• Please log in to reply
1504 replies to this topic

#1381 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

BWP20150220022306.jpg

24 Mirtul, 1281

Our long trek to the Dragon's Eye makes us complacent, because as soon as we get near it we are ambushed by snow trolls! They kill Imoen before any of us can do anything.

BWP20150220021720.jpg

Shar-Teel, with her Fire Shield and single Fireball, becomes the heroine of the day!

BWP20150220022026.jpg

Then, after resurrecting Imoen and camping out for the night to make sure we are ready to take on everything here, we buff up and then quite literally enter into the eye of the dragon.

BWP20150220023620.jpg

The place is full of lizard men! We begin our now-familiar dance of death.

BWP20150220023715.jpg

Some of the lizard men look different from the others. More green. I don't know if it is because of the color or what, but the green one kills Shar-Teel.

BWP20150220024029.jpg

I see if the Weave wants to help, and it does, but just not us.

BWP20150220024159.jpg

But since Imoen has summons running, we just keep on truckin'.

BWP20150220024533.jpg

As we go deeper into the caves, we hear what must be the conversations of prisoners. The missing villagers!

BWP20150220025054.jpg

After Imoen's summons disappear and we find 5 lizard men coming after us, I decide to test the Weave once again with a Glyph of Wild Magic. Terrible, terrible vengeance is visited upon the lizard men.

BWP20150220025319.jpg

And then Dar raises his hand in prayer.

BWP20150220025453.jpg

An impressive fight, but it is all over quickly.

BWP20150220025702.jpg

With that, I consider our main power spent. I hope those villagers can survive for about 16 hours because we have to go out and camp. On our way out we loot everything. These guys aren't very well equipped, because they only have masterwork quarterstaves or halberds, and hardly any treasure at all.

One of the chests looks like it has good loot in it, though.

BWP20150220030313.jpg

I can't identify the girdle. We're going to have to wait for me to rest up. So we do. We resurrect Shar-Teel, and identify the belt. It is not, as I worried, a belt of gender bending. Instead it is a Belt of Inertial Barrier!

Belt-of-Inertial-Barrier.jpg

Since Hrothgar is usually the first on the scene, I give it to him.

In those chests were also 13 antidotes and 20 Potions of Frost Giant Strength. The antidotes go to everyone, but only Hrothgar, Shar-Teel, and Dar can use the strength potions, so I divide them equally between those 3.

I also run across the Manual of Gainful Exercise, which reminds me that I have it. I decide to read it while we rest further.

BWP20150220030952.jpg

BWP20150220031040.jpg

Man! I feel like I can carry the world!

BWP20150220031050.jpg

Gameplay note: I can carry 200 pounds now. Since I don't have any extreme strength, my muscles are impressive but nowhere near, say, Minsc's.

For this new day, we explore a new direction. But the caves are still, unsurprisingly, filled with lizard men.

BWP20150220031542.jpg

High on their new potions, my front line makes hamburger out of the four lizard men they array against. This is horrific and awesome at the same time.

We wander into a corner of the cave filled with giant spiders and giant beetles. The beetles blow something at us.

BWP20150220031758.jpg

There was a lot of poison involved here, but when the smoke clears we are all still alive, and Shar-Teel seems to have gained an important insight about swords.

BWP20150220032228.jpg

BWP20150220032309.jpg

BWP20150220033736.jpg

BWP20150220033753.jpg

We fight some more spiders and beetles, and eventually we find the elusive Smite Good Spiders?!

BWP20150220034239.jpg

Gameplay note: I think something is messed up with my spell effects, because several spiders threw Web spells at me that created these spell effects. Its amazingly beautiful, but it isn't web.

At the back of the spider caves we find a dead adventurer, complete with equipment and journal.

BWP20150220035041.jpg

We pick up his journal and read it.

BWP20150220035545.jpg

COUSIN XAN?!? HE DID KNOW XAN!! This is the elf from the Easthaven inn. And... and now he's dead. Well, crap. Now I'm starting to get a better appreciation for Xan's outlook on life. I wonder how many cousins he's lost?

He also left his broad sword behind.

Erevains-Broad-Sword.jpg

Hrothgar looks over the body and shakes his head.

BWP20150220040057.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg Who knows? He may have left during the night, before we set out. After all, he knew these hills well.

BRKVQ.jpg (*Reading Everain's journal*) I wonder... do all Evereskan elven folk feel the same way about the world?

Hrothgar.jpeg I don't know about all that, as I have not met many Evereskan elves on my journeys. But Erevain did seem to be the pessimistic type.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Pretty good magic user though and an ok fellow... if you didn't listen to him too closely, that was.

BRKVQ.jpg Xan had his uses. Magic users were in short supply back then... or at least any that were willing to join our inexperienced little group. But that was then, and this is now. We can do no more here. Let us move on before we share this fool's fate.

Hrothgar.jpeg When we are done here, and the gods permit it, we should try and find his people... return his journal to them. That is all that we can do for him. At least, that way, any family he has will not be left wondering his fate.

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg (*Scoffs*) Bloody foolish elf you mean! The arrogance of elves, the males especially... well, this one certainly got what he deserved!

Hrothgar.jpeg Please, I believe a little respect is called for here Shar-Teel. Erevain had the courage and determination to try to help the people of Kuldahar, even though he must have known his efforts were doomed to failure. But he at least tried! Now surely, even you can respect bravery and courage in a man?

Shar-Teel-Firewalker.jpeg Bravery and courage I can certainly respect, but stupidity... never!

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1382 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

I take Erevain's broadsword in my own hand. I like swords, and this is pretty much the only connection I have to my own people... and Xan. You know, sometimes I wonder if I'm even a real elf. I don't know what being an elf means. I've been so focused on this Child of Bhaal nonsense about my father that I haven't even given much thought to my mother at all. But she must have been an elf, yes?

Next, we head north, right into the belly of the beast, so to speak. Right into the court of the Lizardman King, Lissspen!

BWP20150220041134.jpg

lissspen.jpg We take some for Yxunomei. Others taken for food.

BRKVQ.jpg Who is she? Is she your queen?

lissspen.jpg Yxunomei not our queen. She queen of the sssnakesss. Lizard King do Yxunomei'sss tasksss to get food for hisss people. Village providesss usss much food.

BRKVQ.jpg The village? You're eating the villagers?!

lissspen.jpg Lizard people ssstarving. Lizard King mussst make thingsss right and ssseve Yxunomei to help hisss people. You interfere. Cannot allow thisss.

And with that, he attacks.

BWP20150220041553.jpg

I guess its going to have to be a Glyph of Wild Magic to the face then!

BWP20150220041704.jpg

The Lizard King is grabbed by the Weave, slowed and rooted to the spot. Excellent! I start throwing high-level magic at him.

BWP20150220041810.jpg

My companions take out all of the other lizard men while I try to exert mental control over this summoned Greater Air Elemental.

BWP20150220041942.jpg

By the time the craziness clears, the Lizard King is injured, his retainers are at half strength, and none of them are looking our way.

BWP20150220042143.jpg

I suggest a coordinated strike.

BWP20150220042328.jpg

It's... uh... semi-coordinated.

BWP20150220042357.jpg

Does Dar really have to walk right up to his enemies before smiting them like that?

At any rate, melee cleanup is a breeze.

BWP20150220042603.jpg

There's a big giant snake statue that holds great promise of treasure!

BWP20150220042737.jpg

Its got some gold, gems, a magical crossbow that I again cannot identify, and 100 acid bolts for the crossbow. Awesome.

Then we find the captive villagers and free them!

BWP20150220043128.jpg

BWP20150220043149.jpg

Damn straight, big guy!

Just south of the captured villagers, we find another group of 5 Lizard Men. Dar charges them along with Hrothgar and Shar-Teel. Everything seems to slow down in my mind, every detail recorded perfectly. I do not understand why right away, but I do after a moment.

Dar begins casting his signature lightning calling spell. Shar-Teel and Hrothgar flank him on either side. The lizard men walk up slowly, as Dar continues chanting. This is all normal, I've seen it happen dozens of times.

I briefly think that Dar probably damages all those around him when the lightning strikes, but that it'll probably be okay. Hrothgar and Shar-Teel can take it. But then...

Then the lightning comes down. And after the brightness fades, Shar-Teel is no more.

BWP20150220043411.jpg

Gameplay note: Shar-Teel has been completely, utterly obliterated by friendly fire. This is the first time we've ever seen this happen in this Let's Play, because this feature was turned off by a mod for Baldur's Gate I. But, well, its on again. And I refuse to reload. Shar-Teel is gone.

So... uh... we all look around at each other awkwardly. This is... this must be the direct hand of Ilmater. Yes? Dar? Accalia? You guys are priests...?

Dar just looks at the ground where Shar-Teel must have been, and says nothing. Accalia shrugs her shoulders and lets out some kind of platitude about it being Shar-Teel's time. Imoen and I look at each other, half in disbelief and half in relief.

You gotta admit. That bitch was unbearable.

I give her ring to Dar. I take her Composite Long Bow for myself. And I stuff the rest of her equipment in my bag of holding. Rest in peace, you insufferable cow.

We can't dwell on this too long, because there are more villagers to save.

BWP20150220044627.jpg

And more experiences to ... accumulate.

BWP20150220044658.jpg

BWP20150220044721.jpg

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Screwing up her nose*) Ugg! What a horrible thought, those big lizards killing people to feed to slimy snake men!

XhduJ.jpg Tempus protect us from the depravity of these creatures... using the innocent to feed themselves and as payment to some monstrous queen.

Hrothgar.jpeg We have at least learnt who was responsible for the disappearance of so many people. I thank the gods that we were in time to save as many as we have. And I pray for the gods to take into their keeping the souls of those for whom we came too late. If we had waited another day, then... no, I don't even want to contemplate what we may have found within these caverns if we had not arrived when we did.

BRKVQ.jpg Then our next step should be to return to Kuldahar and see that all of the villagers have returned safely.

Hrothgar.jpeg The villagers are important, but our main concern should be to track down the villain responsible for these atrocities... and with all speed.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Hey, they're already waiting for us... why give 'em more time, I say?

XhduJ.jpg Prudence is always good counsel when preparing to confront the enemy, but any delay would not be prudent... it will only serve to benefit our enemy.

Hrothgar.jpeg As I said, we need to move with all speed now, my friends.

Okay, okay, geez old man! Give a wizard time to rest, will you? My ex-lover just died!

The Monk is always out to keep a wild mage down. But the Weave, she speaks to me. Together we work our collective will on this brittle, cracking world.
Playing the Big World Project Let's Play both here and on the Something Awful forums.

#1383 -serialk-

-serialk-

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

Pillars of Eternal Addiction, right?

#1384 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:57 PM

Yes. But not now!

#1385 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:59 PM

BWP20150221041526.jpg

25 Mirtul, 1281

After freeing all the villagers, we manage to find a way further down into the Dragon's Eye. I SUPPOSE, at Hrothgar's INSISTENCE, we can go down there to find snake men. And Yxunomei.

BWP20150221041813.jpg

Downstairs there are more beetles and spiders.

BWP20150222021437.jpg

They're actually really annoying in large numbers. The beetles' clouds can stun, blind, poison, and make people deaf. So its much easier to have Imoen's ogres take them on than to do it ourselves.

BWP20150222023329.jpg

And, uh, the Weave doesn't like them either.

BWP20150222023444.jpg

At the end of a long hallway, we find a dead adventurer, most likely a cleric by his warhammer.

BWP20150222023836.jpg

We pick it up and I can identify it. It is the Hammer of Comminution.

Hammer-of-Comminution0.jpg

Both Dar and Accalia are equally skilled in warhammers, but Dar already has two flails, so I give this warhammer to Accalia.

The dead guy was also carrying an interesting book, which after some inspection turns out to be the Manual of Weapon Expertise.

Manual-of-Weapon-Expertise.jpg

Wow, this book is quite powerful! I wonder who I should give it to for study?

Since we're at it already, I take a look at the crossbow that I picked up earlier. Its name is Daisy.

Daisy0.jpg

Nobody here is proficient with crossbows, but perhaps we can find someone later. I stuff it in my Bag of Holding.

In the west side of the area we find cave trolls.

BWP20150222025710.jpg

And then later, in the southwest portion of the cave, we see a strange structure, probably an altar.

BWP20150222030316.jpg

Our suspicions are confirmed after a moment, when we are attacked by talonite priestesses.

BWP20150222030429.jpg

I reach through the Weave, searching for its answer. I receive death in return - literally!

BWP20150222030530.jpg

My next spell shows me the strategy that the Weave would use.

BWP20150222030651.jpg

Yes, my Weave. I understand. I know what I must do.

But before I can follow up on my directives, the clerics flamestrike Imoen to death.

BWP20150222030806.jpg

I realize that Spell Turning is not enough to turn a Flamestrike. Despite the fires raging all around me, though, I am able to unleash a Glyph of Wild Magic.

BWP20150222030915.jpg

The results are uniquely beautiful.

BWP20150222031055.jpg

The fighters of the group manage to take out the last of the talonites.

BWP20150222031445.jpg

Good job everyone! But then a voice speaks from the darkness.

BWP20150222031454.jpg

mother_egenia.jpg I'm Egenia, a priestess of Ilmater from Kuldahar. When I learned that people were being abducted from our town, I decided to go into the mountains and wait for these vermin to come take me.

BRKVQ.jpg Ah, yes. Calliana told me about you.

mother_egenia.jpg She always worries about me without reason. She should have been worrying about the other people who were abducted.

BRKVQ.jpg What were the priests of Talona doing?

mother_egenia.jpg The priests and their reptilian allies seized me as I wandered in the mountains. They were about to sacrifice me to Talona in hopes that their foul god would grant them power for their deed.

BRKVQ.jpg Please, then tell us everything that you have heard.

mother_egenia.jpg I will try. The Talonites talked about a maze-like set of caverns controlled by undead. They also spoke of a second set of caverns guarded by the snake people themselves and the chamber of the snake queen Yxunomei.

Hrothgar.jpeg Thank you, Mother Egenia. That should help our planning.

BRKVQ.jpg That means at least two more sets of caverns lie ahead. I am betting that there could be more.

Hrothgar.jpeg I certainly wouldn't bet against you. Hopefully our opponents will continue to allow us to prepare for them one at a time.

With that, Mother Egenia walks past us and into the darkness to the southeast. We hear the sounds of freed villagers from that direction.

BWP20150222032200.jpg

Each of the talonite priests was holding a Large Shield +1, wearing Full Plate Mail, and using a Ring of Regeneration. I realize that Hrothgar hasn't been using a shield this whole time, even though he can. So I give him one of the large shields. Two of the enemies are also wearing Rings of Protection +1, so I give him one of those too. Finally, he gets a Ring of Regeneration along with the rest of us. He is looking quite formidable now.

BWP20150222033100.jpg

They also have a few good mage spells on them: Mass Invisibility, Spell Shield, and Tenser's Transformation. I don't know Mass Invisibility, so I try to copy it into my spellbook. But something strange happens. I get the words wrong, and mess up the scroll! This has never happened to me before! In contrast, Imoen successfully copies Spell Shield and Tenser's Transformation. I feel like a doofus.

After some time, we find a passage going down to a lower level. We leave these confusing caves behind us.

BWP20150222041423.jpg

The next level is obviously the one full of undead. We are greeted by some kind of bone golem.

BWP20150222041603.jpg

undead_lieutenant.jpg Yes. You are well learned. It took me many years to learn the necromancy to augment my priestly powers. It is nice to find someone who appreciates the dark arts. It is a pity my minions have to destroy you now.

Wait, we can talk about this... can't we? No? Well, okay, at least I have 3 spiritual people standing in between me and the undead.

I feel a tingle strongest from Hrothgar. I think he's turning undead harder than anyone else.

BWP20150222041908.jpg

With the undead running scared, and a few Sunfires from Accalia, we're good.

BWP20150222042521.jpg

Then we press further into the caverns. We are met with another identical force of undead.

BWP20150222043003.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg Look, whoever you are, I couldn't care less about your plans for world conquest. However, you and your cohorts are freezing the damned passes. That affects me, so I'm going to have to pound your head in. No offense, "friend."

undead_lieutenant.jpg None taken. However, you are attempting to thwart the will of Talona and our blessed ally, Yxunomei. I cannot allow that to happen. Also, we are *not* freezing the passes. That is the work of the Old Enemy. He and his minions will pay for their centuries of warfare.

BRKVQ.jpg The "Old Enemy?" Who is that?

undead_lieutenant.jpg Do not involve yourself in this affair. It is an ancient grudge between my worthy ally and her inferior. Now, if you will excuse me, my pets must finish you off. I have a war to plan.

One of the cold wights gets behind me and attacks me directly.

#1386 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

I throw my highest power of random magic at him. A Djinni responds!

BWP20150222043513.jpg

djinni.jpg Choose then, but be aware that unwise wishes shall leave the wisher wanting.

BRKVQ.jpg I wish to summon a horde to overrun my enemies.

djinni.jpg A horde? As you wish...

Then the now-familiar sound of a dozen summons surrounding me greets my ears. YESSSSSSSSS!

BWP20150222043753.jpg

These bunnies don't seem to attack, though. Or explode.

BWP20150222043910.jpg

But they are distracting enough to allow us to beat this fight.

BWP20150222044240.jpg

More exploration is rewarding, for we find some warm, relaxing hot springs.

BWP20150222044449.jpg

A little further down the path, though, is another undead strike team.

BWP20150222044538.jpg

Dar tries his thing on the wights, but it doesn't work out well.

BWP20150222044701.jpg

Accalia is much more successful in that regard.

BWP20150222044814.jpg

The Weave decides to go defensive for this fight.

BWP20150222044944.jpg

Hrothgar reaches deep within himself and pulls out something that I have never seen before. An intricate yellowish pattern burns itself into the ground and then shimmers in and out of focus.

BWP20150222045310.jpg

Gameplay note: This is a new ability that Hrothgar got called Repulse Undead. It doesn't seem to be working on the Undead Lieutenant though.

After a quick trip back up to the surface to rest and relearn spells, we come back down and continue on. Of course we meet a third company of guardians.

BWP20150222050028.jpg

We destroy them with the efficiency of long practice. Would it kill this necromancer to vary her tactics a bit?

The fourth group is simply too much.

BWP20150222050314.jpg

We destroy it too and are able to cross the bridge over the hot springs.

BWP20150222050734.jpg

Beyond the bridge is an old circular structure. Guessing I'll meet the controller of these undead, I step inside.

BWP20150222201409.jpg

presio.jpg Your name doesn't sound familiar to me. And who I am is of little importance for you. What are you looking for?

BRKVQ.jpg We are looking for the evil plaguing Kuldahar and for the Heartstone.

presio.jpg It's not the same. And you will never get the Heartstone because it's mine. MINE! (shouting)

BRKVQ.jpg Lady, it seems to me that you are crazy.

presio.jpg Am I crazy? Coming such a long way, you are probably very desperating to die. So be it.

Desperating? What does that even... oh. Attack. And that's not Presio!

BWP20150222202104.jpg

That was just Presio's bodyguard. The mage is invisible! I throw a Glyph of Wild Magic at her general direction.

BWP20150222203249.jpg

Gameplay note: I think the wild surges dire charmed Hrothgar and Dar, but they also gave us the Yeti. It is now on our side. So net gain maybe?

Then some things happen that I cannot account for.

BWP20150222203436.jpg

Gameplay note: Presio cast Time Stop and then cast Time Stop within Time Stop. So time is doubly stopped.

BWP20150222203527.jpg

Gameplay note: Then, thank the Weave, because everything is being Dire Charmed, Presio targets her own undead skeleton warrior for Disintegrate. I'd hate to have that cast on my own guys.

I have never more wished for Rhialto's Spellbook and the Dispel Magic I can cast with it. I try to reach for one on the fly and, well, you know how it goes.

BWP20150222203726.jpg

No, wait, it works!

BWP20150222203919.jpg

I direct my new minions to go deeper into the room, while I regroup my actual group. Eventually, Presio is revealed.

BWP20150222204056.jpg

I throw another random spell at her, but the Weave is fickle and favors the injured mage.

BWP20150222204153.jpg

A raw skein of magic flies towards me, and I brace for impact. But it embraces me in its protective aura. OH! Presio had Spell Turning on! The Weave cast at her to give back to me! OOOOhhhh, the Weave actually favors me!

BWP20150222204340.jpg

BWP20150222204634.jpg

Accalia manages to take her out.

BWP20150222204708.jpg

It's a little difficult sorting out friend from foe after that, but we manage.

BWP20150222205040.jpg

There are a lot of unusual items on Presio and her bodyguard. For instance, he has Arrows of Healing, a Helm of Brilliance, and a two-handed sword that I cannot identify.

Arrows-of-Healing.jpg

Helm-of-Brilliance.jpg

Presio herself had a robe and dagger that I cannot yet identify, plus a staff. It is the Staff of Super Power.

Staff-of-Super-Power.jpg

Well, I can finally put away this scrub-level bow and scrub-level sword. I finally have a staff of (super) Power.

I give Imoen the Arrows of Healing, the Helm of Brilliance goes to Hrothgar, and I save the other magical items for when I can identify them.

I ask Imoen to go over and check out the corner to see if there's anything interesting. She says she might see a trap, or two.

BWP20150222235131.jpg

After she clears out the traps, we find some gold, gems, potions, some Bracers of Defense AC 3, some mage scrolls, and a bottle of wine. Awesome! The bracers give me some great protection.

BWP20150223003603.jpg

We also find Presio's War Journal.

Presios-War-Journal.jpg

Well, that's interesting. No mention of me. I guess I'm just an unknown variable messing up everybody's plans. Time travelers will do that to you.

#1387 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

Hrothgar beings to wax poetic about this mountain we're in.

BWP20150223004004.jpg

No one responds, but we all do grip our weapons more tightly. And I think we should play this conservatively. We should rest and regain our spells before continuing.

BWPSS20120623121.jpeg

Presio's room turns out to be a suitable resting place.

BWP20150223011404.jpg

That means we can identify these other items! They are Presio's Dagger, a Necromancer's Robe, and the two-handed sword called Pikeman's End.

Presios-Dagger.jpg

I give this to Imoen, letting her choose which to use at which time.

Necromancers-Robe.jpg

This is slightly better than 40% cold resistance, so I put it on instead.

Pikemans-End.jpg

... Shar-Teel would have liked this. Too bad, I guess.

We move north. Imoen finds some traps, so she goes ahead to disarm them. So she is the first to see Presio's apprentice.

BWP20150223012056.jpg

She retreats but brings a skeleton warrior back with her. Thankfully, one strike from Hrothgar's returning throwing axe takes it out.

BWP20150223020648.jpg

Then Presio's apprentice teleports right in beside Imoen while invisible. What is she doing?

BWP20150223020755.jpg

She starts trying to cast a spell, but whatever it is she was trying to pull off we will never know, because everybody beats her to death before she can get it off.

BWP20150223020946.jpg

We all go after the remaining skeletal warrior when a super-fast fledgling vampire rushes at us!

BWP20150223021112.jpg

We focus fire it. It tries to push everyone away with a spell I thought was unique to myself... but whatever.

BWP20150223021233.jpg

We manage to take it out before anyone is drained of vital fluids.

BWP20150223021313.jpg

The rest of the fight isn't important.

Gameplay Note: This is the second time I fought this apprentice. The first time she summoned a demon who started summoning ghasts and I was overwhelmed. This time she died like a chump. Weird.

Imoen finds a few more traps in our path.

BWP20150223021901.jpg

And we finally enter some unmarked door.

BWP20150223021950.jpg

Past the doors and down some stairs, this place looks a lot more civilized than the caverns above. I hope they have amenities!

BWP20150223022049.jpg

Yeah, like a roaring fireplace!

BWP20150223022141.jpg

And... a greeting service!

BWP20150223022224.jpg

albion.jpg My name is Albion. I am the Exalted Keeper of this Eldathyn retreat. I am sorry if I startled you. My students and I would never have expected... how did you make it down here?

BRKVQ.jpg You and your students have just been sitting down here under a tribe of lizard men, a few packs of trolls and a legion of undead? How'd you pull that off?

albion.jpg Our non-violent nature protects us from the raw aggression of our... less intelligent cousins. The lizard men and trolls leave us alone as long as we don't venture too far into the caves above.

BRKVQ.jpg Interesting. Do you know anything about the Heartstone Gem?

albion.jpg The Heartstone Gem? It's a sacred artifact of Silvanus, isn't it? I heard that it used to rest in Kuldahar, but that it was lost long ago. Other than that, I don't know much about it.

BRKVQ.jpg I must be going now. Farewell, priest.

albion.jpg Very well. If you have need of our beds, you may rest here. Our healer, Sharra, is located to the east. May Eldath and her peace watch over you.

Alright! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Hospitality in the bowels of the volcano!

We waltz right in and start talking to passers by as if we belonged here.

BWP20150223022807.jpg

Sharra is nice to us and everything!

BWP20150223022855.jpg

sharra.jpg The Heartstone Gem? No, I'm sorry. I've never even heard of it. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

BRKVQ.jpg Strange abductions and sightings of monsters have been occurring near Kuldahar. Do you know anything about them?

sharra.jpg We live a secluded life here in these caverns. I don't get out very much. It's difficult with all of the evil going on above us.

BRKVQ.jpg Could I rest here?

She shows us good beds, and we sleep a restful sleep.

Injbg.jpg

The next morning, we talk to more people who live in this level of the volcano.

BWP20150223023225.jpg

We even find a library!

BWP20150223023409.jpg

geelo.jpg Certainly. You may browse through any of the books here. However, the library through the door to the north is restricted to members of our community. Is there anything else I can help you with?

BRKVQ.jpg Do you have any magical texts?

geelo.jpg Yes, I do have a few scrolls that I might be willing to part with.

BRKVQ.jpg Please show me what you have.

I've never seen such a small magical store before in my life. The man literally has only Dispel Magic, Flame Arrow, Hold Person, Skull Trap, Fireball, and Lightning Bolt. How sad!

I really want to find out what's up with the secret library.

BRKVQ.jpg People have been disappearing from Kuldahar. Do you know anything about it?

geelo.jpg We don't get out of the sanctuary very often, so we don't konw much about what goes on outside of Dragon's Eye.

BRKVQ.jpg The abductions might be linked to the theft of an artifact from Kuldahar called the Heartstone Gem. Do you know of it?

geelo.jpg I know something about it. I know that it is an artifact of Silvanus, and that it was taken from Kuldahar long ago. Other than that, I know nothing. Can I help you with anything else?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg No, but I think Albion said that he wanted to talk to you about something. I might have misunderstood him, but I think that's what he said?

What? Imoen, thats not...

geelo.jpg Oh! Hmm... well then, I should see what he needs.

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell.

Then he leaves out the door. Wow, good thinking Imoen!

BWP20150223024340.jpg

I close the door behind Geelo, and Imoen gets to work on the secret library door.

BWP20150223024417.jpg

Once inside, she finds a few potions, a few low-level spell scrolls, and an unusual selection of library books. We never studied those in Candlekeep!

BWP20150223024520.jpg

One of the books that won't be missed is a book on Secret Societies.

BWP20150223024645.jpg

I wonder as I walk out of the room... so are they interested in secret societies or ARE they a secret society or SNAKEMEN!

BWP20150223024737.jpg

Heh, that seems to be as good a place to stop as any!

So, who should get the Manual of Weapon Expertise? A permanent +3 thac0 and +3 damage is like having a perment +3 enchantment to any weapon you pick up. That ain't shabby! You can name anyone, and also vote to keep it until we find a suitable candidate. Naming someone not in the party of course equals keeping it for later.

#1388 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

BWP20150422234617.jpg

28 Mirtul, 1281

Snakemen!

BWP20150422234749.jpg

Snakemen casting spells!

In my absolute shock and haste, I am not thinking clearly. I just throw the first magic at these spellcasting snakemen that I can think of...

BWP20150422234838.jpg

No demon comes, so I guess that wasn't correct casting? or, well, who knows?! Hrothgar pulls a fast one with his new Helm of Brilliance.

BWP20150422235424.jpg

Gameplay note: Apparently that's in his AI script. Nice.

After they are dead, we find a key on Albion's snakey corpse.

BWP20150422235547.jpg

Great! I saved the rest of these nice people from a horrible snakeman invasion! They're going to view me as a her....oh.

BWP20150422235642.jpg

They're all snakemen here.

BWP20150422235914.jpg

With just two or three in each room, I think we have this covered. But around a corner in the back we get ambushed!

BWP20150423000224.jpg

I let the Weave do as it wills.

BWP20150423000352.jpg

The cows begin to fall like large, meaty rain.

BWP20150423000509.jpg

Gameplay note: Two cows on the screen at once! But there were a total of 3 that fell from the sky.

I cast another random spell, and now I worry that the Weave wants to kill the rest of my companions.

BWP20150423000701.jpg

Imoen manages to make it out...

BWP20150423001000.jpg

but Accalia and Hrothgar do not. Dar seems to be almost unaffected.

When the smoke clears, a seriously injured Dar stands surrounded by a small hill of snakemen corpses.

BWP20150423001327.jpg

Did he seriously just outlast the Death Fog? He did. He seriously just stood there and outlasted the Death Fog. Granted, he was slowed and afraid, but still.

Suddenly, from out of the shadows slithers the High Ritualist!

BWP20150423001520.jpg

Dar fades back, and then takes him out.

BWP20150423001618.jpg

A mere moment later, I feel a prickling in my skin, as if my cells are suddenly filled with too much time.

BWP20150423001635.jpg

What was that?

Anyways, there's some sort of snakeman statue here with treasure!

BWP20150423002034.jpg

We go south and see, human bodies! Human bodies on tables!

BWP20150423002205.jpg

These snakemen were eating people! Green people!

There's more treasure in a side room.

BWP20150423002316.jpg

There's a Wand of the Heavens and a Cloak of Protection +2. I give them both to Dar, for now, but perhaps Accalia would like them better after she is raised.

We find more snakemen, and we do our thing.

BWP20150423002640.jpg

We retreat back through the door and line up the perfect random spell!

BWP20150423002944.jpg

After that we retreat back up the stairway we used to get here, rest, and resurrect our buddies. We also identify our loot.

The unidentifiable oil turns out to be Oil of the Serpent's Scales.

Oil-of-the-Serpents-Scales.jpg

There are three of those - one for each tank!

We also found a +3 longsword. Nothing really special about it.

Then we go back and continue to clean up snakemen. Only, two of the men we find are the normal kind.

BWP20150423012806.jpg

They're still hostile though. I melt one and we beat down the other.

BWP20150423022142.jpg

They are both wearing Full Plate Mail +1, and one has a Varscona blade. The other has the Warblade +3.

Warblade-+3.jpg

Shar-Teel would have loved this sword...

Finally, one of them was carrying a Stone of Good Luck.

Stone-of-Good-Luck.jpg

I give it to Imoen. She can definitely use it.

I go to explore the rest of the central room and, unfortunately, there's a third knight!

BWP20150423022724.jpg

She hits me with her flaming sword, and I put her in a resilient sphere!

BWP20150423022803.jpg

That gives me time to get everyone in position.

BWP20150423022857.jpg

She drops and has a Dwarven Large Shield +2, a flaming sword, and some measly plate mail +1.

BWP20150423023128.jpg

Were these paladins or something? Why did they attack us? Surely they didn't think WE were snakemen, did they?

We find another snakeman altar and it contains a Blur Deck.

Blur-Deck.jpg

I give them to Accalia. She needs all the help she can get. I also try to give her the Cloak of Protection +2, but she can't use it. So I leave it on Dar.

Then we go searching for further victims. We find The High Summoner deep in the rooms.

BWP20150423023625.jpg

We figure out why he's called The High Summoner when he starts throwing fire elementals at us.

BWP20150423024030.jpg

We employ a solid strategy of running away and sleeping. That always takes care of summons. Then we come back and find ourselves... confused.

BWP20150423024931.jpg

How did one spellcaster cast so many spells in the blink of an eye?

BWP20150423025039.jpg

Unlike last time, this time he summons a lot of dryads.

BWP20150423025206.jpg

After a strange and confusing fight, he is eventually defeated.

BWP20150423025812.jpg

And, finally, in the southeastern corner of this underground lair, we find a very snakey door leading... down.

BWP20150423030626.jpg

We decide to stop and rest here. As we make a makeshift camp, I decide to read this book that I've got on me.

BWP20150423030707.jpg

Gameplay note: My Base THAC0 before reading the book is 17. And with various bonuses, I get a 13 to hit against chainmail armor 0. After reading the book, that goes down.

BWP20150423030729.jpg

#1389 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

BWP20150603204835.jpg

29 Mirtul, 1281

I'm beginning to feel as though snakes are a theme in this place.

BWP20150603205155.jpg

When they find a giant set of double doors flanked by snake statues and leading down into darkness, what would a normal person do? I don't think I even know anymore. I, of course, direct the entire party to tromp down the stairs, prepared to slay more men-turned-snakes; to slay them all before the day is out.

At the bottom of the stairway we find... a little girl? Of course we do.

BWP20150603205345.jpg

But she doesn't respond, only teleports away.

BWP20150603205420.jpg

I like her style. She's definitely not a little girl though. Tiny hands can't stretch far apart enough to reach the first and seventh conjuration forms simultaneously. I think they designed it that way on purpose.

We hear ominous intonations around the corner as we see the slithering shape of another snakeman sneak silently out of the shadows.

BWP20150603205831.jpg

Two more, actually. They really cut into our side. The melee fighters barely escape. When they die, I realize that they are wielding these!

Two-Handed-Sword-+3.jpg

No wonder they were so tough.

Accalia and Imoen seem to be discussing the finest details of battle together. When they are done, they both look more confident.

BWP20150603224549.jpg

BWP20150603224606.jpg

BWP20150603224614.jpg

BWP20150603224752.jpg

BWP20150603224832.jpg

BWP20150603224856.jpg

I'm so proud of Imoen. She has worked so hard on her arcane studies. I feel as though I almost have nothing left to teach her anymore.

Gameplay note: Imoen is the same mage level now as me! And Accalia... Accalia has gained level 6 cleric spells.

BWP20150603225101.jpg

Gameplay note: This is significant. Accalia is now the greatest divine spellcaster we have ever seen in our entire lives. She's got access to magic undreamed of in the entirety of Baldur's Gate 1, and only one cleric spell level shy of maximum carnage. The first spell she has just learned is Aerial Servant.

Aerial-Servant.jpg

Gameplay note: This servant lasts for a long time, and is really quite effective in battle. I remember casting this spell before a fight and having the servant stick around for the entire map. Since we are down one melee fighter this may be a good choice. But the second spell is also a divinity staple: Blade Barrier.

Blade-Barrier.jpg

Gameplay note: This is tricky in combat, because the blades hurt your allies too. Best to cast this when you're alone. And you're not going to be alone when you cast the next spell: Conjure Animals.

Conjure-Animals0.jpg

Gameplay note: I don't remember casting this spell much. I assume the bears are quality specimens? We'll have to test it out. Also we should test out the next spell: Entropy Shield.

Entropy-Shield0.jpg

Gameplay note: Oh man she definitely needs this one. This may turn her into the best tank ever. But it only lasts 1 round per level, so 11 rounds now. Good enough for one fight only. Then, of course, she gets Harm.

Harm0.jpg

Gameplay note: 11d6 is a maximum of 66 hit points at this level. Not too bad. It is the opposite of Heal.

Heal3.jpg

Gameplay note: The best in-combat spell for healing. And then she gets something that I did not expect. Wondrous Recall.

Wondrous-Recall0.jpg

Gameply note: This is usually a wizard spell. But hey, I'm not complaining. I would use it, except the other spells at this level are also so awesome. In fact I think I'm going to memorize Aerial Servant right now.

We leave, camp, come back, and the little girl greets us again.

BWP20150603230621.jpg

And of course once again she doesn't answer us.

We go forward, and find a strange staircase beyond a doorway.

BWP20150603230916.jpg

Inside the door closes and the area fills with gas!

BWP20150603231016.jpg

Imoen has to fiddle with the door a bit, but eventually we get out.

BWP20150603231056.jpg

In that room, we kill another magical-sword-wielding Yuan-ti, and find the treasure room! Woot!

BWP20150603231539.jpg

We find a cursed scroll, some gems and gold, a potion of fire resistance, and the Sensate Amulet.

BWP20150603231745.jpg

Between our two clerics, Accalia has the fewer hit points, so I give it to her.

I wonder if I'll ever make it to the city of Sigil? Sounds like an interesting place. A place one could get lost in, losing their name in a sea of endless life...

I am interrupted by an explosion!

BWP20150603232054.jpg

We brute force our way through the arrows and kill the guy. We end up with 16 arrows of detonation, A +3 composite long bow, and another Warblade.

There are also lots of arrows and coins in the cushions. I guess whoever lived here liked arrows and money and hated cleaning?

BWP20150603232519.jpg

We move on, and are met once again by the fake little girl.

BWP20150603232806.jpg

I don't got it.

We find a lot of weird undead abominations.

BWP20150603233321.jpg

A secret room we find leads us to the high torturer.

BWP20150603234314.jpg

high_torturer.jpg Student or patient... it's a simple question.

BRKVQ.jpg For what purpose?

high_torturer.jpg Need you ask?

BRKVQ.jpg Of course not. I'm a student.

high_torturer.jpg Excellent! Yxunomei finally listened to my requests. Now, children, if you are to become truly cultured in our society, you must learn the fine vocation that I learned over a thousand years ago. It is the most graceful, demanding art that our society has produced.

BRKVQ.jpg And what, exactly, is this art?

high_torturer.jpg Torture, of course. It is the method by which our people have gathered information for thousands of years. When purebloods like you are few or ineffective, we must rely on much more direct means for learning about our foes.

BRKVQ.jpg Sure... I guess.

high_torturer.jpg Wait... wait.. something about you doesn't seem right... Impostors! Impostors! Damn my eyes for failing me!

Well, that's that then? He dies without fanfare.

#1390 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:03 PM

He is carrying a magical ring, but we find out that it is cursed.

Ring-of-Pain-Amplification.jpg

What's a Lovitarian? Further progress into this complex gives us another glimpe of the child.

BWP20150603235332.jpg

In a central chamber we see a lot of snakes and a lot of treasure.

BWP20150603235847.jpg

A wand of fire, some arrows of detonation, a Tome of Clear Thought (+1 INT), a studded leather armor +2, and a Girdle of Giant Strength.

Girdle-of-Giant-Strength.jpg

Gameplay note: The belt lowers the THAC0 of both Hrothar and Dar by 1. It doesn't affect Accalia. Since Dar's got the highest (and therefore worst) number, he gets the belt.

I find the book to be completely fascinating. I read it all immediately.

BWP20150604000351.jpg

BWP20150604000422.jpg

BWP20150604000433.jpg

It allows me to do something really smart in my next combat.

BWP20150604001018.jpg

We carve our way through hordes of histachii, a tedious and yet dangerous task. When we get through all of them, someone starts yelling at us.

BWP20150604001924.jpg

The fireballs from my wand of fire fly hard and fast.

BWP20150604002305.jpg

But we are low on healing, low on magic, and low on patience. We decide to retreat and come back again after resting.

I find myself mixed up with 3 snake mages, a teleport field, and a bunch of summoned creatures. Cut off from the rest of the party, I encase myself in Otiluke's Resilient Sphere to wait it out.

BWP20150607030540.jpg

It is very hard for me to push the ball around, but I do so slowly.

BWP20150607030811.jpg

The ebb and flow of battle ends up with me back behind my meat shield friends, although they are stunned. The Weave gives me an earth elemental!

BWP20150607031421.jpg

And not the tiny kind that Imoen summons, but two big bruisers with minds of their own! I struggle to control them.

BWP20150607031521.jpg

When I do manage to control them with my mind, they make short work of the yuan-ti mages.

BWP20150607031810.jpg

They are also instrumental in taking out the rest of the histachii near the High Baptist.

BWP20150607032155.jpg

The battle ends with only Dar dead.

BWP20150607032611.jpg

We raise him and go rest again.

The axe we have been carrying around for a while waiting to be identified is a throwing axe +2, and the priest dropped the bow Messenger of Sseth.

Throwing-Axe-+2.jpg

Messenger-of-Sseth.jpg

I decide to sell this bow and axe later.

North of where the mages were we find a gruesome kitchen, with people's corpses hung up like meat to be eaten!

BWP20150607033136.jpg

We find another stash room behind the kitchen.

BWP20150607033855.jpg

We find a flaming long sword, some Baleful Mail, and more gold.

Baleful-Mail.jpg

Accalia can use it. Although it doesn't give her any more physical protection, it does give her mental protection.

Then, there is only one door left to open down here. We begin to walk towards it, but after a moment Imoen shouts out warning.

BWP20150607033934.jpg

After taking care of all the traps, she summons in a few ogres, and Accalia her Aerial Servant. Then Accalia casts Defensive Harmony on us all.

BWP20150607034130.jpg

We are ready for whatever lies behind this final door.

Of course it turns out to be the little girl.

BWP20150607034258.jpg

BRKVQ.jpg I came here because I know you're the one responsible for everything going on in the pass. The abductions. The strange weather. The undead in the vale. The avalanche. You're behind it all.

ominous-little-girl.jpg You do not know what you are talking about. Your attempts to comprehend the events unfolding around you are comical at best.

BRKVQ.jpg Then why do you need the Heartstone Gem?

ominous-little-girl.jpg My interest in the Heartstone Gem is personal. I have been waging a war for quite some time.

ominous-little-girl.jpg This world is simply another battlefield. The gem is one of several instruments I use to fight my battles.

BRKVQ.jpg So... what is this battle all about, anyway?

ominous-little-girl.jpg It is a war of principles. It is a campaign waged on behalf of fundamental truths, oceans of belief wearing away at basalt pillars of understanding that have held up the simple religions and philosophies of worlds like this for millennia.

BRKVQ.jpg Of what principles are you speaking?

ominous-little-girl.jpg Freedom and order. On the surface, one of your kind believes that these two principles can co-exist without conflict.

ominous-little-girl.jpg When one scratches the surface, your skin bleeds philosophy. When one gnaws down to the bone, one finds me.

BRKVQ.jpg Okay. What does that have to do with the Heartstone Gem?

ominous-little-girl.jpg The Gem is an item with incredible powers of divination. Only those with special relationships with the natural or supernatural may use it.

ominous-little-girl.jpg It gives sight beyond sight, even penetrating physical and magical barriers in its revelations. I am not using it to cover up my affairs. I am using it for personal reasons.

BRKVQ.jpg There's a problem. The gem could help us provide warmth for Kuldahar and prevent the cold from killing everyone in the town. The people of that town ned the gem more than you do.

ominous-little-girl.jpg You cannot have it. It is mine. When I am finished with it, my faithful servants will have it.

ominous-little-girl.jpg If they fail in their plans, simply take it from them. I have little patience when it comes to... incompetence.

BRKVQ.jpg You're really starting to annoy me. Hand over the gem or there'll be trouble.

ominous-little-girl.jpg You have just destroyed a good portion of my army and are now demanding that I hand over more resources to you. I believe I will be doing the taking now. Pray that your souls are prepared.

#1391 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

Then the little girl suddenly doesn't look so little anymore.

BWP20150607035422.jpg

She resists a lot of magic.

BWP20150607035541.jpg

But she doesn't resist the mob of angry monsters and divine casters that quickly surround her.

BWP20150607035853.jpg

And she definitely doesn't resist my chaos daggers.

BWP20150607035933.jpg

Hrothgar is shocked at this turn of events.

BWP20150607040002.jpg

The Heartstone Gem. We finally have it.

BWP20150607040040.jpg

We also find a Ring of Acuity.

Ring-of-Acuity.jpg

Finally, my spellcasting is boosted a bit again! Nothing like before, but you know, still...

The Marilith was also wielding two scimitars, both of them the Water's Edge.

Waters-Edge-+3.jpg

In the chests lining the room, we find Translocation Arrows!

Translocation-Arrows.jpg

We also find a helmet I recognize as Dead Man's Face.

Dead-Mans-Face.jpg

... and lots of skulls. Eww.

BWP20150607040545.jpg

I give it to Accalia.

BWP20150607040935.jpg

Wow. Okay. Mission accomplished! Great for us! We killed a demon and got the Heartstone Gem! Maybe I can finally get out of this forsaken wasteland and down south so I can warn Gorion against getting killed!

I take one last look around before I go.

BWP20150607041041.jpg

We're outta here.

BWP20150607041343.jpg

#1392 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:04 PM

BWP20150614231946.jpg

1 Kythorn, 1281

Well, we've done it. We got the Heartstone Gem! Now we just have to return to Kuldahar like heroes and be on our way!

So, after a good night's camp, we do just that. Then we get on the road early, cuz that's what heroes do, and stroll into Kuldahar just in time to see it... overrun by orogs?!

BWP20150614232420.jpg

We fight through them as fast as we can, but still we hear the background sounds of dying townspersons.

BWP20150614232606.jpg

We follow the coinpile trail to see where the orogs have gone.

BWP20150614232726.jpg

We kill every orog that we can find, and also see some unmolested townspeople! yes!

BWP20150614233034.jpg

But still we find more orogs scattered about.

BWP20150614233255.jpg

But what we really need, beyond anything else, is a place to sell weapons!

BWP20150614233837.jpg

Even before unloading anything, with the gold that we just have on us, I'm able to buy an ammo belt and a potion bag.

BWP20150614234044.jpg

BWP20150614234103.jpg

Then we unload everything from the bag of holding. All the masterwork halberds, all the robes of cold resistance, all the magical two-handed swords, everything.

Then we count up all our gold.

BWP20150614235419.jpg

52,860! Wow! Ok, I know exactly what I want to buy.

I go straight to Oswald Fiddlebender's crashed airship.

BWP20150614235552.jpg

BWP20150614235619.jpg

BWP20150614235645.jpg

Awww sweet yeah! I'm really going to get into reading this. But, actually... perhaps Imoen should? Her mental capacity is the only way in which she does not yet match up to me as a mage. I'll have to think about it.

And I also show up at the wizard's tower to get a sweet robe off of him.

BWP20150614235913.jpg

BWP20150615000209.jpg

It was only 22,400 gold! I feel like a true mage again.

BWP20150615000530.jpg

pimpin.jpg

I like the hood.

I also pick up Summon Djinni and Simbul's Spell Sequencer, two of the more expensive spells that he has that we don't know. Summon Djinni for me, and Simbul's Spell Sequencer for Imoen.

Except... I don't know what happens. I somehow... fail to copy the spell correctly? Is this possible? There must be some mistake!

Sheepishly, I leave the mage tower. Time to give the Heartstone Gem to Arundel!

BWP20150615002102.jpg

arundel.jpg I must ask you... have you found the source of evil in Dragon's Eye?

BRKVQ.jpg Perhaps. A strange "woman" named Yxunomei was raising an army of trolls, lizard men, yuan-ti, and undead. I defeated her and many of her minions.

arundel.jpg Excellent. Thank you for destroying my ancient enemy. I couldn't have planned this better myself.

BRKVQ.jpg "Ancient enemy?" What are you talking about?

arundel.jpg I am sure Yxunomei must have explained this to you. She and I have been foes for centuries. Thanks to you, the vendetta has ended. Now you may travel back to your future.

BRKVQ.jpg W-What? I don't believe you! You are not Arundel! How did you manage to haul me out of my time?

arundel.jpg Arundel is bleeding out his life upstairs. Now I can begin to build my own forces in this world without fear.. There is a portal in his room you may use to return to your world. Other things are not so important for you. You may not stay here even if you wish to take your revenge over me. You must solve your parentage problem as soon as possible... By the way, you shouldn't be upset. You destroyed great evil forces here. Farewell, Syvishtar.

Then, he simply casts Dimension Door and disappears!

BWP20150615002639.jpg

What? His own forces? Portal home? Am I, should I be, conflicted? I should go upstairs.

BWP20150615002802.jpg

arundel.jpg A man, but not a man... he wore my skin like a cloak, my face like a mask... he came suddenly in the night, and struck me down...

arundel.jpg Nature itself seemed to recoil from him - even with the strength of the Great Oak bolstering me, I was unable to stop him. He touched me once, his hands as blood, and I felt my life begin to drain away.

BRKVQ.jpg Arundel, hold on - we still may be able to help y--

arundel.jpg (*Voice strengthens, becomes steadier.*)... No, only the hope you would return has kept my body alive. You... you must take the Heartstone Gem to... the elven fortress of the Severed Hand.

BRKVQ.jpg Severed Hand? But why?

arundel.jpg The Severed Hand is the prison of Larrel, one of the last of the elven archmages... he is the only one left who can u the Heartstone Gem... if he still lives...

BRKVQ.jpg But the Severed Hand... I've never heard of it - where can I find it?

arundel.jpg It is to the south - nature will guide you... (*a little quieter, a little weaker*).. enough of my power remains that I may do that. Now... I must go... Take it. Serve the balance. Protect Kuldahar from this evil.. (*One final burst of strength, enough to keep his oice steady*)... Hrothgar, my friend, I know you are looking for the key... Tilorn was here...

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell, Arundel. We will see you avenged.

arundel.jpg Do what you must...

Gameplay note: At this point there was a bug. Hrothgar started talking about killing the marilith. I had to search around to see what was supposed to happen next. Then I discovered that Hrothgar spoke the correct dialog if I force-talked him.

BWP20150615012513.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg I ask one thing of you all. Please spare a moment and reflect on the words of Arundel and the promise you made to take the heartstone gem to Larrel at the Severed Hand.

Hrothgar.jpeg Arundel struggled against the pain of his injuries to remain aive so he could tell us what he knew in the hope that we would continue our mission to save Kuldahar and maybe even Easthaven. Are we going to let all he suffered be for nothing?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg I didn't make any such promise! I just want to go home and forget this whole nightmare... please Syvishtar.. let's go home?

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Putting his hand on her shoulder*) Imoen... you have the word of Hrothgar, you will go home, soon. Believe me when I say your future is not here and a couple of more day either here or there will not make a difference to what is to come. Please, trust me?

Imoen-bg2.jpeg (*Shrugging his hand off her shoulder*) I don't know you Hrothgar, nor do I like this place. It's gold and I don't care much for the snow any more, there's too much of it... it makes the sun hurt my eyes!

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Also, I don't care where this portal leads as long as it is away from here. Please Syvishtar... can't we leave now before this portal disappears?

Dar.jpeg It is my place to follow wherever I feel I best serve Ilmater. I owe Syvishtar my life and as such have pledged my allegiance to his cause. Dar does not go back on his word once it is given, he will let him choose the road that we next take.

XhduJ.jpg You have no need to ask where my duty lies Hrothgar, regardless of what everyone else here decides, you can rely on my support. Tempus has set me on the path to battle this evil and his will shall be done, whatever the cost to myself.

Hrothgar.jpeg So my friend, I believe our next stp together as a group and maybe the fate of Kuldahar lies in your hands.

Gameplay note: Ok, lets call it here, because we have some bug problems to work through or avoid. Something is wrong with the dialog triggers here - I was only able to get the last 3 lines from Dar, Accalia and Hrothgar via looking at the dialog files out of game. They didn't trigger in-game. What is supposed to happen now is that we have 5 options talking about the futility of going through events that have already happened vs. the importance of going back to our normal time now. We already know Imoen's stance. But the other problem is that if I can't get the dialog to work, we'll have to brute-force our way through the rest of the mod by teleporting to different maps and hoping everything holds together, script-wise. So the choice is this:

A. Lets see this through. Teleport your elven ass to the Severed Hand and lets kill more undead until we save Kuldahar!
B. Screw Kuldahar, Screw Hrothgar, and screw this mod. We have Irenicus to deal with 200 years in the future, and time she is awastin'. Let's blow this popsicle tree and head back to the future... err... present!
C. I have the solution. I know just how to trigger Hrothgar's dialog in order to advance the mod. What you should do is... (a correct answer here counts as 100 votes)

Oh, also, who should get the +INT tome?

#1393 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:39 AM

BWP20150620024409.jpg

1 Kythorn, 1281

We all stand in awkward silence around the quickly-cooling body of Arundel.

BWP20150619213526.jpg

Eventually I decide to look around to see what the problem is and realize that Hrothgar is giving Dar the side-eye. Does he... should I tell Dar to give us a moment? Does he not trust the half-orc?

Eh, what can it hurt?

BWP20150619213401.jpg

BWP20150619213614.jpg

He doesn't object. It makes Hrothgar much more comfortable, though. I talk to him again and tell him to go ahead.

BWP20150619205142.jpg

Gameplay note: Haha, one of these objections sounds like it came from this very thread!

BRKVQ.jpg If this portal takes us back to the future, my time as you put it, then these events will have ocurred and passed. I see no sense in us remaining here to repeat them.

Hrothgar.jpeg You can not possibly know what has now occurred and passed in your time. None of us can... not now.

Hrothgar.jpeg Your being here could have very easily set these events in motion again, and if that is so then we must see them through in order to keep the future, yours and all those living there now, constant. Surely you can see the sense in my words?

BRKVQ.jpg My life hasn't actually been a bed of roses since leaving Candlekeep. The possibility of change might just appeal to me.

Hrothgar.jpeg Whatever does or does not occur here will in no way affect a change to your life, Syvishtar, that is set and must be allowed to play out. It is those that now live in what you know as the future that will feel the effects of these events. They are the ones that I fear for.

Hrothgar.jpeg I believe the way to safeguard the future and prevent further troubles is for us to continue to the Severed Hand, play the hand that has been dealt us, all of us. The past must be preserved for the sake of the future.

BRKVQ.jpg We started this mission to save Kuldahar, and now you speak of preserving the future. What is really going on here?

Hrothgar.jpeg The two became connected the minute you stepped through the portal and into Easthaven, Syvishtar. I cannot explain how. All that I can ask is that you trust me enough to continue on this mission a little further with me.

BRKVQ.jpg You ask me to give up maybe my only hope of getting home merely by saying "trust me?" I'll need a better reason than that if I am to aid you further.

Hrothgar.jpeg There is no more that I can tell you at this present time.

Hrothgar.jpeg When the need arises, you have my word that I will answer all of your questions, but until then I beseech you to please bear with my necessary silence for a while longer. Trust me and know that my only concern is for the future... yours and that which is yet to come.

BRKVQ.jpg If I agree to aid you, will you then trust me with more of what you know, Hrothgar?

Hrothgar.jpeg This time is in need of you to aid me in protecting my people and the people of Kuldahar from this evil that has arisen.

Hrothgar.jpeg However, your path is not of this time, Syvishtar, and as such you have the word of Hrothgar that you will find your portal home. I can neither say nor promise you any more than that.

BRKVQ.jpg If I agree to aid you further Hrothgar, how are we to find our way to Larrel and the Severed Hand?

Hrothgar.jpeg Be assured, I know of a way to deliver us safely to the Severed Hand. All you have to say is that you agree to help me and we can be on our way without further delay. But please, I must press you for your answer now... the more we delay the more our enemy gains the advantage over us.

BRKVQ.jpg Then lead us to this safe path of yours, Hrothgar, and let us set about changing the odds a little more to our advantage.

Hrothgar.jpeg I am relieved to see that my faith in you has not been misplaced. Thank you for trusting me.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Nobody ever listens to what I want to do and now it looks like Syvishtar is going to help Hrothgar after all!

Imoen-bg2.jpeg It's not fair, 'cause now it means that I am going to have to stay here and make sure we all stay on the straight and narrow. I only wish the straight and narrow wasn't so deep in snow.

Hrothgar.jpeg I thank all of you. I know not whether it is because you follow Syvishtar that you are aiding me, or whether you trust and believe the word of Hrothgar. But whatever your reasons, know that I speak only the truth and that you will find your path home. Ready yourselves, for we travel to the Severed Hand.

BWP20150619211538.jpg

Gameplay note: What the flip! We had to kick Dar out to have that conversation and then we don't have any option to add him back into the party. Now we are four.

I guess Hrothgar really didn't trust Dar. Maybe he was still bothered by Dar's god burning a Shar-Teel-size scorch mark into the bedrock?

I look around. We have teleported to in front of a rather impressive fortress. And before my very eyes, the ghostly form of some tortured soul walks towards us, shouting something about dwarves.

BWP20150619211815.jpg

BWP20150619211819.jpg

BWP20150619211823.jpg

BWP20150619211827.jpg

BWP20150620024827.jpg

BWP20150619211842.jpg

Uhhhhhhh....

BWP20150619214347.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Hrothgar seems to be preoccupied*) As promised, w... we...

BRKVQ.jpg No more secrets Hrothgar! No ordinary man could have done what you just did! What manner of man are you?

Hrothgar.jpeg I am sorry, I did not mean to alarm you.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg Wow... that was some move, Hrothgar! Uh... care to tell us how you did it?

XhduJ.jpg Hrothgar is an honorable man. I do not believe him capable of evil. Tempus would not have me accompany him in this great battle if it were so.

XhduJ.jpg I am sure his reasons for his silence are well founded. Please, think before you make any rash judgments. If he meant to do you harm, then you would not have been delivered here safely.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg I thought we were helping you Hrothgar? Is there really some evil here that you are working with, or are you doing this for Irenicus? Is... is he here somewhere even now laughing at our foolishness in trusting you? Hrothgar, tell me... is he here waiting to torture us some more?

Hrothgar.jpeg I should have warned you before teleporting, but I was anxious not to lose any more time, and I had to be sure that we would all arrive safely. It will, I am sure, take all our resources to bring down this evil that we face.

But not Dar, eh? I see how it is.

Hrothgar.jpeg Our adversary has managed to keep one step ahead of our every move, and I was concerned that we should reach Larrel before our path became blocked.

Hrothgar.jpeg You have no need to fear betrayal from me, I have given you my word on this. But come, we should not be wasting time standing around here. We must enter the tower and look for Larrel as Arundel bid us do.

