Photo

Refinements: Wild Mage Problem

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

First off, I want to apologize for posting this problem again (I originally posted it in the MegaMod forum), but the root of the problem I am having is with this mod (I love Wild Mages and the HLA additions this mod has look amazing, that's why I am being so persistent =P).

Basically, I have installed a MegaMod for Baldur's Gate using BWP and the BWS Application. I installed BWP with the "Recommended BWP" settings with a few addons. After creating a Wild Mage, the first thing I noticed was that on my character sheet, the game was listing my character as a regular Mage instead of a Wild Mage. Secondly, Wild Surges are acting kinda funky. I noticed that with the Refinements mod, spell surges were working for the most part except for surges where Caster Level is supposed to be added.

Tests that I conducted were casting NRD -> Chaos Shield. Normally, caster level is supposed to be added when using NRD to cast the Chaos shields, but this did not happen. I also tried casting spells normally and after many, many attempts, wild surges pertaining to increased caster level never happened.

As soon as I uninstalled the HLA revisions, all these problems went away.

If anyone can shed some light into these bugs, I'd be most grateful!.

Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by Xaneth123, 21 October 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#2 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:05 PM

I tested by installing Refinements on a barebones BG2 install (just BG2Fixpack + ToBEx) and I could not reproduce your observation regarding the kit title. I'm not sure what problem are you having with Wild Surges (on the Mega Mod Help forum you claimed you never observed one, whereas here you claim that you're getting lower surges than expected); however, I tested by modding modded Chaos Shield to give +80 caster level on a level 20 Wild Mage, and observed similar wild surges when using NRD whether I was using Refinements or not. More detailed tests aren't particularly useful, BG2's "dices" aren't fair, but instead rerolled as a way to make 'rare' events more easy to trigger.

If I had to guess, some mod is slightly altering the kit in a way that, when Refinements is installed, the Wild Mage title is dropped; however, the problem you're having is likely confirmation bias (especially given the state of the BG2 "dices").

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#3 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the response!

For the Wild Surge problem with my first post (not seeing any surges), I re-tested that and realized I was only using Sleep to test Wild Surges. For some reason with my megamod install, sleep & summon Familiar (so far) are the only spells that cast 100% of the time. Other spells seemed to be working.

Regarding the kit change problem, where do you think I should start looking first? I have a few kit mods (Songs and Silence & Sword and Fist)

For the Wild Surge Caster Level problem, to be more specific, the information I was going off of was when the chatbox displayed the # of increased levels. I noticed with a lvl 1 Wild Mage (using NRD) that Chaos shield would increase caster level by 2 and Improved Chaos Shield would increase caster level by 13. With Refinements, that information was no longer displayed (maybe due to the kit change?).

So would it be a good guess that if I were to figure out the kit changing problem, the other Wild Mage problems would go away? (I hope lol)

#4 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

I'll try again after enabling that setting and will let you know what happens in my game.

A --change-log of your kitlist.2da, spwi222.spl and spwi723.spl files could be helpful in diagnosing which mod (if any) is messing up your game.

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public

#5 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:04 PM

Thanks a lot.

I'll get that information for you asap.

P.S. Just before you posted I uninstalled my current build =P (was going to start tweaking), but I saved my custom BWS setup. Reinstalling as we speak. Install takes about an hour on my computer, so I'll grab those change-logs for you as soon as I have finished installing.

Edited by Xaneth123, 22 October 2012 - 01:09 PM.

#6 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

No need to rush, I wouldn't look at them until tomorrow anyway ;)

#7 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

Hehe that's totally fine, I'm just glad you're taking the time to look!

Ok, I've attached the change-log files that you've asked for.

Attached Files

Edited by Xaneth123, 22 October 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#8 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

--change-log should also output a bunch of files in a directory named change-log in your BG2 game folder; do you have the contents of that? While you're there, can you also --change-log kit.ids?

EDIT: I also added spell_rev and Wild Mage additions, and still could replicate neither the loss of the kit title nor the disappearance of the "Caster Level Changed" line.

Edited by the bigg, 23 October 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#9 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Gotcha,

I've attached the added files with their respective change-logs.

Attached Files

Edited by Xaneth123, 23 October 2012 - 11:57 AM.

#10 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

It appears that the cause of the issue is that Aurora and level 1 NPCs are breaking your kit.ids.

If you want to install both Refinements and Aurora and/or level1NPCs (and I would, because I like both Aurora and L1NPCs), you can make the changes I mentioned in the threads yourself in a text editor (I like Notepad++) and reinstall the relevant mods.

#11 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:25 PM

Excellent!!

Thank you so much for looking into this, I will try these fixes out right away!

#12 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:42 PM

Quick question:

I'm assuming I have to edit these files before I install the mods?

#13 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

You could edit them just before you reinstall them.

#14 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

Ok great, thanks.

Edited by Xaneth123, 23 October 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#15 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

Hey Bigg,

Well, I changed the values of the Barbarian and Wildmage in both files and the Wild Mage kit still seems to be broken. Still changes to a regular mage class. I made sure to edit those files before the mod itself was installed. The only thing I changed in the files were the 0x0000 numbers.

Edit 1: Not sure if this will help, but I loaded up Shadowkeeper on a newly made Wild Mage that shifted to a regular mage, and the set value listed when I checked the Kit was Unknown 0x41140000. I tried to enter the 0x40000000 value, which is the same value as the one's used for the edited files, and Shadowkeeper lists it as a True Class. 0x80000000, which is the changed value for Barbarian listed as Unknown.

Under Shadowkeeper:
Wild Mage listed as = 0x00008000
Barbarian = 0x00004000

Hope that helps.

Edit 2: Here are my updated change-logs.

Edit 3: I created a bare-bones install of BG2 using your previous methodology with Aurora, Level 1 and Refinements and the Wild Mage kit is working correctly. So something else is affecting the kit.

Attached Files

Edited by Xaneth123, 23 October 2012 - 09:24 PM.

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:08 PM

Edit 3: I created a bare-bones install of BG2 using your previous methodology with Aurora, Level 1 and Refinements and the Wild Mage kit is working correctly. So something else is affecting the kit.

Or you loaded the old character ... as you need to start a new game and create a new character... the old once's are not compatiable.

EDIT:

I tried to enter the 0x40000000 value, which is the same value as the one's used for the edited files, and Shadowkeeper lists it as a True Class. 0x80000000, which is the changed value for Barbarian listed as Unknown.

Under Shadowkeeper:
Wild Mage listed as = 0x00008000
Barbarian = 0x00004000

The reason for this is that the shadow keeper reads the bites the wrong way around when compared to the mods.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 24 October 2012 - 12:07 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#17 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

I made a new character :(

I'm re-installing my build from scratch right now with the changes just to make sure.

Edit 1: Still not working with my newest install, made a new character again as well :(

Edited by Xaneth123, 24 October 2012 - 12:37 AM.

#18 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

As Jarno said, Shadow Keeper cannot properly patch kits; Near Infinity can, but is a bit technical to install and use.

Another mod I see breaking kit.ids is the Blade Master component of Revised Battles (not by itself, but mods installed after it patch incorrectly that kit). I would just skip the mod unless you really want that kit; if you do want to install the kit, open Setup-Revised_Battles.tp2 in a text editor and replace all instances of B#BLADE with B#BLADE_MASTER, except for the very last (the one written in lower case), and then reinstall Revised Battles.

If that doesn't fix the kit, I'm out of ideas that can be tested remotely, I'm afraid.

Edited by the bigg, 24 October 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#19 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Thanks Bigg

I'll give that a shot.

#20 Xaneth123

Xaneth123
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Removing Blade Master fixed it.

Thanks Bigg and Jarno for all your help!