#1 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • 761 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 03:34 AM

File Name: Infinity Engine Game Launcher
File Submitter: ALIEN
File Submitted: 05 May 2013
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods

Infinity Engine Game Launcher is a tool for fixing *.ini files and registry entries for each game based on the Infinity Engine like BG, BG II, IWD, IWD II and Planescape:Torment when the main game directory was moved to different folder after installation.

So for eg: if "Icewind Dale" was installed in C:\Program Files\Icewind Dale\ and you moved game directory to: F:\Games\Icewind Dale, you will get an error when trying to run the game. This tool will fix such errors by modifying *.ini file and/or registry for BG/BGII launchers. You can always do those steps manually but why bother ?

How to use:
1. If you want to fix *.ini file and registry run InfinityLauncher.exe as Admin from game directory
2. If you don't care or don't wan't to change registry/don't have admin rights run InfinityLauncherNoReg.exe from game directory

Features:
- comes in two version, one that don't require admin rights but it won't fix registry
- support every game version like CD, DVD, polish "Saga Baldur's Gate", GoG.com
- support games without installed extension
- support games without installed pathes
- doesn't prevent BGII:ToB installation if you moved initial BGII install directory and then use this tool
- it will modify *.ini file only when the path's are not correct
- it will modify registry only when the entrys aren't correct and only for current game
- it will create backup for the first time when *.ini file is modified, no more backups will be made
- if there is nothing to do, it will start the game

Requirements:
XP: SP3 (Windows Update), NET Framework 2.0 (Windows Update), NET Framework 2.0 SP2Windows Management Framework
Vista: SP1 (Windows Update), NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (Windows Update), Powershell 2.0 x32/x64
W7/W8: nothing

Click here to download this file

You cannot have progress without changes...

#2 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Plebeian

• 124 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

Seems to work well. Thanks! Always have to do this myself, as when installing the game, I always name the directory "Baldur's Gate II" in a Baldur's Gate superdirectory...which, for some odd reason, both always have their apostrophe removed.

Only thing I can complain is that, while there isn't much reason to, it doesn't detect where the "CD" sub-directories are...I always move the CD subdirectories' contents into the base Baldur's Gate II directory, so that there aren't a bunch of the same files in more than one folder. But like I said, there isn't much reason to, especially given that this has a tendency to blow up some of the bigger mod installations...But it did autocorrect my "CD1:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\" to "CD1:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\CD1", for example.

(edit) Oh, also, you seemed to have miss a registry entry...or at least, it seemed to have missed mine. 

Entries under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.exe

...still reflected the original install location. Same with some DirectPlay and GameSpy stuff, but that's no doubt irrelevant. Without changing the App Paths one, I get the annoying "HURR you need to check out the game settings before you play the first time" every time I try to start the game up.  :rolleyes: (Using the regular version, of course - not the non-registry changing .exe)

Edited by Bartimaeus, 18 May 2013 - 10:05 PM.

TinyTransparentDharmachakra.pngTinyTransparentAnkh.pngTinyTransparentStarofDavid.pngTinyTransparentChiRhoAlphaandOmega.pngTinyTransparentPentacle.pngTinyTransparentStarandCrescent.pngTinyTransparentStarofLakshmi.png

#3 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 4321 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 12:34 AM

I get the annoying "HURR you need to check out the game settings before you play the first time" every time I try to start the game up.  :rolleyes: (Using the regular version, of course - not the non-registry changing .exe)

That's controlled by the baldur.in file, nothing else...

And about the CD stuff... if you move the files from the CD folders to the main directory, why would the CD1 to CD5's need to reference to non existing folders... you know, the files CAN give you an assertion error if they don't exist in both folders... it's a good thing you installed to the D drive, cause had you done it to the C drive, the location would have been an idiotic....
The apostrophe not being there is because the installation program doesn't accept the extra kind of character. Especially if you try to use the Acute accent instead, which is a non unicode character.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#4 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Plebeian

• 124 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:10 AM

That's controlled by the baldur.in file, nothing else...

Interesting theory, sir. :)
And about the CD stuff... if you move the files from the CD folders to the main directory, why would the CD1 to CD5's need to reference to non existing folders... you know, the files CAN give you an assertion error if they don't exist in both folders... it's a good thing you installed to the D drive, cause had you done it to the C drive, the location would have been an idiotic....

Ah...that's not quite what I meant. In the CDx folders, there are two sub-directories: movies and data. Since the Baldur's Gate directory already has those same two directories, I've always simply moved the CD \data to that data folder, and the CD \movie to that movie folder. Wouldn't know anything about assertion errors. :)
The apostrophe not being there is because the installation program doesn't accept the extra kind of character. Especially if you try to use the Acute accent instead, which is a non unicode character.

Yes, you're correct, it doesn't accept it...that much is clear. However, Baldur's Gate 1's original installation does, which seems nonsensical to me, but I'm not expecting it to be fixed anytime soon, heh.

TinyTransparentDharmachakra.pngTinyTransparentAnkh.pngTinyTransparentStarofDavid.pngTinyTransparentChiRhoAlphaandOmega.pngTinyTransparentPentacle.pngTinyTransparentStarandCrescent.pngTinyTransparentStarofLakshmi.png

#5 The Imp

The Imp

• 4321 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 07:03 AM

Interesting theory, sir. :)
Erhm, you start the game via the baldur.exe not the BGMain.exe so you end up using the reqistery entry version of the game ... dah. So you are essencially starting the wrong program, not the game, but the front-end program ...
Had you started the game normally as you should via the BGMain.exe you won't need to have the game even registered on your computer ... USB drives and all that installing and copy pasting from another drives etc.
Ah...that's not quite what I meant. In the CDx folders, there are two sub-directories: movies and data. Since the Baldur's Gate directory already has those same two directories, I've always simply moved the CD \data to that data folder, and the CD \movie to that movie folder. Wouldn't know anything about assertion errors. :)
Well in your case -something- auto correct it wrongly... as the CDx folders don't have files, the baldur.ini folders should look like this in your case:
[Alias]
HD0:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
CD1:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
CD2:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
CD3:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
CD4:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
CD5:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\
So programs like Weidu.exe ...won't loose their faith in humanity and overtake world ... erhm keep looking for a file that doesn't exist.

Edited by The Imp, 26 May 2013 - 07:43 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#6 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Plebeian

• 124 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:54 AM

Erhm, you start the game via the baldur.exe not the BGMain.exe so you end up using the reqistery entry version of the game ... dah. So you are essencially starting the wrong program, not the game, but the front-end program ...
Had you started the game normally as you should via the BGMain.exe you won't need to have the game even registered on your computer ... USB drives and all that installing and copy pasting from another drives etc.

Your point is a fair one...excepting that this program, the Infinity Engine Game Launcher, advertises that it changes the registry entries for you to, I presume, avoid this sort of problem. As you just pointed out, without using the launcher, it wouldn't need this to begin with...which suggests that, as I said, it's not changing the registry entries as it should be.
Well in your case -something- auto correct it wrongly... as the CDx folders don't have files, the baldur.ini folders should look like this in your case:
[Alias]
So programs like Weidu.exe ...won't loose their faith in humanity and overtake world ... erhm keep looking for a file that doesn't exist.

My .ini does look like that, though, (normally)...I was just saying it gets auto-corrected to include the \CDx for the CD entries by this program...because that's how a normal setup would be...er...set up, I guess. :P

#7 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:09 AM

Hi, thx for posting feedback:

Seems to work well. Thanks! Always have to do this myself, as when installing the game, I always name the directory "Baldur's Gate II" in a Baldur's Gate superdirectory...which, for some odd reason, both always have their apostrophe removed.

Only thing I can complain is that, while there isn't much reason to, it doesn't detect where the "CD" sub-directories are...I always move the CD subdirectories' contents into the base Baldur's Gate II directory, so that there aren't a bunch of the same files in more than one folder. But like I said, there isn't much reason to, especially given that this has a tendency to blow up some of the bigger mod installations...But it did autocorrect my "CD1:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\" to "CD1:=D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\CD1", for example.

[Alias]

I would like to avoid support of custom data files locations. Application assume that there wasn't any "personal" modification of game files structure.

(edit) Oh, also, you seemed to have miss a registry entry...or at least, it seemed to have missed mine. 

Entries under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\BG2Main.exe

...still reflected the original install location. Same with some DirectPlay and GameSpy stuff, but that's no doubt irrelevant. Without changing the App Paths one, I get the annoying "HURR you need to check out the game settings before you play the first time" every time I try to start the game up.  :rolleyes: (Using the regular version, of course - not the non-registry changing .exe)

Your point is a fair one...excepting that this program, the Infinity Engine Game Launcher, advertises that it changes the registry entries for you to, I presume, avoid this sort of problem. As you just pointed out, without using the launcher, it wouldn't need this to begin with...which suggests that, as I said, it's not changing the registry entries as it should be.

That is exactly the key that IEGL will alter. I assume that you run IEGL (no IEGL-NoReg version) as admin and didn't get any popup information. Can you post you registry entry's, game version(CD/DVD/GOG) and location of the ? I will try to reproduce problem.

Does DirectPlay and GameSpy stuff still works today? I can add corrections but is there any reason to do that?

Edited by ALIEN, 27 May 2013 - 09:12 AM.

#8 The Imp

The Imp

• 4321 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:19 AM

I would like to avoid support of custom data files locations. Application assume that there wasn't any "personal" modification of game files structure.
Yhe facts remain, that you save about 1 GB if you do as the above poster, as the very same data is stored between multiple of those CDx folders.

#9 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Plebeian

• 124 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM

@DirectPlay + GameSpy: I don't think so, and it's probably not worth the effort. :)

@Game version: 4+1 CD install, latest ToB patch version (non-beta).

@Registry entry: I am using the regular version, (that is, not the NoReg version), and ran it as administrator. UAC is set to at the lowest settings. Game directory is: D:\Programs\Baldur's Gate\Baldur's Gate II\ ...which is also where the program is currently residing. The registry entries stay the same, even if I run the program. No popup asking to change it, either.

@CD entries: It is not that big of a deal. If you know how to move the data and change the .ini CD lines, you probably know how to change them again after the program changes them. :)

Edited by Bartimaeus, 30 May 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#10 ALIEN

ALIEN
  • 761 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:39 AM

New version uploaded, thx Bartimaeus for you help with testing. Bug is gone now :)

Reply to this topic