Photo

ToBEx 24 will not load on startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SkyKnight

SkyKnight
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Sorry for the vague thread title, but in all honesty that's the problem.

I had very good luck with version 23, but toward the endgame I fell victim to the stutter bug, despite having a fairly upper-end processor. For a decade-old game, that ain't fun. So when version 24 came out that included a fix, I was looking to upgrade.

For unrelated reasons, I had to do a full reinstall of my game rather than just replacing the related files. For troubleshooting purposes, though, this should be easier, since everything is brand new and freshly installed, since nothing I tweaked in-game can be responsible. Likewise, all but about 2-3 mods that I installed new here were present when I had version 23.

The problem is, simply, ToBEx will not load when I activate the game. Neither when I click on BGMain.exe or on TobExLoader.exe. I know it doesn't run in the background; the secondary window doesn't come up and there is no separate ToBEx process running in the windows task manager. In both BGMain and TobExLoader, it goes straight to the main game. I tested it by trying to start a new game since the extended kit scroll bars is the quickest way to tell if ToBEx is working, but in every case the game runs like the vanilla version.

I've included my WeiDU file and I'm pretty used to troubleshooting different mods, but I'm pretty lost on how to fix problems on something like ToBEx, so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:35 AM

Check you have both TobEx.dll and AsmJit.dll in your game folder.
What OS are you using?

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#3 -SkyKnight-

-SkyKnight-

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:35 AM

Both TobEx.dll and AsmJit.dll are present in the game folder.

Operating system is Windows XP (yeah, I know it's older, but I run Ubuntu on another partition and only use Windows for a few games and programs that I can't run on Linux), Service Pack 3.

#4 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

I don't really know what the problem is, but I am thinking it may be related to the new script variable substitution system that relies on MathPresso and AsmJit.

It could possibly be a Visual C++ 2008 Runtime Library issue. Perhaps you could get the redistributable here.
http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=29

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#5 SkyKnight

SkyKnight
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Took your advice and reinstalled the Visual C++ Runtime Library. Reloaded the game and ToBEx came up with no problems. Very awesome, so thank you very much for your help. I consider myself pretty good at troubleshooting things like this, but I could only dream of being so good at coding that I could come up with something that affects the game engine the way ToBEx does, let alone troubleshooting it for others. Keep up the good work.

And even though my new install means I have to start over in my Throne of Bhaal game, I still had my old save and plugged it in to see how it runs with the new variable fix. It runs AMAZING!! I'd gotten so used to the stuttering getting worse and worse through a full SoA/ToB game that it just brought a smile to my face to see my characters walking from Point A to Point B with no stuttering whatsoever. It feels like it's been forever since the game has run this smooth.

#6 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

Oh, cool. I didn't really have a clue about this one - usually a program needing run-time libraries would complain at you about missing DLLs.

--------------
Retired Modder