[TRANSLATION] A few strings from French to others languages

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

I have nothing against a translation into russian ! :)

But in that case, the translaters will have to give me advice on which font to use in order to keep the graphical design of the maps ! ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#22 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

@Kulyok : Please can you check if the translation is good for you ?

gwbatl14.jpg

It is much more difficult to produce the wave effect on this font than on the western one ! ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#23 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Looks great to me! You know, a few years ago there came a (very good, certainly very popular, even internationally) Russian game about ships, Sea Dogs, and even they didn't have Russian names of the ships *on* the actual ships. I love it!

#24 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:52 AM

Nice to make you happy !

Since I have found a few fonts that bear cyrillic writing, my decision is made : my maps will provide a russian version ! :)

Thanks again.

CARPE DIEM ....

#25 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:01 AM

I wish to provide custom-maps according to the language of install.

Let's begin with the first one :

gwbatl10.jpg

The name of the ship is "Licorne bondissante" which could be translated into "Jumping Unicorn" (or maybe "Leaping Unicorn").

Would anyone please be willing to translate the attached file into German, Italian or Spanish ?

Or just confirm my own italian translation (Saltando Unicorno or Saltará Unicorno) and grman one (Springendes Einhorn) ?

So I would be able to create different bam. files to insert into the .are file.

If I manage to handle with them, all the "special" strings of the maps would suit the language chosen for the install.

Thanks.

The best translation into English of bondissante is "leaping", and "Leaping Unicorn" makes a much better name than "Jumping Unicorn" (to my mind, at least...more poetic or fantasy-appropriate) :)

The map is very beautiful, btw!

Edited by Eric P., 25 March 2013 - 07:02 AM.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#26 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

In fact, leaping was my first translation. ;)

But as I was afraid it sounds too strange for a horse, I changed it.

btw, thanks for your precision, as "leaping Unicorn" doesn't hurt your ears and sounds more fantasy, I will return to my first choice and change the layer. :)

CARPE DIEM ....

#27 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

And my last cosmetic changes : it is the best I can do with my rather limited graphical skills ;)

gwbatl15.jpg

I added a horn and haubans ("shrouds" ?) to the ship, with the italian translation.

The next step will be asikng for a few more translations.... ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

#28 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:52 AM

In the most technical of jargon, I say this rocks! ;)

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#29 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Thanks !

And let's pray that the mod will roll ! ;)

For now, I am working on maps and recoloring new dragons (metallic, gem, planar...).

But I was wondering if you could help me saving time in translating the title of the mod : "Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel".

"Royaume de Diamant Éternel" means "Kingdom of Everlasting Diamond".

For me, the most difficult to translate into english is "Menace" which means "threat".
In French, we can play on words and in that case, "menace" has a general meaning.

In fact, the Kingdom is ruled by a very old Order of Paladins and protected by a Great Silver Wyrm (Diamantor), a follower of Bahamut.
A group of fallen paladins try to make a coup d'Etat. They have made a common cause with a Grey red Wyrm (Feu d'Enfer = "Hellfire") and have founded a new cult.
In this background, "menace" refers to the "darken wings" of the evil dragons who attack the kingdom.

So, if any of you had an idea or propositions to translate the title into your native language, I will be happy to use them.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Edited by Gwendolyne, 25 April 2013 - 05:04 AM.

CARPE DIEM ....

#30 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

"Menace" is an acceptable English word, as are many French words thanks to the Norman Conquest :). (cf. Star Wars I "The Phantom Menace" which sounds a bit better than "The Phantom Threat"). Not sure I've seen a mod that has alternate tilesets based on language installed - very impressive, though perhaps a bit of overkill? I mean, couldn't you just put some sort of FR runes for the title and a tooltip (like on signs in BG cities etc.) that says the actual text depending on language?

Edit: "Prancing Unicorn" might suffice as a translation for "Jumping Unicorn" too (e.g. "Prancing Pony" as a pub name in Tolkien). Also, "Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel" literally would be "Menace of the Eternal Diamond Realm" in English I think.

Edited by Miloch, 12 April 2013 - 05:48 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#31 Ulb

Ulb
  • Modder
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:29 AM

Kingdom of (the) Everlasting Diamond (so the diamond is an object) would translate to 'Königreich des ewigen Diamanten'.

If everlasting diamond is more like an adjective (e.g.: a kingdom made of everlasting diamons), the closes thing (that doesn't sound stupid) would probably be 'Königreich der ewigen Diamanten' (Kingdom of Everlasting Diamonds).

The menace part is indeed also a bit tricky, I would translate it with either

'Gefahr im Königreich des ewigen Diamanten' this translates as 'there is a threat in the Kingdom of (the) Everlasting Diamond' comparable to 'there is a fire in town'

or

'Das Königreich des ewigen Diamanten in Gefahr' which would translate as 'The Kingdom of the Everlasting Diamond in danger'

Edited by Ulb, 13 April 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#32 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hello Gwendolyne.

Italian:

Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel could be said as: "Una minaccia sul Reame del Diamante Eterno", although using "Ombra" (Ombre) in fig., it can be also said as "Un'ombra sul Reame del Diamante Eterno". Personally, I prefer this one.

If you need other italian translations, feel free to send me a PM with everything you need. Pas de soucis :)

Have a nice evening.

#33 Kulyok

Kulyok
  • Modder
  • 2450 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

In Russian, the straight translation(Menace to the Kingdom of Everlasting Diamond - Угроза королевству Вечного Кристалла(crystal would sound much better than "бриллианта" here)) is tad awkward; might use "darkness over"(тьма над) or "shadow over"(тень над), or even "battle for"(битва за).

So, I guess it'll translate like "Darkness over the Kingdom of Eternal Crystal":

Attached Images

• EternalKristal.jpg

#34 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Administrator
  • 1016 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:52 PM

@Miloch
A. "Prancing Unicorn" : Even if I had thought of it (same references ;)), I abandonned it because in French "prancing" ("caracoler, se pavaner") sounds a little bit cranky, eccentric and arrogant, and does not suit an honourable Order of paladins.
B. I was wondering if I should use "Kingdom" or "Realm".
C. As I have never modded with BG stuff (just BG2 and ToB), I don't know what tooltips you refer to.
In fact, the only ways I found to custom the maps are :
1. Using .tra files for the region triggers.
2. Using .bam files as fake alternate tiles that cover the tiles of the map where are written the original french texts.

And, with Photoshop, it is not that difficult and long to do : between  15 and 30 minutes to create all the bam files and assign them to the .are files.

@Ulb
In fact, "Diamant" refers both to the name of the Silver Dragon protector of the Kingdom ("Diamantor") and to the origin of the wealth of the Kingdom, the mining of diamonds veins.

@Nightfarer and Kulyok
I do like "Ombra" and the russian translation (sorry for not writing it ;)) that refer to the idea of the "darken wings". At the very beginning, I was even wondering if "Darken Wings hanging over the Kingdom...." should not have been a good english translation.
So, I will choose those ones.

A great thanks for your help, guys ! :)

In a few days I will release a small list including all the little details I wish to introduce in the maps and that will need a translation.

CARPE DIEM ....