Refinements HLA-component and kitted multi-class characters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 01:23 PM

Hi thebigg,

As you may know, there is (and has been for a long time) an incompatibility between the HLA component of Refinements and Lvl1NPCs, if in the latter mod you assign a kit to a multi-class character. For instance, if you were to turn Stivan into a fighter/bounty hunter using Lvl1NPCs, the game would crash when he was able to select his first HLA.

I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to solve this incompatibility somehow in the Refinements mod?

#2 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

The issue happens because the game cannot handle a kitted multiclass when the kit uses a custom HLA table. To solve this I would have to remove kit-specific HLAs, by which poine you could as well not install Refinements.

OTOH, I know it works for some people, so I guess you could try it for yourself with a quick test game and some CLUAing.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#3 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

So...would it not be possible to let kitted multiclass characters choose from both their kit table and their unkitted multiclass table? So in the example of a fighter/bounty hunter, she could choose from regular fighter HLAs as well as bounty hunter HLAs?

#4 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:33 AM

It wouldn't work. I'd have to create a single table for Fighter/Thieves and use the appropriate rules to allow/disallow specific HLAs for each kit, or scrap the idea of per-kit HLAs and give every fighter the same HLAs. Either version is a lot of work, and goes against the explicit wishes of the original mod authors, so I'm not going to do so.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#5 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:31 AM

Hmm...I see. By the way, what about the vanilla multiclass NPCs whose class include a kit? Off the top of my head, Jan comes to mind (illusionist/thief). How does that work with Refinements? And on that note, how do dual-classed characters work? Would there be the same problem with HLAs if one started with a kit and then dual-classed into a base class?

#6 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:51 AM

Dual-classes work, as do Gnomes Illusionist multiclasses. This is one of those "it works for some people but not for others" issues, unfortunately.

#7 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:24 AM

Okay then, thank you for the information. I will see if it works for me. :ermm:

#8 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 05 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Gonna necro here in case anyone's listening.

Is the reason that kitted multiclass characters causes crashes that with Refinements, there is a table for the kit, and a table for the multiclass, and the game can't work out which to use?

If that's so, it implies that it would only cause crashes for vanilla kits. What about a mod kit? A kit that has no HLA table of its own, but defaults to the base class. Shouldn't that simply use the multiclass table?

What about a mod kit that is specifically designed to be a multiclass kit? Maybe it could be coded specifically to use the multiclass HLA table. (I think you can guess where I'm going with this...) Could that work with Refinements?