Photo

Big Picture Enemy Combat Comments

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Xavier1161

Xavier1161
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

So, I just got back into Baldur's Gate a few months ago and, taking a friend's advice, downloaded a number of mods, including Big Picture. All of them were amazing, and I really liked the way that Big Picture made all of the battles harder- breezing through everything like it wasn't even there was getting tiring. However, the only problem I had with it was the comments that enemies made in combat. Things like "Die with your boots on;" "there they are!" (or something along those lines), and the response of "where? I don't see them;" or, when you kill an enemy, another one might say, "you bast*rd, you killed my friend" would appear in subtitles over the enemies' heads. While it was bearable when it was coming from goblins and bandits, it got a lot harder to take when it started coming out of golems.

I am wondering if there is any way to get rid of this (by, say, deleting a file, for instance), or if there is a version where this is not included. Anyway, thanks.

Edited by Xavier1161, 28 November 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#2 horred the plague

horred the plague

Scourge of the Seven Seas

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

Welcome! Glad you enjoyed the mod(s).

This one should be not too difficult to address--at least for the golems. The shouts you mentioned only are supposed to fire for a Humanoid or Giant Humanoid. As an oversight in the default files (and mine in not catching it earlier) they are also set to Giant Humanoid ("General" Identifier. Fortunately, they are listed w/ Race Identifier Golem. So, adding a simple check the above humanoid check, making sure they're also "not golems" should do the trick. Naturally, there may be some other loose cannons like the golem, but we can only fix them as we find them. :)

Now, it's not conceivably impossible to make the shouts an optional component--at least the part that you see on-screen. Enemy group coordination is dependent on the actual ("silent") script shouts, but the rest is just there for eye candy. Not everybody enjoys them as much as the next person, even if they like the overall results in combat. I'll consider it for BPv181, dependent on how much free time I have in the next few weeks.

#3 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

That's a long post, relativelly, and it lacked the assumably silent words of "Thanks, we'll make sure the BPv181 non beta will not make the golems say that." ... :cheers:

As for the dialog quotes, I assume you Xavier have the feedback on max, you should be able to change that from the game options menu's feedback options to not show up everything everyone shouts.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#4 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

That's a long post, relativelly, and it lacked the assumably silent words of "Thanks, we'll make sure the BPv181 non beta will not make the golems say that." ... :cheers:

Perhaps I was doing my bughunting while posting, instead of after. Multi-tasking, you know. Handy skill when modding BG2 is your third full-time job.

#5 Xavier1161

Xavier1161
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Horred, just to clarify, did you mean you would consider making all of the shouts optional, or only those that are not humanoid? And Jarno, what feedback settings would make the floating subtitles subtitles disappear.

#6 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Horred, just to clarify, did you mean you would consider making all of the shouts optional, or only those that are not humanoid?

Erhm, technically, horred is talking about the AI shouts in a portion of the original answer, which are the ones the enemy calls for other enemies to join in the fight -lets call these invisible shouts- , as in he won't remove them. But he will remove the larger enemy saying the things the smaller ones would, the ones that don't suit -let's call theses visible shouts-, and he might make all the visible shouts an optional component.

And Jarno, what feedback settings would make the floating subtitles subtitles disappear.

*The Imp goes to hide behind the game*... :ph34r:

It wasn't meant as a critic, just a hope that Xavier would notice it as a hint that you had meant it... that's why the cheers emico.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#7 horred the plague

horred the plague

• Modder
  • 1899 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thank you both for responding so quickly. Horred, just to clarify, did you mean you would consider making all of the shouts optional, or only those that are not humanoid?

Just snuck in some time at the day job. I've added a component for BPv181 which makes ALL visible shouts optional (all or nothing), and I fixed it so that golems will use the "creature shout" by default. It will cover any default golems and also mod golems that were set up properly (general: giant humaniod, race:golem). The creature shout script has far fewer strings in soundoff, and those few are emotes like "*grunts*, *growls*, *whimpers*" rather than actual words. Not perfect, but much better than speaking sentences.

#8 Xavier1161

Xavier1161
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Thanks, man, I appreciate it.