24 replies to this topic

#1 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

Posted Image

GAMEPLAY THREAD

So here we are, 11.11.11 - the launch day for TES V: Skyrim. A long time in waiting, the reviews have been generating extremely high praise for the game all night. Personally I'm expecting my copy to arrive this afternoon, and I'll probably post some early expressions later today or on Saturday.

This thread will serve as the main hub for Skyrim gameplay related talk, so feel free to drop in at any time. The use of spoiler tags is recommended in the early going when referring to specific quests, plot items, NPCs, or equivalent. Use of common sense in determining when spoiler tags are necessary is allowed. ;)

I wish you all good travels in Tamriel once again!

#2 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

I spent like half an hour last night just going with the stream in a river I found, catching fish.

I was content.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#3 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

I've just opened my copy... I'll post some impressions later on, now I need some sleep. Incidentally, I also received the premium map that Bethesda was foaming about.

#4 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

I received the map, too.

Spoiler

#5 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

I got as far as loading and patching mine (what! you didn't watch the download stream!) and then stopped. Believe it or not, I'm busy playing the remastered Ego Draconis!!

Yeah, I got the map too. I looked at it, shrugged and put it back in the box. At some point it will join all the other game maps I've gathered over the years.

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 11 November 2011 - 05:05 PM.

#6 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:06 PM

I am not a huge fan of having to "favorite" everything to use it quickly...wish they did what they did in Oblivion...was a lot easier imo.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#7 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:23 PM

the game is actualy very nice. finaly they hired new voice actors yay
graphics are very cool and damn good optimised - my 2 years old PC can run it on max settings O_O
dual casting is just fun and powerfull. idk about the rest of the game but as for now the magic seems a bit overpowered.
my rant is for the very console-ish gui. its like the game is screaming at me "use gamepad".

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#8 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:19 AM

PC Gamer has collected Skyrim tweaks from various sources for those who are interested.

#9 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Well I've started a Let's Play Skyrim.
Biggest irk for me so far is that you feel like you should be using a gamepad.

Character Screenshot

#10 Irbis

Irbis

Drone Locker

• 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

so it isnt just me? hah!

Well I've started a Let's Play Skyrim.

Character Screenshot

how you did that badass pose?

Edited by Irbis, 13 November 2011 - 12:40 AM.

ico_0000_FB_png.pngico_0005_TW_png.pngico_0006_YT_png.pngico_0002_IDB_png.png

#11 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

Me and my sister share a copy. We must have put like twenty hours in between us since we got it (Saturday). It is epic. That is all.

Has anyone taken on a giant yet? I accidentally got into a fight with one earlier today, and I got in a couple of hits with my bow, but he rushed me and one-shot me with his club. (My character's level 10, but wears all fur armor. Kinda had the impression this hit would have been fatal even in heavy armor, though.) My character went flying about forty feet in the air, which was both spectacular and humbling.

Edited by Western Paladin, 14 November 2011 - 04:28 AM.

"Peace will come, but whether born of harmony or entropy I cannot say."

-- Oracle en-Vec

#12 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:33 AM

It isn't really my kind of game, but I got a copy for fiance on Saturday. He played for the rest of the weekend pretty much non-stop. He didn't take on any giants, but he keeps getting his butt kicked by trolls.

J: Turns out that trolls don't mind fire all that much.
Me: Oh?
J: Yeah, hit it with a fireball, took out a quarter of its hit points, and then I had to run away.
Me: You didn't hit it with another fireball?
J: No, I ran away before it pulped me.
Me: Yeah, it's called kiting. You run out of melee range and then zap it again.
J: Uh, yeah. Maybe next time.

He tends to be a "stand your ground" kind of player. He dies a lot.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#13 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:01 AM

Dare I ask.. how's the story? Seeing everyone get excited about it makes me want to get it and give it a go, but I need to be drawn in.

#14 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

There's no real story to speak of, which is one of the two reasons I just can't play it. You wander around an pick up individual quests, sometimes by accident. The quests are quite good, I'm told, but there's no driving plot to the game. It's strength is that it's completely non-linear. That's also its weakness, at least for me. I like a good story. The other reason I just can't enjoy it is that it isn't really a party-based game. You get a few companions here and there, but they don't have much personality. They're mostly there to carry your stuff, pitch in with combat from time to time, and get in the way when you use AoE attacks.

Fiance got a huge kick out of the crafting system.

For those of you with two gamers in one house, you can't seem to install it on two computers. That's a bummer. Also, if you have more than one game in progress, as you would if you have two players sharing one computer, you can't sort the saves by character. That gets confusing.

The scenery is gorgeous.

Not too big on the GUI, though.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#15 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

how you did that badass pose?

I swung the weapon and took a pic. ^_^

I haven't managed to play Skyrim this weekend since I gotten a virus on me (not my computer) and I had a pretty miserable weekend because of it.

#16 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:57 AM

Finished with the Dark Brotherhood, finished with the Thieves' Guild, both were a lot of fun. Right now, I'm running around clearing out the HUGE amount of side/misc quests that I'd been accumulating...

#17 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 12:43 PM

Taking my time. This game's gotta last me till ME3. :) Having a good time so far.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#18 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:25 AM

For taking down Giants...either kite them with a bow or spells as best you can...or if you have companion who is melee oriented...wait until that companion has the aggro and then get a few quick swings with your weapon against the giant...rinse and repeat!

Oh and Mammoths are fun to kill too...since there so big sometimes I have noticed they cannot charge you very well...so they are easily kited unless your in flat terrain with no rocks or hills or whatever...

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85

#19 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

Well, I've got to say that the character generation part is definitely handled better than it was in Oblivion. I actually managed to create an intelligent looking Breton character without having to use five hours on it. And after some .ini tweaks and enabling the game executable to use more than 2GB RAM, things were running smoothly. That is, until I started crashing/freezing out of the game... and later just Windows itself. Guess what? My power supply finally decided to retire itself. I had to order a new PSU (went for Corsair), and now I'm just waiting to see if I'll get it delivered in time for the weekend. Locked out from Skyrim at the moment...

#20 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:26 AM

Alright, no Skyrim for me this weekend...

Instead, I get to watch the funniest Skyrim glitches. Slight spoilers.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 18 November 2011 - 02:27 AM.