lagging ie lag stutter slowdown

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 trebonus

trebonus
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

Hi all,

I've got a general question about lag in IE games. I've gone through the expansive list of fixes in http://www.shsforums...nstutteringlag/, but I just wanted to follow up on it with a description of the consistent problem I've faced to learn more about the cause. I've played BGT, BG2 mega-modded (TDD, SoS, etc...), PS:T, IWD, IWD2, and nearly every time (particularly in BGT, BG2 and PS:T) no matter what computer I'm using (I've played them all on over 4 different computers, each more than capable of handling the games) at a certain point, usually 20+ hrs into playing, they start to lag slightly, and then progressively more and more. It's extremely frustrating for obvious reasons- I've gotten seriously invested and then spend another dozen hours pausing the game every time I want to do something and trying not to watch when I unpause and things unfold stutteringly.

So my question is, other than ambient sounds, etc..., what about IE games would systematicallly result in a growing lag that correlates to time spent playing a game? Particularly when the games played smoothly for the first 20+ hours? When it happens, even if I start a new game, the lagging has carried over.

I can't remember everything I've tried over the years to fix it each time- I started playing PS:T recently with a few mods- Qwinn's and the widescreen- which motivated the comment after the lagging started when I got to Curst (or maybe in Ravel's maze- I can't remember exactly)- I gave up on the games frankly a few years ago when the lagging happened during a BG2 mega-mod playthrough (I gave up on bothering with BGT after twice not even making it to BG2 before the lagging kicked in). Thanks for any insights.

Edited by trebonus, 11 May 2012 - 06:08 AM.

#2 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Check out this thread, it deals with one aspect of the stuttering. I've got that fix installed on my current (light-ish) megamod and I still experience stuttering at times, but it usually runs for duration of one quest and stops when that quest is over. One quest I noticed made my game stutter everytime was one in Baldur's Gate (From UB I think) where you gotta return a kid corpse from temple of Umberlee to his priest father.
I am also having stutter at the moment since I entered tanner's shop and it isn't going away... I should probably report it to that thread I linked and maybe someone can find where else it could come from.

Edit : Well I just reread that 1st post which was updated since last time I read it, the stutter remover script fixed the stuttering in my game. You should give it a go!

Edited by Beleg33, 11 May 2012 - 07:36 AM.

Random spambot #8434678 said :

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#3 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

You know, you reminded me to bring up this stutter fix to Qwinn & [menber=scient] - maybe they can have a go at intergrating Suslik/A64's stutter fixer in the PST Fixpack. I'm going to do that right now.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#4 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:13 PM

The first thing I'd recommend with any type of stuttering is to reduce concurrent activities, if other programs are open close them, turn off ambient sounds, even other sounds. Find out if there is a way to play the game without the stuttering. If that doesn't help, then try some variant of the stutter test mod. here is one: http://www.shsforums...055#entry504055 I've not used that one particularly as I design my own based on current needs. Another thing you can check is the number of variables you have stored in your save game. DLTCEP, Near Infinity, Infinity Explorer or even one of the Keepers (use the right one for the particular game platform) can tell you how many you have. According to Suslik's tests if the number of stored variables is in excess of 1800 you are likely to be suffering from the issue he outlined.

My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
My website: http://sasha-altheri...s.com/index.htm

#5 trebonus

trebonus
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the ideas/links. I'll try those to see if I can make it to the end of PS:T without having to capitulate. Also, many thanks Beleg33 for the BG2 link- I never realized there was a such a developed fix for it- I think I may have to dust off that game and give it another try... bad news for my free time...

#6 William Imm

William Imm

Obsessive Penguin Lover

• 486 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Your issue with PS:T stuttering may be fixed with the DDraw Fix. If it is not, maybe there is some other factor, including Suslik's stuttering at work.
At this point, I'm not really doing much Baldur's Gate related. More focused on Skyrim modding and the Born of Legend tabletop roleplaying game. Don't expect much activity here.

