Photo

Favorite Baldur's Gate Antagonist

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Favorite Baldur's Gate Antagonist (37 member(s) have cast votes)

Which of the following Baldur's Gate villains was your favorite?

1. Sarevok Anchev (23 votes [62.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 62.16%

2. Joneleth Irenicus (13 votes [35.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.14%

3. Amelyssan the Blackhearted (1 votes [2.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

It's time to settle this once and for all. Post a brief explanation of your reasoning.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#2 Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Corporal Dwayne C. Hicks

Colonial Marine

• 27 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Irenicus was into torture and twisting reality and stuff. Sarevok was just trying to start a huge war, which while evil is at least cool. Also Irenicus uses magic, and magic is stupid. Sarevok can kill you with a sword and armor and pure toughness. I dont know much about Amelyssan but I know she's lame.
Corporal Hicks, Dwayne C. (Serial Number A27/TQ4.0.48215E9)

"well the god we all praise and worship was not aware of his full potential till one fate full night, He was just out of medical school and brought to c-sec prison for the "murder" of some teachers that did not amuse MR.HEART, so what would anyone else do in that situation but murder the infidels. While he was in c-sec he was the one everyone would think would be a good target for there own "plesure" if you know what I mean!!! So people would try to hurt the young salarian, But he put them in there place and he was praised,scum there think they have been through hell but they haven't even made it to the front gate before they met the doctor and one night while his cell mate was sleeping he started to refresh his medical abilities and that was the night where he was blessed by his brother Ardenor crush to clone or "bless" others with a second or multiple organs and the guards figured this out and they went to take the doctor away, but really the doctor had the plan of making his cell mate look like a "god" and look like the doctor so they took the wrong person and the real,hot,amazing,clever,good doctor escaped and for years no one knew he was alive since the cell mate was put to death, but the real doctor could never die ahahahhahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaahahahahahaha"

#3 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:55 PM

Sarevok was way cooler, he was kinda looming over the horizon, sending out assassins, poisoning mines and tying women to railtracks, always a dangerous threat, but out of reach for most time, and Irenicus was popping out every hour to mildly inconvenience you for a moment while spewing ridiculous monologues.
They both were super lame in the books but at least Irenicus didn't spend all his time in bed

Is Amelyssan related to that Melyssan person from Saradush?

#4 -JR-

-JR-

Machete-Wielding Historian

• Modder
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

It's the same person. She was only added as a formality; we all know who this will come down to.

"Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil." - C.S. Lewis

#5 Izzy

Izzy
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

Sarevok was tall, had a deep voice, and was the son a god. That makes him hot. Irenicus was creepy and an ex-elf. There's nothing more embarrassing than being kicked out of a group of tree huggers. Except maybe joining in the first place. The only thing I remember about whats-her-face is that she was loud.

Other than that I vote for Darth Maul.

Ooo, squirells, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!

#6 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

Definitely Sarevok. He was the son of a god, he just wanted to become what he was born to be. Irenicus, on the other hand, already had everything he could, power, respect, love,... and lost it while trying to reach something he had no reason to claim, and failing.
In comparison, Karsus was absolutely better and nobler than him, when he put the whole word at stake inadvertently, when he managed to become god with one single spell, in an attempt to save his own nation and the whole world he knew from the phaerimm.
Sarevok organised everything in a very clean and controlled way, whereas Jon caused pain gratuitously and without reason to everyone, even those he couldn't care about.
Moreover, the return of Sarevok in ToB makes his popularity increase even more.

Concerning the blackhearted, she was the filthiest sort of coward and betrayer

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#7 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Sarevok, because it was personal. He did not view your divine essence as a fountain of youth. He did not view your divine essence as a way to usurp power from a dead god. He wated to kill you. For a variety of interesting and highly personal reasons.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#8 Rhaella

Rhaella
  • Modder
  • 648 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Firkraag. Gotta love a villain who tries to destroy you out of vengeance and then gets bored and tells you to go away.

Conceptually, I can't decide whether I hate or like Irenicus. Is he overdone? Possibly. Is he interesting? Yes. Is he remotely sympathetic...? The supposed tragedy of his story leaves me a bit cold, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I guess I don't like such alien villains in general, though Irenicus almost pulls it off.

#9 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:49 AM

David Warner. Irenicus.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#10 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:00 AM

Sarevok, for me.

