[TRANSLATION] A few strings from French to others languages

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:15 PM

I wish to provide custom-maps according to the language of install.

Let's begin with the first one :

gwbatl10.jpg

The name of the ship is "Licorne bondissante" which could be translated into "Jumping Unicorn" (or maybe "Leaping Unicorn").

Would anyone please be willing to translate the attached file into German, Italian or Spanish ?

Or just confirm my own italian translation (Saltando Unicorno or Saltará Unicorno) and grman one (Springendes Einhorn) ?

So I would be able to create different bam. files to insert into the .are file.

If I manage to handle with them, all the "special" strings of the maps would suit the language chosen for the install.

Thanks.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 20 March 2013 - 06:00 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#2 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:00 PM

In spanish is "El Unicornio Saltarín", and what file are you talking about?

#3 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:16 PM

Thanks for the translation.

I found Saltará unicornio (or Saltarín, or brincador) in two dictionnaries. So I prefer having the advice of mother tongue people !

In fact, the GW0008.tis file (the name of the area is GW0008) will be the french one. But I have put the string "Licorne bondissante" in a layer in Photoshop. I will change this layer with the translated ones, export the 64x64 squares in a bmp file and create a bam file with them (just like a fire animation).

Then I will add - let's say - the german, italian and spanish bam.files in the GW0008.are file, overwritting the squares with the french string, with the option "non visible".

Finally, according to the install you made, the setup.tp2 will change those flags in the GW0008.are file :

French : no change

Spanish : the spanish bam file becomes visible.

and so on....

I don't now if it will be efficient, but I will test it with your translation. It is the first time I am experimenting that way of making "fake changes" of tiles !

Edited by Gwendolyne, 20 March 2013 - 05:54 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#4 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Sorry for this new post, but if you already read the last one :

Must I use "El Unicornio Saltarín" or "El Unicornio saltarín" ?

CARPE DIEM ....

#5 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

Waiting for your response and other translations, here is the result in-game :

Spanish version :

gwbatl11.jpg

US version :

gwbatl12.jpg

using two small .bam files.

CARPE DIEM ....

#6 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

''Springendes Einhorn'' would indeed be the correct German translation.

Nice work by the way :)

#7 Lisandro

Lisandro
  • 126 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:26 PM

It would be "El Unicornio Saltarín" because is a name, It is like my cat's name: "Ana María". When is a name, alias, surname, cities, institutions, etc... is always in capital.

And... it looks great!

¡Nos Vemos!

#8 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:32 PM

@Lisandro : OK. Since now, I will use that rule.

@Ulb : thanks for the answer.

And it seems that my "fake changing tiles" process is a success !

gwbatl13.jpg

CARPE DIEM ....

#9 -Gast-

-Gast-

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:25 AM

Très bien, Gwendolyne! It looks very promising.

Two things: I'am missing the 'Horn' on your figure de proue. Ce n'est pas 'grave', but I remember well a figure de proue with a horn (Narwalzahn?) in a museum here in my hometown. It looks great and with that horn it would match the name of your ship better than the horse-head. The second one: Most of the time ships are feminine in german. Well, in Austria they have their own rules according to wikipedia. But most of the time means that it could both be called: Das (neutrum) Springende Einhorn or die (feminine) Springende Einhorn. So I have no idea what to do with the 's' after 'Springende'. Your translation of Jumping Unicorn is correct (Springendes ( Hüpfendes, Tollendes) Einhorn). I should go to the harbor and spot there some names given to ships and ask people, who might have the knowledge, how to name them. So please stay with this extra 's' until someone clears this for me.  

#10 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

'Gast' is right about the mostly female ship names in Germany , though Wikipedia actually uses animal names as examples for none feminized names, so either way should be fine in this case.

In German an adjective is declined differently for each sex.

Here is a short example how 'springend' changes for each sex:

Springender [male] Hund (dog)

Springende [female] Kröte (toad)

Springendes [neuter] Einhorn (unicorn)

So if you wanted your ship name to be female and therefore considered 'Einhorn' to be female, you would indeed have to write 'Springende Einhorn'. That, however, sounds just ridiculously stupid, at last if you don't use an article.

You could also include the article, which makes the whole thing sound a little less idiotic: 'Die springende Einhorn' but still (at least to me) doesn't sound that great.