#7 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:36 AM

Trebonus says his stuttering happens after several hours of play and not everytime he plays so I'm putting my money on "Full hashtable/too many globals" stuttering in his case which is fixed in TobEx v24 or with the use of Suslik's (temporary) workaround script.
No idea about how it works with PST so you should probably look into that DDraw fix or try to adapt the script fix for that game.

Edited by Beleg33, 12 May 2012 - 06:41 AM.

you should liquor multiplying great deal supplment your to office apparel predicated copy may possibly be an go through check out this behave as more busy den has an interest in pc

#8 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

You can run this script block:
Spoiler

In any script, if you know how to modify them. If the stuttering vanishes after setting "AddVariableBlock0" to "1", just load your savegame again and continue playing. You can even check it without modifying scripts, just SetGlobal("random_name<random_number>", "GLOBAL", 1); a few
dozens of variables, but it may prove to be easier via a script.

But this does look strange:

When it happens, even if I start a new game, the lagging has carried over.

If this is true, it's probably some other kind of stuttering, not hashtable-related.

Edited by Suslik, 12 May 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#9 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

But this does look strange:

When it happens, even if I start a new game, the lagging has carried over.

If this is true, it's probably some other kind of stuttering, not hashtable-related.

Right I missed that part of the OP. Try everything suggested and get back to tell us how it went!

#10 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

You can run this script block:

Spoiler

In any script, if you know how to modify them. If the stuttering vanishes after setting "AddVariableBlock0" to "1", just load your savegame again and continue playing. You can even check it without modifying scripts, just SetGlobal("random_name<random_number>", "GLOBAL", 1); a few
dozens of variables, but it may prove to be easier via a script.

Just out of curiosity how is that script block supposed to work. The way you've got it it is looking for the AddVariableBlock0 to already be 1 which will never be true unless set at some point before hand. Is it meant to be used alongside CLUA:Console or are the variable values mistakenly flipped? A little clarification would be nice.

My working mods:

#11 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Everything is explained in 1st port of the thread about stuttering in megamod, this one.
Yes it's meant to be used with CLUAConsole. Basically it forces the engine to expand the hashtable when all the dummy GLOBALs are added via this script when you manually set that variable to 1.

Yes I barely understand what I just said :lol2:

#12 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Everything is explained in 1st port of the thread about stuttering in megamod, this one.
Yes it's meant to be used with CLUAConsole. Basically it forces the engine to expand the hashtable when all the dummy GLOBALs are added via this script when you manually set that variable to 1.

Yes I barely understand what I just said :lol2:

He should include the instructions if he isn't going to link to them. Not everyone can put 2 and 2 together and get 22 :P Thus I asked for clarification. It's been pointed out to me before when trying to help others that just cause I knew to do certain steps that others may not know to do them. No disrespect or anything intended just wanting to make sure that anyone reading this thread and looking for help knows what to do.

My working mods:

#13 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

He should include the instructions if he isn't going to link to them.

Right after the code I have written:

If the stuttering vanishes after setting "AddVariableBlock0" to "1"

And I assume that topicstarter has already followed the link to my thread in post #2 by Beleg33, and he has already read complete instructions. Post #8 was a clarification of where this code can be alternatively applied to if you are using some other IE game.

Beleg33, da man. You have understood and explained everything right.

Edited by Suslik, 12 May 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#14 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

Assuming what others will or won't do can lead to problems. All I did was request that some clarification be put into this thread about how to use it.

To me the logical course would be to make the script snippet into a mod which appends the script block along with a Hotkey trigger to initiate it rather than relying on the user's knowledge of CLUA:Console and their ability to use an IE editing tool. Not everyone wishes to activate CLUA or use it even if it is activated. Nor does everyone have a copy of NI or DLTCEP or wish to delve into editing game files.

If you think a small mod to do the job sounds like a good idea and you don't know how to do it, then I can whip it up fairly easily. Let me know.

My working mods:

#15 Beleg33

Beleg33

AKA Adanedhel on G3

• 521 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

I fully support the idea!

#16 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

If you think a small mod to do the job sounds like a good idea and you don't know how to do it, then I can whip it up fairly easily. Let me know.

^ That. I'm not familiar with the system of how the mods are constructed, but if you can wrap it into a small mod, that would be cool.

Edited by Suslik, 12 May 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#17 -max-

-max-

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:30 PM

I second the motion! A mod sounds like an easy way to do the fix, for the game player that is (not the modder who has to do the work...)

BTW in my current game only had two major stutter issues, one with Nalia abducted quest and Anomen's knighthood test. Both ended when the quest was completed. I am trying to make a practice of keeping the quests started to a minimum so I can finish them promptly. If I had ten quests started, and the stutter kicked in it would take some time stuttering around slowly to finish all of them. Of course Suslik's fix could help there. Thanks for tracking that down and providing a fix. :clap:

#18 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 06:34 PM

^ That. I'm not familiar with the system of how the mods are constructed, but if you can wrap it into a small mod, that would be cool.

I do not have any saves affected by the stuttering. So I can not say that it works 100%. However it does install and it does 'run' on ToB. It is designed to work with all platforms, however while I have clean unmodified versions of each available for examination I do not have enough hard drive space to have each available for modding and testing at the same time. There will need to be some 'real world' testing and feed back as to whether or not it actually does work.

Icewind Dale I & II do not have active baldur.bcs or dplayer scripts however baldur.bcs is present. I use it in the hopes that it may work if something is within the script.
PST does not have baldur.bcs or dplayer scripts. It does have specific party member scripts which if the regexp works should apply to just those few.
I did set it up for BG & ToTSC however those are fixed values rather than whatever method BG2 uses so they will actually block the mod from running. If any other platforms turn out to be fixed values rather than BG2's method, they can be added to the list which blocks the installation.

It may be possible to use only the party AI script rather than messing with baldur.bcs or the dplayer scripts. However, I also wanted to make sure that nothing else would interfere with the process due to the party AI scripts coming later in the processing.

Instructions are thrown at the user in THREE places
1) the readme
2) at end of installation
3) and in game within the script description window for party AI

http://sasha-altheri...ods/abGVSCF.zip

I'm not familiar with the system of how the mods are constructed,

I am surprised that you do not know this. It is something that you should at least take the time to learn. Study this mod's tp2 along with the weidu readme then see how the files look after installation, should give you an idea of some of the basics.

My working mods:

#19 Suslik

Suslik

Investigator

• 500 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 02:26 AM

Icewind Dale I & II do not have active baldur.bcs or dplayer scripts however baldur.bcs is present. I use it in the hopes that it may work if something is within the script.

Adding those values in baldur.bcs was clearly a temporary workaround - just a way to 100% execute the script. Maybe it would be more reliable to assign it to some in-game ability or a spell? Or specific character AI?

I am surprised that you do not know this. It is something that you should at least take the time to learn.

tp2's structure is easy to read without studying any readme's and manuals. But that does mean that I can make a reliable mod setup as easy as that, I'm just a player/investigator, not a modder.

Thanks for the mod, I'll give it a try when I finish that script execution mystery investigation.

Edited by Suslik, 13 May 2012 - 02:28 AM.

#20 Sasha Al'Therin

Sasha Al'Therin
  • Modder
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:21 AM

I'm just a player/investigator, not a modder.

You know, I used to say that. Then I decided I didn't like how my party reacted in combat, started to make my own scripts and got hooked. Wasn't too far of a stretch to move over and dabble in other file types.

Adding those values in baldur.bcs was clearly a temporary workaround - just a way to 100% execute the script. Maybe it would be more reliable to assign it to some in-game ability or a spell? Or specific character AI?

Sure, solely as a party AI script. http://sasha-altheri...s/abGVSCFv2.zip

everything else is the same, only difference being that the script used is a custom party AI script that the player can assign. It won't even remain assigned if they follow proper instructions as they'll be reloading the save game in question which was saved prior to the script assignment. And it won't unnecessarily clutter the active baldur or dplayer scripts.

Edited by Sasha Al'Therin, 13 May 2012 - 06:34 AM.

My working mods:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lagging, ie, lag, stutter, slowdown