• Please log in to reply
1123 replies to this topic

#61 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I'm rather surprised to see the tepid response from a lot of people here. I would've thought the revival of Baldur's Gate by a dedicated team who are upgrading the engine and seem genuinely devoted to the spirit of the game and its mod community would be a cause for celebration.

You should see what the rpgcodex community thought about the Enhanced Edition announcement... Oh wait, you probably shouldn't.

#62 Isilven

Isilven

DANNY TREJO, DUKE OF THE WESTERN LOWLANDS

• 1236 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

I understand that this is a necessary step, speculation-wise, as to whether Atari can profit from this series enough to consider extending it. It'd be stupid not to, with some game designers taking a loss to get a game out.

But yeah, I wanted BG3. I admit that. But at the same time, I have to understand that they'd do the logical thing, money-wise.

hlyeo.jpg

Inkosazana

"You just want them to be your panties, you dirty little girl!" -Ilmatar and Kellen
"Endure. In enduring, grow strong." -The Third Circle of Zerthimon

#63 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

I'll wait and see (as ever - !) but the thought of rebuilding FFT's graphics doesn't really appeal at all.

-Y-

#64 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Oh, I share my doubts with Yovaneth! That's nice...

#65 Grunker

Grunker

Prince Charming

• 1240 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

They better not fuck this shit up.
"I've heard people complain that the game [the new Prince of Persia] is too easy, which seems odd to me, since I died more times than The Nameless One in a smoothie-maker."

- Yahtzee

#66 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:19 AM

You should see what the rpgcodex community thought about the Enhanced Edition announcement... Oh wait, you probably shouldn't.

You should not care what rpgcodex thinks, they have their favorites we have ours.

Somehow I have a feeling this is mostly aimed at tabs, that in it self isnt a bad idea. I was hoping to see them port TuTu tough BG1-BG2 as one big game instead of two seperate.
Democracy is three Dragons and a Cow voting on what's for dinner!

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#67 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

Personally, I'm afraid that this is a half-hearted effort just trying to cash in on a great old game rather than a sincere effort to remake the the old saga and improve upon it.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#68 -Miraz-

-Miraz-

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:12 AM

Personally, I'm afraid that this is a half-hearted effort just trying to cash in on a great old game rather than a sincere effort to remake the the old saga and improve upon it.

You obviously haven't been keeping up with Trent Oster's writings. He's the real deal when it comes to preserving the spirit of the game.

Personally, as harsh as this may sound, I'd say to the people who are worried about "their work going to waste" ... to suck it up. This is an amazing thing which could actually even lead to the Holy Grail if we're lucky ... some changes to the base source code of the game which we've wanted for years, and an easier way of creating new mods.

#69 -Creepin-

-Creepin-

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:43 AM

Personally, as harsh as this may sound, I'd say to the people who are worried about "their work going to waste" ... to suck it up. This is an amazing thing which could actually even lead to the Holy Grail if we're lucky ... some changes to the base source code of the game which we've wanted for years, and an easier way of creating new mods.

This might have been the case year or two ago, when we were actually waiting for these source code improvements, but now, as we have TobEX, I'm sure it's not modders who are bound to "suck it up" in this stand vs BGEE.

Personally, my main, if far-fetched, hope is that they might release some semblance of construction kit including 3d-models that were used for creating BG areas. Limited ability to produce locations looking authentically enough to original game remains pretty much the only obstacle for modding community by now.

#70 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

They should give a similar treatment to PS:T Im sure lot of people would be interested in that.

His special enhancement

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#71 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:42 AM

They should give a similar treatment to PS:T Im sure lot of people would be interested in that.

I'd pre-order that one too. PS:T + Kickstarter?

I'm rather surprised to see the tepid response from a lot of people here. I would've thought the revival of Baldur's Gate by a dedicated team who are upgrading the engine and seem genuinely devoted to the spirit of the game and its mod community would be a cause for celebration.

You mean those people who think BG II isn't an RPG at all? Codex, shmodex...

