Skyrim Collector's Edition Announced

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:57 PM

Bethesda has announced the Collector's Edition for TES V: Skyrim on their official blog. The prices will be as follows: 149.99$ (US), 149.99? (Europe), 129.99£ (UK), & 199.99$ (Australia). It appears that they've had a hard time grasping the concept of different currency rates, because 149.99 EUR = 214.21 USD right now. :rolleyes:

I'm not usually the one to say this, but I don't think that I want this particular CE.

For months many of you have asked for details on whether or not there will be Collector's Edition for Skyrim. At the end of a rousing QuakeCon presentation, game director Todd Howard confirmed its existence.

The limited collector's edition for The Elder Scrolls® V: Skyrim? will be available for Xbox 360, PS3, and Games for Windows and can be pre-ordered now through participating retailers in North America, Europe and Australia. Like the regular release of the game, the Collector's Edition will be available on 11.11.11

In addition to including the highly-anticipated game, this premium version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim also includes:

• Alduin Statue: Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector's only statue stands 12? tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater. He stands perched atop one the game?s many dragon walls that teach the player the lethal language of dragons.

• 'The Art of Skyrim' Official Art Book: Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8" x 12 1/8" coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game's iconic visual style.

• 'The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim' DVD This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.
If you're interested in purchasing, we recommend you pre-order asap, as the it will be available in extremely limited quantities.

Pre-Order up at Amazon.com ? more listing to come!

Posted Image

#2 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

I decided that I really didn't want this one, and went to pre-order the regular version for 32.40? (incl. shipping). I just can't pay 149.99? for a game.

#3 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:20 PM

That...is a really big price tag. :huh: It looks like nice enough extras, I suppose, but that's just way too rich for my blood. Cheap edition it is for me.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#4 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Bethesda has announced the Collector's Edition for TES V: Skyrim on their official blog. The prices will be as follows: 149.99$ (US), 149.99? (Europe), 129.99£ (UK), & 199.99$ (Australia). It appears that they've had a hard time grasping the concept of different currency rates, because 149.99 EUR = 214.21 USD right now. :rolleyes:

I'm not usually the one to say this, but I don't think that I want this particular CE.

Wow...just..Wow. The Aus dollar is currently at 1.04375 to the US dollar and we get charged nearly $200!!! Well if people in my country are silly enough to pay such ridiculous prices then they will keep charging them. *shrugs* Even the digital download, standard edition of Skyrim is something like $89 for Australian buyers.
Heh..I think I'll do my usual for a Bethesda game and wait for patches and half-way decent mods to come out before I buy. I've only started playing the GOTY edition of Fallout 3 recently so I'm in no hurry.
Apparently Todd Howard thinks games are too expensive. Well, except Skyrim of course.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#5 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 04:33 AM

I guess the statue puts up the pricetag.

I paid for the oblivion collectors easily enough but Skyrim is steep indeed. :huh:

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 11:41 AM

I guess the statue puts up the pricetag.

I paid for the oblivion collectors easily enough but Skyrim is steep indeed. :huh:

I also bought the Oblivion CE, but this is too much for me. Think about it this way: I could pay an extra 117.59 euros to get this CE, and for all that money I'd only get a PVC statue, an art book, and one extra DVD, which will be on YouTube within days. :mellow:

For example, I could buy a hand painted dragon statue of higher quality, five fantasy novels, and some Blu-ray movies with that kind of money. :cheers:

#7 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:19 AM

Comparing this to star wars the old republic Limited Collector's Edition ($149.99)

Spoiler

What do you think is better? :P

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:12 AM

Comparing this to star wars the old republic Limited Collector's Edition ($149.99)

Spoiler

What do you think is better? :P

I'd skip that one as well. I don't think there's anything in it to warrant paying that much for it.

Well, at least the ad image is 6000x3900... :P

#9 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

Yeah, this is way too expensive for me, it's more expensive than the stroller I plan to buy for our incoming bundle of joy... <_< The statue does *not* justify that high a price tag... Cheaper version it is for me, as well!

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#10 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 06:13 AM

Heh I am even in USA myself and I think ill pass on the collectors edition myself...Quite bogus countries outside USA / Canada and what not get the shaft eh?

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:38 PM

Heh I am even in USA myself and I think ill pass on the collectors edition myself...Quite bogus countries outside USA / Canada and what not get the shaft eh?

There's been some talk of whether this is an attempt to "secure" money, as in adding to the cost of the CE due to an expected piracy spike (of the standard edition) when the game is released.

#12 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:41 AM

There's been some talk of whether this is an attempt to "secure" money, as in adding to the cost of the CE due to an expected piracy spike (of the standard edition) when the game is released.

Not sure how sound that strategy that would be. My guess is that a lot of people who would've gotten the CE will now get the standard edition. The way I see it, they're loosing money.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#13 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:14 AM

Not sure how sound that strategy that would be. My guess is that a lot of people who would've gotten the CE will now get the standard edition. The way I see it, they're loosing money.

Yeah, I have my doubts about it as well, but I guess the fact that they're limiting the print of the CE to a lesser number than with Oblivion has something to do with it. And people will buy this CE, you need only to read the proper forums. ;)

I guess they really like dragon statues. You can get a huge garden dragon statue made out of concrete for that price though. :P

#14 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:02 PM

Apparently they accidentally bought boxes for the CE that were made for PC towers...

#15 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:34 PM

This is one of those instances when big is just too big. :rolleyes:

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#16 Aeryn

Aeryn

Peacekeeper

• Modder
  • 764 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:46 PM

I think my 4 year old can fit in that thing. That has to be a pain for stores doing midnight releases.

Visit My Etsy Shop!

Completed Works:

Sarevok Romance

Haer'Dalis Romance

Sarevok Friendship

Contributions:

Romantic Encounters

Works in Progress:

Haer'Dalis Friendship

#17 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:11 PM

Yeah, but think about how hard it's for shoplifters to sneak one out under their coats. That's a brilliant strategy!

Buzzinga.

#18 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:05 AM

Here's the final look of that microwave-oven-sized Collector's Edition... it's to scale. Yes, that is how small the DVD case looks in comparison. I'd consider buying this if I was on the market for a cardboard summer house.

Posted Image

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 08:04 AM

News:
Excerpts from the CE Art Book @ Beth Blog

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

Like noted in the news thread, the CE unboxing videos have been released. Here's one from Kotaku AU.