BRKVQ.jpg I want an explanation of what has just occurred here and I don't want to hear any more vague answers! It's time for YOU to show ME some trust.

Hrothgar.jpeg I am sorry, I am not being vague without good reason. Those reasons will become known to you in time. For now, all I ask is that you ask yourself, apart from my silence, and our sudden appearance here, have I given you any cause to mistrust me or to feel that I wish you harm, Syvishtar?

Hrothgar.jpeg If your answer is no, then please trust me and let us enter the tower together. We must begin our search without further delay.

BRKVQ.jpg Your reluctance to speak worries me greatly, Hrothgar. But as I have seen no sign of malice in either your actions or your words, I will continue as we are. Come, let us enter the tower together and find our answers.

Hrothgar.jpeg The only thing I am looking to do harm to is the evil which threatens innocent townsfolk. I have no intentions of allowing any ill to befall you or your friends, Syvishtar.

Hrothgar.jpeg Once we have our answers, hopefully a way will be found for you to continue your journey in your own time. Come, no more talk. We have much to do before this day ends.

#1394 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

Things have gotten extremely complex, and very confusing. I feel as though there's something just out of my mind's reach. I need more mind-power!

BWP20150620025438.jpg

Maybe this book has something in it that I can use.

BWP20150620025531.jpg

Oh, so the discrete Fourier transform of a real valued signal is conjugate symmetric. I don't know how that helps me here, but maybe some day?

BWP20150620025543.jpg

Also Hrothgar obvously knew that we were coming through the time portal, and has been guiding us to a pre-determined conclusion this whole time. But determined by who? Not Hrothgar himself, surely.

Something to think about, anyways, while we rest until nightfall.

We do so, and then enter the only available entrance to the Hand of the Seldarine.

BWP20150620025933.jpg

We are greeted with undead.

BWP20150620030042.jpg

After killing them and looting them, I realize that I'm carrying around Arundel's stuff. A leather armor, a ring of Free Action, a Cloak of the Wolf, and Arundel's own staff.

Staff-of-Arundel.jpg

Too bad none of us can use it.

After the intial fight Imoen summons an elemental and Accalia her aerial servant. Then Imoen Hastes everybody an we are ready to rock.

BWP20150620030739.jpg

Good thing, too, because there's a lot of rocking to do.

BWP20150620031048.jpg

This entire place is literally crawling with undead. Hrothgar seems to be cleaning up on them, though.

BWP20150620032311.jpg

There is some incidental treasure, but the biggest find that we have is a way to go up.

BWP20150620033039.jpg

The next level is also the home of many undead hordes.

BWP20150620033138.jpg

After clearing them out, we find a passage down in the north-north-western room.

BWP20150620040805.jpg

It only connects to where we've been before, but failed to see the way up.

There's also a doorway up in the center.

BWP20150620040949.jpg

And a ramp upwards in the westernmost room.

BWP20150620041034.jpg

They both seem to lead to the same place - the next level up, so I decide to take the ramp.

More and more skeletons we find.

BWP20150620041500.jpg

Gameplay note: These are actually archer skeleton warriors and require a ton of kiting and careful tactical combat because they fire acid-tipped arrows that kill over just a couple rounds. But I'm trying to get through this as fast as possible via the suggestions in this thread so I'm glossing over the fights.

After clearing out the skeleton warriors and some restless spirits, we explore this floor and find that we can't actually get to the center from the edge. Too much of the floor has fallen away.

BWP20150621043054.jpg

There are some goodies in the accumulated wreckage, though.

BWP20150621044344.jpg

They are a necklace and a magical hat that I cannot identify. Well, we'll have to save that for later!

Going back down to the level below via the ramp we came up on and walking to the center is the way to go, so we do that, appearing in the otherwise inaccessible center of the map.

BWP20150621043257.jpg

Imoen finds some very disturbingly-shaped traps. Seriously what is up with these?!

BWP20150621043436.jpg

We engage a lot more vampiric souls than skeleton warriors.

#1395 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

I throw some random magic out at them which turns into Death Fog.

BWP20150621043845.jpg

Later on, I am able to summon forth a strange floating sword to attack my enemies.

BWP20150621044849.jpg

In another pile of loot, we find a strange instrument.

BWP20150621045925.jpg

Owains-Lullabye.jpg

I think I'm starting to understand what happened here.

BWP20150621050555.jpg

We eventually find our way to a door that is still intact.

BWP20150621051005.jpg

I was hoping that would mean an end to undead, but no.

BWP20150621051102.jpg

It does mean that we are able to clear out this entire level, though.

BWP20150621051907.jpg

Time to go upstairs yet again.

BWP20150621051946.jpg

As we climb up this next stairway, I hear the sound of voices, ghostly, haunting, and distant. Unfortunately they never become anything different than closer.

BWP20150621052042.jpg

Tensely, I begin to creep forward. What fresh hell is this?

BWP20150621052148.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg I do Accalia, but there is nothing I can say that will allay their fears. Believe me, had there been another way of bringing us safely here, then I would not have acted as I did.

XhduJ.jpg I will admit that I was more than a little afraid when you revealed your ability to perform such a feat, but my faith in Tempus tells me that he would not permit me to aid you if he had not looked into your heart. I fear the others here do not have my faith, and this is why they cannot see you for the man you really are.

Hrothgar.jpeg Tell me Accalia, if it was not for your trust in Tempus, would you not perhaps view me with the same suspicion?

XhduJ.jpg I... I do not know, Hrothgar. I have never been without my faith. Even when my parents were against my becoming an initiate in the temple of Tempus, I knew it was the right thing for me and my faith has held strong ever since. I... I cannot answer your question.

Hrothgar.jpeg Your willingness to trust me comes from your faith in your god, whereas these people have been abused and used barbarically, then to find themselves thrown back in time, and in the company of a man who they know has more answers than he is prepared to give. I think their grounds for suspicion are well-founded, don't you?

XhduJ.jpg I am sure you are right, but does it not concern you that they are more than likely to take the next portal that they come across and leave you to battle this evil alone? No... that isn't entirely true. You will have me at your side when we eventually confront our enemy, but I fear we will be no match for it without the aid of Syvishtar and this group.

By 'this group' you mean Imoen?

Hrothgar.jpeg It concerns me greatly, for I realize that should Syvishtar decide to abandon this mission, there is nowhere that we can seek alternate aid. We would truly be alone, Accalia, and I fear both Kuldahar and Easthaven will be lost. As you trust in Tempus, so must I trust that when the decision to continue or return confronts Syvishtar, instinct will prevail and the right choice will be made. A choice, that no matter which way it goes, I will have to accept.

You know we can hear you guys, right?

XhduJ.jpg You are a brave man, Hrothgar. You will continue this battle, alone if necessary, in order to save the innocent people of your town, even though you now you would not prevail. If Syvishtar should desert us, know that I consider it an honor to stand, and fall if Tempus wills it, by your side.

Hrothgar.jpeg (*He puts his hand on her shoulder*). If that is how it is to be, then know that I am also proud to have so brave a companion to fight by my side. Let us hope we never see such a day, Accalia. But if we should, then we will face it... draw strength from each other's resolve to defy all that is evil and, who knows, maybe Tempus will look kindly upon the bravest of his battle priests, and we shall prevail.

OK OK I GET IT GEEZ PEOPLE DON'T LAY IN ON SO THICK HOW WILL I EVER GET THE HINT IF I'M BEING CRUSHED BENEATH ITS WEIGHT.

Accalia doesn't seem to read the look on my face. She is preoccupied with other matters.

BWP20150621053332.jpg

XhduJ.jpg Much to consider, you say. And what would be your main consideration, may I ask?

BRKVQ.jpg I would have to consider my promise to see this through with Hrothgar.

XhduJ.jpg An honorable answer. But what of your promise to your friends... to guide them safely home? If they were adamant in their decision to go home, how would you uphold both your promise to them and to Hrothgar?

BRKVQ.jpg Then I would give them an ultimatum - they follow or they leave.

XhduJ.jpg What of yourself and your reasons to stay should the others decide to leave? After all, you have known and trusted these people far longer than you have known Hrothgar or myself.

BRKVQ.jpg I have given Hrothgar my word to aid him, and once given I would not choose to go back on it lightly. But I will do what I think is right, as when the choice arises.

XhduJ.jpg Not the reassuring answer that I was hoping for, but at least it is good to know that you will at least consider honoring your word to aid Hrothgar in any decision you make.

XhduJ.jpg He is a good man, Syvishtar, and he will battle this enemy alone if necessary to save the innocent. But I am sure that you are already aware of this. I have no more question. May Tempus guide your heart in these evil times.

Just then a spectral warrior raises his weapon in the air and says...

BWP20150621053958.jpg

Well, ok then. Good for you. Noble sentiment and all that.

What's behind this door?

#1396 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:41 AM

Ahh, a ghost!

BWP20150621054408.jpg

lehland.jpg Surely you jest, SAH! Why my store has some of the FINEST wares from across the land! Just look around! Look at that rug hanging on the west wall. Quality of this caliber can only be found from the far reaches of the east.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you tell me about the elves of the Hand?

lehland.jpg Of course, SAH! As you have probably noticed, The Hand of the Seldarine is more of a fortress. We are always in constant preparation for battle against the dark horde of the North. As you have seen, the levels below house the majority of the elven fortress.

lehland.jpg The level you are standing on is a commons area where you will find our festhall, tavern, and the store of yours truly, me. From this level, you can obviously see the Corellon Tower, Sheverash Tower, Sehanine TOwer, Labelas Tower, and Solonor Tower.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me about Corellon Tower.

lehland.jpg Some would call Corellon Tower the place where many, if not all, of the important decisions are made regarding the Ar-Tel'Quessir of the North. As of late, most of our time has been spent in preparing a defense against the horde -- almost as if the fight was going to be taken to our front door. But fear not, SAH! The Ar-Tel'Quesir of the North will crush the Horde long before their feet touch this fortress.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me about Sheverash Tower.

lehland.jpg In Sheverash Tower, you will find where the armed forces of the Ar-Tel'Quessir of the North train and equip themselves for battle. From blade to bow, Kaylessa takes every elf and hones them to do battle with the horde. Perhaps she can give you a few lessons as well, SAH.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you tell me about Sehanine Tower?

lehland.jpg Deep within Sehanine Tower is where we enchant the weapons and armor used against the horde. It is one of our most heavily guarded towers to ensure that the craft as well as its items do not fall into the wrong hands. If that were to happen, it could easily turn the tide of the war against us.

BRKVQ.jpg I'm interested in hearing about Labelas Tower.

lehland.jpg As you wish, SAH! Labelas Tower is where the wizards of the Hand spend their time if they are not busy within Sehanine Tower. Inside is one of the most extensive libraries covering elven history and lore in the realms. Located on the highest level of the tower is one of our pinnacle achievements, the Astrolabe. There, Larrel and his wizards study everything regarding time and the stars.

Ooh, that's where I need to go!

BRKVQ.jpg Solonor Tower - tell me what you know of it.

lehland.jpg Within this tower is where our devout priests reside. They provide various clerical services to us as well as tend to the sick and wounded. If you should ever need their services, they are at your disposal, SAH.

BRKVQ.jpg Can I see what you have for sale?

And he has things. He actually has things for sale. His ghostly hands produce actual objects that I can look at.

BWP20150621114348.jpg

I buy an actual scroll case and gem bag from him. They're not ghostly, but real.

BWP20150621115551.jpg

BWP20150621115611.jpg

This is so freaky.

I also sell him back all the weapons and equipment from the undead that I killed in the floors below. It equals to 31,008 gold! Real gold, not ghost gold!

BWP20150621120803.jpg

Finally, I ask him about the magical hat and the necklace that I found. The hat is called Dominant.

