Issue with NPC-NPC dialogues not firing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

Tob, new game, NPC-NPC banters not firing, though NPC-PC dialogues are. I tried forcing dialogue by advancing "Real Time" and game time. nothing. I noticed sometimes the triggers get "stuck" and you can "un-stick" them by initiating dialogue directly with a character and the most recent dialogue will fire (NPC-NPC, not initiated dialogue) Even this little trick isn't working. Is compatibility to blame here or is there other possible reasons for this?

(didn't bother listing my mods, nobody knows ALL the incompatibilities, so why bother, right?)

"Bestiae sumus, ut non bestiae simus." -Nashkel Headstone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Friend: You're cats pretty muscle-y...what's his name?

Me: Sarevok.

Friend: "YOUR CAT'S A BHAALSPAWN???"

#2 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:26 AM

The dialogue file accessed when you initiate dialogue with a character is the J file, the joined dialogue file. The dialogue file accessed during random banter is the B file, the banter file. Both are assigned by appending the appropriate 2da, pdialog.2da for the J file and interdia.2da for the B file.

There are really only two things that can go wrong when an NPC is supposed to talk and isn't. Either you have mismatches between the 2da and the actual dialogue file name (you called it NW#NPC_J in the 2da but you're calling it NW#NPC-J in the dialogue file) or you never initialized the file. Check to be sure that you have BEGIN NW#NPC_B somewhere, substituting the character's actual banter file name for NW#NPC_B.

To test banters called from the B file, you can't "unstick" them the same way you can when they're being called from the J. To test banters called from the B file, hit CTRL-I.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#3 Nightwoe

Nightwoe

Smoke's lover <3

• 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

Thanks

Edited by Nightwoe, 11 February 2013 - 10:19 AM.

"Bestiae sumus, ut non bestiae simus." -Nashkel Headstone.

Friend: You're cats pretty muscle-y...what's his name?

Me: Sarevok.

Friend: "YOUR CAT'S A BHAALSPAWN???"