Request: New classes for TNO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Thagdarf

Thagdarf
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:53 AM

Greetings.

After reading through one of the threads on RPGCodex about the fixpack and the whole 1D10HD/Thac0 fix discussion, I noticed a comment by Scient about unlocking the remaining classes for TNO. Link here: http://www.rpgcodex....e-5#post-653050 (Post 113 and 120 in case the direct link doesn't work as intended).

So yes, the questions is basically this: Will this ever be made into a tweak for the tweak pack (guessing not). And if not, would you (scient) be willing to make a small guide on how to do it manually ?

I noticed your comment on how to change it in said link above (#120), but to be honest, I didn't understand what program to use and what file to open. I tried opening torment.exe with a hex editor, and searching, but could not find the specified hex's you had mentioned.

If not, I guess I'll just have to wait a couple of years for GemRB to be more PST friendly. The class limitations is my single largest remaining annoyance in PST. Played through it plenty of times, and find the limitations to be just an irretation on repeated plays.

Thank you for your time in reading this :)

-Jon Eirik
"Sigil ain't New Hampshire." -Qwinn

#2 i30817

i30817
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:26 AM

That would only make sense on the narrative with extensive dialog and script changes - think about dialogs that have alternatives for thieves and mages for instance - (and Cleric is supposed to be right out, except maybe sensate - and that would be plenty weird without dialog).

But it WOULD be kinda cool to go f/t/m. As a artless tweak, you can just change the ofsets scient gave right?

#3 Thagdarf

Thagdarf
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Well, since I'm not programming guru myself, I can't really say for certain. Though it would surprise me if you couldn't tweak some flags to tell what class TNO counts as at any given time, considering how weird his class setup is to begin with.

If so, then you could technically force the flag to F/M/T and thus enable all options right away. Would also have made a few things less bothersome on repeated playthrough, since you wouldn't have to keep bouncing back and forth between classes for things all the time.

I agree that a F/M/T would probably be the most logical variant, and I've been wanting to try just that for years. Simply because I'm so tired of TNO's wacko-dualclassing. But I've also wanted to try to play all the other classes; Unfortunately Ranger, Paladin, Bard and Druid are not implemented in the engine/game, so can't try those (One point for eventually trying this out in GemRB, as you could import the classes from the other games). But Cleric or Fighter/Cleric would also be fun, and old favorites of mine. And if the game just could "recognize" a cleric as a mage, then you would still get enough dialogue options to satisfy I guess.

But anyways, I don't expect anything like Qwinn spending a year rewriting all scripts and text to allow for all kinds of class and multi-class options etc. I'd be fine with just playing TNO as any new class or class-combinations, even if I lost lots of dialogue on it etc, aka no class dialogue.

Should also mention that I absolutely hate playing pure class fighter, thief or mage. They are the three most boring classes for me :) which probably have something to do with my strong opinion on this. Love those classes when multi classed, but not stand alone. I think TNO would have made an awesome bard! (Essentially a F/M/T in one package), and I'm having a good laugh every time I try to imagine TNO as a Druid, or heck any druid in Sigil.

Uhm, /Rant I guess.

-Jon Eirik

#4 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

The problem is there is a lot of class specific code for TNO and changing his class value to something other than mage (1), fighter (2) or thief (4) breaks a ton of shit. This is also why gemrb is lacking for PST. Like if it got set to FIGHTER_MAGE_THIEF (10) you wouldn't get TNO specific bonuses for any of those classes because its checking for particular class value (CLASS.IDS). Also, I think it crashes the game when I was messing around. It's been awhile, this weekend I'll have a look and see if anything is feasible.

Edited by scient, 26 April 2012 - 09:03 AM.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#5 Thagdarf

Thagdarf
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 04:56 AM

Did you get a chance to look around at it ?

(Guessing it is unfeasible)

Will I be better of waiting on GemRB than trying to force poor old PST to do this ? Heh, the more I hear about the PST engine itself, the more it sounds like one heck of an ugly hack.

#6 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Well, the problem is mainly there is a lot of specific checks for TNO and when you change his class it causes all sorts of problems. And yah, I couldn't get it to work smoothly. I would have to do a lot of editing to get this working and even then might not be 100%.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#7 Thagdarf

Thagdarf
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

More trouble than it is worth then. I'll just wait for GemRB to become stable enough with PST, that I can start tweaking things manually there.

Thank you for taking the time to look :)