Photo

Big World Install issues.

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:46 AM

I've been attempting to install BGII with Big World Install.bat to no avail. I've used the guide done by Jarlo, checked for the BP180 fix but I'm still having issues. At times, the game will be completely uninstalled during the running of Big World Install.bat, or it cuts off after 1PP after installing Resource Fixer v1, before installing BP180. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and I'm reading all over the place, for the past week, attempting to get it to install correctly after 5 attempts. UAC is turned off, anti-virus, BG1-2 are not installed in Program Files (but I did make duplicates of unmodded ones in Program Files to help fool Big World Install into reading the patches). I am using GoG versions. Weidu log and Big World Debug are attached.

The debug file has 2 installations because when I installed it using "BGT" I assumed the sudden stop as a final attempt may have just been for BGT and selected "Install BG2 only" with the same result, so I turned here. Thanks for any help, in advance.

This is my thread posted in the wrong section, so I reposted it here (for the administrators, sorry for the double threads).

Attached File BiG World Debug.txt (12.32MB), erhm, you might want to pack that into a .zip archive... it's faster to upload that way too, and download.

And this is the wrong forum, it should be in the Mega Moding Help forum, as you have more than 10 mods and 50+ components.

What you probably want to do is make a clean install, back that up somewhere(or use the backup if you have one). Then extract all mod and BWP tool files a folder, then move them to the game folder and run the Big World Install.bat ... answer the few questions it has and let it do it's job. Select the "BGT" option if you want to install the BG1 portion to the game(and the BGII). And then just wait... the WeiDU.log you have attached has last component from the SCS... the Generalized Biffing for example is not run or you didn't include it. YOU NEED TO !

(but I did make duplicates of unmodded ones in Program Files to help fool Big World Install into reading the patches).

What does that mean ? Erhm, use the latest BWI, not the ancient one that had a problem with this, as it didn't compute correctly.

I'm using BWI v10.3.3 and excluded Generalized Biffing for the purposes of editing the items and content myself down the road. I just wanted to install all of the mods for the purposes of having access to all items/chars to edit at my leisure. The Weidu log shows the last component of SCS being installed, but it's not the last component chosen or the mod (which as mentioned above is why this was in the wrong forum, and for that I apologize), thus my confusion over why it's installing only a portion of the mods and not all of them. Also; I have individual back ups of the game on my external HD, 1 of the game unmodded, and another with the game unmodded, but with the mod folders and .exe's placed inside. But for some reason, on 2 separate occasions the BWI seems to stop in the middle of installing the mods and then proceeding to uninstall the game. When I thought it had finished, I clicked to open the game, it asked me to install it, upon checking Control Panel, I found it was no longer in my list of installed programs.

As for me creating backups in Program Files to "fool" the BWI, the BWI was having difficulties finding the patched version of Baldur's Gate, and as Jarlo's guide suggested, creating a second copy in Program Files helps in this, and so it does, so I created a secondary backup of BGII as a "just in case."

I am using BWFixpack/Install/Trimpack, I don't know of any other tools or what they do so a description would be nice. I have attempted to use BWP but it keeps downloading older versions of the mods instead of using the more current ones I already have, is there a way to bypass that? I don't use it for that reason, and I don't understand the guides I've read. Anyways, if there's any other information I can give, or can be provided that can help me remedy this, I'd appreciate it. Also, files have been reattached in .zip format for ease of use, as suggested by Jarlo.

Thank you.

Attached Files

"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#2 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:24 AM

Your debug log shows you actually ran the install.bat twice? :wacko: To summarize, you BGII-SoA is fubared and you need to start over :(

Have a glance over this btw, should answer most of your questions :cheers:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#3 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

Thanks much, I've stumbled across this guide before, but since I couldn't get either BWP or BWS to work properly, I gave up on them entirely. I'll re-look it over and try this out.
"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#4 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

As Lollorian suggest, don't forget to start from the very beginning of this tutorial (re-Install BG1 and 2 from the beginning).

Edited by Fouinto, 13 January 2012 - 08:53 AM.

