• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:16 PM

For your perusal, here are a few Valerie banters with Bioware NPCs and her first major friendtalk.

Valerie/Edwin

Edwin: ~The Second Law of Transmutation.~

Valerie: ~The magical energy needed to reverse a transmutation must equal or exceed the energy used to cause the transformation. Krassus' Maxim.~

Edwin: ~It is impossible to determine whether any given spell will survive the death of its caster. Bah! Larloch's Postulate.~

Valerie: ~I know this one... As magical power contained within one body approaches infinity, it also approaches divinity. The Blackstaff Axiom.~

Edwin: ~No power is unique. Everything you can do, so can someone else. Even that fool has his moments of wisdom. Nineteenth Rule of Azuth.~

Valerie: ~Nineteenth rule... nineteenth rule... uh...~

Edwin: ~Only the will of a sentient mind can shape magic! Bah! You sorcerers are a disgrace to mages everywhere. You have no appreciation for the details of power.~

Valerie: ~I know, Edwin. I've tried studying magic the normal way. I even understood most of what you wrote in your spellbook when you let me have a look. It's just... how do you *remember* all of that?~

Edwin: ~With sufficient dedication to the craft and the ends I use it for. Bah. Why did I ever decide you might be worth teaching?~

Valerie: ~Because I appealed to your titanic ego? Edwin, you were beaming when I asked if I could learn from your formidable talent for and experience with magic. I thought you might know something the Cowled Wizards didn't that I could then pass on to them.~

Edwin: ~(Note to self: no do-gooders for apprentices in the future. More trouble than they're worth.)~

Valerie/Dynaheir

Valerie: ~Dynaheir, do the Rashemi know much of powers like mine?~

Dynaheir: ~If thou dost speak of thy proclivity for magic, I doth know no more than thee, I suspect.~

Valerie: ~Figures. Thanks anyway.~

Dynaheir: ~Why doth it concern thee so?~

Valerie: ~Magic is power, Dynaheir. I don't understand my magic, and can't completely control it. I want to understand it so I can control it.~

Dynaheir: ~Valerie, dost thou seek power over thyself, or power over others?~

Valerie: ~I don't want power at all, but I'm stuck with it. I guess that means I want power over myself.~

Dynaheir: ~If thou wouldst permit, I canst teach you a few techniques I doth know to help center thyself.~

Valerie: ~You'd do that for an outsider?~

Dynaheir: ~*Dynaheir laughs* These art not secrets of the wychlaran. I wouldst not reveal that such secrets existed.~

Valerie: ~I'd like that, then. Thank you, Dynaheir.~

Valerie/Coran

Coran: ~Do my eyes deceive me, dear sorceress, or have I noticed an interest in female beauty most unbecoming of a woman in you?~

Valerie: ~I am a sorceress, Coran. I am a freak by definition. What's one more unnatural interest?~

Coran: ~I was not mocking you, quite the contrary. Hanali Celanil delights in passion and love of beauty, no matter whose beauty that might be.~

Valerie: ~Wow. I thought the rumors that all elves didn't care who they slept with were just that. No wonder there are so many elves in the brothels of Athkatla.~

Coran: ~Is our sorceress implying firsthand knowledge of such places, hmmm?~

Valerie: ~(Valerie blushes deeply) Uh, not in that way. Part of my apprenticeship was doing paperwork and basic lab work for a full Cowled Wizard, and there was an incident involving a conjurer working in the brothels.~

Coran: ~Oh, my. I never thought of that...~

Valerie/Jaheira

Valerie: ~Ack!~

Jaheira: ~That was only a grass snake, child. You should not be jumping at odd movements in the forest.~

Valerie: ~I hate snakes. Micah, one of my fellow apprentices, had one as a familiar... kept making it slither into my bed or onto my lab table. Ugh.~

Jaheira: ~Snakes have their place in nature, Valerie. They feed on a wide range of pests, and most are quite harmless unless provoked.~

Valerie: ~I know, I know. Doesn't change that they're scaly and slither-y and make my skin crawl when I see one.~

Jaheira: ~*Sigh* This may take more work than I had thought.~

Valerie/<CHARNAME>

//Friendtalk2
//Condition: Resting at an inn after clearing the mines

IF ~Global("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",4)~ T2ValFriendTalk2
SAY ~Crawling around underground is not as enjoyable as the dwarves and gnomes say it is. A soft bed and a fine wine sound like just what the cleric ordered.~
++ ~I agree. Sounds good.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Good
++ ~What kind of clerics are you used to being around, if they'd order bed and wine?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Lliira
++ ~Any recommendations for a good vintage?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Vintage
++ ~Don't suppose you're looking for company, are you?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~I never imagined you having a fondness for wine.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Wine
++ ~Enjoy yourself. I'm getting some sleep.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Good
SAY ~Soft bed, fine wine, a good book... a perfect evening's relaxation after lots of fighting and killing.~
++ ~I didn't figure you as a wine-drinker.~ + T2ValF2Wine
++ ~How about a pleasant evening's company?~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~Relax while you can. I have a feeling we'll be back in the thick of it soon enough.~ + T2ValF2Fight
++ ~I think that soft bed is calling to me. Good night, Valerie.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

//Alternate start: if Valerie is recruited after clearing the Nashkel Mines

IF ~Global("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",4)~ T2ValFriendTalk2
SAY ~Maybe I'm still soft from my apprenticeship, but I'm tired. A soft bed and a fine wine sound like just what the cleric ordered.~
++ ~I agree. Sounds good.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Good
++ ~What kind of clerics are you used to being around, if they'd order bed and wine?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Lliira
++ ~Any recommendations for a good vintage?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Vintage
++ ~Don't suppose you're looking for company, are you?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~I never imagined you having a fondness for wine.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Wine
++ ~Enjoy yourself. I'm getting some sleep.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Good
SAY ~Soft bed, fine wine, a good book... a perfect evening's relaxation after lots of walking and not infrequently fighting.~
++ ~I didn't figure you as a wine-drinker.~ + T2ValF2Wine
++ ~How about a pleasant evening's company?~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~Relax while you can. I have a feeling we'll be back in the thick of it soon enough.~ + T2ValF2Fight
++ ~I think that soft bed is calling to me. Good night, Valerie.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Lliira
SAY ~Lliirans. The goddess of joy and revelry has taken over Waukeen's job as goddess of trade and wealth, so Athkatla suddenly has a Lliiran temple on every block, or so it feels like. They are a lively bunch.~
++ ~You say you serve Torm, though, right?~ + T2ValF2Torm
++ ~Do you want some company to help enjoy the evening?~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~Enjoy what downtime we have. We don't get enough of it.~ + T2ValF2Fight
++ ~Don't stay up too late, Valerie.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Vintage
SAY ~Hah. Like we can afford a really good wine without cutting into more practical expenses. The Tethyrian red is pretty good for the price, though.~
++ ~I never figured you for a wine connoisseur.~ + T2ValF2Wine2
++ ~Pleasant company can only make a good evening better. Would you mind if I joined you?~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~Have fun for however long this lasts. We'll be back in the fray before long.~ + T2ValF2Fight
++ ~I'm retiring for the night. I trust you'll go to bed before you lose the ability to walk?~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Wine
SAY ~Everyone has their vices, <CHARNAME>, and wine is one of mine.~
++ ~If you'd like some pleasant company for this evening, I'll be pleased to oblige.~ + T2ValF2Flirt
++ ~Unwind all you like, but be ready to go in the morning. Adventure awaits.~ + T2ValF2Fight
++ ~I'm going to bed now. The lavatory is that way if you need to throw up in the morning.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Flirt
SAY ~Uh. <CHARNAME>? Maybe the wine's blurring my judgment, but... are you flirting with me?~
++ ~Trying to, at any rate.~ + T2ValF2Try
++ ~You're a beautiful woman, Valerie. I'd be delighted to buy you another glass of wine.~ + T2ValF2Smooth
++ ~Not my intention, but if you're saying you want me to...~ + T2ValF2Want
++ ~I think you got the wrong idea.~ + T2ValF2Wrong
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Try
SAY ~Wow. Uh. I'm flattered, I think. But, uh, no thanks.~
++ ~It was worth a shot.~ + T2ValF2Shot
IF ~OR(3) Gender(MALE) Race(HALFLING) Race(GNOME)~ THEN REPLY ~Why not?~ + T2ValF2WhyM
IF ~AND(3) Gender(FEMALE) !Race(HALFLING) !Race(GNOME)~ THEN REPLY ~Why not?~ + T2ValF2WhyF
IF ~Gender(FEMALE)~ THEN REPLY ~Is it because I'm a woman?~ + T2ValF2Bi
++ ~Good night, then.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Smooth
SAY ~(Valerie laughs) Real smooth, <CHARNAME>, but I'm not, uh, interested.~
++ ~It was worth a shot.~ + T2ValF2Shot
IF ~OR(3) Gender(MALE) Race(HALFLING) Race(GNOME)~ THEN REPLY ~Why not?~ + T2ValF2WhyM
IF ~AND(3) Gender(FEMALE) !Race(HALFLING) !Race(GNOME)~ THEN REPLY ~Why not?~ + T2ValF2WhyF
IF ~Gender(FEMALE)~ THEN REPLY ~Is it because I'm a woman?~ + T2ValF2Bi
++ ~Good night, then.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Shot
SAY ~If you say so. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
IF ~~ DO ~RestParty()~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2WhyM
SAY ~You're not my type. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2WhyF
SAY ~You walk the adventurer's road, <CHARNAME>. I'm not a fan of the scrappy adventurer girl who of course turns out to be beautiful when she cleans up sort. Good night.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Bi
SAY ~Uh, no. Not at all. I prefer women, in fact. But, uh, this really isn't the time. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Want
SAY ~No! Uh, I mean... good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Wrong
SAY ~(Valerie's face turns scarlet) Uh. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Fight
SAY ~Sigh. Fighting, killing, being hurt in turn. This is a pretty miserable life you've chosen, <CHARNAME>.~
++ ~Oh, I don't know about that. I think it's kind of fun.~ + T2ValF2Fun
++ ~True, but it seems to be the only way to root out what's happening on the Sword Coast.~ + T2ValF2Quest
++ ~If I can avenge Gorion, it will be worth the hardship.~ + T2ValF2Quest
++ ~You did choose to come with me, as I recall.~ + T2ValF2Adventure
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Fun
SAY ~You're crazy. I suspected as much before, but now I know.~
++ ~Eeeee heee heee! I don't suffer from insanity, I love it!~ + T2ValF2Insane
++ ~Come on. You really don't enjoy pushing yourself to the limit every day? I've never felt so alive!~ + T2ValF2Alive
++ ~Stop moping around, Valerie. You're an adventurer now!~ + T2ValF2Adventure
++ ~Suit yourself. Good night.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Insane
SAY ~Oooookay. I'm going to back away very slowly. No sudden movements, Valerie, no sudden movements...~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Alive
SAY ~Heh. I'm not so energetic. I find life in books and artistry with the Weave, not... violence. Guess if it works for you, though, it works. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Adventure
SAY ~Only as a means to an end, <CHARNAME>. Good night.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Quest
SAY ~Without getting the Cowled Wizards, Order of the Radiant Heart, or your Flaming Fist to send a strike force, probably so. Doesn't mean I enjoy the lifestyle.~
++ ~I don't, either, but we do what we must.~ + T2ValF2Must
++ ~I do, but each to their own.~ + T2ValF2Must
++ ~I enjoy it. I never feel so alive as when I'm on adventure.~ + T2ValF2Alive
++ ~Just be ready in the morning.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Must
SAY ~Indeed. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Wine
SAY ~My taste for wine disappointed my father. He's one of Athkatla's more industrious brewers, and I think he supplies half the city's inns with beer.~
++ ~Sounds like a comfortable home life. How did you end up in the Cowled Wizards?~ + T2ValF2CW
++ ~You've never talked about your family before. Always your fellow apprentices.~ + T2ValF2Family
++ ~Great. Of all the sorceresses in the world, why did I have to get the drunk one?~ + T2ValF2Drunk
++ ~I see. Good night, Valerie.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2CW
SAY ~The usual way. Managed to cast a spell when I was young, the Cowled Wizards showed up to investigate the disturbance, they took me with them when they left.~
++ ~That's a horrible thing to do to a child.~ + T2ValF2Horrible
++ ~Didn't your parents try to do something?~ + T2ValF2Parents
++ ~You don't seem very sad about being taken away from your parents.~ + T2ValF2Sad
++ ~So the Cowled Wizards can track the use of magic?~ + T2ValF2Track
END

IF ~~ T2ValFamily
SAY ~I was taken by the Cowled Wizards when I was six. My fellow apprentices and my tutors were my family. Not unlike your situation, I suppose.~
++ ~That's a horrible thing to do to a child.~ + T2ValF2Horrible
++ ~Didn't your parents try to do something?~ + T2ValF2Parents
++ ~You don't seem very sad about being taken away from your parents.~ + T2ValF2Sad
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Horrible
SAY ~And a necessary one. I doubt I could have learned to control my abilities otherwise, insofar as I *can* control them. Magic is dangerous, <CHARNAME>. Never forget that.~
++ ~But don't you miss your parents?~ + T2ValF2Miss
++ ~I disagree. Magic isn't dangerous. The person who wields it is.~ + T2ValF2Danger
++ ~Dangerous or no, the Cowled Wizards shouldn't take children away from their parents.~ + T2ValF2Take
++ ~I won't. Good night.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Miss
SAY ~...No. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Danger
SAY ~If a child has a sword in her hands, the safest thing to do is take the sword away from her. <CHARNAME>, please go to bed or at least stop talking to me before you ruin what was a perfectly nice evening of mine.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Take
SAY ~Easy for you to say, oh scion of Candlekeep. A literally textbook case of an ivory tower. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Parents
SAY ~Do what? My mother was overjoyed to see me taken away. My father won't amass in his lifetime the kind of gold it would take to secure his daughter from the Cowled Wizards.~
++ ~I'm so sorry for you...~ + T2ValF2Sorry
++ ~Why was your mother so happy?~ + T2ValF2Mother
++ ~Weren't you sad to leave your parents?~ + T2ValF2Miss
++ ~I see. Good night.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Sorry
SAY ~I'm not. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Mother
SAY ~Because I was finally gone, of course. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Sad
SAY ~I've made my peace with it. I'm not going to mope for decades on end over something I had no control over. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Track
SAY ~Do not cast arcane spells in Athkatla unless you have a license from the Cowled Wizards. Good night.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Torm
SAY ~I do. Torm, the Loyal Fury, god of duty, obedience, and loyalty. Odd for a sorceress to worship him, I know, and I do pray to Mystra on occasion, but magic is merely how I serve.~
++ ~Isn't that a bit contradictory? Praying to multiple gods?~ + T2ValF2Pantheon
++ ~Why do you love duty so much? Odd for a sorceress, but odder still for a young woman like you.~ + T2ValF2Duty
++ ~Why not Helm or Lathander? They seem to be the main do-gooder gods around here.~ + T2ValF2Choice
++ ~I see. Good night, Valerie.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Pantheon
SAY ~Torm doesn't begrudge my prayers to Mystra, nor she my prayers to Torm. Clerics and paladins are the only ones the gods really expect to pray to one god alone.~
++ ~You're not a cleric? Could have fooled me.~ + T2ValF2Cleric
++ ~I'm surprised you never aspired to be a paladin.~ + T2ValF2Paladin
++ ~Are those the only gods you worship?~ + T2ValF2Gods
++ ~Interesting. I'll leave you to your wine, then.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Cleric
SAY ~(Valerie laughs) Don't think it hasn't occurred to me, but I can't seem to pursue religious studies without abandoning my magical development, something I'd rather not do. Were that I had elven or gnomish blood so I could multitask like they do...~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Paladin
SAY ~Me? A paladin? Be serious, <CHARNAME>! I don't have the muscle to do the big weapon and heavy armor routine, much less the fortitude to play knight! No, it's a mage's life for me. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Gods
SAY ~I've prayed to Sune before, of course. What girl hasn't? And Oghma, when studying for an examination. But that's about it, I think. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Duty
SAY ~I'm a sorceress, <CHARNAME>. I'm odd by definition. I never thought about it much. I can protect people, so I do. It just... comes naturally to me, I guess.~
++ ~Why not Mystra? Or Sune? I'd think those more your style as a young sorceress.~ + T2ValF2MS
++ ~I'm surprised you're not a cleric.~ + T2ValF2Cleric
++ ~Why did't you become a paladin, with that attitude?~ + T2ValF2Paladin
++ ~Each to their own, I guess. Good night.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2MS
SAY ~Oh I do pray to them, on occasion. But beauty is such a transient thing, and magic is simply a powerful, dangerous tool. Duty is my calling, <CHARNAME>. Good night.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Choice
SAY ~They're both too... short-sighted, for my tastes. Youth is fleeting and the sun sets each night. And unlike Helm, Torm knows that laws are not always just and we should never obey orders or laws blindly.~
++ ~Valerie, I worship Lathander. Please respect my faith while you're in my company.~ + T2ValF2Lathander
++ ~You *do* know I serve Helm, right?~ + T2ValF2Helm
++ ~Heh. I'm surprised you're not a cleric.~ + T2ValF2Cleric
++ ~I see. Don't stay up too late, Valerie. We'll probably need your spells tomorrow.~ + T2ValF2Sleep
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Lathander
SAY ~I do, and I respect the Morninglord's followers. He's just not a deity I can see myself ever following. Good night, <CHARNAME>, and may the Morninglord bless you with the dawn.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Helm
SAY ~I do, and I'm not about to launch a crusade against the Watcher and his followers. Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF2Sleep
SAY ~Good night, <CHARNAME>.~
END

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#2 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

A few more banters and another friendtalk.

Valerie/Yeslick

CHAIN
IF
~CombatCounter(0)
InParty("T2Val")
InParty("yeslick")
See("T2Val")
!See ([ENEMY])
!StateCheck("yeslick",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
!StateCheck("T2Val",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("T2ValYTalk1","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN BT2Val T2ValYTalk1
~Yeslick, do you have a minute? I'm trying to translate something from dwarven, and I'm not sure what a couple of these runes mean.~ DO ~SetGlobal("T2ValYTalk1","GLOBAL",1)~
== _BYESLI ~Let's have a look. Aye, that one means 'truth' and that one's 'beauty.' Moradin's anvil, what are ye doing with dwarven poetry, long-limbs?~
== BT2Val ~Mainly? Trying to learn to read dwarven, and your runes for more abstract concepts are hard to decipher.~
== _BYESLI ~And ye picked blasted *poetry* to translate?~
== BT2Val ~Um. Yes, actually. It's different from human poetry.~
== _BYESLI ~Ye don't blasted say! I don't know to be proud of ye or worried about ye, long-limbs!~
END

Valerie/Ajantis

CHAIN
IF
~CombatCounter(0)
InParty("T2Val")
InParty("ajantis")
See("T2Val")
!See ([ENEMY])
!StateCheck("ajantis",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("T2ValAjTalk1","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN BT2VAL T2ValAjTalk1
~Sir Ajantis? Lord Keldorn's squire? What are you doing on the Sword Coast?~ DO ~SetGlobal("T2ValAjTalk1","GLOBAL",1)~
== _BAJANT ~I am sorry, lady Lysander, but have we met before?~
== BT2VAL ~No, but Lord Keldorn's exploits are legendary in the church of Torm. People thought it was very odd that he would take a paladin of Helm as his squire. Last I heard, though, Lord Keldorn was still in Athkatla.~
== _BAJANT ~I see. Surely you have noticed there is an evil taint to the Sword Coast. Lord Keldorn gave me leave to pursue this matter.~
== BT2VAL ~Ah. The Cowled Wizards didn't call it an evil taint, but a demon incursion like what rumors said of the Naskhel mines does get our attention.~
== _BAJANT ~I imagine it would. As it is, the Cowled Wizards prefer to be the ones summoning demons themselves, I would say.~
== BT2VAL ~Uh... no. The last time a Cowled Wizard summoned demons, his last name was Corthala and I'm sure you can guess what happened after that.~
== _BAJANT ~It was a jest, lady Lysander, though I confess I only know the surname Corthala in passing.~
== BT2VAL ~A joke? From a paladin? Uh... nevermind. Good to meet you and all that. Mind giving me a minute for my blush to fade?~
== _BAJANT ~Of course, lady Lysander. Take your time.~
END

Valerie/Imoen

CHAIN
IF
~CombatCounter(0)
InParty("T2Val")
InParty("imoen")
See("T2Val")
!See ([ENEMY])
!StateCheck("imoen",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("T2ValImTalk1","GLOBAL",1)
Global("T2ValImTalk2","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN _BIMOEN T2ValImTalk2
~You been talking a lot about how magic works, Val. How do you know so much about casting spells? I thought you just waved your hands and blasted people.~ DO ~SetGlobal("T2ValImTalk2","GLOBAL",1)~
== BT2VAL ~It's a little more complicated than that, but that actually *is* more or less how I cast spells. Unlike some people I could name, though, I study.~
== _BIMOEN ~Hehe. Alright, alright. Think I could learn do cast spells like you do? Tryin' to learn all these incantations and movements is pretty boring.~
== BT2VAL ~They're necessary to manipulate the Weave. Sorcerers like me are born, not trained.~
== _BIMOEN ~You're such a killjoy. Won't even let a girl dream!~
== BT2VAL ~Magic isn't a toy, Immy.~
== _BIMOEN ~Hey! Only <CHARNAME> gets to call me that!~
== BT2VAL ~Imoen, what do you think you're - oh, Torm! Ahahahaha! - stop th-!~
== _BIMOEN ~Hee hee. Nothin' like a tickle attack to bring a mighty mage to her knees!~
== BT2VAL ~*Panting* Imoen... I will... have... my... revenge...~
END

Valerie/Skie

CHAIN
IF
~CombatCounter(0)
InParty("T2Val")
InParty("skie")
See("T2Val")
!See ([ENEMY])
!StateCheck("skie",CD_STATE_NOTVALID)
Global("T2ValSkTalk2","GLOBAL",0)~
THEN %SKIE_BANTER% T2ValSkTalk2
~Could I learn magic like yours?~ DO ~SetGlobal("T2ValSkTalk2","GLOBAL",1)~
== BT2Val ~No, and I have no idea why you'd want to.~
== %SKIE_BANTER% ~Casting magic would be neat! I wouldn't have to study a spellbook, either!~
== BT2Val ~And be subject to dangerous arcane forces you can't control?~
== %SKIE_BANTER% ~You control yourself!~
== BT2Val ~Because I've been trained to do so. And you, Skie Silvershield, have no discipline that I know of.~
== %SKIE_BANTER% ~You're like daddy's friend, Liia Jannath.~
== BT2Val ~How so?~
== %SKIE_BANTER% ~You hate the idea that someone enjoys something you don't like. You can't stand someone taking joy in what you consider so serious.~
END

Valerie/Charname

//Friendtalk 13
//Fire on rest

IF ~Global("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",26)~ T2ValFriendTalk13
SAY ~<CHARNAME>, if you've got a few minutes, I'd like your help with something. Don't worry, it's completely mundane and there's no wine in sight.~
++ ~Certainly. What's going on?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF13sup
++ ~Awww, but I liked the wine.~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF13wine
++ ~Can't you get one of the others to help you with it?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBA",2500)~ + T2ValF13others
++ ~I'm kind of busy right now. Can it wait?~ DO ~IncrementGlobal("T2ValFriendTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("T2ValFriendTimer","GLOBAL",2500)~ + T2ValF13wait
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13sup
SAY ~I'm starting to write down everything we've done on our travels, for posterity and for telling my superiors just where I was all this time. The Nashkel mines, the bandit camps, the Cloakwood, Baldur's Gate... we've done a lot, haven't we?~
++ ~And what a long, strange trip it's been.~ + T2ValF13trip
++ ~Not enough, Valerie. Until the Iron Throne is stopped once and for all, we haven't done enough.~ + T2ValF13enough
++ ~They do say it's more about the journey than the destination.~ + T2ValF13journey
++ ~If you're hiding a bottle of wine in your bags, seems like a good occasion to uncork it.~ + T2ValF13cork
++ ~So are you my biographer now?~ + T2ValF13bio
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13wine
SAY ~It's a bad habit. Tends to get me depressed and mopey. Anyhow, I'm starting to write down all that we've done on the Sword Coast. The Nashkel mines, the bandit camps, the Cloakwood, Baldur's Gate... it took longer than I thought to recount them.~
++ ~Quite a trip it's been.~ + T2ValF13trip
++ ~It's a start, but until the Iron Throne is stopped, it's only a start.~ + T2ValF13enough
++ ~What do the bards like to say... it's the journey, not the destination?~ + T2ValF13journey
++ ~This our cue to find a bottle of wine and uncork it?~ + T2ValF13cork
++ ~You're writing a biography of me now?~ + T2ValF13bio
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13others
SAY ~I could, but I'd like your particular insight into this.~
++ ~Okay, what gives?~ + T2ValF13sup
++ ~Change your mind about no wine and we'll see.~ + T2ValF13wine
++ ~I'm busy at the moment. Can this wait?~ + T2ValF13wait
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13wait
SAY ~I suppose it's not important. Maybe some other time.~
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13trip
SAY ~People are toasting your name in Nashkel, Beregost, and the Friendly Arm Inn. Even Baldur's Gate and Athkatla have probably heard your name. You've probably got a baby or two named after you.~
= ~What I wanted to ask you, <CHARNAME>, is why you're doing this. Is it just revenge, or something more?~
++ ~War between Baldur's Gate and Amn would be a terrible thing. If I can stop it, I must.~ + T2ValF13war
++ ~This can't be just about a war. The Iron Throne's machinations run deeper than that. I intend to find out what it is about.~ + T2ValF13plot
++ ~It's about saving the Sword Coast, but I won't deny that I'm looking forward to avenging Gorion.~ + T2ValF13save
++ ~Justice, Valerie. Not revenge.~ + T2ValF13justice
++ ~And what if it is just revenge?~ + T2ValF13revenge
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13enough
SAY ~But why, <CHARNAME>? Why are you going to such lengths? People are talking about you from Baldur's Gate to Athkatla, and odds are <CHARNAME> is going to be a popular name in the next generation of the Sword Coast. Why are you pushing so hard and far?~
++ ~You know as well as I do how terrible war between Baldur's Gate and Amn would be. It cannot be permitted.~ + T2ValF13war
++ ~I doubt this is just about a war. I have a bad feeling that this crisis has a deeper purpose, and I intend to find out what that purpose is.~ + T2ValF13plot
++ ~Saving the Sword Coast is the goal, yes, but avenging Gorion is a definite bonus.~ + T2ValF13save
++ ~This isn't about revenge. It's about justice.~ + T2ValF13justice
++ ~What would you say if it really was as simple as avenging Gorion?~ + T2ValF13revenge
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13journey
SAY ~Not many journeys are as hazardous to your health as this one. Or... to your mental health. <CHARNAME>, why are you doing this? Not the answer you give grateful townsfolk, but what's driving you? Revenge? Or something more?~
= ~People toast your name across the Sword Coast. Athkatla's probably heard your name, and odds are you're going to be the namesake of a number of children running around the Sword Coast. What does it all mean to you, really?~
++ ~Too many lives would be lost in war between Baldur's Gate and Amn. I have to stop it from happening.~ + T2ValF13war
++ ~This goes deeper than war. Too many things don't add up. I intend to find out what's *really* going on.~ + T2ValF13plot
++ ~Saving the Sword Coast, good. Saving the Sword Coat and avenging Gorion, better.~ + T2ValF13save
++ ~This is justice, Valerie. Not vengeance.~ + T2ValF13justice
++ ~You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned revenge, I'm afraid.~ + T2ValF13revenge
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13cork
SAY ~Nice try, though I bet people are celebrating your deeds in Nashkel, Beregost, and the Friendly Arm Inn. Baldur's Gate and Athkatla probably know your name. You're going down in the history books.~
= ~What I wanted to ask you, <CHARNAME>, is why you're doing this. Is it just revenge, or something more?~
++ ~You know as well as I do how terrible war between Baldur's Gate and Amn would be. It cannot be permitted.~ + T2ValF13war
++ ~This can't be just about a war. The Iron Throne's machinations run deeper than that. I intend to find out what it is about.~ + T2ValF13plot
++ ~Saving the Sword Coast, good. Saving the Sword Coat and avenging Gorion, better.~ + T2ValF13save
++ ~This isn't about revenge. It's about justice.~ + T2ValF13justice
++ ~And what if it is just revenge?~ + T2ValF13revenge
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13bio
SAY ~Don't flatter yourself. I'm sure there's some bard who can sop your vanity if that's what you want. What I want to know is why you're doing all this. From the Nashkel mines to the bandits to the Cloakwood, you've done a lot to stabilize the region.~
= ~Is it simply for revenge? For your foster father? Or something else?~
++ ~War between Baldur's Gate and Amn would be a terrible thing. If I can stop it, I must.~ + T2ValF13war
++ ~This goes deeper than war. Too many things don't add up. I intend to find out what's *really* going on.~ + T2ValF13plot
++ ~Saving the Sword Coast is the goal, yes, but avenging Gorion is a definite bonus.~ + T2ValF13save
++ ~This is justice, Valerie. Not vengeance.~ + T2ValF13justice
++ ~You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned revenge, I'm afraid.~ + T2ValF13revenge
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13war
SAY ~Really? I don't mean to sound like I'm doubting you, but I'm surprised all the same. I've always wondered if heroes like Lord Keldorn Firecam were really as idealistic as the stories say. Guess they are, or some of them at any rate.~
++ ~What's so hard to believe about it? You don't want to stop the war?~ + T2ValF13believe
++ ~You're pretty cynical for a newly-minted Cowled Wizard.~ + T2ValF13cynical
++ ~I don't deny I have selfish reasons as well, but I really do want to stop this war from happening.~ + T2ValF13selfish
++ ~Okay, you got me. It sounds good, but really, I'm after something closer to home.~ + T2ValF13deceive
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13believe
SAY ~Of course I do, but this is my first time getting acquainted with genuine heroism. Feels good, doesn't it?~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13cynical
SAY ~My fault for reading so much, I guess, and living in Athkatla breeds a cynical view of the world. Maybe I should request permanent assignment to the northlands...~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13selfish
SAY ~That's very human of you, and I don't blame you a bit. Selfishness is one thing so long as it doesn't rule you, I think.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13deceive
SAY ~I wish I was surprised. You put on a good act, <CHARNAME>. If you had said you were in this for idealistic reasons, I would have believed you.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13plot
SAY ~An enigma wrapped in a mystery, as one of my teachers liked to say. Do you really think we can get to the bottom of this and stop it, whatever 'it' is?~
++ ~We've had breadcrumbs enough to lead us this far. Our enemy really isn't good at covering their tracks.~ + T2ValF13breadcrumbs
++ ~Why not? We've gotten this far and are still on the trail.~ + T2ValF13trail
++ ~I don't know. But I'll be damned if I'm not going to try.~ + T2ValF13try
++ ~It does seem unlikely. We've done the unlikely before, though.~ + T2ValF13unlikely
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13breadcrumbs
SAY ~True enough. Whoever this would-be mastermind is, he's sloppy. Smart and cunning, but sloppy. Thank Torm our enemies aren't as good as they probably think they are.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13trail
SAY ~Hah. Trailblazing isn't exactly my thing, but I'll do what I can. We've done enough hiking through the wilds, physical and metaphorical, that perhaps I should start learning the art of pathfinding.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13try
SAY ~I respect that, <CHARNAME>, and you. Go down a hero or go down swinging, Torm says there's no shame in either. Just between you and me, though, I prefer the first option.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13unlikely
SAY ~True. Maybe you should start advertising your services: <CHARNAME> and Company, doers of the unlikely, risky, and barely plausible. Impossible costs extra. Don't give me that look, it's something to do after this mess ends one way or the other.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13justice
SAY ~I'm not going to get into an argument about justice versus revenge with you. I know better than to think I can change your mind. Just... be careful. If stories are any indication, you're walking a dangerous precipice.~
++ ~Relax. The death of my father figure isn't going to turn me into some emotionally wrecked vigilante for the rest of my life.~ + T2ValF13batman
++ ~It would be revenge if it was just about Gorion, but he hasn't been the only casualty of this conflict.~ + T2ValF13casualty
++ ~I'm content to let history judge me.~ + T2ValF13history
++ ~Stop worrying. I know what I'm doing.~ + T2ValF13worry
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13batman
SAY ~I hope not. The moment a mask and cape come out, I'm calling it quits. No offense.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13casualty
SAY ~True enough. And from what you've said, I doubt the man responsible for Gorion's death will just come quietly.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13history
SAY ~Don't try to be a great man, just be a man. Let history make its own judgment. A proverb of Torm's, <CHARNAME>. Maybe I should pay more attention to temple services.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13worry
SAY ~I hope so, <CHARNAME>. I really do.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ T2ValF13revenge
SAY ~Well... if it saves the Sword Coast and Amn, I guess, but I'd rather not discuss this further.~
IF ~~ EXIT
END

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri