Photo

Taming the audio codecs

2 replies to this topic

#1 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I'm posting this for a friend, but I'd be most grateful for advice I can pass on to him. I don't have his codec problem:

"Anyone know anything about codecs? My laptop is being overun by nonstandard codecs, and my audio is bugging out and lagging. I can seem to find the problem. I've cleaned my registry and done a complete system restore. But they are still there. Any ideas?"

I'm not a tecchie and I'm not even sure what he's taking about, but I'm sure many of you folks do.

Edited by Scipio, 06 December 2011 - 01:33 PM.

I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modder
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

Have your friend:
  • Open Windows Media Player
  • Press the ALT key to access the menus dropdown.
  • Follow ?Help?->?About Windows Media Player?
  • Click on the ?Technical Support Information? link in the About Window
  • It will generate a browser window showing the list of codecs on the PC.
Post the list here so we can see what we're dealing with and we'll go from there :)

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- <charname> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

Posted Image
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:45 AM

Have your friend:

• Open Windows Media Player
  • Press the ALT key to access the menus dropdown.
  • Follow ?Help?->?About Windows Media Player?
  • Click on the ?Technical Support Information? link in the About Window
  • It will generate a browser window showing the list of codecs on the PC.
Post the list here so we can see what we're dealing with and we'll go from there :)

Thanks, Sam, I'll do that.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.

Reply to this topic