Photo

Overhauling the importation of German audio files from BG1 (plus Ike)

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

I am happy to announce that I have put together another contribution for BGT. I've been working on this overhaul infrequently, starting last year with BGT v1.12. The proposed changes are now based on the current version 1.15 pre-1 from GitHub.

The German setup of BGT needs an update regarding the extraction and provision of audio resources from BG1. This overhaul is necessary because currently, the BGT setup does not adequately handle the known issue of missing sound files in the German version of BG1. Previous findings about this infamous problem are largely outdated by my research! Consequently, this overhaul is about adjusting the way BGT handles the missing sounds issue, given my new findings. I have re-examined the whole problem, both in general and with respect to BGT. I will first explain the issue and its relevance for BGT, then I will come to the overhaul itself.

The underlying issue is the following: In a full install of the German version of BG1, a couple of German sound files are missing if TotSC and the patch v5512 have been installed. Before installing TotSC and the patch, the sounds in question are present in the game, either located within their appropriate BIFs or - in the odd case of MONTR19.wav - placed in the Override folder. Starting from this pre-TotSC/pre-patch state, if you now install TotSC, all German sounds in question that used to be in the BIFs are dropped into Override, and the files inside the BIFs are replaced with the corresponding English versions (!) of those sounds. Plus MONTR19.wav is simply deleted from Override, thereby leaving the English version of it (inside another BIF) as the only available version of that particular sound in the German game. When the patch v5512 is installed on top of this, things get even worse: All the proper German files that were previously dropped into the Override folder are now removed even from there (same as with MONTR19.wav), thus leaving behind the final setup of German BG1+TotSC+v5512. This final setup now lacks these German sounds entirely and only has the English counterparts available in the BIFs. The reason for any of this bizarre behavior is unknown to me. Contrary to what the BWP instructions are suggesting, this issue is exclusive to the German version of BG1 only. More details about how my findings differ from the traditional take on the problem can be found in this post in the BWP forum.

In order to understand what this issue implies for BGT, we need to look at the specific sounds that are affected. Through my investigation, I've come up with the following table. It lists all the German audio resources that are missing in a full install of BG1+TotSC+v5512. It also details the findings from the previous paragraph: You can read the table from left to right to track what happens to each file as TotSC and the patch are installed. Please also note that two of the listed missing sounds - ERROR01.wav and ERROR10.wav - are not relevant for BGT because these two sounds are present and working in BG2, as I have noted accordingly in the table. I've only included them for the sake of completeness.

table.jpg

So, what happens during the BGT setup with respect to these sounds? Let's look at the relevant code from setup-bgt.tp2, that is, the segment entitled "Sounds: Import from BG1". I'm only showing the code related to the missing sounds, and the German-specific part from further down that section.

[...]
AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest [...] error.*wav~
[...]
AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest intro01f.wav intro02f.wav [...]~
[...]
AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest [...] montr.*wav [...]~
[...]
AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest [...] tscna.*wav [...]~
[...]
ACTION_IF ("%WEIDU_OS%" STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~win32~ = 0) BEGIN
  AT_NOW ~bgt\install\win32\delwav.bat %debug%~ EXACT
END ELSE BEGIN
  AT_NOW ~sh bgt/install/unix/delwav.sh~
END

[...]

ACTION_IF ( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~german~ ) = 0 THEN BEGIN
  AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest guarr.*wav chant.*wav oghma03.wav oghma04.wav~
  AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest intro01.wav intro02.wav~
  AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest gnome.*wav gnomf.*wav wench.*wav~
  LAM bash_log
  COPY + ~bgt/language/german/montr19.wav~ ~bgtwav/montr19.wav~
         ~bgt/language/german/tscna02.wav~ ~bgtwav/tscna02.wav~
  ACTION_BASH_FOR ~%bg1_dir%/override~ EVALUATE_REGEXP ~^\(tscna0.*\|error.*\)\.wav$~ BEGIN //this should work
        COPY + ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ ~bgtwav~
  END
END