Dominant.jpg

And the amulet is called the Barrier Amulet.

Barrier-Amulet0.jpg

Awesome! I put them both on immediately.

Then I can't help myself... I have to question this ghostly elf further.

BWP20150621115120.jpg

lehland.jpg Have you been sipping too much elven wine, SAH? The *Severed Hand?* What in Corellon's name is that, SAH? Is that what you southerners call the Hand of the Seldarine? Destroyed? SAH, I do not mean to be insulting, but if you look outside my store, you will see many elves, alive and well, going about their daily business.

BRKVQ.jpg I think *you're* the one that's been hitting the elven wine.

lehland.jpg SAH! I would kindly ask you to take your business elsewhere until you can speak in a more civilized manner! Good day.

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell, Lehland.

As Lehland said, this level is divided into 5 rooms, one for each finger I presume.

BWP20150621120913.jpg

One of these finger-rooms is where Larrel is. But I'm pretty sure we have to loot all of the others first. After all, these are all ghost elves. I'm real.

I decide to go clockwise around this area.

BWP20150621121119.jpg

There's nothing here but a few potions.

BWP20150621121310.jpg

To the right of that room is a very ornate staircase.

BWP20150621121427.jpg

It must lead up one of the fingers. I'll do that later.

The room to the right of the passage is quite ornate.

BWP20150621121613.jpg

As we enter, I see the small form of a ghostly elven child rush past.

BWP20150621121754.jpg

My heart clenches.

#1397 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

What happened to her? I must know.

BWP20150621122651.jpg

elven-child.jpg Mother is... mother! She owns this place. When strangers come to the Hand, mother lets them rest here. Did you want to play now?

BRKVQ.jpg Where did your mother go?

elven-child.jpg Mother said there was a lot of fighting downstairs and that we should stay here. There was so much noise! When the noise got really loud, mother began to cry.

elven-child.jpg She told me to hide under the bed and not to let anyone in. Mother said she was going to help and that she'd come back to play with me soon. She locked the door, and I haven't seen her since. That's okay. Mother is probably busy helping. She'll come back soon.

BRKVQ.jpg Little one, do you think your mother will mind if I rest here for a while?

elven-child.jpg Nope! After you rest, then we can play!

She leads us to several of the old beds. We choose the ones with the least amount of rot, and fall into them.

Injbg.jpg

Also, there are some forgotten goodies on this table.

BWP20150621123137.jpg

Another ornate stairway leads upwards.

BWP20150621123226.jpg

When we're done here.

The southeast room emits a lot of noise. I hear the playful banter of elven spoken at ease.

BWP20150621123549.jpg

They've got to be ghosts, right? They speak of the past as if it hadn't happened.

We walk in and see a lot of ghostly forms sitting at tables, drinking wine and eating cheese.

BWP20150621123659.jpg

But as we stand there, they slowly fade away, until nothing is left but empty tables.

BWP20150621123806.jpg

How sad.

A southern passage also tempts us with its ornate stairway.

BWP20150621123903.jpg

We move on to the fifth and final room here on this level, and once again hear the sounds of ghostly revelry behind closed doors.

BWP20150621123942.jpg

But once again, the ghostly elves fade with their voices, until nothing remains.

BWP20150621124024.jpg

BWP20150621124103.jpg

Well, nothing except potions for me to loot.

BWP20150621124141.jpg

Having completed the circuit of this round level, we find ourselves back at the start. And I realize that since all the spirits are friendly here, we should talk to the undead one that walks and talks of honor and duty.

BWP20150621124341.jpg

He knows he is a ghost!

lethias.jpg I will be the judge of that. Speak your intentions clearly.

He thinks critically!

BRKVQ.jpg Evil plagues the land. We seek the aid of Larrel to help us find the source.

lethias.jpg Perhaps you are not the miscreants I had thought you were. If what you say is true, it is my duty to aid you if it will further the ways of the Seldarine. I am Lethias Enaril, Bladesinger of the Seldarine.

Aww, I miss Xan.

BRKVQ.jpg Lethias, you speak of your duty to the Hand. I'd like to know what that means.

lethias.jpg Some say bladesingers are the elite of elven warriors. Trained from an early age in the ways of weapons, magic, and diplomacy, bladesingers carry out the elven way in words and action.

lethias.jpg When life prospered in the Seldarine's Hand, it was my duty to defend the cause of the Seldarine. When the time of our darkest hour approached, I swore to protect Larrel and the Hand until I had no more blood to be spilt. To do any less would disgrace my kind.

lethias.jpg For many days I fought alongside my brothers and sisters. Score after score of orcs and goblins fell as my blade sang through the air. Although I saw nothing but the color of my enemy's blood, we were losing ground. When we realized the fall of the Hand was inevitable, we were forced to take desperate action.

lethias.jpg Sehanine Tower was our most prized tower. Inside were the chambers where we crafted our finest weapons and artifacts. We could not let our magics fall into the hands of the horde, or the surrounding lands would suffer for centuries after the Hand fell.

lethias.jpg A desperate plan was created that would ensure this would never happen. All the artifacts within Sehanine Tower were set to release their magic so that the tower would destroy itself. Before these energies were released, however, we planned to lead as many of the orcs and goblins as we could into Sehanine.

lethias.jpg The plan required one who was willing to lead the orcs and goblins into the tower. One who would know the sacrifice had to be made. One willing to die.

lethias.jpg I decided that it would be me. I would make the sacrifice. My duty was clear.

lethias.jpg When the time came, the horde pursued me as I climbed to the top. As my enemies stormed the room at the pinnacle of the tower, I fought with blade and faith for the last time. With the wall at my back and the room filled with orcs and goblins, I heard the first explosions from the base of the tower... and smiled.

lethias.jpg I died -- and I knew I had died, but... I awoke. That was when I saw myself. Not as an elven bladesinger, but as a twisted undead monster. Something brought my body back into this form but had left my mind intact.

lethias.jpg So here I am, standing before what was once known as Sehanine Tower. A monster perhaps, but one thing still remains the same. My duty to myslf and the Hand of the Seldarine.

BRKVQ.jpg Lethias, I'd hear of what you know about how to find Larrel.

lethias.jpg Unfortunately, I have not seen Larrel in some time. I know that during the fall of the Hand, he and his wizards locked themselves atop Labelas Tower. They sought a way to save our people through magic -- but from looking around, something must have gone terribly wrong. Seek a way into Labelas Tower. Perhaps you will find an answer there.

BRKVQ.jpg Many thanks, Lethias. I shall return.

#1398 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Soooo, the tower with all the magical artifacts and weapons should be, oh, here, right?

BWP20150621125543.jpg

But no, no, this is not what I was expecting.

BWP20150621223101.jpg

The same ghostly apparition from the front of the tower stands here babbling.

BWP20150621223248.jpg

We are not getting anywhere here.

BWP20150621224201.jpg

If you think about this level as the face of a clock, we just visited 9 o'clock. We then move to the right, and walk through the 6 o'clock stairway.

BWP20150621223546.jpg

My breath catches in my throat. This place is beautiful!

BWP20150621223632.jpg

These must be the elven gods. There's, what, 5 of them? Who are they? Corellon I've heard of, and Sehanine Moonbow. But I don't know who the others are.

Maybe this ghost knows?

BWP20150621224714.jpg

denaini.jpg My... my name is Denaini. I am a priestess of the Hand. Er... what used to be the Hand. As you can see, there isn't much left of it. And what remains is a horrid travesty of what we once held sacred.

BRKVQ.jpg What happened to the Hand?

denaini.jpg The Hand of the Seldarine was once a proud achievement of the Ar-Tel Quessir. Out of the raw harshness of the cold, we carved a beautiful elven citadel where we prospered for many centuries. During that time, we were in constant war with the dark horde that plagued the area. In the end, the dark horde began to overwhelm us and in a desperate plan to save what was left, Larrel cast the Mythal that cursed us all.

BRKVQ.jpg What can you tell me about Larrel and the Mythal?

denaini.jpg Larrel was our leader, one of the most respected wizards of the Hand. He was the one responsible for building the Hand of the Seldarine centuries ago. After its creation, the Ar-Tel Quessir lived in a state of growth and prosperity. Turning the surrounding area into fertile lands and crafting magical items of exceptional power, we made a proud monument to the elven way of life.

BRKVQ.jpg Then what happened?

denaini.jpg Soon after, we found ourselves in a war with the dark horde. Vicious orcs and goblins who wanted nothing more than to destroy everything we held dear! The war with them raged for many decades. Towards the end, the dark horde was beginning to overrun us. Desperate, Larrel cast the Mythal in hopes of bringing us salvation. Instead, he brought annihilation.

BRKVQ.jpg Mythal? Is that some sort of enchantment?

denaini.jpg The Mythal is a powerful spell from ancient and almost forgotten elven lore. It creates a living force that embodies the area it is cast on. Sustaining itself on the natural processes of the environment, it can be bestowed with powers to enhance its protective nature.

BRKVQ.jpg And the Mythal was intended to protect the Hand from the horde?

denaini.jpg Yes. When we faced the grim reality that we were losing, we had to buy time to receive reinforcements from our brothers and sisters in the south. Larrel devised a desperate plan to save us. He intended to lay a Mythal down on the Hand that would prevent any of the dark horde from entering.

BRKVQ.jpg What happened then?

denaini.jpg At the time, we thought Larrel had released our salvation. Instead, he damned us all. Something went terribly wrong with the spell -- every living thing in the surrounding land and inside the Hand itself was drained of its life essence, almost to the point of death. Our people and our attackers became as shades, driven mad by the life that was taken from them. Even worse, the energies of the Mythal took those who had died and brought them back as undead.

BRKVQ.jpg You say all living things were driven mad when they became shades. Yet you can still speak to me. Why?

denaini.jpg A few of us maintained our sanity and some semblance of who we were. Cursed, as we are powerless to do anything to change it or put any of our brothers and sisters to proper rest.

BRKVQ.jpg A sad tale indeed, Denaini. Could you speak of your time here as a priestess?

denaini.jpg I was one of the younger acolytes of the Hand. During the days when the Hand was still in its glory, I spent most of my time here. As you can see, this level of Solonor Tower was our shrine to the gods. Here is where the elves of the Hand spent some of their free time worshipping.

BRKVQ.jpg Tell me more of this elven shrine.

denaini.jpg In its former glory, this shrine was a monument to our elven gods. The statues and adornment pools were built by our most talented artisans. Flowers blossomed year round in the small garden. We had a simple ritual where we would take a flower from the garden and place it in one of the adornment pools as an offering for our prayer. As you can see, these same pools are not even fit to look at anymore. Until I can find some holy water to purify the pools, they will remain this way.

BRKVQ.jpg What of the other priests in this tower?

denaini.jpg As with everyone in the Hand when Larrel cast the Mythal, we were drained of our life essence and transformed into this blasphemous state of existence. Except for myself, the priests now haunt the upper leves of Solonor Tower, completely void of soul and consciousness. They are condemned to live this way unless... unless someone can put them to rest.

BRKVQ.jpg You're asking me to kill the priests?

denaini.jpg You would *not* be killing them - they are already dead! Please, I beg you -- I would do it myself if I could. In this ghastly form, I am powerless to bring them peace. All I ask is that you grant them the eternal rest they deserve after being condemned for so long.

BRKVQ.jpg They must be laid to proper rest. I will do as you ask.

denaini.jpg Thank you for listening to my desperate plea. Please make it as quick and painless as posible. Return to me when it is done.

BRKVQ.jpg I will return, Denaini.

I take a couple more looks around before I ascend the staircase.

BWP20150621230947.jpg

This place is full of sadness.

BWP20150621231011.jpg

I remember Xan, and his almost intolerable sadness at times. Does everything that elves do turn to sadness and loss?

