CTD on rest (windows 7)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:04 PM

Hey all.

I have a not-very-heavily modded BG2 install on my new laptop, with Windows 7. It had no problems for a couple of days, but today I encountered a crash to desktop on rest. I noted the problem in both the Copper Coronet and the Mithrest Inn (haven't tried what happens if I just press the "rest" button, I'm afraid). My baldur.err says:

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------
ASSERTION FAILED!
File: CGameEffect.cpp
Line: 1536
Exp: FALSE
Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

For interest, my WeiDU log is:

Spoiler

I'd be glad to hear any advice anybody might have!

"Peace will come, but whether born of harmony or entropy I cannot say."

-- Oracle en-Vec

#2 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:43 AM

That error is frequently caused by faulty item or spell files.
You could use NI to search for corrupted files among itm, spl and cre. In NI, and with the right game directory selected, go to Tools->Find Corrupted Files, select itm, spl and cre and click Check. If it turns anything up that might be your problem. If you do have any problematic files, you should run a --change-log on them and post the results. How to do that is explained here.

#3 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks very much for the reply!

NearInfinity doesn't turn up any corrupted files among itm, spl, or cre. However, scanning other files gave a lot of warnings in the WED section, specifically:

Spoiler

As well as of the form:

Spoiler

I ran a change-log on a couple of these files (haven't had the chance to do them all - will report more if I find anything), and the log showed no mods affecting the files I ran, so I'm not sure whether these are likely to have something directly to do with the problem?

-- Oracle en-Vec

#4 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

Sorry for the double post, but I realized that I didn't post an attachment, as Jarno's post said is the etiquette. This is just for one of the files that gave an error in NearInfinity.

Attached Files

-- Oracle en-Vec

#5 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

NearInfinity doesn't turn up any corrupted files among itm, spl, or cre. However, scanning other files gave a lot of warnings in the WED section, specifically:

Oh, sorry. I was thinking of "Tools->Find Mis-indexed Effects". The corruption checker won't report these kinds of problems.
However, it appears as if this function is broken. If you check the NI thread again I have posted a link to a build that should fix the problem.

#6 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:22 AM

Ah, I see. It didn't even occur to me that my version of NearInfinity might be outdated! Let's use take two:

Searched for: Mis-indexed Effects
Number of hits: 2
File: IPSION.ITM Name: Greenstone Amulet Attribute: Item ability=Type: Magical (3),Identify to use?: Yes (1),Ability location: Item slots (3),Alternate dice size: 0,
File: PTION41.ITM Name: Potion of Power Attribute: Item ability=Type: Unknown (0),Identify to use?: Yes (1),Ability location: Weapon slots (1),Alternate dice size: 0,

The contents of the change-log folder are attached as an rar. As you can see, I ran a separate one for each item; it looks like the Greenstone Amulet was changed by the BG2 Fixpack.

Attached Files

-- Oracle en-Vec

#7 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Unfortunately neither of those items is likely to be causing this problem.

What stage of the game are you in? Are you due up for having any dreams, for example? Are you expecting any quest-related NPCs to show up?

Does the game crash whenever you rest or just when you rest at an inn?

You can probably also narrow the circumstances down a little by letting time progress and see if the game suddenly crashes when time has progress far enough (1 game hour is 5 real minutes). You can probably enable debug mode and use CTRL+T to advance time, if you don't care for just letting the game run.

Edited by Wisp, 18 April 2012 - 08:47 AM.

#8 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

I've already had two of the Irenicus dreams. There shouldn't be any quest-related NPCs inbound. The Tyris romance is in the early stages, with the last talk I had being the last "preliminary" one, after which NPC-initiated flirts start.

The game crashes whenever I rest, not just at an inn. Using CTRL-T to advance time doesn't have any adverse effects (ie. everyone just stands there as normal, no crashes, generic NPCs on the street appear and disappear at the appropriate times).

Edited by Western Paladin, 18 April 2012 - 03:56 PM.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#9 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Can you test kicking any party members out and resting? If it still crashes, can you get a change-log of the file player1d.bcs?

#10 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I've been doing some testing accordingly, with interesting results.

More specifically: resting with only the PC in the party does not crash the game. The party members were Minsc (currently deceased), Mazzy, Yoshimo, and Tyris Flare. Before posting here, I did some other experimentation with kicking out one person at a time and leaving the rest joined, just to see what happened. I'm not sure if it's helpful, but: it crashes regardless of which individual has been removed.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#11 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:38 AM

it crashes regardless of which individual has been removed.