As you can see, the setup initially extracts all sounds in question from the BIFs (and deletes redundant files, including ERROR01.wav and ERROR10.wav). This means that at this point, the extracted sounds are the English ones. The ACTION_BASH_FOR command in the German-specific segment then tries to remedy this. However, the command only works if the missing TSCNA and ERROR sounds were placed in the BG1 Override folder beforehand, i.e. if the given BG1 install was additionally modified. If that is not the case, then the ACTION_BASH_FOR command doesn't copy anything, because the missing German sounds are not present in the Override folder. Only the direct copying of MONTR19.wav and TSCNA02.wav from the German subfolder of BGT actually works out. Plus the command extracting INTRO01.wav and INTRO02.wav also does remedy the absence of INTRO01F.wav and INTRO02F.wav, though only as part of the foreign language compatibility workaround in collaboration with further adjustments at other places in the setup. But all remaining BG1 sounds from the table above would be in English.

So much for the issue at hand and its effect on BGT. Needless to say the setup's current attempt to resolve the problem using the ACTION_BASH_FOR command is inadequate. I understand it does work in conjunction with BWP, because BWP simply makes the player prep the BG1 install accordingly, but not every player uses BWP, so that's not a universal solution. (Plus, BWP's overall approach to the issue is majorly flawed and should be deprecated, see my posting again for details). On the other hand, if you leave BWP aside, the BGT setup currently requires every German player to individually place all missing sounds in the BG1 Override directory before installing BGT. This is quite a leap of faith, since BGT cannot expect all German users to even know about those missing sounds, let alone to understand how to prep their BG1 install. Instead, the BGT setup must resolve this problem on its own, without depending on user action or on BWP. Consequentially, the actual, universal solution to the whole issue is the following: Since the missing German files cannot be extracted from the default BG1 install, they must be provided by BGT itself, as it is already done with MONTR19 and TSCNA02 at the moment. This also makes the entire workaround for INTRO01F and INTRO02F obsolete. All 21 files that are marked as "missing" in my table above need to be delivered with BGT. MONTR19 and TSCNA02 already are, and I have gathered the 19 remaining files by grabbing them from a pre-TotSC/pre-patch install.

Before I get to the implementation of this solution, let me just quickly throw in another issue that will be resolved as well. It is about Ike's German soundset. In BG1, there are six audio files pertaining to Ike. Of those six files, BGT only imports one (IKEEE_04.wav), because the five other sounds are present in BG2, located in the Override folder. However, in the German version of BG2, these five sounds are broken/mute (same as with guarr.*wav etc.). Therefore, the BGT setup must additionally extract these five German sounds from BG1 and put them into BG2 Override to replace the mute ones. I'm guessing they should then be moved from Override to BGTWAV as well, given that all sounds extracted from BG1 are regularly biffed into BGTWAV.bif.

Finally, here's the complete overhaul as described. It fully remedies the issue of the missing German BG1 sounds, it cuts the now-superfluous workaround for the German version of INTRO01F and INTRO02F, and it restores Ike's full German soundset. The overhaul consists of steps 1 to 4.

1. Provision of the missing German BG1 sounds
As I said, I have gathered the missing sounds using a pre-TotSC/pre-patch install of BG1. The 19 files from this attachment Attached File  BG1Snds.rar   2.67MB   199 downloads are to be placed into bgt\language\german. Together with the already present montr19.wav and tscna02.wav, there should now be a total of 21 wave files located in the directory - exactly the "missing" ones. If the directory seems too cluttered with all the wave files, they can go into a new subfolder (see note on step 2b).

2. Adjustment of setup-bgt.tp2
The code needs to be changed to install all the provided audio files and extract Ike's sounds from BG1. Furthermore, since the proper German versions of INTRO01F.wav and INTRO02F.wav are being provided now, the language compatibility workaround for the German strings #15879 and #15880 is no longer needed. Going from top to bottom, there are two sections to be adjusted:

a) Section "Foreign language compatibility":
The language ~german~ is now included when regularly importing the BG1 strings #15879 (uses INTRO01F) and #15880 (uses INTRO02F). Only the special string setting for #8918 remains as a language fix for German. Please replace the entire section with the following code.

/////////////////////////////////
// Foreign language compatibility

ACTION_IF (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~castilian~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~czech~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~english~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~german~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~international~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~italian~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~korean~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~polish~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~russian~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~schinese~ ) = 0) OR
          (( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~tchinese~ ) = 0) THEN BEGIN
  STRING_SET ~15879~ @15879
  STRING_SET ~15880~ @15880
END

ACTION_IF ( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_COMPARE_CASE ~french~ ) = 0 THEN BEGIN
  STRING_SET ~10898~ @10898 //Warder
  STRING_SET ~11026~ @11026 //Warder
  STRING_SET ~15879~ @300000
  STRING_SET ~15880~ @300001
END

STRING_SET ~8918~ @300029
END

b) Section "Sounds: Import from BG1":
Only the German-specific part of the sound import section is changed. See original code further up this post for comparison. The command extracting intro01.wav and intro02.wav is no longer needed and therefore removed. All the provided wave files are now copied from bgt\language\german to the BGTWAV folder. Finally, Ike's five mute sounds in Override are first backed up (using placeholder.txt), then his working German sounds are extracted from BG1 to Override, thereby replacing the mute ones, and subsequently are moved to BGTWAV. Please replace the German-specific part of the section with the following code.

AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest guarr.*wav chant.*wav oghma03.wav oghma04.wav~
  AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest gnome.*wav gnomf.*wav wench.*wav~
  LAM bash_log
  ACTION_BASH_FOR ~bgt/language/german~ ~^.*\.wav$~ BEGIN
    COPY + ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~ ~bgtwav/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~
  END
  ACTION_BASH_FOR ~override~ ~ikeee_0[12356]\.wav~ BEGIN //to create backups
    COPY ~bgt/placeholder.txt~ ~%BASH_FOR_FILESPEC%~
  END
  AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out override --biff-get-rest ikeee_01.wav ikeee_02.wav ikeee_03.wav ikeee_05.wav ikeee_06.wav~
  LAM bash_log
  MOVE + (~override~ ~ikeee_0[12356]\.wav~) ~bgtwav~
END

Note: If the 21 wave files have been put into a subfolder, then ~bgt/language/german~ must be substituted by ~bgt/language/german/subfolder~ accordingly.
Note2: If someone can provide a more elegant way for handling Ike's sounds, please go ahead.

3. Adjustment of the German setup.tra
I updated the file to complete the removal of the superfluous workaround for INTRO01F and INTRO02F. Since #15879 and #15880 are being imported from BG1 now (step 2a), the strings @300000 and @300001 are no longer needed. I also used this opportunity to update and revise many other strings and comments. Please replace the old setup.tra at bgt\language\german with the new file from this attachment: Attached File  setup.tra   22.1K   327 downloads

4. Update of the Developer's Documentation
I have found only one paragraph that would need an update due to the overhaul. In section 1d, the last bullet point should now say: "Foreign language compatibility strings: one German string and four French strings do not correspond..."

----- End of submission -----

That's it. Though I have tested the entire overhaul locally and it works flawlessly for my install, I wouldn't mind some double-checking. I'd be glad to see this get implemented.

Edited by -Hurricane-, 18 March 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#2 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

Actually the French version of BG1 has the exact same issue as the German edition regarding the missing sounds and the cause thereof.
Until now, I didn't pay attention to the MONTR19.WAV file but it's also in English in the French version. I didn't realize that when I made the "Missing French sound files" archive back in 2002! I only focused on the files I could retrieve from the Override directory of version 1.3.5511, before installing the 1.3.5512 patch (also available on the TotSC CD), hence the unnoticed MONTR19.WAV file.

My uneducated guess is that this issue is caused by the International version of 1.3.5512 patch. It may only impact German and French, since I think someone mentionned there were no Italian voices in BG1 in the BG1 UB forum, and TotSC was not translated in Spanish (or was it just so badly translated that ClanDlan decided to translate it?).

