Photo

Completely Lost on Installation

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Can anyone walk me through installation of the BGT mod? I've read through all the readmes and whatnot, but I have no idea how to get it installed. Apparently I'm supposed to extract the install.rar file to the BG2 install directory, however, I do not see this rar file in the zipped file, nor can I locate an 'install' directory within my BG2 folder.

I'm pretty much software illiterate. If I'm missing something obvious, let me know.

I have a clean install of the DnD Anthology on Windows 7. I'm not sure if the mod is compatible with the new package of BG, as everything seems to be written with the old version in mind (option to custom install).

Also, if I do get it working, are XP cap removers compatible with the Trilogy mod?

Thanks for the help.

#2 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hey hey. I feel your pain. :) I can't help you too much because I'm not using Windows 7, and I know the UAC causes shenanigans to happen. However, just for everyone else:

When you say "a clean install of the DnD Anthology" do you mean you bought and downloaded BG1 and BG2 from GOG.com, or you have the DVD version of the Baldur's Gate anthology and are trying to install from a disc?

Also, do you know what the UAC in Windows 7 is? If not, you should at least skim this. The short and simple of it is, whenever you are installing mods, never install them into your Program Files folder, and always install your games and mods logged on as an Administrator. There's more to it I'm sure but someone actually using Win7 should tell you, not me.

I suspect the GOG.com version has a similar folder setup to the disc version, but just for the record, I'm speaking from the point of view of someone who installs from CDs, not from a digital download.

There is no "install" directory, what they mean by that is the directory where the games installed on your computer, whatever that may be called. From a disc installation, Baldur's Gate I is called "Baldur's Gate" and Baldur's Gate II is called "BG2 - SoA" If you have the expansions (Tales of the Sword Coast for BG1, Throne of Bhaal for BG2), they install into those directories as well. If you're using a digital download, your games are patched already. If you're installing from a disc, depending on the version you have, you may have to search around online to fine the last official patches for both BG1 and BG2 and install them. Depending on where you live, it also has to be either the US or International version of the patch, that's especially important for BG1.

Once you slogged through all that and have satisfactory answers, post here again with more questions. Or, someone else may help you out even more before then, too. :-)

#3 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:16 PM

I installed BG (1,2, and expansions, all included) from a physical copy of the Dungeons and Dragons Classic Anthology, not a digital download. http://www.amazon.co...30042311&sr=1-1

I assumed it would be patched up to date, as this is a 'new' release, but I'm not sure.

I did install the game in the Program Files folder, but I should be able to reinstall elsewhere easily enough.

Once I've got everything in the right place, how do I actually begin the install of the mod? This is where I get lost.

Thanks much for the help.

#4 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:41 PM

Just looking at amazon.com, I came up to this:

1) It creates file directories differently than the original disks did
2) It DOES NOT install an essential file, bgate2.mpi

I think you have to post how your file directories are created, to see if it can jive with a BGT (or any other mod) installation.

You also need to find that missing file (google or ask about the forums, maybe someone will pack it up for you) and see if you can get it installed properly into your game.

If you start up your games, load a new one, and then sniff around (I think on the save screen), they should tell you somewhere what version your game is on. BG1 should say, somewhere hidden in a corner of your screen, that it's on version (some numbers plus) 5521. BG2 should say it's on version (some numbers plus) 26498.

If that's all good, we can move on to the Next Step. ;-) If not - and the big problem here might be with your file directory structure - you can still go to GOG.com and get BG1 for something like 10 US dollars, and this weekend only grab onto the special promotion they're doing, where you will get BG2 for free with that purchase. 10 bucks is not bad for a really good game, and it will definitely give you a version of both games that you can mod to your heart's content.

Good luck, and I hope we can help you out a little more. :-)

Edited by Enkida, 23 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#5 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

I reinstalled outside of the program files folder, downloaded the bgate2 file to my BG2 directory, and checked the patches.

BG2 was patched to 26498, BG1 was patched to 5521.

I then downloaded the 5512 patch (was that a typo? looks like you might have edited to 5521).

Problem, is the 5512 patch seems to have mucked things up. BG won't load past the initial start menu, now.

So I suppose I have to reinstall again.

What exactly do you need to know about the directories? Cut and paste kind of thing?

#6 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, my mistake, that was a typo. When in doubt stick to the patch with the higher number. I was copying from the BWP install guide - found here: http://www.shsforums...d-v11-english/. - it is very helpful for walking you through a clean game installation, but you probably don't want to use the tool or 98% of the mods in it if this is your first playthough. I think, but I would have to check against my own install - that there is a typo in the patch number in that guide for BG1. For Bg2, the numbers are right on that. There is a patch 26499, but you do NOT want it!

Just list the folders and subfolders your install creates and we can compare notes.

If you get bored while waiting for assistance, play Torment. I think it comes with your suite and is a crowning jewel of RP in the infinity engine ;-)

#7 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

OT: As for Torment, there is a excellent guide for setting that up at http://thunderpeel20...lly-modded.html. Why don't you give that a try as well?
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#8 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:14 AM

The rar file you were talking about is actually the zip file you have already extracted (which is usually in RAR format); it will contain (perhaps) a folder such as Ascension64-BGT-..., which contains some files such as:
- setup-bgt.tp2
- setup-bgt.exe
and a BGT folder.
You need to extract/copy those files and folder to the BG2 directory and run setup-bgt.exe

I don't think the problems enkida listed can break BGT; it should work on all versions you can find around, provided they're correctly patched, a complete installation has been performed (if applicable) and the baldur.ini is correctly set (that's usually necessary for the older versions, such as the 4cd BG2 and 5cd bg1)

OT: I agree on Torment, it's a really incredible game :Bow: .

