• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

Updated: 21 March 2012
Some of the installation issues may have been solved with the BWP v11.1 installer already!

Taking a page out of Suslik's book for BWP v10.3, I thought I'd keep a running commentary of all the bugs I encountered so far on BWPv11 in one place, in this thread. WeiDU.log attached, when I say "custom" install I mean I cherry picked certain mods and chose a "Standard, with all mods included" English-language custom install that includes one or two tactical elements (Ascension, Hard Times), but no actual tactic scripting (SCS, BP, etc) mods. The mods included:

Spoiler

Other info: no ambient sounds running, cache set to 2000, transparent shadows, full windowed, no widescreen mod, playing at 1024x768 res, WinXp OS.

INSTALLATION PROBLEMS
Some of the installation issues may have been solved with the BWP v11.1 installer already!
Spoiler

GAMEPLAY PROBLEMS

- Turambar's drow item contingency: random "You can not cast multiple instances of the same contingency spell on yourself" popping up now and then. The message is the result of the "slow drow item disintegration" tweak.
solution: do nothing, not a critical bug. Future installs: do not include the slow drow weapon disintegration tweak.

- BG1 Gavin / BG1 NPC dialogue duplication: Sometimes Gavin / BG1 NPCs offering duplicated dialogue choices at random, both conversational and PiD choices.
reported, solution: reset strings using "your voice sounds funny" dialogue option

- Sap: Sap (club which knocks NPCs unconscious instead of killing them) doesn't work: NPCs do not ever fall unconscious, but they never die, either
reported, solution: no idea, not critical

- BGSpawn delay: Random area mob spawns show up only after a long wait if at all, and not just the canine mob variety.
reported, solution: none

- NPC / Vanilla music conflict: Custom NPC music plays simultaneously over standard vanilla background music.
reported, solution: turn the music in the game off completely

- Dual class Imoen: Dual classing Imoen @ lvl6 to a mage in BG1 creates an inescapable level up screen loop
solution: strip Imoen of all non-mage equipment before levelling up

- Dual class mage exploit: Dual classing to a mage can potentially lead to an infinite spell selection exploit:
solution: ignore the exploit and do nothing

- BG1NPC Garrick and Ulcaster School quest: If Garrick is not in your party when you return to Ulcaster after receiving this quest, but you had visited Ulcaster beforehand with Garrick in your party, AND he was singing his bardsong, the bardsong will remain activated both in the Ulcaster area as well as the Ulcaster dungeon ruins.
reported, solution: ignore and pretend Garrick's voice is still echoing around the canyon

- Re-located Shar Teel: Shar Teel shows up both on the coast path in her "convienient" location, as well as in basilisk area, her "original" location.
solution: don't recruit her ?twice?

- Hard Times wolf pelt "feature": With "Hard Times" installed wolf pelts at Naskel go for 150gp per pelt. But Bergerost still buys them for 250gp per pelt. Not a bug, just a feature I guess.
solution: sell the pelts where you want to ;-)

- Wild Surges and mod added spells: custom spells added in by mods don't react to wild mage surges. Wild mage surge messages still appear but their affects don't actually take place. Tested with Chaos Shield cast, against TDD spells and vanilla magic missiles.
reported for dsotsc, solution: stop using mod-added spells

- Zurlong's Boots of Stealth reward duplication: If a pair of boots of stealth exist in your inventory, Zurlong will take them, give you his quest reward message, and you will get the quest xp reward and lose the boots, even if you have completed the quest before.
solution: don't talk to / kill Zurlong after completing his quest.

- Monk "Stunning Blow" fist / deafness: If deafened, a monk cannot activate "stunning blow" since it counts as a "spell"
solution: none :-(

- hostile Pelvsdale lake poets: poets turned hostile after a miscast spell from a wild surge. they were neither targetted nor on screen at the time of the casting, and the miscast was not a fireball or other off screen area affect. (dropped cow)
reported, solution: none

- Gavin mistimed morning talks: Gavin will occassionally start "morning breakfast" talks when it's obviously evening after resting. Most recently, he gave a breakfast talk at 1AM game time.

more will come as I note it. For an install this big I am shocked by the lack of bugs and CtDs so far. Much more stable than my non BWP attempts to install more than 1 mod at a time.

Attached Files

Edited by Enkida, 21 March 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

A known delay bug with BGSpawn mod occuring: in random encounters between areas, one has to walk around or wait a really long time before the mob spawns and attacks the group. At the moment I don't find this to be a bad thing for party survivability but once higher levels hit it will be rather annoying. Affects MORE than just canine groups.

Edited by Enkida, 04 March 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#3 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Custom NPC music - Gavin, BG1 NPCs, etc - play simultaneously over standard Bg1 game music, resulting in cacaphony.

#4 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Well here's a rather big one. Patchy "solution" at the bottom.

Imoen hits level 6 -> time to dual class to mage.

Upon getting to the dual class screen, I have the option to pick a weapon proficiency and "0" level 1 mage spells and continue. Continuing results in going back to the dual class screen because I still have "skills" to pick. Again, I pick (the same) weapon proficiency, and now I have 2 level 10 mage spells to pick, except there are no spells listed at all, and the game is frozen because there is no button to go back or continue. Correction: there is a "Done" button however it's unselectable since I haven't yet chosen my 2 "level 10" mage spells. Catch-22.

Switching windows reveals ToBEx spitting out this:

DETOUR_CRuleTables::DETOUR_GetMageSpellRef(): Invalid spell level 10

over 30 times at least.

Further behavioural notes: it only seems to happen when dualling at level 6. Dualing at level 5 works out just fine in my game.

Solution: Level up Imoen. Exit to inventory. Strip Imoen of all non-mage-equippable items. Back to the character screen, dual class. Seems to work without problem then, except for the cheat-exploit in the following post. So I guess it has to do with her wearing non-mage items when dual classing...?

Edited by Enkida, 06 March 2012 - 01:48 PM.

#5 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:38 PM

Here's another nice little bug. Loaded up a much older save game from the same run and dualled Imoen immediately. This time there was no problem picking out 2 level 1 spells from the mage book.

BUT, I hit back after choosing all my options just to test, and re-chose out my weapon proficiency. The mage book now says that I can pick 2 level 1 spells, but still has the original 2 spells I picked highlighted as well. Choosing 2 new spells, exiting out, then re-selecting weapon proficiency and spells again -> now 4 spells are highlighted, and I can choose 2 more.

Instant full level 1 spellbook right there. Something's not deleting the selected choices when cancelling out of the dual-class and then trying to reselect.

#6 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

I had the full spell selection glitch as well, but not the Immy level 6 dual-class spellbook bug - in my semi-mega mod game, Imoen dual classes to mage at thief level 6 just fine. Level 6 is also the same level in Haveron's [sic] FAQ which Imoen is dual-classed. Of cource, he/she duals her to a conjuror, and you can't do that without save hacking.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#7 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:05 PM

It might have come from using Shadowkeeper, actually, because I had used it to switch race and avatars beforehand (my monk was a half-elf but I switched to human because I got annoyed with the elven fighter and wanted the human monkatar). I know SK can introduce bugs when used, so maybe that was it.

Also, I kitted Imoen to a wild mage after the successful post-6 level up. Because you know Imoen is really a wild mage at heart. ;-) We'll see what bugs THAT may introduce.

#8 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:19 AM

Have you tried using NI instead of SK to modify characters? Results might be different, and hopefully better.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#9 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

Hmm, I didn't even know what Near Infinity was until I looked it up. I will have to try it sometime later, but for now I'm trying to keep modifying the characters any more than "necessary" out of my game. ;-)

Next bug report:
I had Garrick in the party when we received a quest for him at Nashkel Carnival to go to Ulcaster. Of course Ulcaster was a level too high for us to deal with on the first visit, so the party fled the area pretty quickly.

On returning to Ulcaster post-level-6, otherwise known as "getting over the hump in BG1", Garrick was no longer in the party, having been replaced by Safana. There were no other bards in the party, yet, on reentering Ulcaster, there is a persistent bardsong affecting the entire party that comes and goes.

At the moment I am chocking it up to Garrick's voice still echoing around the huge canyon from the first visit... :P

#10 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:08 PM

Dialogue stuff:
The Gavin "dialogue duplication" bug is not Gavin-specific: Safana also had sometimes randomly duplicated choices during the PiDs. Still no solution.

At one point while Gavin was initiating flirt-conversation with the PC, I got a "NO VALID STRING RESPONSE" as the message. Right after taking it he initiated another flirt.conversation with no problems. Not a big deal, just making a note. Might have something to do with the duplicated dialogue problem the game is having.

Re-located Shar Teel:
shows up both on the coast path in her "convienient" location, as well as in basilisk area, her "original" location. I haven't and don't plan to try recruiting her at all in this game, so I couldn't tell if I would get 2 Shar-Teels in the game or not.

This one is not a bug but an incongruity:
With "Hard Times" installed wolf pelts at Naskel go for 150gp per pelt. But Bergerost still buys them for 250gp per pelt. Not a bug, just a feature I guess.

Edited by Enkida, 07 March 2012 - 02:15 PM.

#11 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Doesn't Gavin and BG1NPC allow you to fix dialog strings by talking to them and saying their voice sounds weird? Try that and see if it helps.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#12 -shadow-

-shadow-

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

how bout this nastiness. when creating a character or leveling up, there is never new weapon proficiencies that i can take. new amount to add always equals 0. I used the cheat to add 14 mill exp and still no new weapon pros given. anyone encounter this?

p.s. i had to install bgt manually as well.

#13 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Please don't post about the same issue in two diffrent topics.

Anyway, can I see your WeiDU log for help? Your installation may be screwed up, but I'd like to see the log first.

#14 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

edit: oops - please delete mods

Edited by William Imm, 18 March 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#15 -shadow-

-shadow-

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

my bust. the other thread was my original posting pages. But this post looks more akin to my issues. I would love to attach both wiedu and install logs to this post. How so i do that? I dont see an option to do so anywhere. Is it because i am only a guest?

#16 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:39 PM

Register, and you can start uploading things.

#17 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

Erm, back on the original bug list:

WILD MAGE SPELLS - at least for Imoen, whom I kitted to WM:
one of the mega mods adds in custom spells at all levels. When using one of the "custom" spells rather than default vanilla spells, you still get wild surges, but they do nothing. For example I got the "cast 4 times in a row" surge, plus the "oops, sex change!" surge while casting a custom spell, and Imoen neither generated a gem in her inventory (one of the 4x effects) nor had a sex change.

We had another battle and I stuck to casting reckless dweomer magic missiles instead, and Imoen successfully dropped a cow and gave herself the hiccups.

So it's a custom spells don't react to wild mage surges thing. Ah, the low level chaos shield had been cast before both instances of wild surging, not that I think it would make a difference. Yet another reason I wish magic and cleric spells were opt-in rather than mandatory for the big mods...

Edited by Enkida, 18 March 2012 - 03:11 PM.

#18 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:05 PM

Just noticed, from the Infinity Animations suite, ianinja never installed, even though I have Angelo installed. I was assuming the fixpack would do it for me, but it didn't. Solution: if ever doing this again, manually insert after werebear animations.

Actual gameplay bug: Zhurlong's boots of stealth quest in BG1: he gives you xp for completing the quest if you talk to him with a pair of boots of stealth in your inventory. Since you can get more than one pair of boots of stealth in the game and he has no check against his quest being completed, it's a bug that can cause you to lose your extra boots of stealth.

#19 -shadow-

-shadow-

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:43 PM

okay,hate to post this here, but dont see how else to do it given the circumstances. so, i created an account so i could upload my wiedu and install logs, but i never got a verification email (been waiting for days), i hit the button to have the verification resent, still never got it (checked spam etc.) I sent an email to the moderator link and it gets bounced back (kae@spellholdstudios.net). I had to post as a guest, cause as my member log in, sans a validation email, i am allowed to do nothing. I cant even view or post to the staff to address the issue. can whoever sees this please, if you are a staff member please validate me. My user name is alezaleg.

#20 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:57 AM

okay,hate to post this here, but dont see how else to do it given the circumstances. so, i created an account so i could upload my wiedu and install logs, but i never got a verification email (been waiting for days), i hit the button to have the verification resent, still never got it (checked spam etc.) I sent an email to the moderator link and it gets bounced back (kae@spellholdstudios.net). I had to post as a guest, cause as my member log in, sans a validation email, i am allowed to do nothing. I cant even view or post to the staff to address the issue. can whoever sees this please, if you are a staff member please validate me. My user name is alezaleg.

No - make a completly new topic about this - don't post in any other topic.