A few years ago, when I mentionned the issue, Ascension64 proposed to include the French missing files in BGT. However Anomaly spotted the missing MONTR19.WAV file and got it included in BGT as well. The list could be reduced a lot since most ERROR files are not used in BG2, and some others as well. Save for ERROR01 and ERROR10, the others do not seem to be used in BG2.
Although these ERROR files are in English in my installation of BGT in French, I never heard any of those sounds in a BGT game. I believe you can safely ignore them.
You can check the French directory in BGT: there are only 3 sound files remaining. They may be enough for german too. No need to overweight the BGT archive with sounds that are not used.

#3 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Good to see you reporting on the French version as well, Isaya. You are probably right about the international patch.

It's funny you know. When I investigated the problem, I also compared the German BGT setup to the French one. When I noticed the three wave files in the French directory and the corresponding code in the tp2, I already suspected that the French version might be similarly affected. But just to be clear: Are you sure that the handling of each of the 23 files from my table occurs exactly in the same way as I have described it, from pre-TotSC to post-patch? And, if the missing sounds problem really is identical, can you confirm that the language compatibility workaround for intro01f and intro02f could be discontinued for French as well, given my new solution?

As for other language versions, I can't tell exactly. But I'm certain that the Spanish version has their own localized sounds, because I listened to them on some occasion. Which begs the question: Which (international) languages are also affected by the problem, other than French and German? In any case, it's better to first tie up the fix for the German (and French) version, and then we can ask around and see whether the solution has to be adopted for other versions as well. For any Italian/Spanish/etc. player reading this, it would be helpful if you could report on your version.

About which files to provide ...

The list could be reduced a lot since most ERROR files are not used in BG2, and some others as well. Save for ERROR01 and ERROR10, the others do not seem to be used in BG2.
Although these ERROR files are in English in my installation of BGT in French, I never heard any of those sounds in a BGT game. [...] No need to overweight the BGT archive with sounds that are not used.

I've made the same observations about those unused sounds, and I agree completely with the notion that they are not needed. However, my rationale behind providing them is that the English setup of BGT imports them in the first place. The German setup merely follows this lead using the localized sounds.
Hence, instead of just not providing the localized versions of those files, it would be better to not import any ERROR files at all, not even the English ones, since you have correctly pointed out that they are never used anyway. Therefore, I vote for replacing this line

AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest dunkn.*wav durly.*wav dynah.*wav eldot.*wav eltan.*wav emers.*wav entar.*wav error.*wav~

with this line:

AT_NOW ~%quote%%WEIDU_EXECUTABLE%%quote% --noautoupdate --no-auto-tp2 --logapp --log bgt/bash.debug --game "%bg1_dir%" --out bgtwav --biff-get-rest dunkn.*wav durly.*wav dynah.*wav eldot.*wav eltan.*wav emers.*wav entar.*wav~

The solution for the missing sounds is to be adapted accordingly: Simply disregard all ERROR files from the missing sounds package. This means we are down to only five sounds. :)
INTRO01F.wav
INTRO02F.wav
MONTR19.wav
TSCNA01.wav
TSCNA02.wav

---------------------

Btw, Isaya, did you have a look at Ike's French BG2 sounds, perhaps? Just checking, in case there are even more similarities...

#4 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

Sorry Hurricane, I didn't read all your initial post in detail. I'll have to check for Ike's sound. I overlooked that point.

Regarding INTRO01F and INTRO02F, I believe it's the same as in German. We need these file names in BG1 in French too (that's their names in the references in the dialog.tlk file).
After checking an English dialog.tlk for TotSc, I also noticed it was referencing the sounds with the final F in the name. Even the bg1.tra in bgt/install/english is using these names. So I have no clue why the names have been changed to remove the F in BGT.

Please allow me a few more days before answering as I have very few time this week, and I need to make a new BG installation in order to check each step for the missing sound files as you did.

#5 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

Sure. Take your time. :) I'm hoping the next official update to BGT isn't too far away, but I'm all for fixing the whole missing sounds problem both for the German and the French version at once, now that we're at it. Certainly, any time you need to evaluate the issue is well spent.

The references to intro01f and intro02f are not changed for BGT English, only for German and French. This is due to the language compatibility workaround, which tries to circumvent the fact that intro01f and intro02f belong to the missing sounds. That's why the German setup.tra and the French setup.tra have the additional strings @300000 and @300001, which are referencing intro01 and intro02 (sounds which are identical to intro01f and intro02f, except they are not missing), instead of using the strings 15879 and 15880 from BG1, which are referencing intro01f and intro02f. The point is that due to my solution of the entire missing sounds issue, the whole workaroung with intro01 and intro02 isn't necessary anymore, because intro01f and intro02f are being provided now. You will understand once you have time to thoroughly peruse my whole posting (including the submission part). :)

Edited by -Hurricane-, 20 March 2012 - 04:55 PM.

#6 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:36 AM

To fix the incorrect English voice, I had to provide MONTR19.wav from an unpatched TOSC. Regarding INTRO01* INTRO02*, using the default importation BGT was using an English version of the introduction which is apparently delivered in the French version of BG1, however the French version was also present in BIF, but with "F" at the end (or removed, I don't remember). We had to change that, but there was no need to provide the files.

The TSCNA* files were not provided by me, they are the TOSC screens IIRC, from an unpatched TOSC.

I have no idea what's exactly the issue with INTRO01* INTRO02*, but for MONTR19 and TSCNA*, it's the way the 5512 patch remove everything from override, including the translations that were not in BIF, like Isaya said.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#7 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

Thanks. This confirms that the German missing sounds issue is exactly identical in BG1 French. Which means the initial post of this thread is equally valid for the French version (except regarding Ike, probably).

Regarding INTRO01* INTRO02* [...] We had to change that, but there was no need to provide the files.

I know, but again, that's my point: The BGT setup wouldn't have to use intro01 and intro02 (as it is now) if the F-files were provided in the first place, and since some of the missing files are already provided anyway, why not include the missing intro01f and intro02f as well? :)
In other words, we wouldn't need the big language compatibility workaround if the F-files were provided. I have made that clear in the initial post.
Check out my submitted step-by-step solution: For the German version, I'm providing the German F-files now (step 1), so that the workaround can be abolished altogether (steps 2a and 3). I'm saying this is a better solution than the current workaround.

#8 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'll have a look at the Italian version, when I have time.
As you suggested, in case different files have to be provided for different languages, all audio files which have to be provided separately could be placed into a folder such as bgt/language/%LANGUAGE%/wav, and the .tp2 could, after installing all other audio files, use (without an ACTION_IF check for the language):
ACTION_BASH_FOR ~bgt/language/%LANGUAGE%/wav~ ~^.*\.wav~ BEGIN
END
That would make it easier to add new corrections to new languages, without needing to edit the .tp2 every time, and would still ignore languages which don't need fixes.

If the wav files are too heavy, they could be compressed into oggs (there are many mods which do that), and decompressed with an AT_ action.

Edited by Turambar, 24 March 2012 - 07:40 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#9 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~bgt/language/%LANGUAGE%/wav~ ~^.*\.wav~ BEGIN
END
That would make it easier to add new corrections to new languages, without needing to edit the .tp2 every time, and would still ignore languages which don't need fixes.

Good point, nice streamlining. I like it. :)

If the wav files are too heavy, they could be compressed into oggs (there are many mods which do that), and decompressed with an AT_ action.

True, but I was hoping to avoid this. Admittedly, it's a perfectly viable method, but it does require another exe and bat file to be shipped with BGT and be part of the setup, and I wasn't comfortable with making that kind of change to the install process.

Given what we've found out so far, there would merely be a handful of WAV files to be newly added to the package:
For German, montr19 and tscna02 have been in the package the whole time, and we'd only add three more files (intro01f, intro02f, tscna01).
For French, montr19, tscna01 and tscna02 are already there, and we'd only add two more files (intro01f, intro02f).