Moved this topic to Baldur's Gate gameplay discussion.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#11 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Sarevok. Because he was your brother and family drama is the stuff of history and legend. Irenicus always struck me as something of an overly powerful spoiled child, going after you because he didn't get his way. Sarevok, on the other hand, always issued you some kind of respect, in that he took you seriously as a threat right from the beginning. He had good writing, his diary - even in Vanilla - was compelling in BG1, and he came back better than ever before and even !redeemable! in ToB. Plus he kicks ass and takes names with a big sword, an attitude, and sheer willpower. You have to love a guy who was not a magician but still managed to simply "will" himself back into existence from death once he had the chance.

Amelyssan was never a compelling character. The first time I played ToB I had pegged Melissan as "The Real Bad Guy" right after our first meeting. The only surprise for me by the end of it was that she wasn't one of the Five.

Also: Why is Noober not on this list.

#12 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

I voted for Irenicus, because I always found him frightening, in his determination and single-mindedness to pursue the PC. Plus, I love his VA, David Warner.
Sarevok comes up as a very close second, though.

Edited by Eleima, 03 March 2012 - 10:00 PM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#13 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:24 AM

Irenicus. I feel as though his character is a bit deeper than Sarevok's...and more likable as a result.

Also, his voice actor is awesome.

#14 Lurker of the north

Lurker of the north

Permanently temporary

• 97 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Sarry... he's just cool like that. (For reasons stated above...and more.)

Jon is a spoiled brat, the PC cuts him down coldly, and never looks back.

Amell... who?
...Oh; That uppity priestess something that tries (unsuccessfully) to annoy and distract the PC from his/hers inner struggle (ToB)?
Is she a villain? Why she so mad? Yella?
LotN

#15 Sanctifer

Sanctifer

Anarchiviste

• 137 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Sarevok yeah !

All has been said : his your secret brother, and the way he subtly manages to start a war in order to feel the pain and taste the blood.

Irenicus is good to, but I always thought he was ridiculous...
Not the way he acts or why he does what he does but -call me vain- I think he's really ugly (and not in a good way for a perfect old fashioned antagonist :D )
He just looks like a tall stupid brown s-m android or something
« Regarde moi ces émincés d'oignons, je voudrais tous les enfiler sur une corde pour m'en faire une parure ! »

#16 Vonburen

Vonburen
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

Sarevok, still they could have done great things with Irenicus, shame BG2 plot really turns out to be about the everlasting delusion of a betrayed ex-lover and his sister.
Mae'var was pretty cool as well, as was Firkaag.

#17 devicem

devicem
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:15 AM

Irenicus.

Why? I felt he has a deeper story than that of Sarevok's. I mean Sarevok is pretty cool and wants to become a god and all that, but I felt the struggle of Jon trying to at first deny his gift and his power and then turn it into so much more. Yes, he did fail, but he did it with flair. It's one thing to become a god when you're his progeny, it's another when trying to do it having no relations to said god at all. I believe that if Jon was maybe also one of Bhaal's children, then he would have succeeded, and that the protagonist would have to kill him in order to restore peace or something. Also, love his mask. As if to hide facial expressions beneath it.

And, I'm biased towards magic, so... :D

Edited by devicem, 07 April 2012 - 02:20 AM.

#18 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Between
- It is time for more.. Experiments!
- Your pathetic magics are useless! Let this end!
- You dare to attack me here. Do you even know who you face? You will suffer! You will all suffer!
- You bore me, mageling.
- I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Uderstand this as you die, you ever pathetic, ever fools!
and
- You are perceptive for an old man. Hand over your warn and no one will be hurt. If you resist, it shall me a waste of your life.
- I'm sorry that you feel that way, old man.

I definitely choose the first one.

#19 Cal Jones

Cal Jones
  • Modder
  • 1168 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

This is hard for me. Sarevok is a great antagonist and is definitely more badass, but he's a bit like one of those heel characters in wrestling that everyone ends up rooting for because they are cooler than most of the faces. Irenicus is a better villain in so far as he's a lot easier to despise and a good deal more satisfying to kill. However, Sarevok's boss fight is way harder!
I vote Sarevok but they're both great and memorable antagonists. Smelly Melly doesn't really compare.

#20 Scipio

Scipio

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

• 1790 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:34 PM

Amelyssan is much prettier than the other two.
I did battle with monsters, and they became me, and when I gazed into the abyss, the abyss looked away shyly.
See, it helps not to believe all the stuff that philosophers spout.