Where are the files?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 -Pr-anx-

-Pr-anx-

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

Okay, so I downloaded a mod, read the instructions on how to install, then promptly fell flat on my ass when looking for the data folder for Oblivion. Now, I kinda know how to extract the files from experiance, but when I went looking for the files...really anything I had on Oblivion, all I found was a game folder labled "my games" with a folder labled "Oblivion" and inside that folder? Saved games. That's it. There is no visible files other than saved games anywhere on my computer for oblivion. This confuses me. I think it may have something to do with the fact that, about a month ago, my I was replacing my computer and had to wipe all my games out. When I wiped Oblivion, though, the main files stuck. I even went to uninstall/change programes, but my computer said they didn't exist, though they were plainly there. The files were still there when I bought the 5th anniversary edition, and all I had to do was put in the disc and it ran. No installation needed. Is anyone else experiancing this problem?

#2 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 01:06 AM

I think your issue here stems from the possibility that you might be confusing the files in which Oblivion stores work files (saved games, the ini, etc) which are in your "My Games" folder in your documents and the data folder where you installed the actual game files (which were specified during the installation process, typically c:\Program Files\Bethesda\Oblivion but you can install it pretty much anywhere you want). The latter is where you'll find the "Data" folder where you place mod files.
At this point, your install must be a mess if all you can find is the Oblivion folder in the Documents. My recommendation would be to wipe it all (including the "Oblivion" folder in My Documents, you can keep your saved files, but you might run into hiccups) and reinstall the game from scratch.
Good luck! ^_^

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#3 -Pr-anx-

-Pr-anx-

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:53 AM

I think your issue here stems from the possibility that you might be confusing the files in which Oblivion stores work files (saved games, the ini, etc) which are in your "My Games" folder in your documents and the data folder where you installed the actual game files (which were specified during the installation process, typically c:\Program Files\Bethesda\Oblivion but you can install it pretty much anywhere you want). The latter is where you'll find the "Data" folder where you place mod files.
At this point, your install must be a mess if all you can find is the Oblivion folder in the Documents. My recommendation would be to wipe it all (including the "Oblivion" folder in My Documents, you can keep your saved files, but you might run into hiccups) and reinstall the game from scratch.
Good luck! ^_^

#4 -Pr-anx-

-Pr-anx-

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:55 AM

I tried, but as I stated before, there is no file. I go to add/remove programs to completely uninstall it, and it says there is no such location or file named Oblivion or even Elder Scrolls. I didn't even have to install the game because of this, and the games been off my computer for almost five years before this.

#5 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

No, when I mean "wipe", I mean actually use your Explorer to shift+delete the files manually. The program manager is not going to be any help at this stage, because your install is so mangled. Also, I'd be very surprised if you didn't have some kind of "Data" file with the game resources somewhere on your computer, I don't see how Oblivion could run without them. Have you tried a computer wide search for them?

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#6 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:57 PM

By the sound of it you may also need to clean the registry of any Bethesda keys before reinstalling. Search for 'Oblivion' and delete every one you find.

-Y-