So in my opinion you can just keep the whole name's gender intact (i.e. 'Springendes Einhorn') and STILL treat the ship as a female e.g: 'Welcome to the 'Springendes Einhorn', isn't she a beauty?' or treat it as a neuter, e.g: 'Welcome to the 'Springendes Einhorn', isn't it a beautiful ship?' both should be fine.

#11 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

@Ulb : thanks for refreshing my very old german classes !

The reason why I did not use "Das" is just because I would have to change the font size (have a look at the Screenshot). Furthemore, my old memories of german practice "told" me that "Springendes Einhorn" doesn't sound too idiotic.

Thanks for the clarifications about the use of the gender for the name of ships of the Deutsche Marine. I knew that the french one ("La Royale") uses "Le" or "il" (male gender) when speaking about them (even if the name of the ship is "La Vague déferlante") while the anglo-saxon Navy prefers "She".
But I will let the translaters adjust that...

@Gast : I totally agree with your remarks on the graphic aspects about the "figure de proue". In fact, the screenshots were only intended to prove that it is possible to change some tiles according to the choice of the install language.

My map is a "almost beta" version : all its components are OK but the unicorn. I am  currently working on the very last step :

1. Adding a horn to the horse head.
2. Applying a "silver texture" to the wood.

Btw, thanks both for your help and your remarks that strenghten my own ideas and project.

As I know that it is possible to custom the maps, I will for sure ask you later for other translations.

Edited by Gwendolyne, 21 March 2013 - 10:17 PM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#12 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Glad I could be of help.

From what I've seen so far your project looks very promising! :)

#13 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

Thanks for your support ! :)

Sometimes I feel like I would climb the Mount Everest ! ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#14 -Gast-

-Gast-

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:13 AM

Sorry, Gwendolyne, but I am not able to help You on your way to the top! I hope, that You have enough oxygen to get there. I would take your map as it is, so Bouh might miss something, when he is starting to climb 'le(s) grément(s)' just for a look.

Manny thanks for your hard work.

#15 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:05 AM

In Italian you could say that as:

Unicorno Saltante (No article)

Un Unicorno Saltante (Indefinite article)

L'Unicorno Saltante (Definite article)

However the right one for a boat is No article: Unicorno Saltante.

Please consider that in italian capital letters are being used mostly as in spanish.

In a sentence, anyway, you'd say "[...] unicorno saltante [...]" (referring to the animal), but it doesn't look great to me.

In such a case, being used as a name I'd suggest "Unicorno Saltante" (both in capital letters). However, as in french you use capital for "Licorne" only ... you could apply the same "Unicorno saltante".

Note: You could also use "Liocorno" and, rarely "Leocorno".

But "saltante" is not right. About horses, in italian we say "galoppare".

"Galoppare" can also be used fig. to say "unstoppable", "very fast".

Thus... you'd wish to use "Unicorno galoppante" then.

Edited by Nightfarer, 23 March 2013 - 05:15 AM.

#16 -Gast-

-Gast-

Posted 23 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

Moin, Gwendolyne!

I have no idea, if this is useful for You: Take a look at:http://www.FastShare...ndesEinhorn.jpg

#17 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

@Nightfarer : thanks for your advice. According to what you said, I will use "Unicorno Galoppante".

@Gast : I am still working on it. Your image will indeed help me : I did not notice the ship missed the "haubans" on "her" left side ! That will be be solved !

Thanks a lot both of you ! :)

CARPE DIEM ....

#18 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:21 PM

@Gwendolyne

You're welcome. You could use "Unicorno galoppante" without worries, anyway.

In italian there's no capital letters matching (proper names + adjectives). Capital letters are being used for proper names, institutions, etc... but adjectives don't match capital letters.

#19 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:03 PM

We've got a very active Russian modding/translating community(arcanecoast.ru, and an old base at aerie.ru), so chances are high that eventually you'll receive a Russian translation for your mod and a request to make your ship name in Russian, too. :)

It'll probably look like this(see the picture below). The upper version is a nice-sounding "leaping unicorn", the second vesion is for "flying unicorn"(sounds prettier in Russian, without a difficult-to-pronounce bits).

Unicornus.jpg

#20 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have nothing against a translation into russian ! :)

But in that case, the translaters will have to give me advice on which font to use in order to keep the graphical design of the maps ! ;)

CARPE DIEM ....