• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

Eight people have commented on your idea. Two have expressed interest. Your're suffering from confirmation bias, Imp, and one of those two said she had no plans of implementing it, just that it's an interesting idea. And with all due respect, the negative response to your idea isn't from any lack of creative energy among modders. There's no creativity involved. It's adding a token system to the game, nothing more.

Edited by Tempest, 11 October 2012 - 09:44 AM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#22 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

"I could have saved how much by switching to platinum?"

GAAAAAAH!!!

Posted Image

Don't make this guy's mistake and have your head explode because you are worried about the rapid decline in the price of gold. With the amount you would be saving yearly by switching to platinum coins and bullion, you would have to using a cursed scroll of foolishness to pass up this offer. Take advantage of our system today and secure your future now.

Baldur's Gate 1 NPCs in SoA & ToB

http://www.baldursga...downfile&id=177

Forum:

http://www.baldursga...php?board=133.0

Smiling Imp Cross Banter Mod

http://www.baldursga...a=view;down=196

ZELINK (Zelda x Link) mod for Baldur's Gate 2 SOA

http://archive04.fil...3b/n/ZELINK.ace

#23 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Posted Image
pee pee
doo doo
it is a bad coin

That's a stupid idea and completely impossible to implement now. You should've tried at least eight years ago.
e: I can't call ideas stupid on SHS so at least it's very very bad.
e2: And your third image is extra creepy, good job on being creepy you creep.

Edited by Almateria, 11 October 2012 - 10:17 AM.

#24 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

Eight people have commented on your idea. Two have expressed interest.

Obviously you have never been in sales. That is actually a kick ass ratio!

There's no creativity involved. It's adding a token system to the game, nothing more.

Come now, tempest, I hardly think you are equipped to judge creative output.

That's a stupid idea and completely impossible to implement now. You should've tried at least eight years ago.

You realize this is for modders right?

Edited by Smiling Imp, 11 October 2012 - 10:36 AM.

Forum:

#25 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:24 AM

And your third image is extra creepy, good job on being creepy you creep.

Sex sells baby!

Forum:

#26 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

You realize this is for modders right?

That's what I'm trying to tell you, man >:[ You could've been the great trendsetter if you started back in the days when the modding was fresh, and today hundreds of mods would be using the platinum coins. You'd be the great idea man and people would praisahahaha it just struck me, you are literally proposing BG2 Bitcoins.

Use 'em if you want, ignore 'em (or just sell 'em) if you don't ... but let's try to keep things friendly here, okay? :lol2:

Your statements are a poison to quality advancement.

Edited by Almateria, 11 October 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#27 TDouglas

TDouglas

Unwashed Wildling

• 121 posts

Donator

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

Bleh, this is starting to degenerate into a flame war ... pointlessly. If the Imp wants to implement platinum coins, so be it. If other modders chose to do so as well, fine and dandy too. BUT ... that's no reason for all the negativity. It doesn't really matter if they're there or not, does it?

Use 'em if you want, ignore 'em (or just sell 'em) if you don't ... but let's try to keep things friendly here, okay? :lol2:

#28 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

Come now, tempest, I hardly think you are equipped to judge creative output.

Considering I've completed a full BG2+ToB NPC mod and am almost finished with a BG1 NPC mod? I'd say I am.

If - if - people are interested, they may implement this. Most, it appears, will not. Now please knock off the salesman act. You made your point amidst a great deal of pointless invective, and please do not degenerate this thread to the point that I must invoke my position as a moderator. That goes for you, too, Almateria.

Edited by Tempest, 11 October 2012 - 12:12 PM.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#29 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

That's what I'm trying to tell you, man >:[ You could've been the great trendsetter if you started back in the days when the modding was fresh, and today hundreds of mods would be using the platinum coins. You'd be the great idea man and people would praisahahaha it just struck me, you are literally proposing BG2 Bitcoins.

If that is the way you really feel, then what is the point of you even posting in a Baldur's Gate forum, seeing as how the game is old? Perhaps you should find something else to take up your time and leave the idea making to the people that enjoy the game and are still actively producing stuff.

Considering I've completed a full BG2+ToB NPC mod and am almost finished with a BG1 NPC mod? I'd say I am.

Not bad.. But while you were doing that I made a mod that introduces 18 npcs to the game, a new area to Athkatla, over four hundred new items and tons of new banters and quests.. in less than a year. Not to mention that I personally wrote about 75% of the banters submitted to the cross banter mod this deadline, all in less than a month.

Bleh, this is starting to degenerate into a flame war ... pointlessly. If the Imp wants to implement platinum coins, so be it. If other modders chose to do so as well, fine and dandy too. BUT ... that's no reason for all the negativity. It doesn't really matter if they're there or not, does it?

I'm afraid this is not really about the platinum coins now, is it? After all, even if they did not believe in the system, what harm would it do to add one simple item and help another modder in the process?

No, the truth is that the modding 'community' is now only a community in name. What once was is gone and is now replaced by a bunch of petty, jealous independent artists that pat each other on the back, adding nothing but negativity, living off past, not having actually produced anything in years. I realized this when approaching modders for doing some crossbanter. Most of the best modders are retired or semi-retired and I can truthfully tell you that the amount of positive thinking modders out there that are still actively creating stuff and are open to new ideas, you could probably count on one hand.

Anyways, that is why I am not bummed if I get negative responses. When I sold Rolex, I would meet a hundred people a day, and 99 of them would waste their own time, coming into the store just to tell me that they would never buy one. Then one guy will come in, slap down $32,500 in cash for a watch. Trying to convince the other 99 to buy is a waste of time if they don't have the money, just like trying to convince modders that don't mod anymore. All I need is for a few people who actively mod to take part.

Edited by Smiling Imp, 11 October 2012 - 01:58 PM.

Forum:

#30 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Smiling Imp, this is an official moderator warning. Stop the personal attacks and attacks on the general community, rude insinuations about the community and individuals, and aggressive mod proselytizing, or further steps will be taken.

#31 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

What Smiling Imp is proposing is essentially putting in a new type of gem, as GeN1e remarked elsewhere. So it's a coin, but Aurora's Shoes puts in a good half dozen or so new gems, all of which can be sold for cash (gold), some of which can be used to upgrade items. I don't think what Smiling Imp is proposing is revolutionary, nor do I think it should be discouraged. And I'm not a moderator here, Tempest, and maybe I didn't read every single post, but I didn't see anything like a personal attack that requires a warning. If anything, it's the people who are calling it a "stupid" idea that may need to back off a bit before they attack a modder who's actually done some work to implement this. I'm not saying it's an outstanding idea, but it's certainly not a bad idea to put in a new type of "treasure" (apart from finding the usual zircons, GP, etc.). Active modders should not be discouraged from their ideas unless their ideas are truly daft, and implementing other types of coins is certainly not daft. Again, we're talking about a mod situation, and as I always say -"Don't like it? Don't install it." The idea of a new type of coin is hardly taboo enough to ban someone or lock discussion about it, in my opinion.

Edited by Miloch, 11 October 2012 - 03:19 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#32 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

How about this money lender guy giving prospective platinum prospectors (I made pun yes? :P) a free Bag of Holding... I mean a Coin Bag :ph34r: To hold all of them coins and stuff :lol:

As if the game had not enough lag due to those bags and the PartyHas() rutines the mods add... just saying.

If the vanilla game and a few mods are the cause of lags... The bags probably aren't the reason :P Megamods? Don't use ToBEx and sure they chew up the system! :D

I just proposed it for the peeps who thought managing the inventory was a PITA :lol:

Also, randomness is always awesome :D Just the other day, I got a swishy nice looking Pirate's Cutlass (+3) from a random Gibberling in my megamodded game... Khalid has never been more piratey :devil:
To the balance mongers, the cutlass has a 10% chance of making the wielder berserk... and he always seems to go for Edwin :(

@Smiling Imp: Mama always said, the best things you do are the ones you do yourself :P Add them platinums to the treasure tables and that's that :D
Also, I'll have to agree with Almateria here, those imagey posts are starting to cheesy now :lol:

@Miloch: ToBEx extends the RNDSTUFF.2DAs to go the entire 200 rows btw ^_^ ADD MOAR GEMZ TO DEM!!! :D

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#33 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

, the truth is that the modding 'community' is now only a community in name. What once was is gone and is now replaced by a bunch of petty, jealous independent artists that pat each other on the back, adding nothing but negativity, living off past, not having actually produced anything in years. I realized this when approaching modders for doing some crossbanter. Most of the best modders are retired or semi-retired and I can truthfully tell you that the amount of positive thinking modders out there that are still actively creating stuff and are open to new ideas, you could probably count on one hand.

Are you from the Bizarro World? The 'community' is still a strong circlepat, that's never changed. (And this no negativity policy is even worse than what you described. Hellooo Tempest!)
And did you even read what I wrote? You can't introduce a new mechanic into the entire modding community 8 years after modding started. It will never catch on, just like the Zune didn't. Because it was released too long after the iPod, which grabbed the entire market. Do you get it?

And stop your e-penis waving contest

#34 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:20 PM

Alright, that's enough. We've had enough bravado and swaggering on all sides: cut it out. Smiling Imp, please keep the evangelising to a minimum. You've posted about your idea, the extra posts with no actual content are unnecessary and annoying. Nobody's getting warned. I'd appreciate it if everyone could remain civil and have some respect for each other. This is a public forum, not a pissing contest.

Cheers.

#35 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

Just the other day, I got a swishy nice looking Pirate's Cutlass (+3) from a random Gibberling in my megamodded game... Khalid has never been more piratey

Rofl, that's a random item from Aurora's Shoes (thought it was +2 though). So pretty much anyone has a chance to generate it, but to think a mere gibberling got a hold of the fearsome blade of the notorious Black Dhavrag, scourge of the Sword Coast... :D

Edit: and actually, the item was one I made for MajorTomSawyer who requested it for an Iron Modder entry he never ended up submitting, so I recycled it. :)

Edit2: and to continue derailing an already derailed thread, what say I add the following to the script that generates that sword, so the gibberling might actually go berserker on you with the cutlass?
	FillSlot(SLOT_WEAPON3)
	EquipMostDamagingMelee()

Edited by Miloch, 12 October 2012 - 04:31 AM.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#36 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 06:53 AM

, the truth is that the modding 'community' is now only a community in name. What once was is gone and is now replaced by a bunch of petty, jealous independent artists that pat each other on the back, adding nothing but negativity, living off past, not having actually produced anything in years. I realized this when approaching modders for doing some crossbanter. Most of the best modders are retired or semi-retired and I can truthfully tell you that the amount of positive thinking modders out there that are still actively creating stuff and are open to new ideas, you could probably count on one hand.

Are you from the Bizarro World? The 'community' is still a strong circlepat, that's never changed. (And this no negativity policy is even worse than what you described. Hellooo Tempest!)
And did you even read what I wrote? You can't introduce a new mechanic into the entire modding community 8 years after modding started. It will never catch on, just like the Zune didn't. Because it was released too long after the iPod, which grabbed the entire market. Do you get it?

And stop your e-penis waving contest

Still talking about this, aye? Well.. Frankly my dear, I don't give a <snip>.

Posted Image

Don't worry guys, Smiling Imp will no longer be a bother with creative ads and initiatives to try and get modders to work together. He is off to greener pastures where the creative energy never dies.

- Have fun...

Edited by K'aeloree, 12 October 2012 - 05:32 PM.
No swearing.

Forum:

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Eh, don't give in to e-bullying, Smiling Imp. You've done some great work with BG1-NPCs-in-BG2 and it would be a shame to lose you on account of a couple of trollish posts. I'll probably implement your platinum in Aurora's "random treasures" component (if for no other reason than the naysaying) and plus, you've still got to make your mods compatible with the forthcoming "Enhanced Editions." :)

#38 Smiling Imp

Smiling Imp
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:38 AM

Eh, don't give in to e-bullying, Smiling Imp. You've done some great work with BG1-NPCs-in-BG2 and it would be a shame to lose you on account of a couple of trollish posts.

Thanks Miloch.

and plus, you've still got to make your mods compatible with the forthcoming "Enhanced Editions." :)

Hmmm.. I hadn't thought about that or in fact even realized it was necessary. How does one go about accomplishing that?

Forum:

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hmmm.. I hadn't thought about that or in fact even realized it was necessary. How does one go about accomplishing that?

Join the forums at http://forum.baldursgate.com and ask to be a beta tester. :)

#40 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Someone upthread said that Forgotten Realms uses gold coins. While it is true that the economy in the FR is based around the gold coin, much Realmslore from all editions indicates other kinds (bronze, silver, platinum) of money are used. Of these, bronze and silver have no place in BG, being less than 1 gp, but platinum is not a bad idea.