Edited by Turambar, 24 February 2012 - 03:19 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#9 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Still haven't played Torment, but I'm planning on it.

I reinstalled (again), and everything, but I cannot locate the setup-bgt.exe file. The tp2 file is there, but no .exe. I downloaded the mod file twice and extracted. Any ideas?

#10 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:39 PM

I assume you have downloaded the BGT v1.14 package from the pinned thread? Do you have any other mod(s) you plan to install? All the setup-modname.exe files are actually the same program (except the version which may vary) so you can use one of them from another mod after renaming it to setup-bgt.exe.
If you only wish to install BGT then fetch v1.13 here, extract it anywhere but not BG2 folder, and move the setup-bgt.exe from that to your BG2 directory. The rest of the files can then be deleted.
Hope this helps
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#11 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

I assume you have downloaded the BGT v1.14 package from the pinned thread? Do you have any other mod(s) you plan to install? All the setup-modname.exe files are actually the same program (except the version which may vary) so you can use one of them from another mod after renaming it to setup-bgt.exe.
If you only wish to install BGT then fetch v1.13 here, extract it anywhere but not BG2 folder, and move the setup-bgt.exe from that to your BG2 directory. The rest of the files can then be deleted.
Hope this helps

Actually, don't get 1.13. Especially if you want Coran in your party (long story). Just get this WeiDU, rename it to setup-bgt.exe, and place it in the Baldur's Gate 2 directory. Extract 1.14 as normal.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#12 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

Erm, I just proposed that solution to fetch a copy of WeiDU; last I checked the WeiDU on weidu.org was really outdated, while the one in bgt 1.13 is 23100.
But it seems the one you linked is good :)
Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#13 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:06 PM

Beleg, your option wouldn't download right, so I downloaded the weidu and tried to run it in my BG2 directory, but I got debug window, or whatever it is.

What does this mean?

#14 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:27 PM

Don't actually run weidu.exe - just rename it to setup-bgt.exe instead, amd place it in your BG2 install directory along side with the bgt mod folder and any other files the mod added. THEN run it.

By the way, I might be wrong about the patching - apparently it may well be that 5512 is needed instead of 5521. 5521 is the Latest OFFICIAL patch for BG1, but I take it some modders still develop for a game with the older patch only, or something like that. Take the BGT readme as your word of law for now, since that is the mod you are installing. ;-)

Ah, also make sure your antivirus is off when you install it, make sure your firewall is blocking the internet when you run it since your antivirus is off, and don't run it with any game discs loaded into your computer.

Edited by Enkida, 24 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#15 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:51 PM

Don't actually run weidu.exe - just rename it to setup-bgt.exe instead, amd place it in your BG2 install directory along side with the bgt mod folder and any other files the mod added. THEN run it.

By the way, I might be wrong about the patching - apparently it may well be that 5512 is needed instead of 5521. 5521 is the Latest OFFICIAL patch for BG1, but I take it some modders still develop for a game with the older patch only, or something like that. Take the BGT readme as your word of law for now, since that is the mod you are installing. ;-)

Ah, also make sure your antivirus is off when you install it, make sure your firewall is blocking the internet when you run it since your antivirus is off, and don't run it with any game discs loaded into your computer.

I figured with the patch, though the 5512 patch I tried wouldn't seem to work.

That said, I did rename the weidu.exe, move it to BG2, and run it.

Won't work.

Also, the readme included does not seem to be helping me at all, ergo this mess right here. Haven't you guys ever herd the term 'user-friendly'?

If anyone has any ideas at this point, feel free.

Thanks everyone, again.

#16 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

We can't help you with this little info, honestly. What happens when you try to run setup-bgt.exe? Please also attach the SETUP-BGT.DEBUG file, if one exists.

#17 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

I figured with the patch, though the 5512 patch I tried wouldn't seem to work.

That said, I did rename the weidu.exe, move it to BG2, and run it.

Won't work.

Also, the readme included does not seem to be helping me at all, ergo this mess right here. Haven't you guys ever herd the term 'user-friendly'?

If anyone has any ideas at this point, feel free.

Thanks everyone, again.

Haha, people are a lot more user friendly here than in official support forums! But I understand what you mean. The problem is the modding community is so huge, so diverse, so international, and so established that it is hard for a "newbie" to get a toe in. It is not that people are rude or write bad readmes, but more I think that a lot of problems that have "obvious solutions" to people who have been modding the games for 10+ years that they forget to mention it clearly to newcomers. Like this patch thing, you would think it would be obvious! It probably is to someone modding for years, but even I am confused about who is right now, heh.

More helpfully: BGT (and ToBEx, a bug fixer that covers things the patches missed) is one of the most carefully maintained BG mods I have seen out there, so don't give up! What I would do if I were you:

- post your bgt debug file, as stated above. If you run setup-bgt.exe and it fails to install, it should create one automatically. You can open it upmwith a text editor or just attach it to your post here.

- Complete uninstall and reinstall BG1. The registry entry for Bg1 on your computer is important somunnstall it the "right" way, don't just delete folders.

- I would say keep your fresh install of BG1 at version 5521. This is what I use and BGT works for me. If the readme says "latest patch for BG1" anywhere then it means version 5521, even if there is no numeral specified. Leave the 5512 patch completely alone for now!

- remember to take strong glass of bourbon in hand as you do this ;-)

#18 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:14 PM

A box pops up that says: SETUP-BGT.EXE.DEBUG queried {-1}.

Naturally, I have no idea what this means.

Debug file attached.

Attached Files

#19 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

when you rename, take out one of the extra .exe

the total file name should look like this

setup-bgt.exe

yours is currently like this

setup-bgt.exe.exe

#20 Vicomte

Vicomte
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

Will do.

When I said 'software illiterate' I meant 'technologically full retard'.