Photo

proficiency type: small sword?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

I would like to turn Xan into a bladesinger, and I'd like to give him proficiency slots to match up with his Moonblade. But I honestly don't know what to give him. His moonblade is the proficiency type: small sword. What does that mean? Should he get proficiencies in short sword? dagger? katana/ninja-to? What does Small Sword equate to in the BWP?
The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 11:10 AM

I would like to turn Xan into a bladesinger, and I'd like to give him proficiency slots to match up with his Moonblade. But I honestly don't know what to give him. His moonblade is the proficiency type: small sword. What does that mean? Should he get proficiencies in short sword? dagger? katana/ninja-to? What does Small Sword equate to in the BWP?

It's probably a longsword.. Unless you for install something that changes it.

It's most easy to check this by getting a recent version of any Infinity editor, and checking the item... it should be "sw1h13.itm".

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 06:47 PM

sw1h13.itm

Unless he's using Kulyok's Xan :) in which case the item would be different :D

Get NearInfinity from Jarno's link and search for your item. Goto the Edit tab and check the Proficiency field :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#4 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

A bit of necro if I may. Well, two bits actually :)

1. In BG1 part of BWP it is an oft case to get, or to see being sold, weapons having BG1 proficiencies in their description. Is there any rule of thumb that would allow me to quickly discern which of these 5 small swords being sold are actually short swords, and which are daggers, and so on? Something more productive when applied to multiple items than InfinityEngine (a merchant example - getting area name, finding the merchant (hoping it's in the .are, not in the .bcs), getting store, finding items one by one, checking weapon type)?

2. How does BG2 engine treat BG1 items in regard of proficiencies? What about weapon added by mods created for pure BG1? I suppose that .itm files in such mods will never have any BG2 weapon type assigned, so how would BG2 engine treat such items: like items not benefiting from any proficiency my chars possibly know?

Edited by Creepin, 19 April 2014 - 02:15 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#5 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:19 AM

1. In BG1 part of BWP it is an oft case to get, or to see being sold, weapons having BG1 proficiencies in their description. Is there any rule of thumb that would allow me to quickly discern which of these 5 small swords being sold are actually short swords, and which are daggers, and so on? Something more productive when applied to multiple items than InfinityEngine (a merchant example - getting area name, finding the merchant (hoping it's in the .are, not in the .bcs), getting store, finding items one by one, checking weapon type)?

You could purchase the items and save your game, then examine the .itm files in your party member's inventory in your saved game.

2. How does BG2 engine treat BG1 items in regard of proficiencies? What about weapon added by mods created for pure BG1? I suppose that .itm files in such mods will never have any BG2 weapon type assigned, so how would BG2 engine treat such items: like items not benefiting from any proficiency my chars possibly know?

All items from BG2 and BGT mods should have a BG2 proficiency assigned. BG1-only mods are not compatible with BGT (and I doubt BWP includes any). However, many BG1 mods have been converted to be BGT-compatible, and some of these conversions may have forgotten to update the descriptions to reference the BG2 proficiencies. That's a problem. If those descriptions are telling the truth, and the actual .itm was not updated to have a BG2 proficiency, that's an even bigger problem. In either case, the mod maintainers should be informed.

#6 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

You could purchase the items and save your game, then examine the .itm files in your party member's inventory in your saved game.
With Near Infinity, or ShadowKeeper at least so that you can get the .itm name.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#7 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:09 AM

So NearInfinity is the best bet, I see. Thanks for the explanations folks! :)

#8 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5148 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:46 AM

So NearInfinity is the best bet, I see. Thanks for the explanations folks! :)
Well, kinda, but kinda not. It depends on how familiar you are with editing the .gam in the NI... I am not, so I use the ShadowKeeper to know the .gam, and then edit the actual .itm file with DLTCEP... but that's just cause I know to trust the editors. Knowing that editing the files with NI, weidu and DLTCEP together can produce a multiple of mixed result that breaks the file, that for example the DLTCEP alone doesn't.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#9 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:17 AM

Save editing with NI worked for me to that little scope I've tried, like fixing wrong avatar on a PC or so, but it's not like I'm interested in editing weapon proficiencies in save files anyway, all I need is a way to check which ones does items in question already had, so I bet it's safe :)