bg1-character look in bg2

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 -OLO-

-OLO-

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hello folks,

I've decided to start playing BG saga once more after some time. Soon I'll finnish BG1 and will start playing BG2, but there is one thing that is very dissapointing in a sequel. To be honest, for me, all the characters, players and NPCs (avatars?), look like shit in BG2. From the initative screenshots from the very first stage of the game, you can see characters looking like those in BG1, but that have changed later (why?!). Take a look at the pictures here: http://www.planetbal...nshots/initial/ to fully understand what I mean.

I've searched here for some modes and found those that changes paperdolls, shields etc. and I appreciate it since it gives a much better, bg1 look. Is it possible to change characters so they look exactly like those in bg1? I would consider doing this by myself, although I have no idea which tools are needed. First I thought I could ask you.

Thanks.

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

I think what you're looking for is more along the lines of Infinity Animations' component, "Restored Baldur's Gate I character animations". I would give you a link to the readme so you could read up on the component, but the readme section of Spellhold Studios is still down after the recent updates. There are currently some limitations with using the BG1 animations, though. One of the biggest is that they do not support dual-weilding of weapons.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 08:47 AM

What really, are there a big difference between avatars in BG1 and BG2 (presumably BGT uses BG2?)? I've never noticed :o Anybody has a comparison picture lying around? :)

#4 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:55 AM

Thanks a lot Sam for the answer and the link. Shame about that dual-wielding, but it will have to do.

@Dakk There is a difference indeed, good example is when you wear plate armors. After playing BG1 I could never got used to those avatars, they look a little retarded but I guess most of the time people don't care about that much :). There are a lot of screenshots on the net, take a look at the link in my first post and compare those pictures to the present ones.

Cheers.

#5 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

Shame about that dual-wielding, but it will have to do.

I plan on taking care of this but it's going to be a couple more months before I can even start, and working out all weapons for all avatars is probably going to take a very long time. It's not worth waiting for me to make your way through BG2, but just so you know those animation will eventually be dual-wielding ready :)