#5 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

If you have any issues following the guide, let me know and I'll try and help, but as Lollorian and Fouinto have said, you have to start from the very beginning.
---------------------------------------------------------------
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:
1. FAQ for the Megamods The Main Megamod FAQ
2. BiG World Project The Mega Mod Installer
3. BWP Mod List The most up to date Mod list for BWP installs

Cool Stuff:
1. Baldur's Gate Trilogy - This mod alows you to play BGI in the BG ToB engine
2. Throne of Bhaal Extender This mod adds new functions to BGT games
3. All Infinity Animations Mods This mod adds new animations to the game.
4. Widescreen Mod This mod allows you to play BGT in widescreen mod
5. Generalized Biffing This mod will speed up your game allot

#6 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 03:55 PM

Thank you, I am curious about a few things regarding your guide. Using the GoG version of the game and your guide, I should be fine, right? I've gone through the BWI.bat (v10.3.3) and edited it to install the mods I wanted according to my list, is that in some way messing with the install? By editing it, I opened it with notepad and reworked the numbers according to Leomar's BW guide. If you want I can attach the files.
"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#7 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hi, I don't have the GoG version of the game so I'm not familiar with it, however there are others here that are and posted in my guide thread regarding the GOG version and things to do different.
My Guides:
1. How to install BWP for newbies My Guide for Spellhold on installing the BWP Mega-mod.
2. How to Install Infinity Animations for newbies My step by step guide to installing this must have mod.

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#8 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

By editing it, I opened it with notepad and reworked the numbers according to Leomar's BW guide. If you want I can attach the files.

May I have a gander? :P

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#9 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

By editing it, I opened it with notepad and reworked the numbers according to Leomar's BW guide. If you want I can attach the files.

May I have a gander? :P

There you go. The first one is a custom word document, I only added mods that I would be using and the components. You might find it goofy looking, but it helps me when installing, even though I always did it manually (hence the detailed document). The Big World Install is just the .bat file. If you find any anomalies or mistakes I have made, let me know.

Attached Files

"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#10 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Immediately noticeable changes are the txt checks the install.bat uses to check for stuff and you moving lots of mods from Tactics/Expert to Recommended (along with liberal component changes :P)

- you seem to have changed a lot of IFN stuff to simply IF (those are mod checks and shouldn't be played with (unlike the IFT/IFX stuff)
- you've removed complementary checks from a lot of stuff :o Please make sure what you're changing does things that you want.

There are several instances of this scenario in the install.bat
IF tactics install and setup exists call somemod.exe's component 0
IF not tactics install and setup exists call somemod.exe's component 1

So either 0 OR 1 is installed (cause they're different - difficulty - versions of the same component)

You've changed some of them to:
IF setup exists call somemod.exe's component 0
IF setup exists call somemod.exe's component 1

So both 0 AND 1 get installed :doh: Problem? Yup :D

EDIT: If I'm reading the OP right, you know the problem you had in your first install (running the install.bat again) yes? :) The hang in BGT was for you to enter the BG1 path ;) (because the path the BWP supplied didn't have BG1 in your PC)

So now, we're just debugging your install.bat and not your original problem :cheers:

Edited by Lollorian, 13 January 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#11 Ztartrax

Ztartrax
  • 667 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

If you have any issues following the guide, let me know and I'll try and help, but as Lollorian and Fouinto have said, you have to start from the very beginning.

Hello!

I just want to install the BG II SoA and ToB and the BWP. What do I need?

Patches, fixes and so on and In which order do I install them?

The guide for newbies is good can I do as it says but only skip the BG I?

Next question is: I want to have as many mods as possible and tryed to use the BWS but it said something like "couldnt find the newest links".

/Christian

#12 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Hello!

Yes

Next question is: I want to have as many mods as possible and tryed to use the BWS but it said something like "couldnt find the newest links".

Well, I don't know what you mean by "as many mods as possible" but I suggest you that you DO NOT choose "expert" marked mods.
You can follow this guide and choose S, R and T when he asks you to choose only S and R.
You will have as much mods (without big bug) as possible (you will also have a very hard life with tactics in certain part of the game) :)

You also have to change "c) When you are asked what type of install.. pick Standard..." by "c) When you are asked what type of install.. pick Tactics..."

And you are done.

#13 ShadowTek

ShadowTek
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

Hello!

Yes

Well, I don't know what you mean by "as many mods as possible" but I suggest you that you DO NOT choose "expert" marked mods.
You can follow this guide and choose S, R and T when he asks you to choose only S and R.
You will have as much mods (without big bug) as possible (you will also have a very hard life with tactics in certain part of the game) :)

You also have to change "c) When you are asked what type of install.. pick Standard..." by "c) When you are asked what type of install.. pick Tactics..."

And you are done.

Yeah I just made a tactical install, now that I understand it, I may make a addon for my guide for tactics, I didnt want to speak on "T" mods until I was familiar with the install for them :) But as its not "Newbie" It will be a addon section.

Edited by ShadowTek, 14 January 2012 - 08:40 AM.

My Guides:

Main Stuff for BWP:

Cool Stuff:

#14 Fouinto

Fouinto
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:32 AM

Yeah I just made a tactical install, now that I understand it, I may make a addon for my guide for tactics, I didnt want to speak on "T" mods until I was familiar with the install for them :) But as its not "Newbie" It will be a addon section.