#1399 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

We go upstairs to put down the elven ghosts. I get lucky and summon a djinni when the fight starts!

BWP20150621231224.jpg

The battle is intense, but short.

BWP20150621231628.jpg

There is another floor above this one.

BWP20150621232236.jpg

Another intense battle, but undead vs. a cleric and a paladin (of sorts) are not well-matched.

BWP20150621234138.jpg

In the room we find a strange bit of broken machinery.

BWP20150621234259.jpg

Hmm, looks important. I should put this in the bag of holding.

Ugh, there's another level to this tower. Will the undead never cease?

BWP20150621235820.jpg

Oh, doors this time. Hopefully that will prevent us from being swarmed.

BWP20150621235903.jpg

Ehh, kindof?

BWP20150621235945.jpg

We find scrolls of Flamestrike and Heal, a Symbol of Sehanine Moonbow, and some more potions.

BWP20150622000408.jpg

We also find a barrel of holy water!

BWP20150622000451.jpg

One of the scrolls we find is Protection from Undead, and I realize that have a lot of more of those. Like more than 6! How can I be so stupid?!

We quickly pull out 4 copies of them and cast the spell.

BWP20150622000731.jpg

It was SO OBVIOUS! Why didn't we do this before?!

In the next room we find no undead, but we do find seeds.

BWP20150622000855.jpg

Next room, same undeadless story. But there is loot. Like this Rithtellium Ore.

BWP20150622001014.jpg

There is also some elven chain, lying right there on the table.

BWP20150622001207.jpg

I let Imoen put it on. It looks good on her!

BWP20150622001406.jpg

In the next room we find a wand of the heavens.

BWP20150622001549.jpg

And after taking out what I hope to be the final set of elven cleric ghosts, we find a Ring of Sanctuary.

BWP20150622001818.jpg

I give it to Accalia.

The top of this tower doesn't look so bad, you know?

BWP20150622001949.jpg

Then its back down to tell the ghostly Denaini about all this good news we have!

BWP20150622012321.jpg

denaini.jpg You have brought holy water! With this, I can purify the pools and restore some glory to this place of beauty. I know it's not much, but please -- take this as thanks.

BRKVQ.jpg Farewell, Denaini.

She gave me the Cloak of the Seldarine's hand!

BWP20150622012441.jpg

It's such a nice cloak that I wear it myself.

Gameplay note: My new robe with the sweet hood gives me +20% magic resistance, but this cloak sets my magic resistance to 30%. So I have 30% magic resistance, not 50%, as I had hoped. I'm still far below my BG1 power level.

But I also have to tell Denaini that I have slain all the clerics upstairs.

BWP20150622012826.jpg

denaini.jpg I thank you. You do not know how much this means to me. The priests of Seldarine's Hand now know peace and can go to the afterlife. May this help you in your cause.

BRKVQ.jpg May you find peace, Denaini. Farewell.

She gives me two more items - Edley's Sling, and a bastard sword called Trollslayer.

Edleys-Sling.jpg

Trollslayer.jpg

Two candidates for the Bag of Holding. And we have brought eternal rest to this finger of the Hand of the Seldarine. I feel pretty good about this, all things considered.

Time to rest up at the Ghost Girl Inn, heh.

What, too soon?

#1400 Usurper

Usurper
  • 1115 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:42 AM

BWP20150623020208.jpg

6 Kythorn, 1281

It is not as creepy as you'd think, sleeping in an abandoned inn run by the ghost of an elven child. It is more constantly annoying, with her never sleeping and always wanting to play. It makes me miss the Elfsong Tavern in Baldur's Gate, because the elf ghost haunting that place only came out every once in a while.

Somehow we manage to get to sleep, though, and rest through the night. The next day, after playing ball with the ghost child for a while, we try for the 3 o'clock staircase.

BWP20150622013220.jpg

This place is also remarkably peaceful. Another sentient ghost stalks this hall, and approaches us.

BWP20150622013453.jpg

kaylessa.jpg Hmmm. I don't know much about this Heartstone Gem, but it must be powerful indeed if only Larrel can use its powers. My name is Kaylessa. I am... was... the weapons master of the Hand.

kaylessa.jpg With that all said, you must have some questions that need answering.

BRKVQ.jpg Well met, Kaylessa. We would know more about you - you're very different than most of the spirits we've encountered here.

kaylessa.jpg When the hand was at the pinnacle of its glory, I trained my people in the ways of combat. No one could best my deftness with the sword or my accuracy with the bow.

kaylessa.jpg All my soldiers were honed to perfection. When we were called to battle, it did not take long before our enemies found their forces in chaos and retreat.

kaylessa.jpg Those days are long gone now. Any of my soldiers that remain are twisted shadows of their former selves. I differ from them only in that I have retained my senses. It is a curse, knowing what we've become and powerless to do anything about it.

BRKVQ.jpg Kaylessa, I'd like to talk about how to find Larrel. Perhaps something can be done to help you if we find him.

kaylessa.jpg Finding Larrel will not be easy. When the Hand fell, he was damned. He is now a Baelnorn, an elven lich-like creature doomed to live forever. How this came about? I do not know.

kaylessa.jpg You may have seen Larrel as you have explored the Hand, but what you saw is not truly him - it is more a 'sending,' a figment of himself that wanders the Hand. Larel -- the true Larrel -- is atop Labelas Tower.

kaylessa.jpg Every time I have seen Larrel's sending, it has rambled on like a village idiot -- with one exception. Once, it mentioned something about Larrel's great astolabe and how it was no longer turning.

BRKVQ.jpg Can you tell me more about Larrel's astrolabe?

kaylessa.jpg Larrel's astrolabe is a wondrous device constructed to help him and his wizards research space and time. As I recall, Larrel and his wizards were using it during the last days of the Hand.

BRKVQ.jpg Larrel was researching space and time? I must know more of this astrolabe Kaylessa.

kaylessa.jpg I am not the person you should be asking. I know no more than what I have said. I am a soldier and I have no interest in the ways of the wizard.

BRKVQ.jpg Larrel's astrolabe may be our only means of escaping this place, Kaylessa. Please, anything you know or may have heard will be a great help.

kaylessa.jpg Find Geralith. He is around somewhere, probably atop the tower with Larrel. If I am right, then he will be trying to repair the astrolabe. It was he who built the machine and he who was responsible for its upkeep.

BRKVQ.jpg Geralith is trying to repair the astrolabe... are you saying that it is broken?

kaylessa.jpg In the aftermath of the Hand's destruction, I found this piece of machinery, which I believe to be a piece of Larrel's astrolabe. After seeing the state of mind of most everyone left in the Hand, I have held onto it and guarded it. The last thing I wanted was someone using the power held within this piece to cause further harm to the Hand.

BRKVQ.jpg Kaylessa, we may need that item if we are to have Larrel help us.

kaylessa.jpg Your intentions may be noble, but I'm afraid I cannot entrust you with this item yet. You will need to prove yourselves first.

BRKVQ.jpg How?

kaylessa.jpg The elves atop this tower were among my most dedicated soldiers. Whatever curse befell the Hand not only twisted their bodies, but twisted their minds as well. They act and live as if in the final moments of the Hand. Forever prepared to defend against any intrusion to this tower.

BRKVQ.jpg What of them?

kaylessa.jpg My soldiers do not deserve what has befallen them -- they deserve to die in battle. They would want to meet their end with steel in their hands upon the battlefield. I would ask that you climb the tower and send them to eternal rest.

BRKVQ.jpg I will put them to rest as you wish.

kaylessa.jpg You have my heartfelt thanks. Return to me when my soldiers are at peace.

Imoen-bg2.jpeg It's... it's not like we are being asked to kill real people, is it? I mean they were real people once, brave people, but now they are just restless spirits... right?

XhduJ.jpg As a battle priest of Tempus I can understand Kaylessa's anguish over the fate that has befallen her soldiers. To be denied the honor of death in battle and be forced to live that final torment forever is cruel and a fate no honorable being deserves. In Tempus' name let us climb the tower and bring honor to those unfortunate souls.

Hrothgar.jpeg Your concern for the souls of others does you proud, Accalia, but let us not allow our emotions and feelings of injustice force us to act rashly. Kaylessa has told us of how capable and dedicated her soldiers were in life. We must act on the assumption that they have lost none of their ardour in death. We would be wise to take our next steps very carefully until we know the nature of those we are to battle.

XhduJ.jpg Of course, Hrothgar. My fervor to do that which is right in the eyes of Tempus often gives rise to my use of hasty words, but never to hasty actions. I understand well the need for caution, even when we feel we know our enemy, we should never underestimate how the instinct to survive can often turn a battle around just when we feel the foe is down.

Hrothgar.jpeg There is great compassion in that which we are about to do for these tortured souls, my friends. These were once proud soldiers and as such are undeserving of the cruel blow that fate has bestowed upon them. Know that there is no shame in bringing death, and in its wake, peace to those suffering such torment.

There is a gate here, and behind that a wall full of weapons. The gate is locked, though, so I motion Imoen to get on it. She does, and easily unlocks the gate while Accalia and Hrothgar talk some more.

BWP20150622015948.jpg

Hrothgar.jpeg (*Smiles*) You ask that question in such a way that you wouldn't be surprised to hear that I do, Accalia.

XhduJ.jpg And why should I be surprised? I have come to know that you are more than you profess to be... there is wisdom in your face when I look into it, and yet you do not have the age that brings such great wisdom. No... there is more to you, much more, but it is not my place to pry where I have no need to be. About this astrolabe...

Hrothgar.jpeg Astrolabes are I believe devices more commonly used to study the skies, or to be more accurate, the moon and the stars. Just the sort of thing you would expect to find in a wizard's tower. However, I have no idea as to whether they can transport a body through time, and I am guessing that was to be your next question.

XhduJ.jpg Guessing or picking out of my mind, I wonder? The latter wouldn't surprise me, but then, neither does it bother me. I imagine that is also the question that is on Syvishtar's mind.

Hrothgar.jpeg Yes, you are almost certainly right, Accalia. I know if I were in Syvishtar's place, then that is what I would be thinking.

Guys, I'm right here.

XhduJ.jpg Why do you have to be so infuriatingly sympathetic to his plight, Hrothgar? It is looking more and more like this group has no intentions of seeing this through with us, and you accept it without so much as an attempt to persuade them differently.

GUYS.

Hrothgar.jpeg I admit it might seem that way, but all I have heard are questions that I would expect to hear from a person who is lost in another time, and anxious to find their way home. I still believe that Syvishtar will hold good on the promise to find and defeat this enemy with me.

RIGHT.

HERE.

XhduJ.jpg And if the promise is not upheld, then what?

Hrothgar.jpeg Then I will remind Syvishtar of the responsibility that comes with giving one's word and of the responsibility that comes when that word is broken. But ultimately the decision will be between Syvishtar and his conscience.

BY THE BLOODY WEAVE!

XhduJ.jpg A decision that you will have to abide by... right?

Hrothgar.jpeg Right. There is too much at stake to force a confrontation with Syvishtar, more than you can imagine, Accalia. Just trust me when I say Syvishtar's destiny is such that it is imperative that he makes it back to the future. Please, I can explain no more, so please don't ask me.

XhduJ.jpg You know me well enough to know that if you ask me to leave a thing then I will. You will not have told me so much knowing that you could say no more if you didn't.

XhduJ.jpg Your words may send shivers of ice down my spine, but I do not believe it is through fear, but more through a sense of awe and wonder at who you really are, Hrothgar of Easthaven! I am curious that is true, but I trust you enough not to need answers to satisfy my curiosity.

Get a room already you two.

Hrothgar.jpeg You are indeed an exceptional person, Accalia. Your trust in me is not misplaced, nor will it ever be abused. Now, let us continue and find out what this astrolabe is really capable of.