That is weird. Can you try doing it the other way around, kicking out all but one and see if there is someone you can keep around without crashes? If you find one, you can keep him/her and kick out all but one of the rest of them and repeat until you can not keep anyone more around without the game crashing. It might also be relevant to know if it is the number of party members that matter, or the identity of who is in your party.

#12 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

Done and done.

Just Minsc: No crash!
Just Mazzy: Crashes
Just Yoshimo: No crash!
Just Tyris: Crashes

Minsc and Mazzy: Crashes
Minsc and Yoshimo: No crash (perhaps not surprising given above?)
Minsc and Tyris: Crashes

Yoshimo and Mazzy: Crashes
Yoshimo and Tyris: Crashes

Very interesting. Looks like maybe it's something to do with Mazzy and/or Tyris? I remember now something odd that happened to me during the Gorf the Squisher quest: when I went into the Coronet after Gorf challenged Mazzy, it went straight into the duel, without making me talk to his girlfriend and without the intermediate conversation with the pit master. I didn't think much of it at the time, and it sort of slipped my mind until just now.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#13 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

Is the assertion error the same for both Tyris and Mazzy? It is possible they are crashing for different reasons.

Are you romancing Tyris and, if so, what is the value of the lovetalk var? [1]

Can you go to AR1300 [2] and try to repeat the crash with Tyris? She has a dream script that will not run in that area. It just starts banters, so I do not see how it could do this, but who knows.

1. Hover the mouse cursor over her, open the console and use the command CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("G#TF.Lovetalk","LOCALS")
2. E.g., by selecting everyone, opening the console and using the command CLUAConsole:MoveToArea("ar1300")

#14 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Oops! I probably should have reported the assertion errors before hand. Here's the one for just Mazzy:

ASSERTION FAILED!
File: CGameEffect.cpp
Line: 1536
Exp: FALSE
Msg: no msg.
Run Debugger?

Just Tyris gives the same message.

I ran a change-log on that file, which returned nothing.

Just to see, I did the other steps, too.

Tyris' romance is active, with the value of the lovetalk variable at 13.

I moved to AR1300, kicked out everyone except Tyris, and pressed Z. The game crashed again; the assertion error it gave this time was the same as before.

Edited by Western Paladin, 21 April 2012 - 10:27 PM.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#15 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

The next step would be to start uninstalling mods one by one to see if it is one, or a combination of them, that are causing the problems. The good news is all mods can be reinstalled without invalidating your saved games (provided you pick that option when you reinstall Item Randomiser).

If you want to be extra sure you can make a copy of your installation directory and uninstall mods from that one, while preserving the original. Just make sure you edit the file baldur.ini in your copied directory to make the [Alias] section reflect the new location.

If/when you get to uninstalling Tyris, kick her out before you uninstall the mod and create a new save without her in the party. Also, since you have components from BG2 Tweaks in a non-contiguous order, start by uninstalling just component 3141. If you uninstall the whole mod, WeiDU will also reinstall DBG and Item Randomiser, which would be suboptimal.

#16 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:38 AM

Something interesting to report: I uninstalled my mods one by one, without changing my party composition other than removing Tyris in the way you suggested. I got the same crash, with the same message in Baldur.err, each time, until I got up to the BG2 Fixpack. Uninstalling all components of the BG2 Fixpack was followed by normal behavior on rest, with no crash. Would it be a good idea to test with the Fixpack components I had installed one by one?

Edited by Western Paladin, 23 April 2012 - 02:38 AM.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#17 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

Would it be a good idea to test with the Fixpack components I had installed one by one?

Yeah, it would help. It always good to confirm.

Edited by Wisp, 23 April 2012 - 03:55 AM.

#18 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:32 PM

Cool. I had a chance to do more testing, with the results:

Core Fixes only: no crash
+ GTU Update Lite: no crash
+ Beta Core Fixes: crashes. Baldur.err outputs the same error as my previous post.

I haven't yet tried the components after that.

Edited by Western Paladin, 23 April 2012 - 10:36 PM.

-- Oracle en-Vec

#19 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

With the beta fixes installed, can you use the console to create the following items and see if any of them causes your game to crash? [1]
quiver02
quiver04
quiver05
quiver06
sw1h31
sw1h34
sw1h71
shld24
killsw01

If none of the items cause problems, can you try uninstalling 1PP and reinstall the Fixpack and see if you still get the crash?
If the crash disappears, you can try installing 1PP after the Fixpack to see if the crash reappears or stays gone.

1. CLUAConsole:CreateItem("item-name")

Edited by Wisp, 24 April 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#20 Western Paladin

Western Paladin
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:56 PM

I reinstalled Beta Core Fixes, then tried creating each of the items as you suggested and then resting. The game crashed with each item.

-- Oracle en-Vec