Hi,

I don't blame you ! your documentation is a great tool !
I just want to explain him that he can follow 99% of your guide to reach is aim : as much mods as possible (including tactics mods) .

#15 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

Immediately noticeable changes are the txt checks the install.bat uses to check for stuff and you moving lots of mods from Tactics/Expert to Recommended (along with liberal component changes :P)

- you seem to have changed a lot of IFN stuff to simply IF (those are mod checks and shouldn't be played with (unlike the IFT/IFX stuff)
- you've removed complementary checks from a lot of stuff :o Please make sure what you're changing does things that you want.

There are several instances of this scenario in the install.bat
IF tactics install and setup exists call somemod.exe's component 0
IF not tactics install and setup exists call somemod.exe's component 1

So either 0 OR 1 is installed (cause they're different - difficulty - versions of the same component)

You've changed some of them to:
IF setup exists call somemod.exe's component 0
IF setup exists call somemod.exe's component 1

So both 0 AND 1 get installed :doh: Problem? Yup :D

EDIT: If I'm reading the OP right, you know the problem you had in your first install (running the install.bat again) yes? :) The hang in BGT was for you to enter the BG1 path ;) (because the path the BWP supplied didn't have BG1 in your PC)

So now, we're just debugging your install.bat and not your original problem :cheers:

So I edited the BWI.bat wrong? Is there a specific way to fix that where it won't install everything and just the components I want without messing the installation up? Sorry for the tedious questions but I haven't played it in years and am suddenly itching to.

EDIT: The problem I noticed before was it would get to BP180 and error, I found the error fix in a post on here (forgot which, though, but it was a Feb, 2011 post regarding the issue) and after installing again using a clean install from my backup, it would get down to SCS components, install, and immediately close without me doing anything or prompting me to hit Enter to close the box. Which confused me.

Edited by Onigami, 14 January 2012 - 03:13 PM.

"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#16 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

A tip to remember here is that you can choose an E(X)pert install and it will ONLY install the stuff you have extracted to your BGII folder ;) (so if you don't extract the setup-somemod.exe and its mod folder, it won't install somemod :D)

Another tip, grab a good comparison tool like winmerge - compare your install.bat and an unmodded install.bat from the Installpack and make ONLY the component changes and don't change the IFT/IFX/IFN/IFABCDEFG stuff :lol:

I noticed you blanking the component lines for some mods causing blank ""'s, just comment those lines out by putting in a :: at the start of the line ;)

Just holler if you need any help :cheers: (just thought you might wanna like to do it yourself :P)

#17 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

A tip to remember here is that you can choose an E(X)pert install and it will ONLY install the stuff you have extracted to your BGII folder ;) (so if you don't extract the setup-somemod.exe and its mod folder, it won't install somemod :D)

Another tip, grab a good comparison tool like winmerge - compare your install.bat and an unmodded install.bat from the Installpack and make ONLY the component changes and don't change the IFT/IFX/IFN/IFABCDEFG stuff :lol:

I noticed you blanking the component lines for some mods causing blank ""'s, just comment those lines out by putting in a :: at the start of the line ;)

Just holler if you need any help :cheers: (just thought you might wanna like to do it yourself :P)

I would but some of it is a little... too much for me to understand, like NNR codes and such. Some mods I have conflict with Expert option, I think. Also a majority of the mods don't have all components installed, only some. Also, the "BP180 fix" someone said to put /* at the end, when I do this, it stopped suddenly before installing BP180. Could that be an issue?
"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#18 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:41 PM

At this point I would implore you to dig into your browser history and link to this fix :blink:

About Expert option conflicts, I'm not sure I understand, Expert mode installs EVERY mod in the BWP :P Unless you wanted to install a new mod that isn't a part of the BWP, I can't think of any conflicts :)

#19 Onigami

Onigami
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

At this point I would implore you to dig into your browser history and link to this fix :blink:

About Expert option conflicts, I'm not sure I understand, Expert mode installs EVERY mod in the BWP :P Unless you wanted to install a new mod that isn't a part of the BWP, I can't think of any conflicts :)

I looked for it earlier and couldn't find it to post it in my previous, but since you mentioned History checking (and I should have thought the same thing) here it is: http://www.shsforums...-set-2da-entry/
"Laugh! And grow fat!"
Posted Image

#20 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

I'm sorry to not be of much help about the 2DA stuff (always the 2DA stuff :doh:) but I found a newer thread that implies that whatever it was was fixed in the latest BWPFixpack. Also, that thread you linked is from Feb 2011 - and methinks BPv180 has been updated with that thing :P

Spent ~4 hrs installing the latest BWP and it looks perfect for now :lol: Didn't bork or anything - debug attached :unsure:

Attached Files