• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

I made this setup more to test out the capabilities of the BiG World Setup Beta

I was able to start a game just fine, created a character and exported her to make and test starts easier.
So I decided to play around with trying to make fonts at a decent size for my game screen. Ok no problem restart and use the character and load up BG1 side of BGT. Initial font looked ok so I exited and converted fonts for the other files. Ok no problem. This time I decided to start the BG2 portion thinking that there I'd be able to see much easier the floating text.

Enter problem. Instead of the normal cutscene some cutscene from a mod takes place and I eventually end up at a screen where my character is in the locked cell of irenicus' dungeon. The normal cutscene didn't take place and so I quit the game and decided to start up the BG1 side instead. I do this and use my character and now the game crashes. Right before the crash I can see a larger foot circle and no animation. Restart and use a different character from Bioware and the game starts fine.

Can anyone explain what happened and why?

Do note that I'm not worried about 'fixing' this game version. Tho if the problem can be tracked down and prevented for other people that would be good.

cause you'll ask
weidu.log
Spoiler
and yes I used the tobexloader.exe to start the game instead of the normal bgmain.exe

For normal games I don't do this much stuff LOL Usually I stick to their original platforms with limited # of mods.

EDIT: interesting thing is the problem goes away when I uninstall the fonts I'm trying to do.... I only affect normal.bam tooltip.bam and floattxt.bam. What is interesting is if it was the bam as a problem itself it should have crashed when I first tried to use it. Instead it crashes when the character file is reused...

So I try this Font mod instead http://www.shsforums...baldurs-gate-2/
Load up the game and use my character. Crashes.
I made a brand new character similar to the other, same kit etc. it too crashed.

My guess is the method used to make the font (I was using the same tool as the linked mod) is flawed.

When I stop trying to use the custom kit Auror and use the bioware provided Archer kit instead, I can have the font mod (or my own) installed without crashing. Problem: I want to try the Auror kit...

I even tried the larger font bam made by bioware on the ToTSC disc... the Auror kit when used causes the game to crash. i don't see how a kit would be affected by change in font bam, but it is...

with Tobex debug settings all turned on...
only showing the info for last session
Spoiler
This is with using the Auror kit AND ToTSC's larger size font file normal.bam

and without using the font bam
Spoiler
do note that it did crash on exit. Sometimes it does that and other times it doesn't. I wonder if it's Tobex at play... cuts out all the other crap and tries just auror kit & font on clean BG2......

vanilla game with just Auror kit & the larger font has no problems. There is a third mod at play which when Auror kit & larger font are both used has a problem and crashes... my guess would be Tobex as that changes how the game engine behaves. I've no clue. Installed Tobex exactly like it is on this setup followed by Auror kit & the font... no issues at all. running a change log on .bam files right now...

so nothing turns up on the change log thing...

I go back to the lean install which now has Tobex, Auror Kit & the font. I add Infinity Animations, pretty much every component. I start the game up and it crashes as soon as the cutscene should start. I begin to remove components one at a time but it keeps crashing. So I remove everything but the main component. Crash. Completely uninstall IA and it no longer crashes.

will list the combinations that cause crash or not:
Tobex + Auror + font = no crash
Tobex + Auror + font + IA = crash
Tobex + Auror + IA = crash
Tobex + IA = no crash
Tobex + IA + font = no crash
Tobex + IA + font + Auror = crash

I guess it's safe to say that for some reason IA is not compatible with the Auror kit. I wonder if any other custom kits crash when IA is installed? But this puzzles me... Cause I was able to create and save a character file with both Auror & IA installed prior to my fiddling with the font...

and to be truly certain...
IA (main component) + Auror kit and nothing else = crash

just to be further complete I made sure that Logging On=1 was set in the baldur.ini and tried the game again with just IA's main component & the Auror kit. After the expected crash... here is the baldur.err

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

---------------------Start Logging Session---------------------

obviously useless...

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 24 April 2012 - 06:19 AM.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm