BioWare's New Franchise?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:38 AM

GameInformer confirms the new franchise part, and it would seem that EA is adding another studio under BioWare's name. The sources are legit, so I'm fairly certain that this isn't a hoax.

You may commence speculation. I'm calling another sci-fi series.

#2 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:16 AM

I need a new multi-NPC AD&D RPG.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#3 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

I can haz Forgotten Realms? :whistling: This is purely speculation on my part, though... (I don't even know if they own the rights to them) But it would be kinda neat...

Edited by Eleima, 04 November 2011 - 04:29 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#4 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:41 AM

...Eberron?

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#5 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

They were using sci-fi footage for the trailers, so I'm thinking it won't be a fantasy setting.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#6 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:13 AM

I can haz Forgotten Realms? :whistling: This is purely speculation on my part, though... (I don't even know if they own the rights to them) But it would be kinda neat...

Hasbro has the rights again, so BioWare would have to get a license from Hasbro/WOTC. I doubt that they will do so though - they don't like forking over money when they can just invent their own setting. Obsidian is more likely to go for a D&D game IMO.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 04 November 2011 - 08:14 AM.

#7 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hasbro has the rights again, so BioWare would have to get a license from Hasbro/WOTC. I doubt that they will do so though - they don't like forking over money when they can just invent their own setting. Obsidian is more likely to go for a D&D game IMO.

As soon as I'd posted, I had this nagging feeling they didn't own the rights. Aw well, won't hold my breath, I guess. :rolleyes:

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#8 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

...Eberron?

I think I agree....

-Y-

#9 Igneous

Igneous
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

Another new studio? Oh, bah. We all know Edmonton is the only one that counts. :P

I just hope we get an actual RPG.

#10 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

It's a shame that they aren't restarting the Jade Empire franchise... if they ever will, I promise to pre-order their ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition that comes in a refrigator box (comparison: Skyrim CE).

...Eberron?

I think I agree....

-Y-

It would be interesting, but I just don't see BioWare EA paying Hasbro for the license. Kudos to them if they will though, but I doubt it.

It could be another MMORPG... <_<

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

I need a new multi-NPC AD&D RPG.

Have you tried BWP (i.e. a heavily-modded BG2/BG1)? I haven't, but you might check out even fairly newer mods since 'before your day laddie' (e.g. Yovaneth's Fishing for Trouble). It's the game that keeps on giving.

The sources are legit, so I'm fairly certain that this isn't a hoax.

Hmm, I remember hearing that about the Piltdown Man in my day...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#12 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

maybe its a spy-game with C&C? To be honest EA/Bio are moving more toward action games rather RPG. I have more hopes on Obsidian doing the IWD3 then then EA/Bio doing a RPG unfortunetly. Still one can hope.
Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#13 Kwiat_W

Kwiat_W
  • Modder
  • 290 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:15 AM

GameInformer posted first image from this new Bioware game.

http://www.gameinfor...-franchise.aspx

It looks like the new game will be set in modern setting.

icon11.gif W_GUI - a GUI replacement for Baldur's Gate 2/TUTU/BGT/CA
icon11.gif W_PackMule - Your own pack mule for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA, BGEE and BG2:EE

icon11.gif Psionics Unleashed - play as a Psion, mod for Baldur's Gate 2/Tutu/BGT/CA

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 04:15 AM

Wow, looks like exactly the kind of game I don't like. Ah, well, others will like it.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#15 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

I do recall them saying in an interview that they wanted to focus on doing some kind of modern day thing. So, really, I'm not surprised. 38 studios has a cool looking game coming out anyway. I saw the alpha at E3 this year. I can still get my fantasy fix.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/ag

Not everyone's cup of tea but the demo looked really neat. Plus, the designer liked my hair. So it's a win win.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#16 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Wow, looks like exactly the kind of game I don't like. Ah, well, others will like it.

I was about to say 'unless it's Indy' but.... further research ruled out the Jones family.

I do recall them saying in an interview that they wanted to focus on doing some kind of modern day thing. So, really, I'm not surprised. 38 studios has a cool looking game coming out anyway. I saw the alpha at E3 this year. I can still get my fantasy fix.

http://reckoning.amalur.com/en/ag

Not everyone's cup of tea but the demo looked really neat. Plus, the designer liked my hair. So it's a win win.

Hmm... I might just join you there.

-Y-

#17 KIrving

KIrving
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:26 PM

It's a shame that they aren't restarting the Jade Empire franchise... if they ever will, I promise to pre-order their ridiculously overpriced Collector's Edition that comes in a refrigator box (comparison: Skyrim CE).

I'd love another eastern style rpg like Jade Empire!

It could be another MMORPG... <_<

Yeah, the world needs another one of them.

From the screenshot it looks a bit like Rage.

I quite like a post apocalyptic setting as long as I'm not forced to play a generic, white, male, with buzz cut and beefcake as the protagonist.
"I'm just here to get the job done, let someone else be on the poster." Female Commander Shepard

#18 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Yeah. The picture basically says Mad Max - which I loved growing up, but it's not a setting I'm looking to game in...

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Yeah. The picture basically says Mad Max - which I loved growing up, but it's not a setting I'm looking to game in...

Looks more like a modern shooter title than a post-apocalyptic RPG. That's a bad thing.

#20 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Hmm yeah. Sadly, you're right both on both accounts.

Edited by Dakk, 11 November 2011 - 07:38 AM.