• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:08 AM

There's nothing to criticize yet except for the idea of yet another romanceable NPC, because apparently there's a shortage of them. There isn't, that was a joke. There's enough NPCs to fill out a few dozens of full playthroughs, which also doesn't happen, because almost all of them are bad. And you can drop the 'almost' part when it comes to romances, because it's basically sharing a time-locked piece of fetish fanfiction.

I just really don't want for a new aspiring modder to lock himself in an echo chamber of backpatting and praise while exerting minimal effort in their mods.

#22 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:10 AM

Almateria, you are not the arbiter of the modding community. The point of the modding community is for people to write and share mods that they enjoy for other people to download or not download, enjoy or not enjoy, as they see fit. Personal tastes differ. Some people think there are enough romanceable NPCs. Others say there aren't enough. It is not your place to decide what new folks interested in modding should and should not do.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#23 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:16 AM

I'm sure you had the best of intentions, but that's irrevelant and I don't really care; you chose to express your thoughts in the most obnoxious and discouraging way possible. Don't. Now, a quick note on the actual idea. A split personality (which is very different from bipolarity, I'd like to point out) in an NPC sounds cool. Just be careful to do research on the disorder first in order to avoid ableism and offending people.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#24 fetfreak

fetfreak
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:24 AM

I'm not making this mod for you, or anyone else for that matter. This is a memorable character from one of our dnd campaigns that I would like to see in one of my favorite games. Since there is a strong modding community and I'm but a beginner I will share this little mod for all the help I need and will receive.

Is a research really that necessary? I have no intention of offending anyone but we are talking a about a character of fictional race in a fantasy world where a source for his illness may be magical, demonical or something entirely new.

#25 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:38 AM

Necessary? Of course not, but if you're intending to portray it as a split personality, that's what people will associate with. Besides, research can be a very good idea source and give you new perspectives on the ideas you already have.. :)

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#26 fetfreak

fetfreak
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 07:01 AM

I guess you are right. I'll look into it.

#27 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:23 AM

I'm not making this mod for you, or anyone else for that matter. This is a memorable character from one of our dnd campaigns that I would like to see in one of my favorite games. Since there is a strong modding community and I'm but a beginner I will share this little mod for all the help I need and will receive.

Is a research really that necessary? I have no intention of offending anyone but we are talking a about a character of fictional race in a fantasy world where a source for his illness may be magical, demonical or something entirely new.

That's exactly the same reason why I'm writing my NPC mod :) So, I encourage you, fetfreak, to develop the concept!

As for research, it needn't be deep, but getting the basic details of DPD/MPD will help guide you in making each personality distinct. Heh, you're almost writing two characters in one, and there will be opportunities for interaction with various other characters who won't know what to make of personality conflicts they see in the character, unless and until they learn the reason for it.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#28 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:25 AM

Another option, if it isn't too distant from your character concept, might be that the character is possessed, rather than suffering from a psychological disorder. Totally your call. I just wanted to mention it as a possibility.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#29 fetfreak

fetfreak
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well let's say it's gonna be a suprise at the end.

#30 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

By the way, this is probably a moot point, but did you play Dragon Age 2 with Anders in your party? If you didn't, I naturally recommend both Dragon Age games - and it's an interesting case of another personality manifesting itself, as well.

#31 fetfreak

fetfreak
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:17 AM

I did play it.

DA2 is painful for me. I still can't forgive bioware for that game.

But Andres is a good example.

Edited by fetfreak, 14 February 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#32 GeN1e

GeN1e

A very GAR character

• Modder
  • 1604 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:56 PM

Why are you starting with an NPC, literally everyone does that
There are like five thousands NPCs, and 99% of them are absolutely worthless and I'm super sure this one will be too. Why can't you start with anything else?

fake edit: of course there is a romance.

As a matter of fact, I think I do know the answer.

People often stick to their preferred combination of global enhancements and tweaks, spiced with some quest mods. Using exclusively vanilla characters grows boring after the Nth replay, and using mod-only NPCs has a drawback of lacking almost any crossmod banter interactions. As a result, the best way is to play one NPC mod at a time, and since their quality is usually exactly fanfic-level, it is easy to treat them as such, i.e. play once and forget. Of course, this means that for the next playthrough you need to find another NPC mod, and therefore 3-5 new ones per year is just the right quantity to select from - at least for those like me, who play BG once in a year.

Stick to Wikipedia-level research, and you should be fine enough. Only the small fraction of people possess encyclopedic knowledge of any subject, and they will see through your fiction no matter how hard you try to make it realistic. The rest would read an article in Wikipedia and call it a day.

Worse yet, trying to be overly realistic kills the fun - none of Hollywood blockbusters are realistic, and none cares.

That's an advice I heard from professional writers.

Edited by GeN1e, 15 February 2013 - 02:58 PM.

Retired from modding.