Here's a collection of Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition tidbits gleaned from Trent Oster's twitter feed. I'll summarise, rather than linking and fully quoting each one:

• "There will be two games. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition #bgee=BG+TotSC, bg2ee=bg2+ToB"
  • "new content for the game you love, made by some of the original team members"
  • "…Beamdog exclusive. As for other platforms, tune is same time next week"
  • "We take mods seriously. (I led NWN after all) mods both current and future are important. More announcements to come"
  • "We're using the 2nd Edition D&D rules"
  • "Infinity Enhanced is based off the latest Throne of Bhall codebase"
  • "We're 2D isometric all the way"
  • "We're going to stay with the BG model of only voicing some of the content. We feel it allows for more in-depth writing."
  • "we are trying hard not to break mods"
  • In answer to comparing the look against BG + Widescreen mod: "it will be better. We've got the code to rework the UI and rendering"

Edited by Archmage Silver, 16 March 2012 - 08:55 AM.

#72 ScuD

ScuD
  • 492 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'll buy any remake of the Infinity Engine :rolleyes:

#73 GreyViper

GreyViper
  • 511 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

I find it interesting how may years it has taken to reach this point, considering some of us hoped/wished for this a long time ago. Who knows maybe this has beneficial effect and will bring new fans to sites like this. When it launches maybe do a bit PR for Spellhold in its "official forums"?

His special enhancement

Barracks Graffiti
Sparta Command

#74 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

Baldur's Gate and sequel getting enhanced editions @ Gamespot

#75 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

I find it interesting how may years it has taken to reach this point, considering some of us hoped/wished for this a long time ago. Who knows maybe this has beneficial effect and will bring new fans to sites like this. When it launches maybe do a bit PR for Spellhold in its "official forums"?

PR could help, but if you google "Baldur's Gate mods" SHS comes up pretty high as it is.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 16 March 2012 - 09:48 AM.

#76 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

I agree. Maybe it'll be next...

Someone mentioned a toolset or a way to create new areas. That'd be awesome...

#77 mr fantastic

mr fantastic
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

OMG this is great news, oh yeah :Tasty: can't wait to get my hands on that :Tasty:
I wanted infravison like the elves...But 'tis more than just taking their eyes

-Xzar

#78 SirLancelot

SirLancelot
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:27 PM

Those of you following my bullet-point coverage in the original Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition announcement post will most likely already be familiar with everything that's discussed in GameSpy's brief interview with Overhaul Games' Trent Oster and Cameron Tofer, but it's always nice to get some additional reinforcement to our ever-increasing expectations. New stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories, and new abilities? Yes:

"I think the new RPGs are great, but I don't think they should be a replacement for classic strategic in-depth RPGs like Baldur's Gate," Tofer said. "I think that's what makes Enhanced so relevant: Baldur's Gate hasn't been replaced."

"I would have to say the characters are what makes Baldur's Gate stay in people's hearts," he continued. "Those characters have so much history, passion and caring behind them. I remember D&D sessions with those characters years before we were even game developers. We had so much personal ownership in them."

"I truly believe that the story and the characters behind are timeless and will have no problem reaching a new generation. Technology will be the access barrier that we're hoping to eliminate."

The Enhanced Editions, however, are being billed as "more than mere remakes." So -- beyond visuals that won't send modern gamers fleeing for their snazzy CryEngines that apparently run on electric power instead of hamsters -- what's new?

"We've been adding side stories, stories to tie things together, unfinished stories," Tofer said. "As far as new types of abilities, we have more announcements coming."

Which is, of course, great news, but it's only the beginning. No, Baldur's Gate 3 isn't A Thing just yet, but if Overhaul has its way, it'll only be a matter of time. Tofer explained:

"Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal. We have a lot of things to put in place before such a project can be launched. So currently there is no such project but that's the one we want to do. Our thoughts have been that Enhanced Edition for BG 1 and 2 just make sense before there's any Baldur's Gate 3."

"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems. I think what Brian [Fargo] is doing with Wasteland is very interesting."

Present me with a new Baldur's Gate title that doesn't mess with the satisfying conclusion of the Bhaalspawn storyline and features all of the gameplay elements that made the originals so fantastic, and I'll just transfer my bank account over to Kickstarter.

http://www.gamebansh...-interview.html
Where men gather, a bustle of chaos ensues. I would save them all, if I could.

#79 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

This... does not fill me with hope. The saga ended fine where and when it did. Throne of Bhaal could certainly be fleshed out a lot more, but... sigh.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#80 novision

novision
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

Even ToB sometimes felt like too much of the good thing. Now, a good storyteller would no doubt be able to spin something to add to the end. Only time will tell.