• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#101 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 27 June 2012 - 06:42 AM

I really hope this mod makes it to release. Heck, it might end up being ready before my NPC mod is ready, and I don't even want to figure out how long I've been working on it! Stnemele, if at any time you feel inspired to poke at your mod files some more, that might be all it takes to get you interested in further development. If you find that you want it to be completed, but don't see any way you could work it into your schedule, you could always present the concept and existing files to the "Orphan Characters" forum, in case someone else is willing and able to take the reins.

Best wishes!

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#102 Stnemele

Stnemele

The Writer that Helps You Write

• 162 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:02 AM

Not all NPC ideas pan out, but I can't help thinking that part of what killed this idea was too much feedback. You had a lot of people chiming in with their 2 coppers, each of them dampening your enthusiasm little by little. I know, I was one of them, too, so I've got no right to get all analytical now.

Ultimately, we all have the same number of hours in each day, and we all find time to do what we enjoy doing. We don't usually stop until it becomes un-fun, and it sounds like that's what happened to poor Marcos. Maybe it would have been better to just write the darned thing and figure out later what to tweak to make him fit better with the game world. Maybe it would have been better to vet the idea with a smaller focus group who could have offered feedback without becoming overwhelming. Maybe I should mind my own business.

Anyway, if you really have lost interest, these things happen, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to leave the files where they are and come back to them some other time. At the very least, revisiting the files later may provide private amusement (or embarrassment). I look back on a lot of the stuff I wrote years ago and wonder what I was thinking.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do with Marcos, you had fun with the creation process. That has to count for something.

Thanks for the comments, but it actually wasn't feedback. I enjoy feedback and, honestly, rarely get it for my work. Although, the advice of how to tackle the mod was getting to me a little, but since it was from experienced modders, I knew you/they were telling me these things with good reason, it wasn't a damper. It was rather that I work full time and attend school full time, so with all the hours in the day, Marcos was not at the top of my priority list of projects. So, basically, I don't have time for him and won't have time for him until 2015, when I finish school (again).

I really hope this mod makes it to release. Heck, it might end up being ready before my NPC mod is ready, and I don't even want to figure out how long I've been working on it! Stnemele, if at any time you feel inspired to poke at your mod files some more, that might be all it takes to get you interested in further development. If you find that you want it to be completed, but don't see any way you could work it into your schedule, you could always present the concept and existing files to the "Orphan Characters" forum, in case someone else is willing and able to take the reins.

Best wishes!

Thanks. I may put Marcos in there, should I never have the time to come back to him when all is said and done. I have fiddled with him some since I posted the discontinuation of the project. I haven't completely abandoned things and I'll certainly put up any progress I make in here :D

But thanks for the encouragement. It helps to know that people were interested and are willing to help (even if it's by staying out of it) :D
"I've had better conversations with cheese."
--Michael Keaton, "Dream Team"

"I love love-triangles! ... Or squares. Hexagons. Trapezoids. Circles with tangent lines... Geometry aside, where are we?"
-- Cassandra Mewborn, a dead character

#103 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:23 AM

I'd say go for it - even if it takes three years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NPC