good, imo

Great to hear:D That remodeling job took me quite some time, but I think the effect is worth it. It's supposed to give the impression that something happened in there.

While the following may not be spelled-out within any particular dialog, it might be useful to post it for when people ask questions about this.

The idea here is that Dasypus tunneled inside the dungeon, then set up his magical barrier. While making his tunnels, he caused alot of structural damage...duh:D He tried to cross the bridge, but it collapsed... so he tunneled around it through the cavern:p But also, his moving through the earth altered the course of an underground river which caused the floor to collapse in the *maze* area... opening up an ancient passageway.

Secret Door: Was this the one that led to the "Throne" room? If so, yes I found it.

Hehe... just a little extra. How long did it take before the secret door became visible? Could you have possibly missed it if you had not hung around in that area? I dont want it to be obvious.

At x2830 y1504 is something suppose to appear when you click with the '?' cursor? Because nothing happens.

That info cursor still needs text. I will PM you with its significance. The second info cursor you listed will simply say that is where Dasypus tunneled inside the dungeon.

A bit further over (Golem room in standard Firkraag dungeon): Crap. Almost had a heart attack when those vampires and bats appeard. I don't think my computer likes that fight. Almost made BG2 crash.

That is the custom difficulty at work:D Open up your CLUA console and set "RTWMyDifficulty","GLOBAL",0. That way only one vampire will appear. I havent set specific coordinates for the spawns yet.. so they will just appear right next to you.

Door to ARRTW4: Works fine.

Excellent. Those caves might look familiar to you if you have played IWD2:p... but with a little modification by me.

King Strohm Door: Uhh. This was locked. Is it supposed to be locked?

Which door is locked? Can you give me coordinates to the general area?

ARRTW8

There is a body (or something) on the floor near the sarcophagus, nothing happens when you click on it.

That also needs info text. That is meant to be the body of Darius' friend who was killed by Karlash recently. That is just part of the Demi-Lich quest.

The torches lit and the Karlash appeared.

Great:D How was the effect? I timed the torches to light in a closing circle... and not all at once. Are the flames too big? Too blue? Comments are welcome.

ARRTW3

There is another pile of thing to click on and nothing appears. Sorry if you guys are aware of this stuff.

That is just an info cursor I put in to tell the player that these are the remains of the missing knights and engineers mentioned in Garren's letter. The only knights that the player has a chance of saving are the ones in the cells, the hiding knight and Garren.

Door to treasure room opened and Shel appeared.

Great:D Avoid posting direct comments about this character for now here. Try out Shel and start a new thread with comments about that. Put a big spoiler warning in the topic. I want to keep this secret for a while... so use your best judgement. Only technical issues should be discussed. No specifics please. No mention of class, race, or gender:D

I could not find the door to ARRTW7. I had Jan searching for traps all over the place, as well.

Good:D I dont want it to be easily found. I will PM you with directions on how to find it.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Keep in mind that none of the text strings will be right by dropping such files into your override as they havent been written to the dialog.tlk. Let me know if you find anything else out of the ordinary or simply wrong in some way.

Cuv