I'm not stubbornly against using ogg files, but for now I don't see the necessity yet. I'd like to hear what Ascension has to say about it.

#10 Isaya

Isaya
  • Modder
  • 294 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

I checked the situation of the sounds removed by the 5512 patch.

Without TotSC, as in German, the files are in French in the BIF file, except for MONTR19.WAV, which is provided in the Override.

It seems the first version of TotSC released in French was 1.3.5511. It had many WAV files in the Override, to cover the files being in English in the BIF file replaced by TotSC (exactly as in German). There were a few unneeded WAV files as well, as some were not used or already in French in the BIF file.
All in all, I reach the exact same conclusion as your table regarding the files in BG1 and TotSC (except for files provided by BGT, of course).

For French, montr19, tscna01 and tscna02 are already there, and we'd only add two more files (intro01f, intro02f).

In French (TotSC), INTRO01.WAV (BIF file) has the same content as INTRO01F.WAV in Override, and it's the same for INTRO02.WAV and INTRO02F.WAV.
So adding the INTRO01F.WAV and INTRO02F.WAV to BGT is not really required, as INTRO01.WAV and INTRO02.WAV could be extracted from the TotSC BIF file and then renamed.

Regarding the files not extracted by BGT assuming they were already in BG2, the situation is slightly different from German:
  • GUAR* are the same in BG2, so they don't need to be extracted from BG1
  • IKEEE* are wrong (no sound) and IKEEE_04 is missing, so they should be extracted from BG1

#11 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:38 PM

Without TotSC, as in German, the files are in French in the BIF file, except for MONTR19.WAV, which is provided in the Override.

It seems the first version of TotSC released in French was 1.3.5511. It had many WAV files in the Override, to cover the files being in English in the BIF file replaced by TotSC (exactly as in German). There were a few unneeded WAV files as well, as some were not used or already in French in the BIF file.
All in all, I reach the exact same conclusion as your table regarding the files in BG1 and TotSC (except for files provided by BGT, of course).

Thank you for checking it all out! :) Given your confirmation, I have reworked the tp2 code to deal with the French version accordingly (see further down this post).

In French (TotSC), INTRO01.WAV (BIF file) has the same content as INTRO01F.WAV in Override, and it's the same for INTRO02.WAV and INTRO02F.WAV. ...

... the same goes for the German version, yes ...

... So adding the INTRO01F.WAV and INTRO02F.WAV to BGT is not really required, as INTRO01.WAV and INTRO02.WAV could be extracted from the TotSC BIF file and then renamed.

I feel stupid. That's the best solution, way better than mine, hands down! :) And better than the current workaround. Thank you. We'll do it this way.

Regarding the files not extracted by BGT assuming they were already in BG2, the situation is slightly different from German:

• GUAR* are the same in BG2, so they don't need to be extracted from BG1
  • IKEEE* are wrong (no sound) and IKEEE_04 is missing, so they should be extracted from BG1

Got it. This means the solution for Ike's files needs to be applied to BG2 French as well.

---------------

I took the liberty of reworking the overhaul. :)
- The missing ERROR* sounds are not considered relevant for BGT anymore.
- The French version gets fixed.
- Instead of providing the missing INTRO0#F files, the working INTRO0# files are extracted and renamed.
- Thus, the only remaining missing files to be provided by BGT are MONTR19, TSCNA01 and TSCNA02.

1. Provision of the missing sounds

a) French: No additional sounds required. All three missing files are located in bgt\language\french.
b) German: Only TSCNA01 is still missing and relevant. The file is to be added to bgt\language\german. Attached File  tscna01.WAV   1.52MB   216 downloads
c) Other languages: pending.

2. Adjustment of setup-bgt.tp2
Again, from top to bottom.

a) Section "Chapters: Textscreen text":
Since both French and German can use the original BG1 strings #15879 (uses INTRO01F) and #15880 (uses INTRO02F) now, the importation of those two strings does not need to be outsourced to the language compatibility section anymore. The "Chapters" section is changed to regularly import the BG1 strings.

