Photo

New favorite multiclass: Cleric/Wild Mage

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:29 PM

When I first played a wild mage, I noticed that I sometimes got a wild surge when I used my Bhaalspawn powers. I thought I'd experiment and see if wild surges happen for any spells a wild mage casts, even if they're not mage spells, so I used Shadowkeeper to add the wild mage kit to a multiclassed cleric/mage. Just as I suspected, I got wild surges on my cleric spells, too, and this is the most fun spellcaster I've ever played. I keep trying to heal my party and Wild Surge: Sexchanging them instead.

Edited by AmyAE, 28 February 2012 - 10:30 PM.

#2 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

I have tried to play a Wild Mage like a dozen times but I always end up quitting and changing to a different class because I found the silly wild surges too frustrating. Either I'm a high level caster that's trying to cast things like disintegration and petrification and instead end up making them become all sparkly...or I'm a low level caster trying to use a magic missiles spell but end up summoning a pit fiend instead.

#3 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:57 AM

But this is exactly why I love wild mages :D

#4 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:18 AM

One of these days, I'll actually have to play one, haha. I want that pit fiend at level 1.

#5 AmyAE

AmyAE
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Accidental demon summoning is definitely the most entertaining negative wild surge.

I only wish NPCs would react to some of the wild surge effects. (Come on, you can temporarily sex change your love interest and they totally don't notice??) I should write a mod for that.

#6 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:01 PM

But this is exactly why I love wild mages :D

Agreed! :wub:

To liven up the wild mage experience, try these two mods:
  • Sovran's The Art of Weaving kits (e.g. Wild Jester!) & spells found within mod RPG Dungeon Kit Pack.

"I gladly simp for jastey" -- Aza
==========================================================
"You ever notice that "What the hell?!" is the answer to just about everything?"
==========================================================

"Girls are like phones, they like to be held and talked too, but if you press the wrong button, you will be disconnected!" DJ Nikodemus
================================================================
Community Contributions
* Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * Shar Nadal (DSotSC-BGT) revision * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls * a directory of Mega-Installation Guides *

#7 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

I only wish NPCs would react to some of the wild surge effects. (Come on, you can temporarily sex change your love interest and they totally don't notice??) I should write a mod for that.

Do it!

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#8 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I admire you guys. I find the concept of the wild mage interesting, but I couldn't even stand the wild magic zones in Watcher's Keep, they were too frustrating!! :lol2: I commend you for sticking with it for an entire game.

But I agree, it would be nice if your companions reacted to the wild surges.
But if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...

Edited by Eleima, 29 February 2012 - 08:56 PM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#9 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

I admire you guys. I find the concept of the wild mage interesting, but I couldn't even stand the wild magic zones in Watcher's Keep, they were too frustrating!! :lol2: I commend you for sticking with it for an entire game.

I played a Wild Jester in a mega-install from beginning of BG1 to Chapter 7 of BG2 (and I plan to finish it to the end of ToB--some day), and it's some of the most fun ever had with this game.

When I started, I already planned for my main character to be a jackass in terms of dialogue responses, and it caused all kind of mischief--and of course lots of fighting!

The wild surges actually saved my party's ass so many times.

I suggest roleplaying either a imbecile/jackass e.g. Wild Jester or Buffoon, or either a tortured-soul or loveable gump wild mage/sorcerer (I once assigned wild mage to Kesley).

Wild surges actually decrease and become more helpful once your character reaches higher level. The mods only make it more so. My character actually got pretty powerful (and subsequently less fun) once he was over Level 20.