Another assassin idea

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hey Avenger,

I wanted to run an idea by you that I had previously mentioned on the BG enhanced edition forums about the assassin. Someone posted a thread on tweaking the assassin kit since the general consensus is that the assassin is very weak and pointless to play compared to a kensai/thief or a multiclass fighter/thief. My whole issue with the assassin has always been that its main weapon ultimately is backstab. But backstab becomes more and more useless as the game goes on rendering the assassin equally useless. Most backstab-worthy opponents are immune rendering the assassin just a single class thief with terrible THACO and APR using a shortbow. My thought was is it possible to make the assassin the only thief class that can backstab anything? What I mean is that the assassins backstab works against all opponents including backstab-immune targets. This would really give the assassin a niche and a specialty that makes sense. Now the flip side to this is that this could present balance issues where bosses and such become too easy. To counter this maybe allow the assassin to do only half backstab damage to those bosses similar to that epic precision feat in NWN2. I think this is a pretty cool idea but I'm not sure it can even be implemented. So what do you think?

#2 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

My thought was is it possible to make the assassin the only thief class that can backstab anything? What I mean is that the assassins backstab works against all opponents including backstab-immune targets

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that are beyond the capabilities of modders.

In order to implement something like that, a change on the engine level would be required.

#3 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

Yea that's what I figured. Too bad. A lot of folks seem to like the idea. Looking forward to RR 4.49!