Photo

Wild Surge idea/help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

I am new to the modding world of BG, and am by no means affluent in it yet, so forgive me if this question comes across as silly.

I was wondering if it were possible to add a wild surge effect to an item, using NI? An example would be effect 73, which rests your character after a spell is cast, rendering the spell available again.

Also, what is the skill/item that reduces the casting time of your spells? Not improved alacrity, which removes the round between spells, but rather the effect that removes the cast time from each spell completely.

Any help on either of the subjects above would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit: I should have mentioned this was intended for the Baldur's Gate series.

Edit: The spell in question is Daer'Ragh's Mental Agility. I tried copying the spell effects to an item using NI, but got an error while saving. The same error occurs whenever I make any sort of change to an item and try and save it within NI.

Edited by Piggles, 10 November 2011 - 02:14 PM.

#2 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Bump for help regarding my NI problem. No matter what I do, I cannot edit an item and save it, it just says error saving (item), and doesn't give me any indication what the error is.

Tearing my hair out here. Any help would be very much appreciated.

#3 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:20 PM

87 views and not a single one of you can help? You must have encountered this problem before, surely?

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

I cannot edit an item and save it, it just says error saving (item), and doesn't give me any indication what the error is.

Just noticed this... Have you removed the Read only tag from the setup ? Ah, that plagues the DLTCEP...
What version of NI are you using ? The last in the first post here might be far better...

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 18 November 2011 - 12:34 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#5 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 09:47 PM

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I tried both of your suggestions and neither of them worked. Interestingly enough, this error is only affecting items, apparently. So far everything else is able to save.

#6 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:37 AM

Can you provide an exact quote of the error message?

Edited by Wisp, 19 November 2011 - 06:38 AM.

#7 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Posted Image

This is all I ever get, no matter what item I try and save.

#8 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

Probably because you've installed BG2 in Program Files, which is a really bad move, if you're using Windows Vista/7.

Don't install in Program Files or Program Files(x86) if you're using those two.

A solution would be to move your Black Isle folder out of C:\Program Files and change the paths in Baldur.ini accordingly - for both games if you also have BG1 installed.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#9 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:54 AM

He, people still haven't learned, and still won't learn twenty years on.

Maybe it's best to have a check in Big World for this?

Glad to use linux.

#10 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Why am I not surprised that it has something to do with Vista? Well, that's why I'm the newbie. The last time I played BG was on XP and its prequels. Thanks kindly for your advice, despite how stupid the question may have been. I will try your suggestion and reply with the results.

Thanks again.

Edited by Piggles, 19 November 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#11 Piggles

Piggles
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

Re-installed it to the games folder, everything now works NI wise. Thank you very much for helping with a question I'm sure all of you are very sick of by now. Either way, I am very appreciative, and very excited to play around in NI.

Thanks again for all your help.

#12 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 02:28 AM

Just for future reference:
You don't have to re-install BG1 or 2. You simply move their folders somewhere else, in your case C:\Games, change the paths in Baldur.ini and start them with BGMain.exe instead of Baldur.exe.

10th
Avast! You cannot defeat our titan-mounted submarine staffed by cannibal vikings! - Nodwick

"I grab his deceased spirit and piledrive it back into his body, duplicating raise dead." - Psyren Oots board

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Just for future reference:
You don't have to re-install BG1 or 2. You simply move their folders somewhere else, in your case C:\Games, change the paths in Baldur.ini and start them with BGMain.exe instead of Baldur.exe

One just needs to remember that the computers registry is not accurate anymore, and those they uninstall etc features won't work ... copy_is_always_better_than_moveTM.

#14 10th

10th
  • 621 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

One just needs to remember that the computers registry is not accurate anymore, and those they uninstall etc features won't work ... copy_is_always_better_than_moveTM.

That's a job for "generic registry cleaner xyz" or the mighty "regedit-search-find-delete".

And who would want to uninstall one of the best games ever, unless you have a serious lack of available space on your HD?

10th

#15 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

And who would want to uninstall one of the best games ever, unless you have a serious lack of available space on your HD?

Perhaps to start over... I don't, I have 10 copies of the game stashed away all over USB my hard drives in "storage".