////////////////////////////
// Chapters: Textscreen text
////////////////////////////

//STRING_SET ~11898~ Exists:'The dawn is especially cool...'
//STRING_SET ~11899~ Exists:'You will not last long...'
STRING_SET ~15836~ @15836
STRING_SET ~15837~ @15837
STRING_SET ~15838~ @15838
//STRING_SET ~15839~ Exists:'You have dealt a great blow...'
STRING_SET ~15840~ @15840
STRING_SET ~15841~ @15841
STRING_SET ~15879~ @15879 /* INTRO01F, French and German use renamed INTRO01 file */
STRING_SET ~15880~ @15880 /* INTRO02F, French and German use renamed INTRO02 file */
STRING_SET ~15896~ @15896
STRING_SET ~15898~ @15898
STRING_SET ~16190~ @16190
STRING_SET ~16214~ @16214 /* Welcome to Candlekeep text */

b) Section "Foreign language compatibility":
Due to a), the section doesn't need to deal with the strings 15879 and 15880 anymore. Therefore, the code is shortened considerably.

// Foreign language compatibility

ACTION_IF ( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~french~ ) THEN BEGIN
  STRING_SET ~10898~ @10898 //Warder
  STRING_SET ~11026~ @11026 //Warder
END

ACTION_IF ( ~%LANGUAGE%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~german~ ) THEN BEGIN
  STRING_SET ~8918~ @300029
END

c) Section "Sounds: Import from BG1":
- The importation of the ERROR* sounds is axed, because these sounds are never used.
- I moved the single command for extracting ikeee_04.wav into the main extraction segment (just a cosmetic change).
- The command extracting intro01f and intro02f is reworked to account for the French/German setup: Since WeiDU doesn't let you MOVE files if the destination file is already present, I can't extract the F-files normally and then rename the non-F-files using MOVE. Therefore I had to make the extraction of the F-files language-specific.
- The French and German segments at the end of the section are changed to take care of the remaining missing sounds and Ike's soundset.
- If other languages are similarly affected, some commands need to be adjusted accordingly.
- Due to the various changes, I'm posting the entire section.

Spoiler

d) delwav.bat and delwav.sh
Related to the modified tp2: In the two delwav files (at bgt\install\win32 and bgt\install\unix), the command for deleting ERROR01.wav and ERROR02.wav is redundant now that none of the ERROR* sounds are imported from BG1 anymore. I changed the files accordingly.
Attached File  delwav.rar   539bytes   151 downloads

3. Adjustment of setup.tra
My remarks in the initial posting are still valid. Please use the new German setup.tra attached there.
The French setup.tra can now be adjusted in the same way as well, that is, the unused strings @300000 and @300001 can be removed. It's a simple adjustment. I'm not uploading the updated file though, because I don't want to tamper with the tra files of other languages.

4. Update of the Developer's Documentation
The last bullet point in section 1d should now say: "Foreign language compatibility strings: one German string and two French strings do not correspond ..."

---------------

Tested locally with the German setup. Isaya or Anomaly, could you run a test with the French version please?

#12 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

Included in local copy. Will need testing.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#13 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:04 AM

Thanks for including. I see some of my changes to the tp2 are slightly different in your GitHub build, but that's fine as long as it works.

Incredibly tiny error in dev.doc: One German strings - minus the s.

Concerning testing: I tried to install 1.15 pre-2 and it stops very early right after giving the answer to the Biffing question. I type n or y (doesn't matter), I hit Enter, and when the bash.debug gets updated, the command window displays "syntax error". The setup tries to continue with extracting the creatures from TotSC, but after creating the bg1cre folder, I get a Windows prompt saying "please insert disc" (I remove any disc prior to installing BGT, obviously). I can't proceed in any way. This is the small debug file up to this point:

Spoiler

I've installed 1.15 pre-1 multiple times without any trouble.

