• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#21 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hello!

I found out about this topic only today and I will certainly be using this mod.

But I wonder if Sam. could take this a step further by offering an option to also re-enable the original background images for Chapters and Prologue. I have so far only seen the new background image for the prologue: I believe it is a disgrace and I don't have much faith the other ones are being much better.

I looked into it, and these chapter/prologue screens that were .MOS files are now the .PVR files which NearInfinity can not extract and DLTCEP can not yet properly handle.  Putting the original file (GUICHP0B.MOS) into the BGEE override folder makes the graphics in the game go haywire.  The BGEE engine tries to load the mos file (as it will with vanilla area files), but all of the GUI gets really messed up, even after the prologue/chapter screen closes and you start the game.  All this is to say, at this time, I don't think your request is possible/feasible for me to do.  Even if I could, the location of the scrolling text that is overlayed on these screens makes this idea more of a GUI mod than a movie-replacing mod (text isn't bounded within the same area as it was before).

Edited by Sam., 14 June 2013 - 08:21 PM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#22 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:44 PM

Well, thanks for the reply, .Sam. I was hoping for a different answer of course but at least I know you tried that already.

I guess ideally we'd need to find a way to convert the original game's MOS files into .PVR files overriding the BG:EE's ones?

Edited by Salk, 14 June 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#23 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:41 PM

Putting the original file (GUICHP0B.MOS) into the BGEE override folder makes the graphics in the game go haywire.  The BGEE engine tries to load the mos file (as it will with vanilla area files), but all of the GUI gets really messed up, even after the prologue/chapter screen closes and you start the game.
Actually, it seems I hosed my chitin.key while trying to extract the .PVR files, which caused these graphics glitches. It does load the .MOS files.

I guess ideally we'd need to find a way to convert the original game's MOS files into .PVR files overriding the BG:EE's ones?
Yeah, I would need to export the .PVR files from GUIMOSC.BIF, convert them to an image format I can edit, and then either convert them back to .PVR files or .MOS files which it seems the game can also use. Maybe WeiDU can extract them...

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#24 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

Interesting.

So this might still work... Perhaps Wisp could give us an answer?

#25 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:40 AM

WeiDU >= 231.06 can unbiff pvrz. From there on you are currently on your own.

#26 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:35 AM

Unfortunately the pvrz (compressed pvr) files used by BG:EE aren't 'standard' in that inside the PVR conversion routine you can define exactly how much compression you want when you convert from the base bitmap. Anything you create from a commercial pvr converter is not likely to be the same as Overhaul's.

In addition (and I haven't/can't check this) there will be a shim file by the same name as the original gui file that converts calls to the gui mos into pvrz calls; e.g. for area files you will still find a .tis file but it's only a few kb rather than the 17-18Mb of a normal tis tileset. To really stir the mess up, BG2EE compression is different again but I have no knowledge of how different is 'different'.

To answer the unspoken question: tileset pvrz files occupy around 25% of the disc space of a tis tileset. Go through all of the graphic interface and you might just have a chance of squeezing the game onto a mobile device.

I think I've just really fouled up someone's day...

-Y-

Edited by Yovaneth, 18 June 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#27 Salk

Salk
  • Modder
  • 1411 posts

Donator

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

Okay, let me see if I understood this right... We are stuck with those images and there is nothing we can do about it?  :shifty: With all the modders working on BG:EE I would have hoped the file formats to be more friendly...  :crying:

#28 -Silver83-

-Silver83-

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:26 AM

Now that 1.2.0 is out, is there a chance of an updated version of this mod?

#29 -Silver83-

-Silver83-

Posted 08 November 2013 - 09:30 AM

Just wanna add: so far it's working fine with 1.2.0.

#30 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 November 2013 - 04:27 PM

how do I unbiff a mos file in weidu please? Is there a tutorial somewhere please?

#31 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 15 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

edit to above

I have unbiffed a MOS file in both Weidu 235 and NI, but both times they are nearly empty in terms of data. How do we unbiff it properly please?!

#32 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:09 PM

I have unbiffed a MOS file in both Weidu 235 and NI, but both times they are nearly empty in terms of data. How do we unbiff it properly please?!
In BG:EE (and BGII:EE) the .MOS file is just a pointer to the .PVR(Z) file which contains the actual image data.  However, even if you extract it, there is no editor currently available that can convert/modify it.

Now that 1.2.0 is out, is there a chance of an updated version of this mod?
Just wanna add: so far it's working fine with 1.2.0.
It's in the works.

Edited by Sam., 15 November 2013 - 08:13 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#33 kungfuhobbit

kungfuhobbit
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:11 PM

@Wisp

Can Weidu actually extract the mos files correctly?

Im using --biff-get to extract chapter screens in v235 and the file extracts but incorrectly - it is only a few bytes in size

#34 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

@Wisp

Can Weidu actually extract the mos files correctly?

Im using --biff-get to extract chapter screens in v235 and the file extracts but incorrectly - it is only a few bytes in size

Most MOS files are pretty much just a thin wrapper around a PRVZ file in BG(II)EE.

#35 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1397 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

In BG:EE (and BGII:EE) the .MOS file is just a pointer to the .PVR(Z) file which contains the actual image data.  However, even if you extract it, there is no editor currently available that can convert/modify it.

Actually, the current development version of NearInfinity can already convert the new MOS files introduced by BG(2)EE into the old and known MOS format (the same is true for TIS files). You have to compile it by yourself for the time being, however.

Edited by Argent77, 23 November 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#36 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 02:44 PM

hi, I've got a rather weird bug.

I've downloaded your mod and consequentially started played bg:ee;  your mod works but only partially. For what I was able to see (I played bg 10 hours today) half of my cinematics are old-school (1998) while the others are the new cinematic inside Baldur's gate EE. What can I do?

edit: for example, I've got the old cinematic when I came inside the gnoll stronghold, but I got the EE cinematic when going inside the friendly arm's inn.

Edited by Sergio, 13 June 2014 - 02:45 PM.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#37 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:55 AM

hi, I've got a rather weird bug.

I've downloaded your mod and consequentially started played bg:ee;  your mod works but only partially. For what I was able to see (I played bg 10 hours today) half of my cinematics are old-school (1998) while the others are the new cinematic inside Baldur's gate EE. What can I do?

edit: for example, I've got the old cinematic when I came inside the gnoll stronghold, but I got the EE cinematic when going inside the friendly arm's inn.

This sounds like you installed the mod with option 2 instead of 1:

Install Component [Restore BG1 movies to BG: EE]?
[N]o, [Q]uit or choose one:
 1] Replace all movies
 2] Add missing movies

#38 Sergio

Sergio
  • 954 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:53 AM

thanks hook71; I will have to double check.

Low hung brow, dazed look on your face..... It appears that you are correct, my friend. You are indeed a complete imbecile.

#39 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 11:52 AM

I'm working on an update for BG: EE Classic Movies, but I'm going to need help with the WeiDU coding side of things.  It shouldn't require anything too challenging, but WeiDU isn't my area of expertise...  Any volunteers??

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#40 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

I will write code for you. Let me know what changes need to be made via PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: BGEE, Movies, WebM