#14 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I can install BGT 1.15 pre2 on Linux in French without problems, but trying to view the worldmap freezes the game.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#15 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

@Hurricane: installing on which OS? If it isn't Win32, then I'll have to defer to Turambar.
@Anomaly: Again will have to defer to Turambar. No issues on Win32. Does a worldmap.wmp exist?

Edited by Ascension64, 07 April 2012 - 03:01 PM.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#16 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:18 PM

worldmap.wmp is present at the following locations :

./bgt/base/map/worldmap.wmp
./bgt/backup/0/worldmap.wmp

Mods affecting WORLDMAP.WMP:
00000: ~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ 3 0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Composant principal: 1.15 (7 Apr 12)
00001: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ 3 0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Composant principal: 1.15 (7 Apr 12)
00002: /* acted upon in an indetectable manner */~SETUP-BGT.TP2~ 3 0 // Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Composant principal: 1.15 (7 Apr 12)

#17 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

In that case, did the installer erroneously detected you have some left over worldmap files?

ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~worldmap/map_mods_areas.tbl~ THEN BEGIN
  COPY ~worldmap/map_mods_areas.tbl~  ~worldmap~
    APPEND_FILE ~bgt/worldmap/areas.tbl~
  COPY ~worldmap/map_mods_links.tbl~  ~worldmap~
    APPEND_FILE ~bgt/worldmap/links.tbl~

//preliminary step - making LANGUAGE temporary file until the new WeiDU
  COPY - ~bgt/worldmap/%LANGUAGE%/worldmap.tra~  ~tmp_worldmap.tra~
  COPY ~worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra~  ~worldmap~
    APPEND_FILE ~tmp_worldmap.tra~
END ELSE BEGIN
  MKDIR ~worldmap~
  COPY ~bgt/worldmap/areas.tbl~ ~worldmap/map_mods_areas.tbl~
  COPY ~bgt/worldmap/links.tbl~ ~worldmap/map_mods_links.tbl~
  COPY ~bgt/worldmap/%LANGUAGE%/worldmap.tra~ ~worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra~
  COPY ~bgt/base/map~ ~override~
END

--------------
Retired Modder

#18 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I tried to install 1.15 pre-2 just once more and this time it worked, even though I haven't done anything differently. I guess the previous failed attempt was circumstantial, because I had just ejected a disc and started the BGT setup right away. Now, after a proper reboot, the installation did not behave as if there still was a disc in the drive to interfere with the process.

So, to come back to the testing, I can now confirm that the installation is working here (German setup, Win7 x64, BG2Fixpack installed). And the changes concerning the German sounds have turned out as intended.

I also tested the uninstall process, due to the way Ike's sounds are handled - it all works fine.

However, I still get the "Syntaxfehler" (syntax error) message displayed right after giving the answer to the biffing question. It's just a line of text and doesn't seems to affect the installation, but it's still odd. Search for "syntaxfehler" to find the line in my debug file.
Attached File  SETUP-BGT.DEBUG   2.39MB   439 downloads

Plus, at the end of the whole setup, after opening the PostInstall notes, the command window looks like this:

cmd.jpg

The two lines before "Press ENTER to exit" are odd. ("syntax error" and "D:\Saved Games\Baldurs Gate\tis2bg2.exe could not be found")

-------------------------------

In any case, I suggest that further discussions about the 1.15 pre-2 installation are continued in a new, designated thread, since we are deviating from this topic. I'd still like to hear from any Spanish and Italian players about the Missing Sounds issue.

@Anomaly: Can you tell whether the changes regarding the French sounds are working as intended?

#19 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

Hurricane, the intro text seemed to be in French indeed (at least the first part).

Ascension64, I tried to reinstall BGT WeiDU without biffing, it also crashes while trying to display the worldmap. I have this worldmap.wmp in the override. Is that one correct? http://www.anomaly-s...mp/worldmap.wmp

#20 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

Did you use the BGT worldmap, not the BP-BGT worldmap mod? Does installing that mod solve the issue?
I will have a look, but I don't think I have touched anything there... could you please post your debug file?

Edited by Turambar, 08 April 2012 - 06:34 AM.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg